Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/12/2024 11:19:33 PM EDT

I have been hearing of Dollar General Stores closing and having staffing issues.

Makes me smile a bit.  When I was younger I worked in similar type stores.  Over worked, under paid, and treated like crap. I heard more then once from owners and managers that if I didn't like the job to just quit. I guess the employees at that Dollar General did. Good for them

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13188365/wisconsin-dollar-general-shut-staff-quits.html

General chaos! Wisconsin Dollar General store shuts down after its ENTIRE workforce QUITS at the same time due to being forced to work seven days per week

Six staff members, including manager Trina Tribolet, quit their job at a Wisconsin Dollar General store due to being underpaid and overworked
   Tribolet also said that the company's food donation policy was also one of the reasons the entire staff decided to resign
   In a statement released after the walkout, the company confirmed that the store had been closed for three hours on March 9 due to the walkout

A Dollar General store in Wisconsin had been forced to remain closed after its entire staff resigned due to being underpaid and overworked.

Six staff members, including manager Trina Tribolet, at the Mineral Point store did not show up to open doors on March 9 and instead left a handmade sign saying they quit the night before.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I have been hearing of Dollar General Stores closing and having staffing issues.

Makes me smile a bit.  When I was younger I worked in simular type stores.  Over worked, under paid, and treated like crap. I heard more then one from owners and managers that if I didn't the job to just quit. I guess the employees at that Dollar General did. Good for them

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13188365/wisconsin-dollar-general-shut-staff-quits.html

General chaos! Wisconsin Dollar General store shuts down after its ENTIRE workforce QUITS at the same time due to being forced to work seven days per week

Six staff members, including manager Trina Tribolet, quit their job at a Wisconsin Dollar General store due to being underpaid and overworked
   Tribolet also said that the company's food donation policy was also one of the reasons the entire staff decided to resign
   In a statement released after the walkout, the company confirmed that the store had been closed for three hours on March 9 due to the walkout

A Dollar General store in Wisconsin had been forced to remain closed after its entire staff resigned due to being underpaid and overworked.

Six staff members, including manager Trina Tribolet, at the Mineral Point store did not show up to open doors on March 9 and instead left a handmade sign saying they quit the night before.

View Quote

I have literally never set foot in one and I never plan to.

Doesn't affect me.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Seen it here before recently. Small BFE store was being staffed by people from three surrounding stores on top of their shift there, lasted two weeks before they quit going.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The one closest to me runs with one person working regularly. Not safe at all boxes stacked everywhere because they have no one to stock shelves.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]
There aren't many jobs in this world that are worth going to 7 days a week, especially not Dollar General.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Our local DG has shut down randomly many times because of lack of staff.

Can't say I blame them. Seems like a terrible place to work.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Good for them
They could make as much in other places
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]
They don't deserve $15 an hou- ACK!

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The one closest to me runs with one person working regularly. Not safe at all boxes stacked everywhere because they have no one to stock shelves.
View Quote

We are covered in them here. Not uncommon to see two within a mile or two of each other on the same road

Same thing. One employee. It’s insanity.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]
lol

There’s probably fifty of them within thirty miles of my house…… their prices are good but some of them are managed poorly. One near my old house had so much inventory going out the back door they fired the entire crew and charged a couple of them with theft.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#10]
“Tribolet also said that while she is currently on a mental health break, the rest of her former team already have new jobs. “
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good for them
They could make as much in other places
View Quote
Dollar General is legitimately one of the worst places to work for. They were still paying $7.25 an hour well after other wagie jobs bumped their pay up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
“Tribolet also said that while she is currently on a mental health break, the rest of her former team already have new jobs. “
View Quote

Can't be hard at all to replace a fucking dollar store for employment opportunities.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Seems like it would make more sense to limit the store hours and shut down on Sundays if you can't find enough staffing to operate 7 days a week.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Seems like it would make more sense to limit the store hours and shut down on Sundays if you can't find enough staffing to operate 7 days a week.
View Quote

Corporate greed Sir.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Now they have the self checkout machine they usually have 2 people working the whole place with one just jumping back and forth to the front.  Fuck all that for just over minimum wage.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Corporate greed Sir.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Corporate greed Sir.

Exactly some of those corps will suck the last drop out desert ocean.  I worked big box retail for to long.  Say a job requires 2 hours to complete, corp and management says you have an hour to do it. If you don't do it in that time they will say you are lazy.

They treat employees as numbers.  We need you to come in at 12AM to complete a remodel....Work all night.  Get called in the next morning because somebody didn't show up or management didn't schedule enough people.   If you say something about it, then you get yelled at for not being available at all times.

Policies change on a whim.  Make a customer mad and they want to fire you because you did follow store policy to the letter.  Places like that made me hate life
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Apparently ass chewins in petty little domineering fiefdoms over minimum wage gigs are becoming another victim of covid

"Here's my 2 weeks notice. This will be my last shift and I'm not coming back, fuck you!"
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Local Dollar General store is always understaffed. Cashier stocks shelves and does everything else.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Our "go to" is a Family Dollar. Has everything we need on a day to day basis. Our little "town" is about 500 people. There's a bank branch, filling station with food and a Post Office. We have no issues driving 60 miles one way to a Sams or similar. FedEx or UPS will bring us whatever we want for the most part. The Family Dollar is fairly busy but I have no idea about their financials. Being a 22 mile RT from our place to Walmart makes folks think about gas prices for short trips. It makes no difference to us but to many the gas cost hurts if you make the drive frequently.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Apparently ass chewins in petty little domineering fiefdoms over minimum wage gigs are becoming another victim of covid

"Here's my 2 weeks notice. This will be my last shift and I'm not coming back, fuck you!"
View Quote

Screw giving the employer 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#21]
You know you’re in a small town when the dollar store is the center
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Local Dollar General store is always understaffed. Cashier stocks shelves and does everything else.
View Quote

One that I go to sometimes looks like hell.  Boxes scattered around, and disorganized.  I will say though that the employees I see in there, all one or two of them, are busting their ass. Looks to me that the store is way under staffed.   One or two people can only do so much in  a day.  No matter how hard they work and what corp thinks on person can do
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:56:23 PM EDT
[#23]
That avocado toast must taste good. If those employees kept working at dollar general 7 days a week for the next 52 years they might be able to buy a house like I did at 18 with only my NAPA cashier job and paper route on the weekends.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That avocado toast must taste good. If those employees kept working at dollar general 7 days a week for the next 52 years they might be able to buy a house like I did at 18 with only my NAPA cashier job and paper route on the weekends.
View Quote

You must have pulled your boot straps really hard.  Did you look your boss in the eye and over a firm handshake too?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Exactly some of those corps will suck the last drop out desert ocean.  I worked big box retail for to long.  Say a job requires 2 hours to complete, corp and management says you have an hour to do it. If you don't do it in that time they will say you are lazy.

They treat employees as numbers.  We need you to come in at 12AM to complete a remodel....Work all night.  Get called in the next morning because somebody didn't show up or management didn't schedule enough people.   If you say something about it, then you get yelled at for not being available at all times.

Policies change on a whim.  Make a customer mad and they want to fire you because you did follow store policy to the letter.  Places like that made me hate life
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
There aren't many jobs in this world that are worth going to 7 days a week, especially not Dollar General.

As a general rule; Retail sucks! You don't work those jobs unless you are willing to have no life. So you might as well start at decent pay!

It's been my personal experience that earning a living is often not pleasant. You will be subjected to the same stressful environments at any hourly paid job whether it's $10 an hour or $38 an hour. Might as well stay out of the $10 an hour jobs and learn the skills to work the $38 an hour job. Same crappy hours, and you're not appreciated either way no matter what they pay. So go for high hourly.... because you will stay at that salary.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Have Todd call me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:26:09 AM EDT
[#27]
so both employees quit
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:30:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
so both employees quit
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:34:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Fuck the Dollar Store corporation!!

Tampa Dollar General store manager fired after TikTok posts about challenges at the job
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:49:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah. It’s an interesting business model. Open a store every mile along a highway and then only staff it with one person at a time who must stock shelves, practice loss prevention and check out customers who refuse to use the self-scan.

Ones around me are notorious for shelves being bare with boxes of merchandise stacked in the aisles waiting to be stocked and the price stickers on the shelves being out of date.

Sad because they are sorta reasonably priced if you want the convenience of shopping nearby for a quick run in for a couple of items. You’re going to pay more, but not by near the margin that a convenience store charges.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:17:33 AM EDT
[#31]
oof
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:46:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ones around me are notorious for shelves being bare with boxes of merchandise stacked in the aisles waiting to be stocked and the price stickers on the shelves being out of date.

Sad because they are sorta reasonably priced if you want the convenience of shopping nearby for a quick run in for a couple of items. You’re going to pay more, but not by near the margin that a convenience store charges.
View Quote

Like  McDonald's they have reached a point of saturation.  They have opened a quantity of stores that is greater than the    available labor pool that can adequately staff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:48:01 AM EDT
[#33]
They got jobs at the $1.50 store for a 50% raise.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:54:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Since there only ever seems to be 2-3 people on duty at the dollar general anyways...they'd probably do better to pay the 2-3 really well, expect more of them, and be more selective towards who they hire?????
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:08:17 AM EDT
[#35]
All my local dollar stores are like ghost towns as far as employees go.

Most guys I work with use them for the bathrooms.

I wanna say they’re all on $11 an hour
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:13:48 AM EDT
[#36]
I like the Dollar General store near me
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:14:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Around here the clerks start at $16 and can go as high as $35
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:21:18 AM EDT
[#38]
My sister worked at one for a second job last year. She was 1 of 3 employees in that store. By her 3rd day she was by herself.

It paid like crap, but she could make her own hours and it was super flexible in when she could work which is what she needed. She didn't mind the job though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:26:39 AM EDT
[#39]
That happened in the Dallas area a few months back.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:46:21 AM EDT
[#40]
You pay a lot for the convenience. In rural or semi rural areas it's either them because they built one every 5 miles or drive an hour to another store. But like a lot of other jobs if your plan is to live solely on that job for more than a short time you have other issues.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:49:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was my experience of the only one I ever set foot in also.

Stacks of boxes everywhere, blocking aisles and even fire exits.

I'm surprised the fire marshal hasn't shut them down.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:50:27 AM EDT
[#42]
My middle son worked at DG as his first real job. He despised the methed out mental patient customers and the crazy low wages. He went to work at Publix as a meat cutter soon after. His pay doubled and he really likes working there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:01:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have literally never set foot in one and I never plan to.

Doesn't affect me.

View Quote

I certainly wish they would treat their employees better but these stores do have a purpose.  In many small towns dollar stores (Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree) are the only retail outlets where you can buy staples without driving an hour each way.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:03:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. It often only has a single person working in the store.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:07:41 AM EDT
[#45]
I can only imagine the dredges of society that you would get to work at Dollar General. I'm sure they are top tier employees that are building their experience and skillset to move up to say Burger King or Taco Bell.

Caddyshack- The World Need Ditch Diggers, Too
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:28:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Our local DG has shut down randomly many times because of lack of staff.

Can't say I blame them. Seems like a terrible place to work.
View Quote

Same.   Last year was especially bad for rando closings.   And it’s always a mess.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

The ones in my town (4 of them) close early all the time because they don't have any staff yet they just built another one a few miles away in the next town.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:54:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dollar Store is known for bad working conditions and constantly understaffing stores.

I imagine lot of their customers are drama too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:56:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

They'll often have one employee running the entire place.

Like if you're a new hire, they hand you a key and you basically run the store by yourself.

That's why there is inventory just laying in the aisles and the stores feel chaotic, it's likely some brand new person running the entire store.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#50]
We have 2 in our town about a mile apart. Never been in them.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top