Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/4/2024 7:20:47 PM EDT
I am divorced with split custody of my two young daughters (5 and 7). I have told my story here many times before.

Generally speaking, my ex and I are on the same page with parenting. I happen to abhor Taylor Swift, mostly because I think she's a talentless hack and I cannot stand anybody that has a cult following. Seems inherently blasphemous. I'm not sure.

That said, my ex and many of her friends love Taylor Swift. My ex went to her sister in law's 30th birthday party this weekend and I guess it was Swift themed or something. I talk to my children daily, and my youngest was carrying around a life-size cardboard cutout of Taylor Swift. I said that I did not like her and that she isn't a good role model for young girls. My ex questioned me about this. Here's what I said.

1) She is a serial dater, and her entire career is based on trashing her repeated failed relationships. This is inherently disrespectful to men.
2) Her lyrics are indicative of a dark triad type personality - victim mentality, sociopathy, narcissism. It's extremely toxic.
3) She's a political stooge and leverages her celebrity to influence votes, which is just wrong every which way you look at it. Plus there's some sort of irony in choosing people when your entire career is based on choosing poorly.

Basically, Taylor Swift is a lot like my ex in terms of narcissism and serial dating, just richer and more famous. I find this to be the absolute last thing in the world I want my children to be. I would not want my son, if I had one, to date or marry such a woman, and I sure as fuck don't want my daughters to emulate literally anything about her personality or personal life choices.

The downside is that these are not things any child understands yet. All I can do is raise them the best I can.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
yikes dude.  you are DEFINITELY thinking about it too hard lol.  Doesn't everyone go through a dating phase in their 20's / early 30's?

Swift may have some issues but she's 99.99999% better than all the other singers out there today in terms of being a role model for younger children.  Just be thankful your kids aren't into emo or some shit.

Also, I'm pretty sure she writes all her own stuff and gave a big middle finger to big industry, so no idea how you can call her talentless.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Who do you think she is? Marilyn Manson?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with you on point 1, but "talentless hack" is a stretch. Not my jam, right, but you don't attain and maintain that level of fame and success purely by accident. She's also been reasonably shrewd with her business dealings.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yikes dude.  you are DEFINITELY thinking about it too hard lol

Swift may have some issues but she's 99.99999% better than all the other pop singers out there today in terms of being a role model for younger children.

Also, I don't like her music but how is she 'talentless'?  I'm pretty sure she writes all her own stuff and gave a big middle finger to the big industry.
View Quote

She might write her music but she can't sing or dance worth a damn. Her shows appear to be Hunger Games-type glitter bombs. Plus she seems to have written the same song with different words about 87 times. If you want to call that talent, fine. I don't.

I'm also not suggesting replacing her with another pop singer as a role model. Not by any stretch. This isn't to say another is better - just that she is bad as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
She has sold out to Satan.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#6]
First off, I don't give a shit about her, but he I am responding so crap on me all you want  Second, women shouldn't be putting off having kids at the expense of career goals/money.  Make all the money you want, but she's crossing into mid 30's territory and probably be close to 40 before she thinks about kids.  Not a great thing to aspire to, if you ask me.  Trying to have kids for women after 35 is not ideal.  I doubt any young girls understand that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Not the best

Not the worst

She's just too old for the younger generation.  That's why she isn't as popular with them as she was in the past.

She has less influence on young girls (unless moms are pushing her on them).

Think about who you listened to when you were young.  Whether it be Johnny Cash, Ozzy, Madonna, or NWA, they were all bad influences but extremely popular.

How did you turn out?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#8]
The best way to make your kids love her and her music is to tell them you hate it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#9]
U should go to a concert.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a whole lot worse out there than her. I don't think kids give a fuck about that stuff. They like her music. I'm not a fan but damn dude.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't project your failed marriage onto Taylor Swift.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#12]
She’s a liberal with leftist values and a huge platform. That’s enough for me.

Young Taylor Swift was a better role model.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The best way to make your kids love her and her music is to tell them you hate it.
View Quote

This is a good point. If dad shows up with glitter on his face and pretending to be a Swifty, the daughter will probably stop loving Taylor.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think about Taylor Swift at all.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#15]
She seems to be a very strong businesswoman or at least smart enough to hire good people and separate the good advice from the bad.

Can't speak to her music, as I know nothing about it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
yikes dude.  you are DEFINITELY thinking about it too hard lol.  Doesn't everyone go through a dating phase in their 20's / early 30's?

Swift may have some issues but she's 99.99999% better than all the other singers out there today in terms of being a role model for younger children.  Just be thankful your kids aren't into emo or some shit.

Also, I'm pretty sure she writes all her own stuff and gave a big middle finger to big industry, so no idea how you can call her talentless.
View Quote
I think most fathers hope their daughters don't spend over a decade in an unfortunate "dating phase" actually.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Kinda whacked out OP.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't think about Taylor Swift at all.
View Quote

Most normal folks don't.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly how it comes off.  Talentless hack?  I don't listen to her stuff but come on.  She is extremely talented.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Obligatory TayTay pic

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just knew the GD “Satanic Panic” crew would show up!
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Remember when the rapper took the mic away from her and interrupted her speech and Arfcom defended her? Buckshot_Jim remembers.

ETA: I have no idea what her music sounds like.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

she's like birds. shes not real. she is a highly sophisticated android created by the chyneze. one of her missions is to get young people to take the vax with the magnetic nanobots. kelce was real but he was recently replaced by a chyneze android also. supposedly at her concerts they spray covid nanobot vapors into the crowds.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am divorced with split custody of my two young daughters (5 and 7). I have told my story here many times before.

Generally speaking, my ex and I are on the same page with parenting. I happen to abhor Taylor Swift, mostly because I think she's a talentless hack and I cannot stand anybody that has a cult following. Seems inherently blasphemous. I'm not sure.

That said, my ex and many of her friends love Taylor Swift. My ex went to her sister in law's 30th birthday party this weekend and I guess it was Swift themed or something. I talk to my children daily, and my youngest was carrying around a life-size cardboard cutout of Taylor Swift. I said that I did not like her and that she isn't a good role model for young girls. My ex questioned me about this. Here's what I said.

1) She is a serial dater, and her entire career is based on trashing her repeated failed relationships. This is inherently disrespectful to men.
2) Her lyrics are indicative of a dark triad type personality - victim mentality, sociopathy, narcissism. It's extremely toxic.
3) She's a political stooge and leverages her celebrity to influence votes, which is just wrong every which way you look at it. Plus there's some sort of irony in choosing people when your entire career is based on choosing poorly.

Basically, Taylor Swift is a lot like my ex in terms of narcissism and serial dating, just richer and more famous. I find this to be the absolute last thing in the world I want my children to be. I would not want my son, if I had one, to date or marry such a woman, and I sure as fuck don't want my daughters to emulate literally anything about her personality or personal life choices.

The downside is that these are not things any child understands yet. All I can do is raise them the best I can.
View Quote

A divorced guy wondering why people date multiple people before getting married?

Weird flex but thats fine.

Don't be a blasphemous dude who ever gets re-married.  Thusly you'll be a serial marry-er and a bad role model yourself.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Indeed
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:37:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Women are free and independent now OP. Even married women. The only thing that can influence them is degenerate pop culture propaganda..
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

she's like birds. shes not real. she is a highly sophisticated android created by the chyneze. one of her missions is to get young people to take the vax with the magnetic nanobots. kelce was real but he was recently replaced by a chyneze android also. supposedly at her concerts they spray covid nanobot vapors into the crowds.
View Quote

She's a hologram.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A divorced guy wondering why people date multiple people before getting married?

Don't be a blasphemous dude who ever gets re-married.  Thusly you'll be a serial marry-er and a bad role model yourself.
View Quote

Boom!
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#30]
99%of her shtick is fake and isn't realistic for the average little girl

She is a poster child for the left
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

She's a hologram.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's a hologram.

She turned me into a newt.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Remember when the rapper took the mic away from her and interrupted her speech and Arfcom defended her? Buckshot_Jim remembers.

ETA: I have no idea what her music sounds like.
View Quote
I thought I had no idea but turns out just about time you turn on the radio and hear a white girl singing it’s probably her
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This appears to be true.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#34]
OP, what do you listen to?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow I didn't we would reach peak TSDS. Tay tay living rent free in your head.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn, I'm thankful my parents didn't try to control the music I listened to growing up (teen throughout the 70's). It's music OP, not the church of satan.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#39]
My 10-year old daughter thinks Tay Tay is awesome, my 13-year old daughter can't stand her.

Like most things with your kids, what they like now with be replaced with something new not too far down the road. Don't get too caught up in it, especially pop music. Their tastes will change.

It could be worse, they could be into gansta rap or k-pop....
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I guess let your kids listen WAP?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP, what do you listen to?
View Quote

This isn't about me. I don't think about Taylor Swift. As mentioned my youngest was carrying around a fucking cutout. I know the fucking GD white knight brigade loves her for some reason but this wasn't me lashing out at Taylor Swift. I didn't bring it up.

I don't really care what basement dwellers do. There doesn't seem to be any real attempt by any of the white knighters to defend any of my points (talentless, regardless of whether you agree or disagree, was NOT a point I made in why she's a bad role model).
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. I'm all for setting a good example for children, but unless she's singing "Hail Satan" you might lighten up some. As far as "talentless",

You kinda sound like some parents did when Elvis hit the scene.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#43]
OP, you need to really get a check on yourself.

Is she problematic? Sure, all people are. Is she a bad example to girls? In some ways yes, in other ways no. You don't have to play her music at your house. If your girls ask you can tell them your opinion. But you should otherwise let this go.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Go find the sluttiest pic of TayTay or the pic where she's glamorizing drugs or alcohol and report back.

Then let's compare that to, shit I don't know, any other contemporary pop star.

I think I'd be much happier with my kids wanting to dress and act like Taylor Swift than Britney Spears.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#45]
1945 Martin 000-18 demonstrated by Molly Tuttle | "Gentle on My Mind"
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#46]
I simply CANNOT understand the amount of attention that she gets.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He might be trolling with that but you can bet your ass a ton of people here actually think that. Along with globohomo, Biolabs, WEF, Nazis, I love Putin and all that. Pay attention to the names of the poster...
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

He might be trolling with that but you can bet your ass a ton of people here actually think that. Along with globohomo, Biolabs, WEF, Nazis, I love Putin and all that. Pay attention to the names of the poster...
View Quote

Don't forget space lasers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

While I didn't mention religion other than a passing reference to blasphemy, I would suggest you read the Bible. It's possible you're just slow and don't understand what Christianity and the Bible says about divorce and remarriage.

I don't know, maybe you think Taylor Swift has just been searching for the right guy for the last 16 years in the hopes of creating a marriage and family. I'm sure that's it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Man .. I survived two teenage girls that listened to nothing but One Direction.  The HORROR!

Swift is probably one of the more wholesome airheads to come into pop music for a while, so you have nothing to complain about.

If you have another kid, you have to start influencing them earlier, so they listen to cool shit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top