Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 36
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 11:27:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Afterwork_Ninja] [#1]
Originally Posted By navvet89:
Some of our guys have them, they seem happy with them. Combatsports.com is a good place to buy from as well, they tend to have good sales fairly often,  I picked up a great pair of nogi shorts for $20 from there myself.

eta:
Gameness GI for 29.99, wish I had the extra cash and Id buy myself one.
http://www.combatsports.com/csi/apparel/gis-kimonos/gameness-slc-420g-gi-9791.html

That's a pretty good deal.  I have a pair of their MMA shorts and have been very impressed with them.   I couldn't squeeze into a A2 size if you paid me.  I need an A4 according to this chart.

Size Chart
HeightWeight (lbs)Size
5'2"-5'5"110-140A-1
5'5"-5'9"140-170A-2
5'9"-6'1"170-200A-3
6'0"-6'4"200-250A-4
6'0"-6'4"225-275A-5
6'2"-6'6"250-300A-6

ETA:  I just called them and all they have is the A2 size.  One of you skinny guys better snap that up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Afterwork_Ninja:

Some of our guys have them, they seem happy with them. Combatsports.com is a good place to buy from as well, they tend to have good sales fairly often,  I picked up a great pair of nogi shorts for $20 from there myself.

eta:

Gameness GI for 29.99, wish I had the extra cash and Id buy myself one.

http://www.combatsports.com/csi/apparel/gis-kimonos/gameness-slc-420g-gi-9791.html

That's a pretty good deal.  I have a pair of their MMA shorts and have been very impressed with them.   I couldn't squeeze into a A2 size if you paid me.  I need an A4 according to this chart.

Size Chart

HeightWeight (lbs)Size

5'2"-5'5"110-140A-1

5'5"-5'9"140-170A-2

5'9"-6'1"170-200A-3

6'0"-6'4"200-250A-4

6'0"-6'4"225-275A-5

6'2"-6'6"250-300A-6

ETA:  I just called them and all they have is the A2 size.  One of you skinny guys better snap that up.

yeah I know

I'm right at the top of an A3 at 5' 10"/205lbs. My gi is fine but the sleeves are getting short, I definitely don't leave a lot of loose material to hold onto, I could probably stand an A4 top and A3 pants.

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 2:07:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm right at the top of an A3 at 5' 10"/205lbs. My gi is fine but the sleeves are getting short, I definitely don't leave a lot of loose material to hold onto, I could probably stand an A4 top and A3 pants.

Stop drying it in the dryer. Let it hang dry.

I have the same trouble with my blue GI.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#4]
But the dryer helps kill the nasties on it
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By DonS:

Stop drying it in the dryer. Let it hang dry.

I have the same trouble with my blue GI.

Ive never dried it in the dryer , hang dry only, Im just at the top of the size range and the gi itself is washed 2-3 times a week for the last 9 months or so.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Well here's a disappointing twist. Our class is pretty much out in the sticks and we combine the advanced and fundamentals classes since we don't have that many students. A full class is about 12 people, typically running about 6, Ive seen it with as few as two plus the instructor.

We just had two whites progress to blue and I just got an email saying that they are going to cut the class time in half with only blue belts and above welcome for the second half "unless" you are active military. I can understand the logic but I'm going to bitch about some, the only non active military white belts currently attending the class are myself (a navy vet with a history in wrestling) another guy who is recently retired Army (the door kicking type) and a female who is the soon to be spouse of an active duty army guy. Due to some people leaving, new people showing up and promotions we went from being white heavy to blue heavy.

It kind of pisses me off as it will only restrict us three from the second half and probably leave them short most of the time, I don't think someone thought this through very well. So my normally 2 hour Monday class becomes 1 hour, which is not enough time in my opinion. I'll go in and see wtf tonight.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it is important to have separate classes for beginner and "advanced" students. If you only have classes with both combined, the mid and higher level students end up spending the whole time teaching the very very basics to new students and their training suffers. I think for most new students an hour of instruction is great, you guys don't have open mat time afterwards or can't use a separate designated area to drill basics?
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By LORD-eX-Bu:

I think it is important to have separate classes for beginner and "advanced" students. If you only have classes with both combined, the mid and higher level students end up spending the whole time teaching the very very basics to new students and their training suffers. I think for most new students an hour of instruction is great, you guys don't have open mat time afterwards or can't use a separate designated area to drill basics?

I agree if it was a normal class setup but we don't have that. We only currently have two real "beginners" that aren't .mil and I haven't seen either of them in the last month. Myself and the other guy easily train with the higher belts and our classes are very small. What pisses me off is that we went from a class typically being 2 blue/4 white to 4blue/2white and then they cut us two out of an hour of class when they could have easily kept it like it was. Remember that active duty white belts get a pass and we have some that are very very junior, like, no stripe white belts with no previous grappling history. So the senior guys will end up baby sitting those guys and the advanced white belts get cut out.

All but 1 of our current students that are white belts are either .mil or veterans with previous grappling experience, the total class is probably 80% vets/active duty.

Link Posted: 4/30/2012 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Why would "active military" have anything to do with it?
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JamisonLaviano:

Really think so?

My washer has a "sanitary" setting where it heats up the hot water. I use that, then hang dry to prevent shrinkage.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Really think so?

My washer has a "sanitary" setting where it heats up the hot water. I use that, then hang dry to prevent shrinkage.

Yea, I've read from multiple sources that hot water wash and drying in high heat settings can kill MRSA/staph. But of course it will shrink the GI
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 2:22:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: navvet89] [#12]

I think the shop owner puts to much faith in the Army Combatives program, I have it from the guys themselves that it isn't all that, that's why they are in our BJJ class to start with.

eta: I guess it is assumed they are further advanced than similar and in some cases more senior belts due to that and therefore get a pass.

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#13]
welp, our instructor put an over ride on that sillyness and I trained both classes, good thing for them as well because they needed the extra body to have 4 pairs rolling. Picked up another stripe last night as well which is encouraging coming fresh off a pair of shoulder injuries.

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 3:28:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JamisonLaviano] [#14]
welp, our instructor put an over ride on that sillyness and I trained both classes, good thing for them as well because they needed the extra body to have 4 pairs rolling. Picked up another stripe last night as well which is encouraging coming fresh off a pair of shoulder injuries.  

Coolness, sounds like it worked out for ya

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#15]

I think the shop owner puts to much faith in the Army Combatives program, I have it from the guys themselves that it isn't all that, that's why they are in our BJJ class to start with.

eta: I guess it is assumed they are further advanced than similar and in some cases more senior belts due to that and therefore get a pass.

I tend to think any advantage you get from other training, be it army combatives, judo, HS wrestling or whatever, would quickly factor into the BJJ rank.

On a side note, I'm bummed. I am on travel to Norfolk VA for two weeks and will miss training. Last week I intended to train three times, but I could only make one class, the other two were preempted by work.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I checked out the local Gracie academy the other day.  It was my first BJJ lesson with a gi.  It was a lot of fun and there sure are a lot more things to look out for than rolling no gi.  

I don't miss wearing a gi though, I have spent too much of my life in one.  If you didn't have to tie the damn thing every four seconds I wouldn't mind it so much.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#17]
yeah, its a completely different deal with a gi on, I actually prefer it to nogi classes. is the class you went to Gracie Combatives or Gracie Barra?

Link Posted: 5/12/2012 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Been training BJJ for just over a year. It has changed my life started a out of shape 38 year old 6foot 2 fat ass at 275 pounds. Just competed at naga at 217 pounds and took home a silver medal. I am leaner and stronger and hope to compete again in september at 200 pounds.  I prefer gi training but also train nogi.  I recomend it to everyone.
Link Posted: 5/17/2012 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Last night I rolled with a guy that weighs 317 pounds.  I did well considering he is a lot better than me.  I even swept him a couple of times.  I learned very fast that I should never let him get me flat on my back.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#20]
LOL my Sensei weighs a little more than that, practice a lot of open guard with him
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#21]
LOL my Sensei weighs a little more than that, practice a lot of open guard with him

It was fun. At 6'1" and 235 lbs, it's not very often I'm the fast little guy in fight.  I kept taking his back like a spider monkey.
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#22]
doh, got the dreaded twisted/jammed toe last night escaping from underneath and moving into side control , going to be out the rest of the week at least.

Link Posted: 5/22/2012 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Do any of you guys do any Yoga?  I've noticed the Yoga workout from my P90X workout has helped quite a bit with my BJJ and Judo.  I was bored and on the road so I checked out a Yoga Class for the first time today.

My post from the P90X thread:

I had to fly to Ft. Worth today.  While getting some Pho for lunch, I noticed the Yoga joint next door.  Seeing how I am a fan of Yoga  X and the outfits that women wear to Yoga, I decided to check it out.

I did two 30 minute classes.  It was all pretty familiar due to my experience with P90X, but there were a few different and harder poses. I was told I did very well, but hell they probably say that to everyone.  They gave one girl a gift for her 100th class.  This chick was like a Yoga black belt.  I don't think she even broke a sweat, and had the best balance of anyone I have ever seen. It was nice getting a few pointers and the scenery was better than it is at my house.  I did have to be a little more civil and not relax every muscle in my body like I do at home alone, if you get my drift.

One thing I really liked was the fact that they kept the little yoga room at 98 degrees.  I bet I lost 5 pounds of water and Vietnamese soup.  I had a good time, you guys should check it out some time.

I also watched The Avengers, I highly recomend that too.

Link Posted: 5/22/2012 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#24]

doh, got the dreaded twisted/jammed toe last night escaping from underneath and moving into side control , going to be out the rest of the week at least.  

really? We don't quit for those

Link Posted: 5/23/2012 1:34:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I am thinking about joining the gracie barra in my town next month. I am a little nervous so I am trying to read as much as possibe and will take the free class.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 2:28:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Gracie Barra is great, you can't go wrong with them. You'll have to wear a rashguard and their gi and they are very traditional.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Do any of you guys do any Yoga?  I've noticed the Yoga workout from my P90X workout has helped quite a bit with my BJJ and Judo.  I was bored and on the road so I checked out a Yoga Class for the first time today.

My post from the P90X thread:

I had to fly to Ft. Worth today.  While getting some Pho for lunch, I noticed the Yoga joint next door.  Seeing how I am a fan of Yoga  X and the outfits that women wear to Yoga, I decided to check it out.

I did two 30 minute classes.  It was all pretty familiar due to my experience with P90X, but there were a few different and harder poses. I was told I did very well, but hell they probably say that to everyone.  They gave one girl a gift for her 100th class.  This chick was like a Yoga black belt.  I don't think she even broke a sweat, and had the best balance of anyone I have ever seen. It was nice getting a few pointers and the scenery was better than it is at my house.  I did have to be a little more civil and not relax every muscle in my body like I do at home alone, if you get my drift.

One thing I really liked was the fact that they kept the little yoga room at 98 degrees.  I bet I lost 5 pounds of water and Vietnamese soup.  I had a good time, you guys should check it out some time.

I also watched The Avengers, I highly recomend that too.

I don't currently but Ive been thinking about it, my flexibility is terrible and I'm sure its the source of most of my injuries.

Link Posted: 5/23/2012 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#28]

really? We don't quit for those  

hey, purple toe is purple, what can I say :)

Link Posted: 5/23/2012 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By Sslous:

I am thinking about joining the gracie barra in my town next month. I am a little nervous so I am trying to read as much as possibe and will take the free class.

GB is a great program, the school I go to is a GB school and I think there are others here that attend different GB schools as well. There's really nothing to be nervous about but you are right to research it ahead of time. You cant really go wrong with anything to do with the Gracie's.

What is your background, any wrestling etc, how old are you, what is your goal?

You should also proceed very slowly and carefully to make sure that you aren't injured or injure someone else. Bad technique and speed will get someone hurt, make sure your training partners understand that you want to go slow and easy so they don't crush you. I pretty much "slow roll" exclusively now and still end up getting minor injuries just because of the nature of it.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2012 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#30]

GB is a great program, the school I go to is a GB school and I think there are others here that attend different GB schools as well. There's really nothing to be nervous about but you are right to research it ahead of time. You cant really go wrong with anything to do with the Gracie's.

You should also proceed very slowly and carefully to make sure that you aren't injured or injure someone else. Bad technique and speed will get someone hurt, make sure your training partners understand that you want to go slow and easy so they don't crush you. I pretty much "slow roll" exclusively now and still end up getting minor injuries just because of the nature of it.  

I am 22 years old, I do not have any experience on the ground besides wrestling with friends and minor grappling from tang soo do. I do not have a goal besides general fitness with self defense in mind.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#31]

I am 22 years old, I do not have any experience on the ground besides wrestling with friends and minor grappling from tang soo do. I do not have a goal besides general fitness with self defense in mind.

Good that you are 22, you should have good endurance, wont injure easily and will heal faster (as compared to me at 42). You will definitely improve general fitness, I move slowly and methodically, it's almost painful for the younger guys to roll with me, but I get my cardio workout in for as long as I can.

try it, but take it easy and let us know how you like it.

Link Posted: 6/7/2012 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Good on you starting young.

I'm a 49 year old blue belt. One of my instructors is a 22 year old black belt.

Be quick to tap  when they get arm bars and other joint locks on you, until you learn a bit. Particularly when rolling with white belts.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Last night we focused on keeping our weight on our opponent in side control and Kesa gatame.  I paired up with my buddy Big George and felt every pound of the 320 he carries around.

I'm sore as shit.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm still don't have a green light to roll, but been taking my time getting into better shape. And working on my balance with balance balls. In class I've been training a guy for an upcoming MMA bout next month. It's kinda depressing but I see me switching roles from being a competitor to a more of a teacher.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#35]

I'm still don't have a green light to roll, but been taking my time getting into better shape. And working on my balance with balance balls. In class I've been training a guy for an upcoming MMA bout next month. It's kinda depressing but I see me switching roles from being a competitor to a more of a teacher.

I hear ya, I'm pretty certain I fractured/cracked the center bone in my index toe, been a month since the injury and its still sore to the touch... no rolling for me either but I can do the drills and class lecture.

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 10:55:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Afterwork_Ninja] [#36]
Does anyone have a link for Gracie Blue belt requirements?  Is there such a thing or do they just promote people by observing their progress?  My instructor I just started with is a Ralph Gracie Brown belt, so I assume he will use whatever they do.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Does anyone have a link for Gracie Blue belt requirements?  Is there such a thing or do they just promote people by observing their progress?  My instructor I just started with is a Ralph Gracie Brown belt, so I assume he will use whatever they do.

Dang. I was training under a Ralph Gracie school when in lived in Kalifornia. I forget all the requirements, but they SHOULD be posted somewhere on the net.

IMHO, you should use Pedro Sauer's requirements since they seem to be the most comprehensive and will certainly overlap Ralph's.

He has a great DVD set called White Belt to Blue Belt, or something to that effect.

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Last night we focused on keeping our weight on our opponent in side control and Kesa gatame.  I paired up with my buddy Big George and felt every pound of the 320 he carries around.

I'm sore as shit.

KG is a freaking sweet position. There are a shit-ton of submissions from there. I learned a very extensive lock-flow from KG that was truly mind-boggling. That chest pressure, if properly set up, is dis-hearteningly difficult to deal with. Obviously there are a number of escapes, but the aren't very intuitive. If you don't know them, and the guy on top of you is a ton of bricks, panic sets in quick and your brain turns to mush...

A guy that understands how to get an opponent into KG straight from the take-down is someone to be reckoned with.

My favorite lock from KG is to snatch the near arm under your calf of the upward-most leg and triangle it with your other leg. With his near arm trapped,  this leaves both of your hands to cross over and trap the far arm in a figure-4 while applying your weight to his upper chest.

Double arms locks FTMFW. It's brutal.

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 12:04:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Afterwork_Ninja] [#39]
Originally Posted By MP0117:

I'm sore as shit.

KG is a freaking sweet position. There are a shit-ton of submissions from there. I learned a very extensive lock-flow from KG that was truly mind-boggling. That chest pressure, if properly set up, is dis-hearteningly difficult to deal with. Obviously there are a number of escapes, but the aren't very intuitive. If you don't know them, and the guy on top of you is a ton of bricks, panic sets in quick and your brain turns to mush...

A guy that understands how to get an opponent into KG straight from the take-down is someone to be reckoned with.

My favorite lock from KG is to snatch the near arm under your calf of the upward-most leg and triangle it with your other leg. With his near arm trapped,  this leaves both of your hands to cross over and trap the far arm in a figure-4 while applying your weight to his upper chest.

Double arms locks FTMFW. It's brutal.

That's the one we learned the other night.  Instead of just locking up that near arm we would try an Americana we sink in with our leg.  Then we worked on the Americana, Kimura, and straight arm bar on that far arm.  If lifts his head to see what you are doing to that arm we stepped over his head and got a triangle and still worked on that far arm.  It is absolutely brutal. It immediately went to the top of my attack list.  I think it's my new favorite shit.

It's funny you mention landing in KG, because I thought the exact same thing.  Starting from the knees is new to me so last night I looked up a couple of Youtube videos on takedowns and I am going to try this one out.  It starts at 1:44:

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#40]
From Kesa Gatame I prefer to push the arm down straight and use my heel closest to their head to put pressure on the palm.. very hard to get out of and all I have to do is lift my hips about half an inch before they tap.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 8:13:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Afterwork_Ninja] [#41]
Last night we went over Knee on Belly, the Kimura, Armbar, and D'arce choke from Knee on Belly.  Worked the Omoplata, and a transition to a RNC if you can't sink the Omoplata.  We worked a double leg take down and tripod sweep.  We also worked the transition to North/South from Side Control and from N/S into an arm triangle.

On top of all that I did pretty well on everything I wanted to work on.  I decided last week that I have had enough of being pinned in side control.  I never got flattened once and either swept or got to at lest Half-Guard every time I ended up in Side.  I really like this escape and had great success with it last night.  See video below.

I also did very well keeping my breathing under control.  Only once did I forget about it and start wearing myself out.  Out of the 15 three minute rounds I rolled, I thought that was pretty good.

I dominated quite a few people from Side Control, Kesa Gatame, and the Crucifix positions.  I'm starting to like just staying in Side instead of Mount.  It is a lot more stable and I am able to hold position better.

I worked take-downs from the knees all week long and didn't use one once. Maybe I'll get a chance next week.

I ordered Roy Dean's Blue Belt video to supplement my Gi and No-Gi classes I do once a week, Jiu-Jitsu University and Guerrilla Jiu-Jitsu books and what I find online.  It should be here this week and I'm going to see what I can learn from it.

http://www.amazon.com/Brazilian-Jitsu-Blue-Belt-Requirements/dp/B001ADKATC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Here is the Side control escape I mentioned I liked:

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm pretty impressed with Roy Dean's Blue Belt Requirements DVD.  It's well worth the $40.  When I get all of the material down I will defiantly buy  his Purple belt dvd.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#43]

I'm pretty impressed with Roy Dean's Blue Belt Requirements DVD.  It's well worth the $40.  When I get all of the material down I will defiantly buy  his Purple belt dvd.

good to know, im still working my way through the "BJJ Over 40" set from Roy Harris.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Glad to hear this, as I just picked this up on ebay (along with "Mastering Ju Jitsu" book by Renzo Gracie) for $20.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:59:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Afterwork_Ninja] [#45]
Originally Posted By strongtactics:

Glad to hear this, as I just picked this up on ebay (along with "Mastering Ju Jitsu" book by Renzo Gracie) for $20.

I would also very highly recommend the books Jiu-jitsu University by Saulo Ribeiro and if you want to improve your take-down game check out Guerrilla Jiu-Jitsu by Dave Camarillo.  The ladder focuses on combining Judo and BJJ.  These books, Roy Dean's dvd, and the videos I find on Youtube combined with drilling every other day on the grappling dummy I built have me tearing up the other white belts and holding my own with some of the higher belts at my gym.

One other great resource is Grapplearts.com and his free email newsletter.  I can't tell you how much I have learned from Stephan Kesting.

I found Renzo's book a while back.  It's pretty good, but I have seen better.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#46]
anything from saulo is great....mainly because he knows how to speak english in his videos...and I also recommend was jason scully on youtube...anything else imo is a waste of time.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#47]

I would also very highly recommend the books Jiu-jitsu University by Saulo Ribeiro and if you want to improve your take-down game check out Guerrilla Jiu-Jitsu by Dave Camarillo.  The ladder focuses on combining Judo and BJJ.  These books, Roy Dean's dvd, and the videos I find on Youtube combined with drilling every other day on the grappling dummy I built have me tearing up the other white belts and holding my own with some of the higher belts at my gym.

One other great resource is Grapplearts.com and his free email newsletter.  I can't tell you how much I have learned from Stephan Kesting.

LOL. One step ahead of you. Ive got Jiu-Jitsu University, Guerilla Jiu Jitsu AND Stephan Kesting's Roadmap to BJJ program.
Unfortunately I rarely get any actual gym/rolling time. I may be making a few changes to make that happen soon.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#48]

LOL. One step ahead of you. Ive got Jiu-Jitsu University, Guerilla Jiu Jitsu AND Stephan Kesting's Roadmap to BJJ program.
Unfortunately I rarely get any actual gym/rolling time. I may be making a few changes to make that happen soon.

How do you like Kesting's full length videos?  I have his free Roadmap ebook and I watch all the videos it his newsletter and they are great.  I was just wondering how the production value and overall presentation were on his full length videos.

I just found a sweet deal on Demian Maia's Science of Jiu-Jitsu 1 and 2.  I think I have enough material to last me a while.  I'm going to wear my grappling dummy out.

I didn't get mine from here, but I came across this sale on those dvds that's good until the 16th.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Demian-Maia-Science-of-Jiu-Jitsu-1-2-Combo-pack-NEW-/200789266375?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item2ebff90fc7
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 12:02:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: navvet89] [#49]

snip

Good info guys, I'm on Keastings mailing list as well and a couple others iirc.

I'm actually going to have to hunker down and really study, at 43 I just received my 4th white belt stripe. I didn't expect it as I thought I had more to go yet but our Professor thought I rated it so...

Coming up on that blue belt now and I it's going to be tough to earn. I don't have the stamina that the younger guys have but I have strength and patience, I try and be very methodical and plan my movements on a direct route to where I want to go... without being transparent. Kind of backwards from people expect from a white belt but age requires different tactics.

I do Keastings list, Submissions 101 on Youtube, BJJ over 40 by Roy Harris and the GB Fundamentals program (even though Ive been through it several times already).

eta: Beyond Grappling is a good list to be on as well.

http://www.beyondgrappling.com

Link Posted: 7/17/2012 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#50]

How do you like Kesting's full length videos?  I have his free Roadmap ebook and I watch all the videos it his newsletter and they are great.  I was just wondering how the production value and overall presentation were on his full length videos.

I just found a sweet deal on Demian Maia's Science of Jiu-Jitsu 1 and 2.  I think I have enough material to last me a while.  I'm going to wear my grappling dummy out.

I didn't get mine from here, but I came across this sale on those dvds that's good until the 16th.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Demian-Maia-Science-of-Jiu-Jitsu-1-2-Combo-pack-NEW-/200789266375?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item2ebff90fc7

Yes, Kesting's videos are very well made and informative.
Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top