[#2]
Urban areas (democrats)  are losing their tax revenues

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This right here. I'm in software dev. I don't have to do my job in an office, especially when my physical office is 750 miles away. I like to visit from time to time and build relationships but day to day is done in my home office.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Remote work isn’t going anywhere.
View Quote

Yeah it is, in large part
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

They shot themselves in the dick.  I care not if they bleed out.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it isn’t.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Theft of service has to end
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in knowledge work fields.   I am looking for work and I am seeing the majority of roles as remote. For those positions, it seems the companies want the largest possible applicant pool. Going local will screw them out of this.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, it isn’t.
View Quote

It’s already significantly down from what it once was.

As metro areas put pressure on large corporations/threaten to remove tax breaks, more people will be going hybrid and then back to the office.

Fortune 200 here, senior mgmt- I’ve heard the discussions.

Here
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not in knowledge work fields.   I am looking for work and I am seeing the majority of roles as remote. For those positions, it seems the companies want the largest possible applicant pool. Going local will screw them out of this.
View Quote

Not to mention international work now slowly opening up more.

Big business can scream and shout about returning to the office, but it’s not going to happen en masse like some on here secretly (and not so secretly) wish for.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As metro areas put pressure on large corporations/threaten to remove tax breaks, more people will be going hybrid and then back to the office.

Here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it isn’t.

Here

Most places aren’t metro, and more companies are popping up outside of those areas.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]
My son has a government job where he works from home

He and his friends look at commute times as unpaid overtime,  and gas, wear/tear on personally owned vehicles,  insurance, parking costs are laughable unnecessary expenses
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Remote work is freedom from tyranny in Democrat ran cities. It is akin to a bull getting out of a feed-lot.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Big business can scream and shout about returning to the office, but it’s not going to happen en masse like some on here secretly (and not so secretly) wish for.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now......if mortgage rates were still in the 3% range, companies might be able to get people to relocate.  At 8%.....that isn't happening.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife's firm just tried mandating 3 days/week and everyone told them to pound sand.

It's not 2020 bad, but it will never go back to prepandemic levels.

Foot traffic in Downtown Chicago is a fraction of what it used to be.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Somebody put up the @wakeboarder signal so he can weigh in on this.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

As soon as the cunt of DC Muriel Bowser said all the .gov workers needed to come back into the offices in DC so the surrounding businesses could make money off of them I asked, "what about climate change from all those cars being driven again?" Lib coworker went through some mighty interesting mental gymnastics on how it's different in that instance.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As soon as the cunt of DC Muriel Bowser said all the .gov workers needed to come back into the offices in DC so the surrounding areas can make money off of them I asked, "what about climate change from all those cars being driven again?" Lib coworker went through some mighty interesting mental gymnastics on how it's different in that instance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As soon as the cunt of DC Muriel Bowser said all the .gov workers needed to come back into the offices in DC so the surrounding areas can make money off of them I asked, "what about climate change from all those cars being driven again?" Lib coworker went through some mighty interesting mental gymnastics on how it's different in that instance.

Sort of like protests where cities literally burned were acceptable during covid lockdowns.

Amazing what those people come up with.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I just don't know how you put that cat back in the bag.  I have a friends that work from home since COVID pushed that.   At their companies many work from home pretty much full time.  Unless you are unlucky and your manager thinks its necessary to be in the office.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's already significantly down from what it once was.

Fortune 200 here, senior mgmt- I've heard the discussions.

Here
View Quote
NY commercial real estate is fucked.  No amount of governmental pressure is going to change that.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#21]
People won't go back to every day in the office, there's no point.  Companies that mandate it will have lots of vacancies
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I hope so. I want them to move back to where they came from.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's already significantly down from what it once was.

Fortune 200 here, senior mgmt- I've heard the discussions.

Here
View Quote
My company sold the corp office.  There is no where for me to go to work......to.  They are not going to buy another office lol.

A friend works IT for a law firm that rented 8 floors in an office building in a large city.  Not a "sky scraper" I would say, but floors 27-34 smack in the middle of down town.  So...I am sure the rent wasn't cheap.  The "corner partners" were the big dog attorneys with literally that, the building corner offices with floor to ceiling windows of the city below.

They have 2 floors left, they let the rest of them go.  They keep those two for servers, IT hardware and other infrastructure.  The only people who go there are the hardware guys and people who need to pull physical paperwork.  He said they have no plans of going back and everyone has scattered around the globe.  That the higher ups have expressed that if the company tries to make them go back to working in an office, they have formed a unified front that they will all go elsewhere.

The company then tried.  They sent out a notice to a bunch of people that if they didn't show up to the office the following Monday, they would be terminated.  Nobody showed up and nobody has been terminated.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't get why businesses are so crazy about RTO....I don't have to worry about it but my employer is really trying to move people back into the office.  Luckily I got hired remote before all this insanity started.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#25]
An unintended consequence.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I was 85% WFH in the Before Time.
2020 made that 100%. Now I'm at 98.87% and my boss said he would support me if I wanted
to work from Italy 3 months out of the year. (An option that my wife and I are currently reviewing ...)

It all depends on who you work for, and if you can be a productive employee on your own.
Companies want the fuckups in the office so they can look over their shoulders. Don't be a fuckup.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Depends on work but for most part; folks are never going back in.  

We took survey; 90% said they'd quit.  ALL the work we do can be done from anywhere and the single women w/children basically cannot afford the daycare, fuel, car, food, lunch and other expenses that come with going into an office.  Its basically a salary onto its own.

For a woman or even a family; the daycare savings alone are a salary.  One female said its cheaper for her to stay at home and take care of kids - than to go to work.  But working from home she oversees her two kids.  ALL her work can be tracked every hour; so this aint govt work where you can move a mouse every 4 minues. We can track everything all day long and the work gets done.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm starting a new job next week and one of the things that they want addressed is making remote work more accessible to employees.  They also want to figure out how to get more employees to participate in the 401k matching.  

I feel like I may be entering bizzaro world.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Why have a building that you have to maintain, clean and pay for?

VR, Teams etc has made office cubicles obsolete for office work. And this helps prevent the spread of Covid
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Do/Should WFH peeps worry their jobs turn into WFH peeps from overseas taking their jobs?

I’m sure they can find a cheaper workforce of all you need is an internet connection.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm starting a new job next week and one of the things that they want addressed is making remote work more accessible to employees.  They also want to figure out how to get more employees to participate in the 401k matching.  

I feel like I may be entering bizzaro world.
View Quote
Sounds like a post boomer world
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#33]
If you want my production to decrease have me come back to the office.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Do/Should WFH peeps worry their jobs turn into WFH peeps from overseas taking their jobs?

I'm sure they can find a cheaper workforce of all you need is an internet connection.

View Quote
Who says we are not the ones over seas?  I WFH, most of the time....but there isn't anything special about the 4 walls of my house.  I can work from anywhere on the planet and I have.  If I have electricity and my phone has an internet connection, I can do my job.

I have worked full work weeks, taken conference calls, the whole mess, while in resorts in HI. Not on PTO time, just....a normal week because, what does it actually matter? I have written projects and code, with my toes in the sand in a beach chair in Mexico.  I told my manager of my plans before I left. He said he really didn't need to know where the fuck I am, as long as the work gets done right and on time.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I just don't know how you put that cat back in the bag.  I have a friends that work from home since COVID pushed that.   At their companies many work from home pretty much full time.  Unless you are unlucky and your manager thinks its necessary to be in the office.
View Quote

Not to mention structural tightening of the labor market. Boomers are retiring and Gen Z is smaller. The size of the boomer generation resulted in oversupply of labor for the past 30+ years. This is changing and will.be shifting the long term balance of power away from employers.

Also factored in is the increased competition for high skill workers, especially in tech applications.

I do software development in banking. Even regional banks need significant teams if in-house analysts, admins, and devs to configure and maintain their applications. Ten years ago, banks this size had a fraction of that as they still heavily used paper processes and lots of clerical positions instead of automation. It adds up to increased competition for workers who can build and maintain this stuff

And for the inevitable 'they can just send the job to India!'.. LOL. I've seen it attempted with high skill (not help desk) jobs. Failed spectacularly each time.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is going to be so thinned out it will almost be nonexistent
Managers need to micro manage
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are publicly traded companies that are 100% remote.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm sure they can find a cheaper workforce of all you need is an internet connection.

View Quote
We experimented with contracting out some of our programming work to an Indian office when we were slammed and
not enough resources in-house to do it all.
The quality of what we got back was less than impressive. Took us more time to redo a bunch of the code we paid them for.
Management learned a valuable lesson there.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,
For now

They are all slowly bringing people back in.

Laugh all you want but you hear it every day of companies telling people to come to work.

I know it sucks but its happening

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I’m sure they can find a cheaper workforce of all you need is an internet connection.

View Quote

It’s always possible.  Many places have tried that and have regretted it.

Also many places have geographic and citizenship/residency constraints.

The remote cat is not going back in the bag.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not agree with this conclusion.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We experimented with contracting out some of our programming work to an Indian office when we were slammed and
The quality of what we got back was less than impressive. Took us more time to redo a bunch of the code we paid them for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's crazy is i had folks in IT that figured this out in the early 2000's and I still hear about folks trying it and it always turns out the same way. Well except in GD where any white collar position will 100% go to India for sure lol.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Bold move ahead of an election where they are likely to try to lock everything down again.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Lots of people around here are remote working. It's not like there are tech companies in southern Utah (as far as I know)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just don't know how you put that cat back in the bag.  I have a friends that work from home since COVID pushed that.   At their companies many work from home pretty much full time.  Unless you are unlucky and your manager thinks it's necessary to be in the office.
Lots of people around here are remote working. It's not like there are tech companies in southern Utah (as far as I know)

Locations are becoming meaningless.  I could set up a tool for my client, right now, in Azure and build, maintain, hire a team, etc. from anywhere in the world.  

…if he actually listened to me and stopped trying to run his business off Excel..

BUT I’M NOT BITTER

LOL
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Wait, so everyone that could wfh during covid, had to wfh to keep the business going, and now with inflation over the moon, they want people to basically take a paycut and rto, for what?

Are companies actually doing worse or is it just that the companies that didn't divest themselves of unneeded properties are stuck holding the rent bill?

Is there some kind of occupancy number they have to hit to be able to write off the property cost?

Or is it just that micro managers have to justify their job by how many people they can see on the floor?

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Friend of mine has a work-from-home job with an Israeli company.  Remote work really opens up what businesses you can apply for, and what workers those businesses can attract.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Here
View Quote

Fortune 100 here and we are adding close to 400 remote positions next year and transitioning enough employees to shut down 3 offices.  Goal is 75% remote by 2027.

EDIT

Profits and productivity have been steadily increasing since 2020 when all this started.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#49]
if they build drone semis id love to start and finish the day with a control station in the house.
use a vr visor and drive my drone truck and park it at days end. could even do shifts around the clock and keep it moving.

have meals at my table and sleep in my own bed.
they'll be doing that in a few years
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This right here. I'm in software dev. I don't have to do my job in an office, especially when my physical office is 750 miles away. I like to visit from time to time and build relationships but day to day is done in my home office.
View Quote
Who do you build relationships with? The chick at the front desk? Isnt everyone else at home?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top