Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Holy crap TBS . That is the second Kaboom you have had and you still have ten fingers . Dude buy a fricken lottery ticket and spend the rest of your days playing golf in thunderstorms .

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been gone for 3 weeks, what page did the shitstorm start on? Or should I read all 17 pages?

AB
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
TBS,
  Glad you are ok and Kel-Tec treated you right! What is the serial number on your gun? When I get one I want to make sure it has the updated fix in it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Holy crap TBS . That is the second Kaboom you have had and you still have ten fingers . Dude buy a fricken lottery ticket and spend the rest of your days playing golf in thunderstorms .

Nope, it's at least the third.  I watched him KB an Armalite a few years back.  The look on his face will always stay with me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
here is the new bolt pic.

it's hard to see as the camera doesn't show it well. this is the best pic out of about 10.
it's more of a groove than a cut in the carrier just bhind the bolt above the extractor.

here is what i was told about testing with the new cut....

"We tested that vent quite a bit, and we could not get the receiver to even crack using ammo that we weakened the case on, even when testing it with a bullet pounded into the bore (right in front of the chamber) we could not get it to blow, it just shot out both bullets, and blew out some gases by the vent. the most damage we saw was a blown magazine, broken mag catch, and bent firing pin."

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=44688

Well...time to KABOOM tryout the new one.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#9]
When I talk to Kel-Tec at the SHOT Show, I'm going to mention your name and their great service.

Hard to complain about service like that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#11]
TBS,

Thanks for the pic. I'm sure all of us will be looking for the slot on the bolt before we buy one...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
TBS,

Thanks for the pic. I'm sure all of us will be looking for the slot on the bolt before we buy one...

And if not, I'm sure Keltec will replace it if it is an 'older' unit.... hopefully people will send in the warranty card (I know some never do....) so Keltec can notify.  If not, I suspect another 'granade' to happen w/out the upgrade....

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I specifically avoid shooting Winchester WhiteTrash ammo in my guns...  It's generally crappy brass, and unusually inconsistent powder loads make me seek ammo elsewhere...

That's completely contradictory to my experience with WWB.

I've found the brass to be of good quality, the SD of the rounds to be very good for plinking ammo and I've yet to experience a single failure with it.

Hmmm.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:16:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm not a gunsmith, nor do I play one in the movies, but it looks like cutting that vent groove wouldn't be a difficult mod.

Maybe pre-vent carriers could be sent back to KT, or a competent smith could make the cut.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:23:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:34:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm not a gunsmith, nor do I play one in the movies, but it looks like cutting that vent groove wouldn't be a difficult mod.

Maybe pre-vent carriers could be sent back to KT, or a competent smith could make the cut.

i have had a few people ask me if theirs would be modified. i don't know keltecs policy on non cut guns. Although i am with you it would appear to be a quick easy retrofit. my advise if you have oue would be to call keltec.

I'll bet the just modify the part that's sent in.  Pretty easy to do, just throw it in the Mill, and there probably aren't too many out there, you did kB a really early one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:39:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Damn.  that seems to be the Kel Tec story...

"Uh, it's a great gun, I only had to send it back to the factory twice, but they fixed it right up.  Boy! what great customer service."

Well, practice makes perfect.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
i have been emailing back and forth with one of their guys for the last several days. I have no doubt i am driving him nuts with questions, it's kinda nice getting a direct line for technical answers. Excellent bunch of guys for sure.

As I said earlier in the thread, I've never had to return one of their products to them... but I've e-mailed them with questions many times over the years and never failed to recieve a prompt, respectful reply.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#20]
420 or so replies and 26,000 + reads so far.

Damn TBS, this thread must have struck a chord somewhere.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

that's one of the reasons i really kinda held back and let them respond before coming to any conclusions. I know the power of arfcom first hand.

You wield it well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's one of the reasons i really kinda held back and let them respond before coming to any conclusions. I know the power of arfcom first hand.

In this case, though, I think the power of ARFCOM is going to generate business for Kel Tec in light of how they handled this.

I just picked up a P3AT for myself, and I'll probably strongly consider a PLR soon.

Kel Tec communicated, and they listened.   I wrote on page 13 that my concern was the huge amount of frontal surface area on the bolt carrier, which allowed gas from a burst round to focus and deliver a lot of energy to the carrier allowing the kind of catestrophic failure you saw.   Kel Tec didn't say "fuck you, what do you know..."  they went to the drawing board, added a gas vent so that gas would have somewhere to go, and then tested, tested, tested.  

I admire a company standing behind its products, taking ownership of the design, and moving to make improvements when they could be appropriate.   That's good service, and I have to say its in my mind to support them on that basis, all the way.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In this case, though, I think the power of ARFCOM is going to generate business for Kel Tec in light of how they handled this.

I just picked up a P3AT for myself, and I'll probably strongly consider a PLR soon.

Kel Tec communicated, and they listened.   I wrote on page 13 that my concern was the huge amount of frontal surface area on the bolt carrier, which allowed gas from a burst round to focus and deliver a lot of energy to the carrier allowing the kind of catestrophic failure you saw.   Kel Tec didn't say "fuck you, what do you know..."  they went to the drawing board, added a gas vent so that gas would have somewhere to go, and then tested, tested, tested.  

I admire a company standing behind its products, taking ownership of the design, and moving to make improvements when they could be appropriate.   That's good service, and I have to say its in my mind to support them on that basis, all the way.

My feelings exactly. I never even considered a Kel-tec before, but this PLR 16 has me thinking hard, and checking the couch cushions for extra change!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I have been told that Kel-Tec will accept PLR bolt carriers in order to put this vent cut in the carrier. So if you have a PLR and want this done, you will be able to send it in and have it cut.

I'm not sure when this will start but if you give customer service a call they should know. You will have to disassemble the bolt carrier and send in only the carrier with the piston rod screwed in it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#27]
My distributor just called and said I will be getting mine in on Thursday. I have had one on back order for the store just to be able to let people hold and touch and for me to play with heck
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#29]
TBS-Good to see you decided to get back on the horse.  I hope this pistol holds together for you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Thanks for the update plr.

i finally shot the replacement sunday.

I noticed one thing. with the factory break the fireball coming out of the muzzel was UNREAL! with the a2 suppressor it wasn't that bad at least i didn't notice it as much. i had some teenagers off to the side of me the last time i shot. all i heard was BOOOOOM..... HOLY SHIT DID YOU SEE THAT FIREBALL

As for recoil, i honestly don't think there was a noticible <atleast to me> difference in recoil with it. there was a noticible difference in visible muzzell flash.

"brake" and "muzzle"  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#31]
All I can say is I wont buy one.

Well.... mainly because I think they are banned here in CA

BUT IF THEY WERENT... I WOULD BUY ONE!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Glad you didn't get hurt.  I was standing next to a friend when his FAL (yes, FAL) kaboomed.  (Pistol powder, oops).  Scary experience when a gun explodes and big heavy pieces of metal are flying all over the place.

*looks over at recently purchased case of WWB .45*  Uh.....crap.  damn.  Anyone know if the CZ97B has a slide retention device?  Just in case...

That is a neat looking gun.  I've always liked the idea of having an AR pistol.  This would be a nice one to have, mainly for the price.  But, I think I'll wait a few years for them to get perfected.  I know 3 people with P3ATs, and each person has an assortment of problems with them.  Kel-Tec seems to make a good product, but I dunno if it's QC or just the nature of making affordable guns, but....I'll stick to my Berettas and CZs and Rugers for now.  Not bashing, just saying.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:39:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:22:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I have one Kel-Tec in my safe  pocket;  A P32.

Looks like I will be getting more after this.

And ditto.  Got to get one of their 9 mm carbines.

TXL

Well done Kel-Tec
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
wow.  Been looking for a small-frame auto for my wife.  I think I've made my decision.

While I carry a p-32 daily.  I don't think it is a gun for beginners.  If you do get one, make sure she is absolutely familiar with failure drills.

But that goes with ANY semi-auto.  Which is why I recommend a revolver for a lady, if she is not a shooter.

TXL

ETA, and TBS is right,  the recoil on the P3At is nasty.  Nasty enough to turn her off from shooting.  Not much of a problem to a shooter, but not something you want to put 50 rounds through.  Perfect for putting a hole in a bad guy though.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:31:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
...  Got to get one of their 9 mm carbines...

I predict you would like them.  (We have two - they have been very reliable and lots of fun. )
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:33:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, it's at least the third.  I watched him KB an Armalite a few years back.  The look on his face will always stay with me.

Note to self, do not shoot next to TBS.

TXL
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:41:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...  Got to get one of their 9 mm carbines...

I predict you would like them.  (We have two - they have been very reliable and lots of fun. )

THRThumper had one at the hun farm.  He was gonna get rid of it, until he shot it.

Now, it's with him for life.  Said is was damn accurate, and joy to shoot.

TXL
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:42:00 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Note to self, do not shoot next to TBS.

TXL

just a case failure not a kb

TomAAAto  TomAHto.

same same.  you stay on that side of the range.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Has it had no more problems since you tested it?  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#42]
I finally handled one of these for the first time last night - lighter than I expected.  I don't have a need for one but I'm still very tempted...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
What's the going price on one of these PLR pistols?

The one I looked at last night was marked $479 + tax, and I know he'd come off that a little...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's the going price on one of these PLR pistols?

The one I looked at last night was marked $479 + tax, and I know he'd come off that a little...

My local gun shop said they'd order one for me for $465.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone know how much that handguard grip costs?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#48]
You know - I dont mind when someone/something screws up. As long as they fix it right.

Nice story.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:40:52 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Anyone know how much that handguard grip costs?

I didn't see a price on the website yet.  HERE'S a picture, FWIW.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top