User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/26/2023 1:51:28 AM EDT
Well?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:52:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I think flying lizards are something all dudes innately daydream about.

ETA: The more we know about how little we know about human history, I'm up for things like dragons being real at some point in time. I actually just thought about that yesterday.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:54:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Dragons were real and then the universe was reset creating the myth.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:54:18 AM EDT
[#3]
People found fossil bones of dinosaurs, mammoths and so on... and interpreted them the best they could.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I dunno, but it would be badass if Smaug was real.

What round for Smaug?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:58:51 AM EDT
[#5]
somebody took a time machine out for a few test drives, before the boss got back and laid down 'The Rules'
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:59:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People found fossil bones of dinosaurs, mammoths and so on... and interpreted them the best they could.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:01:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I asked chatGPT. If someone has access to Gork it would be an interesting question.

Is there historical evidence of dragons?

No, there is no scientific or historical evidence to support the existence of dragons as mythological creatures commonly depicted in various cultures. Dragons are legendary creatures that appear in the folklore of many societies around the world, often as powerful and magical beings with distinctive features such as wings, scales, and fire-breathing abilities.

While dragons have been a popular and enduring part of mythology and storytelling, there is no credible evidence to suggest that they were real creatures. The depiction of dragons in various cultures is generally considered to be symbolic or symbolic and rooted in cultural narratives, rather than representing actual animals that once existed.

In the absence of scientific evidence, dragons remain a fascinating aspect of human imagination and cultural storytelling, with their depictions varying widely across different traditions and mythologies.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:02:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Fire-breathing motherfuckers.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:07:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:07:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Everyone knows that without hollw bones, dragons can't fly. But I've heard they're excellent swimmers in murky Scottish lachs. Well... unless they're on holiday, in America, hanging with bigfoots. Bigfeet?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:11:25 AM EDT
[#11]
The same thing could be said about shapeshifters (werewolves, skinwalkers, Fox-Kitsune people), various types of undead (spirits, ghosts, vampires, revenants, etc) and of course Demons.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:14:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Hellz yeah!!!  Me and my kiddos love that flick, even if Christian Bale was such a beta male. My wife loves McConaughay, but doesn't care for him in Rein of Fire. I think he's badass in that flick.

Love this tune in the credits. It's perfect for that flick...

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:18:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The same thing could be said about shapeshifters (werewolves, skinwalkers, Fox-Kitsune people), various types of undead (spirits, ghosts, vampires, revenants, etc) and of course Demons.
View Quote

What about Balrogs?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:23:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:25:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Obviously dragons are real.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:27:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Are they based on Folklore?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:30:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Stupidity.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:34:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I’ve been wondering why dragons don’t have balls.

You would think a creature that can breath fire would have a huge set of gonads but nope, no balls.

Think how different Pete’s Dragon would have been?

Or how cool it would have been if Bard shot Smaug in the dick instead of some stupid missing scale?

It would have been high fives and beers for life for Bard and everyone would be like, that was so cool when you shot Smaug in the junk but noooooo.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:47:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Albi is a racsist dragon

Flight of the Conchords- Albi (racist dragon)
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:01:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Why European dragons have wings and the Oriental ones don't, even though they can also fly?

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:08:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
If flying dragons were real, they'd have thin hollow bones which wouldn't fossilize easily. The discovery of Dinosaur fossils didn't happen until the 1800's, dragons have been portrayed for hundreds if not thousands of years prior, and in parts of the world where dinosaur fossils aren't found.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:14:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’ve been wondering why dragons don’t have balls.

You would think a creature that can breath fire would have a huge set of gonads but nope, no balls.

Think how different Pete’s Dragon would have been?

Or how cool it would have been if Bard shot Smaug in the dick instead of some stupid missing scale?

It would have been high fives and beers for life for Bard and everyone would be like, that was so cool when you shot Smaug in the junk but noooooo.

View Quote

Historically speaking, t-bagging was considered the ultimate shame in China and Japan, and dragons depicted in temples and on printed silk screens did have massive balls, but they were only shown when you wanted to denigrate your enemy completely.

Samurai were often bi-sexual, and the art of t-bagging was considered a secret methodology of combined combat, especially when used in conjunction with a stinky asshole. The dragons that you see in temples in Japan and China often have oversized balls, and it may look like they are wrapping themselves around a moon or circle, but it is their huge junk.

Many tattoo artists will ask you before you get a dragon if you want the balls in, or out. If they ask you if you want balls deep, it is a good indication that you are gay.

Please make no mistake, they had balls, but they were withheld (innies) because it is the ultimate shaming of your enemy, there is no coming back with the balls, it is the death knell.

This man will create your dragon with balls, but it costs extra.

The Art of Single Stroke Painting in Japan | National Geographic

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:21:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I've wondered the same thing many times. Bones and fossils is the most rational thing I can think of but part of me really wonders if there was a world we just don't know about.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:29:30 AM EDT
[#24]
That's easy...

Dinosaur skulls.

Attachment Attached File

Looks like a dragon, doesn’t it?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:37:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

More likely than not; a mammoth school also probably inspired the mythological cyclops
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:55:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

More likely than not; a mammoth school also probably inspired the mythological cyclops
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:58:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's funny, "Mammoth Skull Cyclops" was the first suggestion that popped up when I started typing "Mammoth Skull".

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 4:00:32 AM EDT
[#28]
“Well some people think that 'to puff the magic dragon' means to... puff... smoke... a marijuana cigarette. Are you a pothead, Focker?”

- Greg Focker
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 5:40:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

All over the world?  In nearly every language it is similar.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 5:40:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The discovery of Dinosaur fossils didn't happen until the 1800's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The discovery of Dinosaur fossils didn't happen until the 1800's.

Uh, what? Why on earth would you think that?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Same thing with the Chinese zodiac animals.

All but one of them of them are commonly found mundane animals found in China.  Rat, rabbit, dog, rooster…..

And then Dragon.

If they threw in one or two other mythical creatures I would understand, but nope, just the one.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 6:31:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Dino bones
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If flying dragons were real, they'd have thin hollow bones which wouldn't fossilize easily. The discovery of Dinosaur fossils didn't happen until the 1800's, dragons have been portrayed for hundreds if not thousands of years prior, and in parts of the world where dinosaur fossils aren't found.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you really believe not a single dinosaur bone was uncovered prior to the 1800s?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Interplanetary plasmoids.
Read Saturnian Cosmology.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Do any of the tribes/people from the Americas have dragon stories (pre-Columbus)? I think it is an eastern hemisphere thing.

Dragon myths can be explained by the finding of dinosaur bones and the spread of tales/stories/myths along trade routes. People were trading stuff pretty far and it would make sense that stories could travel by word of mouth that same distance.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#37]
In his book An Instinct for Dragons (2000), David E. Jones (anthropologist) suggests a hypothesis that humans, like monkeys, have inherited instinctive reactions to snakes, large cats, and birds of prey.[14] He cites a study which found that approximately 39 people in a hundred are afraid of snakes[15] and notes that fear of snakes is especially prominent in children, even in areas where snakes are rare.[15] The earliest attested dragons all resemble snakes or have snakelike attributes.[16] Jones therefore concludes that dragons appear in nearly all cultures because humans have an innate fear of snakes and other animals that were major predators of humans' primate ancestors.[17] Dragons are usually said to reside in "dark caves, deep pools, wild mountain reaches, sea bottoms, haunted forests", all places which would have been fraught with danger for early human ancestors.[18]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

“Well some people think that 'to puff the magic dragon' means to... puff... smoke... a marijuana cigarette. Are you a pothead, Focker?”

- Greg Focker
View Quote

That's opium and came from "chasing the dragon" term used for Chinese opium dens.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Dinosaur fossils combined with Human imagination.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#40]
More importantly....how do you explain how basically every English speaking country had a version of Jingle Bells Batman Smells, before the internet existed?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Because the spoken word existed long before the written word....
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is some truth to this. I've read where people would find fossil shark teeth, like large Megalodon teeth, and think they were "tongue stones" from dragons.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#43]
I understand that Noah wouldn't let the dragons on the ark because they are fire hazards.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep

What’s really odd is  the similarity of the word “dragon” in different languages
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Same for giants
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hollow bones might be more brittle than regular bones, and considering what a dragon might weigh were they real, they might not be able to support their weight
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Didn't know I had to explain.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What round for Smaug?
View Quote

Arrow.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What round for Smaug?
View Quote

Start with 600NE and go up from there
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top