Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/2/2024 10:53:38 AM EDT

I wonder how does it compare to the older Ozark Trail?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks exactly like a wave.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Will you still have it 20yrs later?

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
damn straight.

because harbour freight will keep replacing it under warranty until they're no longer made.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Gerber with the springy pliers and easy knife access from thumb things for the win.

Victorinox for looking cool and breaking off brittle nails.

40 bucks isn't cheap enough for that happy meal grade toy with piss poor metallurgy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#8]
$20? Maybe.

$40? Nah.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#9]

I saw No clones in that post?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Just get the leatherman
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just get the leatherman
View Quote

Yes, if you want a cheap one get an old supertool off Ebay.

I'm kind of gay for them though, I have about 8 different ones.  I carry the new Arc most of the time these days, i modified it to take full size hex bits.

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#12]

This one is on Amazon.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#13]
At least they are upfront about being commies. Unlike the real Leatherman who tried to hide it
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#14]

That's why I stopped buying Gerbers.

I can only imagine how shitty a true "off brand" would be.

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I lost my Wave tool recently and am just taking a whole new direction. I bought some 4×8×2 tool pouches and will pack in some real tools. A magnetic bit driver with asst of bits and nut drivers a good folding knife d2 steel. A small vice grip, 6" crescent, needle nose pliers and a small craftsman self adjusting pliers, tack puller pry bar, tiny file set, surgical scissors. Some tweezers. Will probably upgrade to a knipex pliers wrench and water pump pliers.  And a 18850 led light. My pouches are coming today. Hope it will all go in one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Reatherman
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Reatherman
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I got the Amazon version of the leatherman raptors.

Not gonna lie, it does the job pretty well.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#19]

had a $10 pair with winchester name on them that broke like that second use.  I think I lost my leatherman that was a gift 30 years ago. but I won't give them any money now.

was looking at the multitasker ones, but think they stopped making them, and just the pen tool now.  though they were like $200
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Our state surplus store charges $30 for Leatherman Waves in that same condition, lol.  If you read the comments in that reddit thread there’s a bunch of “so, just like a leatherman” posts….
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just get the leatherman
View Quote

$120 now.  This one is $35 with a coupon.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Our state surplus store charges $30 for Leatherman Waves in that same condition, lol.  If you read the comments in that reddit thread there's a bunch of "so just like a leatherman" posts .
View Quote
why are you paying $30 for broken leatherman waves?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

$120 now.  This one is $35 with a coupon.
View Quote
i will buy one with a 20% off coupin, for i am a shameless harbour freight sloot.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks exactly like a wave.
View Quote

Wave patents ran out years ago.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
i will buy one with a 20% off coupin, for i am a shameless harbour freight sloot.
View Quote

I got one but haven’t opened it yet.  Want to test it against my first gen Wave I got for $10 at the thrift store. I got a Charge with bit kit accessories and pouch for same money at the same thrift store, lol. That thrift store moved out of Austin unfortunately..
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I say go for it.  $40, whatever.  

My issue with multitools is, they do everything so shitty...that's it's almost not worth having it.  Sure, better than nothing but outside of the knife and pliers, not by much.  

Thus, I'm not willing to pay much for them because I don't value them at the level of their cost.  For $100, I think you're better with a $40 folding knife, a $10 mini plier from HF and then keep the $50.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
why are you paying $30 for broken leatherman waves?
View Quote

I’m not, but there’s a whole secondary market for replacement parts and mods on auction sites.  There’s guys that buy the broken ones and scavenge the parts to sell. Handles, blades, pivot screws, spacers, tools etc.

Leatherman jacked up prices on tools and parts a while back and they scrutinize repairs and warranty claims a lot more closely now. It’s only boosted the secondary market on parts.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I have 2 Wave Leatherman's , one I bought new ($30) and one I bought used ($15).
The used one was at a gun show and is in perfect condition.

None of mine has suffered any kind of breakage or problems.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My issue with multitools is, they do everything so shitty...that's it's almost not worth having it.  Sure, better than nothing but outside of the knife and pliers, not by much.  

Thus, I'm not willing to pay much for them because I don't value them at the level of their cost.  For $100, I think you're better with a $40 folding knife, a $10 mini plier from HF and then keep the $50.
View Quote

They’ve saved my ass several times being out in BFE with a rental car, a suitcase and nobody around for miles.  The tool you have with you beats the tools you don’t.

Another tip, zip ties, always have some zip ties.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I own two original Leatherman tools that I bought in 1987. Still going strong, although the cheap leather sheaths rotted away years ago. They don't see heavy usage, but they're great in a pinch when a full tool kit isn't available!
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This happened to my SOG PowerAssist when I tried to use the wire cutter to cut a dime in half (saw someone test it the same way, successfully I might add, on YouTube back in 2012-13).
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Fookin' hell.
View Quote
we'll be iussed Great ValueTM leatherman waves as conscripts in WWIII.

trying to fix the cybertrucks headed to the front and the GV leatherman snaps upon first use.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

trying to fix the cybertrucks headed to the front and the GV leatherman snaps upon first use.
View Quote

The Walmart Ozark Trail Multiforce plier has been out for years.  It just had a price increase too though. It actually solved a few of the Wave’s design issues.
Ozark Trail Multitool the Multiforce
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fookin' hell.

I am not looking forward to trading my Panera Bread "physical fighting person's adult daytime snack" (COPYRIGHT PENDING) bread and dehydrated organic onion soup ration for a steer-by-wire assembly subline to a Motor T pog who will just use a GORDON tool to fix the cybertruck

Cries in Musk
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I am not looking forward to trading my Panera Bread "physical fighting person's adult daytime snack" (COPYRIGHT PENDING) bread and dehydrated organic onion soup ration for a steer-by-wire assembly subline to a Motor T pog who will just use a GORDON tool to fix the cybertruck

Cries in Musk
View Quote

JLP3: does this mean Lujan's not coming?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Can I get one with "LURCH" engraved instead of "GORDON"?  
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Just get a daicamping  dl30 or dl7
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
At least they are upfront about being commies. Unlike the real Leatherman who tried to hide it
View Quote

Hahah this is exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#40]

I saw "Made in China" on the back of the package (12:30).
I was hoping for Taiwan, but figured that was hoping for too much.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Love it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Gerber with the springy pliers and easy knife access from thumb things for the win.

Victorinox for looking cool and breaking off brittle nails.

40 bucks isn't cheap enough for that happy meal grade toy with piss poor metallurgy.
View Quote
you just explained the entire harbor freight icon lineup.

I have a wave I keep in my work van. the blades and files are so shitty I rarely use it. if you actually want to do work check out the mini tool kit thread. TLDR buy knipex and a small screwdriver.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Bilberry on Amazon is supposedly also good to go.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Just the other day, a couple of us were sitting around the shop and comparing our tools!

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree with a carve out for 2-3 layer SAKs. It's incredibly useful having a screwdriver on your knife and the awl is great for opening packages without getting your blade gunked up. I do wish Victorinox would upgrade the steel on the blade.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I use a Gerber Centerdrive at work.  Use the bit driver, pliers file and prybar all the time.  I have a truck full of tools and it’s saved me trips to the truck (often parked way outside the jobsite) hundreds of times. Sure there’s gonna be instances where the dedicated tool is better but for expedience, it wins.  I only wish Gerber would ditch the carbide inserts for wire cutters, they’re brittle garbage.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 1:10:48 AM EDT
[#47]

There is a reason you’re calling it a leatherman and not a multi tool.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 1:20:09 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
I googled "Flissa rapid fire review" thinking it would be a video by nutnfancy.... because that video title sounds EXACTLY like something he would title it.

I was wrong.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#49]
In the past 24 hours I used my SOG as a pot gripper for #10 cans over the fire, to remove both ends of said #10 cans, to put 2 Phillips head screws into the headliner light mount of my hooptie dodge ram, to wedge through the joint of a battery lantern light fixture and its cheapskate decorative housing, to scrape corroded battery terminals in a different lantern, to score a line across a 1x2 board where I could break it cleanly, and several other uses I have forgotten.

Opening taped shipping boxes. Gripping a wing nut on a folding leg for a chuck box. Prying apart some wire sheathing to get to clean wire.

Etc.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 1:47:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

JLP3: does this mean Lujan's not coming?
View Quote

Ps

She’s coming, just not with you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top