Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/15/2023 12:58:44 PM EDT
I think people have  thrown around this question a bit.   I saw this article and had to read it.  

Upon reading it, a friend I know had to call BS on the prospective of the F-15 being slow.  That is simply absurd.

I would be interested in hearing what the pilots and aviation types here have to say.

For the sake of discussion, let us consider the optimum version of each of these.   I would suppose those would be :

F-15 EX

F-16V (Block 70/72)

F-18 E/F (Block III)

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/f-15-vs-f-16-vs-f-a-18-the-aircrews-perspective/
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Based on the eagles record I vote eagle
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on definition of dog fight. Close in with guns it’s probably the 16. Simple air to air using missiles as soon as in range…Eagle
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Engaging at distance, I'd go with F-15.  Close in, I'd go with F-16.  

eta.  Damn!  35 seconds.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#4]
F16

I'm no expert, and I think the F15 is better long range, but there ain't much that can out rate an F16 if it's anywhere near a dogfight
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#5]
If the F16 gets close, the F15 is done; it simply can't turn as tight. I saw it many times while watching hud tapes. However, the F15 has a longer reach radar, so it gets to strike first.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on definition of dog fight. Close in with guns it’s probably the 16. Simple air to air using missiles as soon as in range…Eagle
View Quote

SPNI

If it's a classical turning, WW2 style dogfight, F16 all the way

Modern "dogfight" that's BVR? F15
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
My understanding is that f15s turn the slowest of the 3, I think in a dog fight (turning) it'd be pretty close between the f16 and f18, but I think the f16 is faster accelerating.

So, in a dog fight I'd go with f16 first, f18 2nd, f15 third.

This is not the same as air superiority where I'd go f15 then f16 then f18.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends if the F-16 driver has an awesome soundtrack strapped to his leg.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#9]
F-16 if you make everyone play by its rules. (guns only fight)
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Which ever aircraft that can force the other in the fight their aircraft is best at.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You need a hades bomb too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Which one is in comms with the AWACS aircraft?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My understanding is that f15s turn the slowest of the 3, I think in a dog fight (turning) it'd be pretty close between the f16 and f18, but I think the f16 is faster accelerating.

So, in a dog fight I'd go with f16 first, f18 2nd, f15 third.

This is not the same as air superiority where I'd go f15 then f16 then f18.
View Quote

F18 is technically limited to 7.5G's

the 15 and 16 can pull 9
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Whichever plane is best at being inverted
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think people have  thrown around this question a bit.   I saw this article and had to read it.  

Upon reading it, a friend I know had to call BS on the prospective of the F-15 being slow.  That is simply absurd.

I would be interested in hearing what the pilots and aviation types here have to say.

For the sake of discussion, let us consider the optimum version of each of these.   I would suppose those would be :

F-15 EX

F-16V (Block 70/72)

F-18 E/F (Block III)

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/f-15-vs-f-16-vs-f-a-18-the-aircrews-perspective/
View Quote

None of the engagements mentioned in that article would have had been F-15s with the more powerful GE-129 engines that the EX has, though that advantage would only be there if it wasn't carrying CFTs.  

Is the fight guns only?  What about off boresight AIM-9s/-120s?

What is the pilot experience level? Having a second crew member in the EX and hornet would provide a bit of an advantage (that would decrease with pilot experience level).
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#17]
These sorts of details would probably be at least be considered a secret so I doubt a pilot who flew these would come in and say anything on this.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Which ever aircraft that can force the other in the fight their aircraft is best at.
View Quote

^This is the answer.  That means it's the pilots that will determine who wins.  

That being said, F-15 Eagles rule the skies.

ALBOB, MSgt (Ret), USAF
F-15 Eagle Keeper
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve listened to Eagle pilots admire the hornet for stuff the hornet could do but the eagle couldn’t.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Iron Eagle - Doug at the test range
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#22]
When I was in the navy I was an F-14 plane captain for a while so I spent a lot of time out on the flight line when we were back at the beach.  The hangar next to ours was some sort of skunk works type that had all sort of fighter aircraft.  

My favorite was the F-16.  It was tiny compared to the F-14 and F-15 and even the FA-18.  Just from what I’ve seen from the ground my guess is it can fly circles around the bigger aircraft.  I can’t speak to the weapons systems (only the F14) but I’m certain it remains supreme in maneuverability.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
F18 is technically limited to 7.5G's
the 15 and 16 can pull 9
View Quote
What creates (or enforces) that limitation on the F-18?

And are we talking about the old F/A-18C?
Or the F/A-18E Super Hornet?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When I was in the navy I was an F-14 plane captain for a while so I spent a lot of time out on the flight line when we were back at the beach.  The hangar next to ours was some sort of skunk works type that had all sort of fighter aircraft.  

My favorite was the F-16.  It was tiny compared to the F-14 and F-15 and even the FA-18.  Just from what I’ve seen from the ground my guess is it can fly circles around the bigger aircraft.  I can’t speak to the weapons systems (only the F14) but I’m certain it remains supreme in maneuverability.
View Quote

You probably saw the F-16N.. apparently they were special.  Like legit hot rods.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, but the Tomcat had STYLE.

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#27]
The F15 would just punch it to create distance, then reengage.

It has a shit ton more thrust than a F16 so can create distance.

Let countermeasures handle the missiles that would be inbound.

I know nothing about modern dogfighting, as my post clearly shows...
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#28]
When comparing the F-16 Fighting Falcon and the F-15 Eagle in a hypothetical dogfight scenario, it is important to consider various factors. Both aircraft have unique characteristics that contribute to their overall performance.

The F-16, known for its exceptional agility and maneuverability, is designed as a lightweight multirole fighter. It excels in air-to-air combat as well as air-to-ground missions. The aircraft's smaller size and advanced fly-by-wire controls enable it to execute tight turns and quick maneuvers, making it highly maneuverable in a dogfight.

On the other hand, the F-15 is a larger and more powerful aircraft, primarily designed for air superiority missions. It possesses a higher thrust-to-weight ratio, longer range, and faster maximum speed compared to the F-16. The F-15's advanced avionics and radar systems enhance situational awareness, enabling it to effectively detect and engage enemy aircraft.

The outcome of a dogfight between these aircraft would depend on several factors, including the skill and experience of the pilots, situational awareness, tactics employed, and the specific variant and configuration of each aircraft. Additionally, other factors such as altitude, speed, and weapons capabilities would also influence the outcome.

Overall, it is challenging to determine a definitive winner in a hypothetical dogfight scenario between the F-16 and F-15. Both aircraft have been successfully employed by various air forces worldwide, and their performance is highly dependent on the specific circumstances of the engagement.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I heard my name being called

The F16 and F18 are multirole combat aircraft and very capable, and the pilots need to be proficient in everything they do, not just air to air.

However theF15 is optimized for air to air and that is all the pilot does.

In a BVR environment I think the F15 has the edge both in experience of the pilot and capability of the jet. But it does hinge on pilot capability and can go either way.  Adding in the complexity of large scale ops in a hostile environment I think the Eagle has a clear advantage.

In a training configuration which is what we mostly do,  the F16 can turn up it's own asshole and in a close in fight in  clean configuration the F16 is a clearly superior turning machine.

The F18 clearly has better maneuverability very slow speed, less than 200 knots, but again in a real fight if you are below 200 knots you are fucked if there is more than 1 threat.

However, nobody hits the merge real world with a single missile on the rails and nobody willing throws out the anchor to fight below 200 knots, because in a near peer battle, we are out numbered and a sitting duck with limited ordinance and / or slow speed.

In a combat configuration with a full load of missiles except for the ones employed on the way to the merge, I think the F15 can turn tighter that both the F16 and F18, and accelerate faster with a combat load

The Eagle is big, but because it is big with big motors, it can do more G and sustain airspeed better than the F16 and F18 with a bunch of missiles hanging out in the air. But I am going back many years, things may have changed and I have never fought either jet with a combat load.

Being optimized for air to air has an advantage in a real multi aircraft engagement but the outcome squarely rests with the pilot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#30]
@mach

What is the highest you ever flew in a F15?

What was the view like?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#31]
why you think FX version is best for a dogfight?

Too many variables,  
if within visual range, and both slow,  F18
If within visual range and both fast, F16
If outside visual range, F15
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#32]
In a classic turning fight the big mouth/GE motor F-16 drivers will pour on the power and out rate just about any 4th gen fighter around the corner.

The superbug can get slow, crank it and point his nose at you. Kinda mitigated in modern WVR by high off-boresight missiles.

F-15 is the most wing and power at high altitude.

There are so many different versions, scenarios and load outs to boil this down to best. I think the latest generation eurofighters are probably the overall best performing 4th gen. Good AESA radar, high endurance, speed, turn rates etc. The F-16 is the most performance per dollar spent.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#33]
The one with the better pilot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#34]
F/A-18 just based on the fact that naval aviators are simply more highly trained pilots.  They face far more stressful operations than a runway pilot could fathom and in an all things being otherwise equal fight, should handle the stress better than the lesser trained pilots.  I would imagine there should be minimal differences avionics wise and they all use the same weapons, countermeasures, etc.  Plus the F/A-18 should be able to sustain more fatigue and damage than the runway based planes.  Maybe I am biased.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#35]
F15, especially the EX, mops the floor with the 16 and 18.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#36]
F-18 has great nose authority if speeds get low.

F-16A dumpsters all of them in a guns only fight.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#37]
debates like this are hilarious because all of those aircraft have programs that all of us are ignorant to. Things that play into the scenario and we don't know anything about and cant add them to the debate
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a pound for air to ground.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The F16 and F18 are multirole combat aircraft and very capable, and the pilots need to be proficient in everything they do, not just air to air.

In a BVR environment I think the F15 has the edge both in experience of the pilot and capability of the jet. But it does hinge on pilot capability and can go either way.  Adding in the complexity of large scale ops in a hostile environment I think the Eagle has a clear advantage.

In a training configuration which is what we mostly do,  the F16 can turn up it's own asshole and in a close in fight in  clean configuration the F16 is a clearly superior turning machine.

The F18 clearly has better maneuverability very slow speed, less than 200 knots, but again in a real fight if you are below 200 knots you are fucked if there is more than 1 threat.

However, nobody hits the merge real world with a single missile on the rails and nobody willing throws out the anchor to fight below 200 knots, because in a near peer battle, we are out numbered and a sitting duck with limited ordinance and / or slow speed.

In a combat configuration with a full load of missiles except for the ones employed on the way to the merge, I think the F15 can turn tighter that both the F16 and F18, and accelerate faster with a combat load

The Eagle is big, but because it is big with big motors, it can do more G and sustain airspeed better than the F16 and F18 with a bunch of missiles hanging out in the air. But I am going back many years, things may have changed and I have never fought either jet with a combat load.

Being optimized for air to air has an advantage in a real multi aircraft engagement but the outcome squarely rests with the pilot.
View Quote

Great stuff!
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
debates like this are hilarious because all of those aircraft have programs that all of us are ignorant to. Things that play into the scenario and we don't know anything about and cant add them to the debate
View Quote

It's like a Batman vs Superman discussion, just enjoy it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#42]
MUDHEN FOR THE WIN!
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Great stuff!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great stuff!

Just when I really start to think this place is becoming a lost cause a real SME posts something like that and keeps me around.

For anyone interested in this exact scenario look up Growling Sidewinder on YouTube.  Yes, it's a simulator with civilians flying but he has a ton of videos dogfighting different stuff.  The F-16 kills just about everything in a rate fight.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#44]
pitbull
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#45]
If you are in a dogfight, you probably screwed up. The idea is to shoot them down before you get that close. Where is your wingman? Is he out of long-range missiles too? If you did screw up, I would hope your training is way superior to that of your opponent regardless of what fighter you are flying. If I was going to be in a dogfight I want the A Team:  F-22, F-35, or F-15 EX. In this day and age, the B Team is not the best plan.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you are in a dogfight, you probably screwed up. The idea is to shoot them down before you get that close. Where is your wingman? Is he out of long-range missiles too? If you did screw up, I would hope your training is way superior to that of your opponent regardless of what fighter you are flying.
View Quote

Oh yeah...that goes against everything we learned between Korea and NAM. I korea we had a kill ratio of 13-1 and then in Nam it fell to 3:1 because our dog fighting skills lacked.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Whoever is driving it, makes the difference.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#49]
F-22
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#50]
This is the gayest question asked since "what this the best brunch on South Beach."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top