Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/4/2023 8:43:36 PM EDT
Would your boss have a fit trying to replace you?
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everyone is replaceable.

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
lol, no...
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Might find out soon, but probably not.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#5]
100% yes.  I know more than the other 20 people on the team combined.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I am totally replaceable but the timing would definitely suck for the company. Maybe I should?
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I don’t even know how to do my job.  ???????
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#8]
No.  I am just one of 16,000 pilots at my company.  I understood that the day I was hired and worked as fast as I could to get into, "A position of FUCK YOU."
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a specialized skill set, but due to me and my area partners sales succes, they’re kinda set up nice for the next 3 years
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Lots of sharks in the tank.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Easy but also difficult. The job isn't hard at all. Anyone where I work can do it, it's just a huge learning curve to get good. If that makes sense at all.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd like to think that if I quit my company would explode like the house at the end of Heavy Metal.  The reality might be somewhat less dramatic.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I get around 200% labor productivity on just about every unit I build.
They won’t find a guy to match that.
Lots of welders around here, not to many good welder/fitter/fabricators.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#14]
They could replace me.

But they’d be in a lurch for a couple of weeks, and the dude they got to replace me wouldn’t know half of what I do or have half my dedication to customer service, and would spend the next quarter making one tenth what I do in sales.

And they know it.

Don’t stop them from treating me like shit though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m saying easy. I’ve let my reports know everything I know, I include them on everything/every meeting. They are a great group to work with and I never “manage” them. They know what is needed and what to do. To be honest, I’m worthless.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Pretty easily replaced. My team would probably work OT for a while as it would take about a year to replace me unless someone transferred. My numbers are pretty high also. But there is nothing special about me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#17]
If I quit tomorrow, my business would disappear.    
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Every company (or dept within a company) I've left so far has managed to replace me. Granted, it's sometimes taken years and multiple tries, but they've always found someone.

I have no illusions. I'm working for 100+ year old companies; they existed before me, and they'll exist after me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I say hard, but they'll just find a hack that tells people what they want to hear. Likely it won't catch up with them for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Took them almost a year to find me.

I've done a lot of custom work for them, which isn't documented (because they won't give me the hours to document properly - just like my last employer).

Yeah, somewhere between difficult and impossible.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I have an exceptionally rare skillset and have unusually broad experience and at great depth.

I am also the only person on the planet with anywhere near my skillset that is stupid enough to move to Ohio.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Very difficult. I’m not arrogant enough to say I’m irreplaceable, but I know the work and know how to innovate and motivate.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.  I am just one of 16,000 pilots at my company.  I understood that the day I was hired and worked as fast as I could to get into, "A position of FUCK YOU."
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#24]
My last employer found out the hard way what it was like to replace me and they still haven't found a competent replacement. It has been almost two years and I still hear the horror stories that are coming out daily from them. My current employer was without someone in my position for well over two years and truly appreciates the skill set I brought with me along with a good percentage of my customers from the previous employer
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Journeyman Carpenter, currently a foreman at a framing/finishes company.

I'd like to think there's 800 journeyman in my union who could replace me tomorrow.... but the reality is the pool we pull from is absolute shit
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Some people are more of a pain in the ass to replace than others.

I am at that point in my job career where I am neither irreplaceable nor someone they want to have to actively replace.

It's a good spot to be in.

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#27]
It would take quite a while to get someone up to speed enough to get the capabilities back, but there are enough good people in the industry that could do it well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I wish I could walk out of this bitch tomorrow.. I don't give a fuck if htey can replace me.. they can eat my shit right out of my ass...
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#29]
They had trouble finding me.
There was no other candidate.

Still, no one is irreplaceable.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#30]
They could replace me pretty quick as there are a few people in line that want job at my job if I was to qui but would lose 80% of what I bring to the table.

Everyone is replaceable.

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Everyones replaceable,

It might take a minute, week, month or more, but theyll eventually find someone to show up everyday and do the work
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I started this thread because tomorrow I'm at 90 days with this business.  It is a little bit out of my wheelhouse in my areas of expertise, but I am in charge and I have told my boss that within 12-24 months, I'm likely back to running my own company again.

My subordinate was rehired after a couple months away because of some of his actions previously got him fired.

He actually paid me a pretty good compliment when he said I was good to work for.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I am at that point in my job career where I am neither irreplaceable nor someone they want to have to actively replace.

View Quote

I’m in the exact same situation. It’s pretty nice
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use to be there, but we’ve hired some really good people and they’ve proven to be learners and stayers. I’m retiring next year, I have nothing to lose if they would ask me to quit tomorrow. I just want to make sure these guys stay employed, they want to work there and they depend on their job, and I’ll gladly walk out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
My boss? No, he quit around the same time so not his problem. That said I quit last week and there's no one there that knows how to do my job or my boss's job. They will have a hell of a time replacing either of us, mainly because of the industry specific knowledge. *When I started they told me it would take me 3 years to get fully trained. That was not an understatement, now there most senior person in my department is at 2 years and in the interview process at another company. I am under no illusion that the company will go under because I am not there, but it will make life severely difficult for them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#37]
fpni.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Everyone is replaceable.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone is replaceable.

I had a older guy getting close to retirement get really pissy at me for saying that simple truth.  

Apple is fine without Tim Cook
Microsoft is thriving without Bill Gates
Amazon doesn't seem to need Jeff Bezos

.... I'm sure company X will manage to replace me at some point as well
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
fpni.
View Quote

This is true too, you’ll be replaced or some other place will suck up that void.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#40]
They’d survive, but things would be really fucked up for a long time. I’m replaceable like anyone else, but there’s nobody else that knows the job, just bits and pieces of it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I’m “the” guy everyone on the project asks questions of. I’ve been on it since the beginning.

If I left, it would leave a big hole. Not one that could not be recovered from. But it would suck for the project.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I am replaceable, almost everyone is.

They would probably pay as much or more for a replacement and they wouldn't be as good for six months or more.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#43]
I dont plan on quitting, but with the way the economy is going, we have been told that anyone who leaves wouldn't be replaced...........which I don't believe for a second. But if things go the way some are speculating, some of us might not have to quit but be laid off.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#44]
I would like to say everyone can be replaced…I hope that is the case honestly. I hope they come along soon.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#45]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Everyone is replaceable.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone is replaceable.

Including the people with their name on the building.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#47]
I can be replaced within the skillset of the job, however my knowledge of tangential matter exceeds everyone else there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#48]
My boss would hate her life.  I have many decades of experience.

No one wants my job.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Ha!  I’d be replaced in a week with a libtard that doesn’t want to work, but has union protection and can get away with being useless!
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes

They would not be happy losing me
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top