Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/22/2023 4:44:46 PM EDT
Currently in  NKJV but cross referencing it with the Amplified bible. While I understand it is not the closest literally, it is very close. Part of my problem again due to age is being raised on KJV and memorizing KJV. There were not many options out there back in the 70-80's. So everything I learned was out of KJV and it is hard to undo that. If starting fresh, I would likely go with other versions.

Anyway, NKJV here for now with a side of Amplified.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#1]
NLT
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
NLT, but use NIV and NKJV for reference and comparison as well as online references to get back to original language
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Used NLT for years. Great version.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the King James Version, but I in no way advocate the "King James Only" crowd.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#5]
When I do read it’s the NASB.

But I am also a flip flopper and vacillate between loving and hating God, so….

I’ll read, the stop,  then read, stop, etc.  But, each time it’s the NASB when I do go back.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
NKJV with Biblehub app for cross referencing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the King James Version, but I in no way advocate the "King James Only" crowd.
View Quote

Yep, I know those types. I avoid those types.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Catholic Bible:  The New Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition (NRSV-CE) is a Bible translation approved for use by the Catholic Church, receiving the imprimatur of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops in 1991.

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The Authorized Version.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I like American King James but I also check out other versions to compare translations...
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#11]
NKJV
ESV
NASB
NRSV
NIV
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Used to always be ESV, but have become a big fan of the NET
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep, I know "those types". I avoid "those types".
View Quote

I don't avoid "those types".

1 Corinthians 12:2
And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.

Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
NLT, but use NIV and NKJV for reference and comparison as well as online references to get back to original language
View Quote

Original Language?

Holy Spirit doesn't speak English?
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#17]
At present a Dixson Study bible, Thompson Study Bible, and a Scofield. Just kinda to see whut iz and aint.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#18]
ESV primarily, NIV occasionally
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Mostly King James but have also been reading now from the New American Standard,which is a little easier to read but does not change what is in the KJV.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I have an NLT but our church uses ESV (Jack Graham/southern baptist)
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Reading?  None.

Listening too?  CSB
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can't comment on accuracy (WAAAAAAY outside of my wheelhouse), but I've always appreciated the KJV the most, for literary reasons.

It just feels more poetic. Probably has more to do with my upbringing than anything else, but...you asked.
View Quote

Yep, the "poetic" part you mention I have heard before. And...you are correct.

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#23]
KJV, but then I also enjoy reading Shakespeare.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Original Language?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Original Language?

The Holy Spirit is in me. I speak english...so he kind of does with me...  
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#25]
The Jerusalem Bible (a gift from a family friend in my early teens).
The Revised Standard Version and Apocrypha, was used in the Orthodox seminary from which I graduated.
The Duoay Confraternity.
The ESV.
The Passion and Resurrection Gospels in the original Greek, again, from my seminary studies.

Also other versions are in our house, but the above are what I usually read.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#26]
KJV, although my daughter says the NKJV is worth a try.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

The same with me. I did only start reading and liking the King James Version in the last 7-8 years or so though. Before that it was the NKJV mostly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Was raised King James Only and all that goes along with that.  

No longer in that camp and read ESV, NLT, and NASB and a few others.

Pat
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Vulgate or Douay–Rheims
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#30]
NKJV
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I go to a wonderful Independent Baptist Church and my Pastor is “King James Only” and I use that since I grew up with that also  but I honestly like the ESV better since it’s written in the style of English we use today.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#32]
NASB for study. Pre-2011 NIV for light reading or teaching kids. ESV or HCSB somewhere in between.

KJV for poetry.

YMMV, but I believe those are the best modern translations. If I had to pick one it would be NASB. NIV is a little *too* 'thought for thought' for me. I am more of a clunky, literal person, and NASB and its stiff word-for-word attitude suits that personality well.

Things I would not do:

-Amplified Bible.
-TNIV
-The Message
-Any NIV printed after ~2011. There's an argument to be made that some of the 2011 updates improved it, but they also weakened it with some of their gender-word translations.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#33]
ESV
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#34]
KJV. Others change too many words. Don’t be confused or ill informed, the KJV is not hard to read. If you have eye’s to see, see.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Vulgate or Douay–Rheims
View Quote

We have a winner!
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#37]
NIV/NKJ
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#38]
NASB, and ESV.  Grew up on the NIV and KJV.  NASB is my favorite and was my go to translation was I was taking some seminary courses and needed to get into the text.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
at some level, we all have to sort of accept a certain level of domain-specific expertise that none of us have, and just sort of go with it. It's either that, or devote large portions of our lives learning ancient (and then various modern) languages. It's a big ask.
View Quote

I think every Christian - or anyone else who wants to learn about the bible, or church history - ought to be exposed to textual criticism and its history. A little bit of knowledge of different manuscript families/lines, translation controversies, how those were sometimes wrapped up in political stuff, the difference between word for word versus thought for thought, and so on, can go a long way in helping people learn to trust the bible.

Besides, it's a fascinating subject from a historical standpoint.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#40]
NLT/NIV.

Grew up with the King James/Luther Translations.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Douay–Rheims and New Revised Standard Version, complete edition.

I have several of those heathen translations some of you folks like too, as a reference.

I tend to quote KJV on arfcom unless the passage or book isn't available.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm not even Christian, but I went on a long search for "truth." I read just about all of them, including the Gnostic chapters. King James is by far the worst IMO. Frankly all of the translations are pretty shit because Peter was a pedantic idiot who didn't understand a single word Christ said, and then who became focused on control and manipulation right from the beginning. Fight me, I don't care.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#43]
KJV
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Joseph Smith Translation.

Kidding.  

ESV
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Shows you how much I know. I've never heard of it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Douay Rheims and New Revised Standard Version, complete edition.

I have several of those heathen translations some of you folks like too, as a reference.

I tend to quote KJV on arfcom unless the passage or book isn't available.

Shows you how much I know. I've never heard of it.

My, you must have missed out on some epic religion forum threads over the years. Probably good for your sanity.

But, https://www.drbo.org
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm not even Christian, but I went on a long search for "truth." I read just about all of them, including the Gnostic chapters. King James is by far the worst IMO. Frankly all of the translations are pretty shit because Peter was a pedantic idiot who didn't understand a single word Christ said, and then who became focused on control and manipulation right from the beginning. Fight me, I don't care.
View Quote

Wut  

You clearly put your trust in the writings of somebody else or your personal feelings.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The Holy Spirit is in me. I speak english...so he kind of does with me...  
View Quote

So English is one of the Holy Spirit's original languages then...though so...
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
NIV/NKJ
View Quote

2 very good choices
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I have an old heavily annotated NIV I tend to use most.  I don't even know how many translations I have (plus the UBS Greek).

I have to confess to a bias against the KJV.  A long time ago I was tutoring for Literacy Volunteers of America, and my student had one goal:  He wanted to stand up and read a favorite passage on Sunday when the pastor asked for members to do so.  A worthy goal (and against the rules of LVA, but whatever).  His church used the KJV and he was adamant about staying with that translation.  We worked for a long time on that goal.  He got there.

I came away pretty firmly convinced that understanding the Bible is hard enough without thrashing through archaic language and sentence construction that allow more errors of comprehension than modern translations.  YMMV.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top