Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/22/2023 10:18:46 AM EDT
For a while I have noticed OLD ACCOUNTS with low post counts suddenly posting heavily in political type threads.

Just wondering what makes a person suffer through 20+ years barely to not posting, with plenty of political events, and suddenly majorly interested in political goings on.  It baffles me.  

No one thread mind you, for months if not a couple years, very low post counts suddenly chiming in politically numerous times in those threads.

Welcomes low post count, old accounts offering insight into what made you decide to ramp up your posting?  Just curious about the mindset, what changed in you to want to get political in this day and age?
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Boredom, retirement, unemployment, or plain old fuckery.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Old accounts getting hacked.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I pretty much lurked until the lockdowns then decided it was more fun to be involved.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

We are in the age of information warefare.  This.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#5]
plus 1
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I have no doubt that long-time members are suddenly becoming politically active along with the rest of the country and need a place to vent. However, if ar15.com has ever had a data leak, I wouldn’t be surprised if a minority of these cold accounts were bought by our adversaries to influence elections.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
plus 1
View Quote

Good to see you bro.

Give Saladin hell.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For a while I have noticed OLD ACCOUNTS with low post counts suddenly posting heavily in political type threads.

Just wondering what makes a person suffer through 20+ years barely to not posting, with plenty of political events, and suddenly majorly interested in political goings on.  It baffles me.  

No one thread mind you, for months if not a couple years, very low post counts suddenly chiming in politically numerous times in those threads.

Welcomes low post count, old accounts offering insight into what made you decide to ramp up your posting?  Just curious about the mindset, what changed in you to want to get political in this day and age?
View Quote
20 years is a long time to hack an account.

20 years ago, people had different ideas about what a good password should be.

20 years ago the account holder had a kid who is now a leftist idiot who had to clean up the deceased dad's electronic stuff.

I bet if staff had a log of password change requests there is always one right before the start of the prolific posting. All it takes is access to an email address with an account here.

Point them out, berate them, then put them on ignore.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Agents being ordered to be more involved .
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
20 years is a long time to hack an account.

20 years ago, people had different ideas about what a good password should be.

20 years ago the account holder had a kid who is now a leftist idiot who had to clean up the deceased dad's electronic stuff.

I bet if staff had a log of password change requests there is always one right before the start of the prolific posting. All it takes is access to an email address with an account here.

Point them out, berate them, then put them on ignore.
View Quote
That is an incredibly interesting synopsis.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have no doubt that long-time members are suddenly becoming politically active along with the rest of the country and need a place to vent. However, if ar15.com has ever had a data leak, I wouldn't be surprised if a minority of these cold accounts were bought by our adversaries to influence elections.
View Quote
My former roommate was a low account ID Slashdot user (less than 100). He sold his account for $2k some years back to someone who wanted to use it for influence. There was some sort of ebay-like market place for it. He got tired of the woke BS and sold his prized account.

My point is selling "influential" accounts is actually a thing. Just like chinese scammers "selling" NYC area code phone numbers for FAX machines to use back in the day.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#13]
"Miles to go before you sleep, Yuri...miles to go before you sleep"

I've noticed this, too

BTW: I've got a 20+ year badge for sale to the highest bidder....less than 5-digits, don't waste my time.
I know what I've got
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Jacked accounts.  Heck, just go look at FB. You'll see tons of political posts with a time gap between current propaganda and the last post in 2013. Granny did not all of a sudden become a massive Biden supporter who believes in global climate change.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

In Chicago, dead people vote.

In GD, dead people post with estonian IP addresses.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There has to be a certain percentage of it I'm sure.

Edit: it's, 'warfare' briff.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Psyops. Trying to shape opinions.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#19]
For me I had an interaction early on with someone who was way too freaking cool for me to even be around, let alone post alongside. So, I just left and I spent most of my time on two other forums that had less douche bags to deal with.

It doesn’t seem to have changed much, but the news aggregation and perspectives here are too valuable to ignore.

I just don’t post much anywhere, but since I’ve been back here, what little effort I do use to post gets done here.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#20]
This!
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Boredom, retirement, unemployment, or plain old fuckery buggery.
View Quote

Fixt
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My former roommate was a low account ID Slashdot user (less than 100). He sold his account for $2k some years back to someone who wanted to use it for influence. There was some sort of ebay-like market place for it. He got tired of the woke BS and sold his prized account.

My point is selling "influential" accounts is actually a thing. Just like chinese scammers "selling" NYC area code phone numbers for FAX machines to use back in the day.
View Quote

Yeah, there are even websites where you can buy them. I won’t link them here, but they show up on a google search.

One of the perks of being a ‘22er is at least nobody will suspect me of having purchased my account.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Psyops. Trying to shape opinions.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#24]
But seriously, think how much you change over that time span. They may be very different people now compared to who they were back then. My opinions have changed since then. Having kids will do that. Losing friends and loved ones will do that. Growing older or maybe wiser will do that. Or maybe, just maybe, time is running short and they see a window closing and they want to impart some wisdom or get some stories off their chest. Never know I guess.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Funny how they have all the answers too. Seems like they have an agenda.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, plus GD is entertaining and informative.  And yes, libtards trying to change our chosen way of life using the force of gubmint tends to get folks more involved.

ETA: GD is also life-changing because it enabled my discovery of the $20 Amazon bidet.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I only had 2 posts before the last few years, I've been daily trolling in GD, before that I did the same at another gun forum and got bored with them and starter hanging here.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#28]
BOT Farms in Russia and Iran.  Those Drone attacks in Moscow were mostly aimed at BOT Farms.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43093390
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Old people love to bitch and whine about how much better things use to be.  Especially when it’s true.

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

While I see your point and agree that it's weird, I also lurked for 5 years before even making an account. Feeling an overwhelming desire to say FUCK BARRACK HUSSEIN OBAMA was what got me to finally sign up. So I understand the possibility that things are just bad enough now that they feel the need to say shit.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm just here for the entertainment
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Actually it is pretty simple question to answer. There are a lot of forums on the ole net. As with life, people are getting cranky,bitchy and just being assholes. People are leaving their old forums. It's a pretty solid trend. I wish it could be way more exciting like foreign agents trying to convert citizens to their cause. Nope,nada IMHO it's just people trying to be heard in a busy world where they seem forgotten.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I've been lurking more, because I'm in a lot of pain and want to hang with my friends.
Even if I don't know you guys that well any more, it's still nice to just hang out.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Not sure here but whatever it is, i'm absolutely certain it isn't  skynet using old accounts as an easy way around captica tests to push an agenda...

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#36]
I had an account 20yrs ago or so, deployments and life kept me away. Forgot login info and I have a shitload of retirement time now..
?shrug?
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Not sure here but whatever it is, i'm absolutely certain it isn't  skynet using old accounts as an easy way around captica tests to push an agenda...

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/image-461130_JPG-237-647.jpg
View Quote

You still haven't been approved after 7 years.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Sleeper cells arise!
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've been lurking more, because I'm in a lot of pain and want to hang with my friends.
Even if I don't know you guys that well any more, it's still nice to just hang out.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To expand a bit, the site forcing a password reset via link in an email to the registered email address would probably cut down on a lot of the noise.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#41]
What’s baffling about it? There are old sleeper accounts that have either been hacked or registered long ago.

Intel agencies (and probably other entities) heavily manipulate online discussion. You best start believing in propaganda wars. You’re in one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd be more concerned with infiltrating left and bots vs a boomer posting rants
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Sleeper account owned by groups.  Activated based on need.  I am sure there are hundreds of dormant accounts owned by just a few entities that are used to stir discontent or push a narrative on a very impressionable GD.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Someone link Yuri Bezmenov for us.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

And thats even with having paid for a membership at some point during that period...

Clearly, I've lost a ton of sleep over the issue.

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#46]
noticed this on a board i use to talk on.

it's either terrorist or gov agents.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And thats even with having paid for a membership at some point during that period...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Don't worry.  I approved you.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Wasn’t there an anti arfcom AR15 site of lot of banned members that were buying old screen names and passwords to come back and muck rake?

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#49]
So you are telling me someone will buy this account from me? Does the EE feedback bring a premium?
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Wow. Selling user accounts. What will they think of next?

Double digit user account here. Think I can get $10k for it?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top