Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jman_JJE:

It’s a project Hornady worked on with us, it’s made by them for us.
View Quote

Jamin, can I ask what other projectiles Hornady is making for you guys in other calibers? I hunt almost exclusively with Hornady ammo but I’d love an excuse to stack more AAC, especially 6.5 and .308
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SlimBlundt:

Jamin, can I ask what other projectiles Hornady is making for you guys in other calibers? I hunt almost exclusively with Hornady ammo but I’d love an excuse to stack more AAC, especially 6.5 and .308
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It will say in the description of the ammunition. We are only purchasing rifle projectiles from Sierra and Hornady. If you see a sku that doesn’t call this out, let me know and I’ll update it.

We do make our pistol FMJ rounds in house. This includes 380, 9mm, 10/40 and 45 ACP.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#3]

It will say in the description of the ammunition. We are only purchasing rifle projectiles from Sierra and Hornady. If you see a sku that doesn’t call this out, let me know and I’ll update it.

We do make our pistol FMJ rounds in house. This includes 380, 9mm, 10/40 and 45 ACP.
View All Quotes

Whelp, that settles it. Switching to AAC. My wallet is visibly weeping.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

Is it somehow different from what Black Hills is now using?

It also seems like the 75gr BTHP should be in the same Black "Precision" packaging like the 77OTM
It's odd it's in the same packaging as the 55fmj
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

The 75gr Sabre Blade doesn't say Hornady.

And what about the 70gr SBX solid copper.
Is that a Barnes projectile, or Hornady?

You have Barnes and Nosler obviously as well as Sierra/Hornady.

I'm really not trying to be a jagoff, but it's confusing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#6]

The project has been a massive success. At this point we believe we are the largest maker of 5.56 in the US outside of the Lake City factory.

Thanks everyone for your support,
Jamin
View Quote

The OTM at 55cpr is just awesome, it is all I buy for 5.56 now unless I need solid copper due land restrictions or some nonsense. Do you have any plans to load the OTM in the NAS3 with higher velocity’s like others are doing?
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:36:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jman_JJE] [#7]
Originally Posted By Saddlerocker:

View All Quotes

I’ll get descriptions updated Monday

All Sabre blade- hornady
TSX- Sierra/Barnes
SBX- Hornady

ETA- we have done nothing to date with Nosler
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#8]

It also seems like the 75gr BTHP should be in the same Black "Precision" packaging like the 77OTM
View All Quotes

We have zero inside knowledge of anything Black Hills does, I don’t know anyone inside of their organization. I can only speak to AAC products.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By NorCalRT:

The OTM at 55cpr is just awesome, it is all I buy for 5.56 now unless I need solid copper due land restrictions or some nonsense. Do you have any plans to load the OTM in the NAS3 with higher velocity’s like others are doing?
View All Quotes

The project has been a massive success. At this point we believe we are the largest maker of 5.56 in the US outside of the Lake City factory.

Jamin

This is a project we are working on.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Jamin

Awesome. Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#11]

I'll get descriptions updated Monday

All Sabre blade- hornady
TSX- Sierra/Barnes
SBX- Hornady

View Quote

Since rifle projectiles are now outsourced, does that mean that the Mk318 Mod 0 clone isn't likely to happen?
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:47:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#12]

View All Quotes

It appears the make of the projectile is on the box if It’s a Sierra or Barnes projectile. Everything else is likely hornady.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for answering questions here.
(My bad on the Nosler. I thought I remembered seeing a 60gr Nosler Partition load, but I was incorrect)
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mcantu:

Since rifle projectiles are now outsourced, does that mean that the Mk318 Mod 0 clone isn't likely to happen?
View All Quotes

I'll get descriptions updated Monday

All Sabre blade- hornady
TSX- Sierra/Barnes
SBX- Hornady

The MK318 project is still in the works
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#15]

The MK318 project is still in the works
View Quote

This is great to hear - thank you!
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Received 400 rounds the other day and got to shoot today,

14.5”
Daniel Defense 1/7 twist
40 round chrono

AAC 77 grain OTM
Batch #SCL2DF101

Highest -  2580
Lowest -   2501
Average - 2543
ES -          79
SD -          16

Grouping we’re pretty good for me, using a Vortex Razor Gen-II E 1-6, which I know isn’t ideal for this.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By steve8140:

14.5”
Daniel Defense 1/7 twist
40 round chrono

AAC 77 grain OTM
Batch #SCL2DF101

Highest -  2580
Lowest -   2501
Average - 2543
ES -          79
SD -          16

Grouping we’re pretty good for me, using a Vortex Razor Gen-II E 1-6, which I know isn’t ideal for this.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/223734/IMG_8632_jpeg-3254578.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/223734/IMG_8631_jpeg-3254579.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/223734/IMG_8630_jpeg-3254580.JPG
View Quote

I'm surprised your mv are under 2600.  With my 14.5" barrels I usually get an average of 2626 fps. These are with all 3 guns.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:

I'm surprised your mv are under 2600.  With my 14.5" barrels I usually get an average of 2626 fps. These are with all 3 guns.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/380981/1000008667_jpg-3254602.JPG
View Quote

@tarheel7734

No idea if it matters but the chrono I have is a competition electronics DLX and per instruction, the chrono is 10-15 feet in front of the muzzle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#19]

@tarheel7734

No idea if it matters but the chrono I have is a competition electronics DLX and per instruction, the chrono is 10-15 feet in front of the muzzle.
View Quote

I'm using the Garmin Xero c1 pro..
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#20]
A friend has one of those and will be testing this ammo this week. I’ll update with his info.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Going back and reading through this thread, it seems velocity is all over the place from 2500 FPS -2700+ FPS from a 14.5” barrel.

There are 4-5 posters claiming the same results I had today.

I’d be curious to measure some rounds and to pull some bullets and measure the powder charge to compare against others with higher velocities. See how consistent they are batch to batch.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Going back and reading through this thread, it seems velocity is all over the place from 2500 FPS -2700+ FPS from a 14.5" barrel.

I'd be curious to measure some rounds and to pull some bullets and measure the powder charge to compare against others with higher velocities. See how consistent they are batch to batch.
View Quote
wonder how much of that might be elevation and temperature differences?  I wasn't paying attention to the claims and where the posters were located.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
wonder how much of that might be elevation and temperature differences?  I wasn't paying attention to the claims and where the posters were located.
View Quote

I was only around 2200ft above selevel when those measurements were taken and temp was probably around 80f
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

14.5”
Daniel Defense 1/7 twist
40 round chrono

AAC 77 grain OTM
Batch #SCL2DF101

Highest -  2580
Lowest -   2501
Average - 2543
ES -          79
SD -          16

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/223734/IMG_8632_jpeg-3254578.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/223734/IMG_8631_jpeg-3254579.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/223734/IMG_8630_jpeg-3254580.JPG

It's not exact but with my 77gr reloads with tac I get what folks get here in 20" guns(high 2700s) and average 2580 with my 14.5. 200fps for almost 6" does seem about right. 33fps/inch.

Obviously it's not the aac load and there's a world of difference in different loads.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Going back and reading through this thread, it seems velocity is all over the place from 2500 FPS -2700+ FPS from a 14.5" barrel.

I'd be curious to measure some rounds and to pull some bullets and measure the powder charge to compare against others with higher velocities. See how consistent they are batch to batch.
View Quote
different brand chronos, at different distances, and at different temps. OEM velocities are usually taken at 70 degrees
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#26]
@Jman_JJE

So is it safe to say the 77gr SMK 5.56 is good to go? I had ordered 100 rounds and it’ll be here Wednesday but man I really don’t want it to blow up my gun or mess up my suppressor. All I shoot is PMC 55gr XTAC so this is new territory for me. I know there were issues with dented cases around this time last year but I’ve also been seeing people on Reddit talk about jacket separation from your guys in house 55gr 5.56 and 9mm with use with a suppressor. Would love to get your input on all this
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Hammerthrower19:
@Jman_JJE

So is it safe to say the 77gr SMK 5.56 is good to go? I had ordered 100 rounds and it’ll be here Wednesday but man I really don’t want it to blow up my gun or mess up my suppressor. All I shoot is PMC 55gr XTAC so this is new territory for me. I know there were issues with dented cases around this time last year but I’ve also been seeing people on Reddit talk about jacket separation from your guys in house 55gr 5.56 and 9mm with use with a suppressor. Would love to get your input on all this
View Quote

Everyone in reddit is just parroting one or two people that said they had issues with the 55 separating. They didn't allign the bore and no proof jacket seperation actually existed.. 99% of people on reddit are full of shit and never actually used psa ammo much less had issues.

That being said psa doesn't make in-house bullets for rifle rounds anylonger. They use hornady ammo.

Someone recently claimed issues on the 77 grain, but I'm very skeptical about their posts. Claiming 50 rounds failed to extract and one blown primer. Supposedly with 3 uppers.. The pics show a rifle that is dirty as can be and bone dry.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I also saw that post and it def turned me off a bit. I have also heard some stuff about the SMK’s popping primers as well and them being loaded super hot. Not sure if @Jman_JJE can also give some insight to that as well. I would love to be able to stockpile this stuff but just hearing about all this stuff is making me not wanna ruin my guns. If I knew what velocity PPU 75gr BTHP .223 was coming out of my 18in DD S2W barrel for my SPR I would def stockpile that stuff. I can find it locally and the price is good and my gun likes it a lot, under an MOA at 100 yards. But for longer distances I’m just not sure it has enough ass behind it to get there, hence why I was looking at 5.56 loadings. I would love to be able to take that gun to 1000 yards just for fun but I know realistically it’s like a 700 yard gun but I’m not sure if the PPU .223 will even be able to make it at that distance either
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 12:54:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Everyone in reddit is just parroting one or two people that said they had issues with the 55 separating. They didn't allign the bore and no proof jacket seperation actually existed.. 99% of people on reddit are full of shit and never actually used psa ammo much less had issues.

That being said psa doesn't make in-house bullets for rifle rounds anylonger. They use hornady ammo.

Someone recently claimed issues on the 77 grain, but I'm very skeptical about their posts. Claiming 50 rounds failed to extract and one blown primer. Supposedly with 3 uppers.. The pics show a rifle that is dirty as can be and bone dry.
View Quote

I also saw that post and it def turned me off a bit. I have also heard some stuff about the SMK’s popping primers as well and them being loaded super hot. Not sure if @Jman_JJE can also give some insight to that as well. I would love to be able to stockpile this stuff but just hearing about all this stuff is making me not wanna ruin my guns. If I knew what velocity PPU 75gr BTHP .223 was coming out of my 18in DD S2W barrel for my SPR I would def stockpile that stuff. I can find it locally and the price is good and my gun likes it a lot, under an MOA at 100 yards. But for longer distances I’m just not sure it has enough ass behind it to get there, hence why I was looking at 5.56 loadings. I would love to be able to take that gun to 1000 yards just for fun but I know realistically it’s like a 700 yard gun but I’m not sure if the PPU .223 will even be able to make it at that distance either

Sorry I’m posting this twice, I have no idea how y’all do the reply thing on here and just found out how lol
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Sorry I’m posting this twice, I have no idea how y’all do the reply thing on here and just found out how lol
View Quote

If you can't look through the threads on here, m4carbine and the crap load of other sites where people constantly using psa ammo, especially the 77, .and very few problems, then maybe it's best you follow the sheep.. There is enough data out there from people actually using the ammo. Heck all you really had to do is look at this thread and the others.

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:39:50 AM EDT
[#31]

If you can't look through the threads on here, m4carbine and the crap load of other sites where people constantly using psa ammo, especially the 77, .and very few problems, then maybe it's best you follow the sheep.. There is enough data out there from people actually using the ammo. Heck all you really had to do is look at this thread and the others.

View Quote

Do you use AAC?
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:43:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Do you use AAC?
View Quote

Among others yes, but majority of what I use is the aac 77 grain, 70 tsx, aac 9mm, aac 10mm
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:50:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Among others yes, but majority of what I use is the aac 77 grain, 70 tsx, aac 9mm, aac 10mm
View Quote

What are your thoughts on using the 77gr? And that’s the non SMK bullet correct?
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:54:09 AM EDT
[#34]

What are your thoughts on using the 77gr? And that’s the non SMK bullet correct?
View Quote

I get better performance out of than I do imi razorcore 77. It's been very consistent and had 0 malfunction or issues in several thousand rounds. I currently use it in 3 different 14.5" rifles. Every time I go to the range I use 300-500 rounds of it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 6:32:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jman_JJE] [#35]
@Jman_JJE

View Quote

All of our rifle projectiles are made by Sierra or Hornady. In this case your SMK projectile is made by Sierra. Both companies are the premier bullet makers for the industry. They OEM for almost every ammo manufacturer. You are not going to have a problem with it. This is also the same ammo Garand Thumb used to shoot 5,000 rounds on full auto suppressed for his burn down video.

The gentleman on Reddit with the upper that had a catastrophic failure made a warranty claim and stated he was using “mixed” ammo when it blew up. He sent in the rounds that where left in his magazine and they were indeed mixed. It was a PSA upper and he wanted it warrantied.  He cut the upper with a hacksaw and there was no way to see the head stamp on the case because it was gone. There was no way to determine what happened or whose ammo was used. Two months later he went on Reddit and made a post that AAC ammo blew up his gun. No one knows what ammo was fired.

AAC has become the most purchased/used 5.56 ammo besides Lake City. We have hundreds of thousands of happy customers. We have your back and you can always contact me directly if you feel the need.

ETA- AACs factory is the most advanced ammo factory in the country. Our equipment is all new and high tech. Most items are checked digitally by computers. If you go to most of our competition the equipment is very aged and low tech. We have come on to the market very strong and we are drawing fire due to it. When we burst onto the ar15 scene the naysayers said we can’t make a quality product at that price, “you have to pay more”. I know our repair and return numbers. We are lower than most of the industry and this has led to us dominating the ar15 industry. Of course if you go on Reddit they will tell you our ar15s don’t work also. It’s the nature of Reddit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 6:58:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#37]

ETA- AACs factory is the most advanced ammo factory in the country. Our equipment is all new and high tech. Most items are checked digitally by computers. If you go to most of our competition the equipment is very aged and low tech. We have come on to the market very strong and we are drawing fire due to it. When we burst onto the ar15 scene the naysayers said we can't make a quality product at that price, "you have to pay more". I know our repair and return numbers. We are lower than most of the industry and this has led to us dominating the ar15 industry. Of course if you go on Reddit they will tell you our ar15s don't work also. It's the nature of Reddit.
View Quote
@Jman_JJE

along this same train of thought, do you know why European ammo makers are able to make rounds that so much more accurate/precise than US companies? RUAG, NAMMO, MEN, GECO, etc all make even basic bitch FMJ ball rounds (even SS109 type) with MOA or near MOA precision. Is it projectile design, super tight production specs, QC or something else? And why haven't high volume domestic ammo companies ever been able to match this? Will your equipment and QC allow AAC to achieve similar results?
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

Thank you for the other side of that story.

FWIW... I have fired a crap load of AAC 77gr OTM, through numerous chambers and brand barrels, and have had great results.
It has become my goto for cost effective 77gr practice.
I have never had a split case out of all those rounds
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

All of our rifle projectiles are made by Sierra or Hornady. In this case your SMK projectile is made by Sierra. Both companies are the premier bullet makers for the industry. They OEM for almost every ammo manufacturer. You are not going to have a problem with it.

The gentleman on Reddit with the upper that had a catastrophic failure made a warranty claim and stated he was using “mixed” ammo when it blew up. He sent in the rounds that where left in his magazine and they were indeed mixed. It was a PSA upper and he wanted it warrantied.  He cut the upper with a hacksaw and there was no way to see the head stamp on the case because it was gone. There was no way to determine what happened or whose ammo was used. Two months later he went on Reddit and made a post that AAC ammo blew up his gun. No one knows what ammo was fired.

AAC has become the most purchased/used 5.56 ammo besides Lake City. We have hundreds of thousands of happy customers. We have your back and you can always contact me directly if you feel the need.

Thank you for the other side of that story.

FWIW... I have fired a crap load of AAC 77gr OTM, through numerous chambers and brand barrels, and have had great results.
It has become my goto for cost effective 77gr practice.
I have never had a split case out of all those rounds

Same.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Just ordered another 200 rounds.  Probably should have ordered more...
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#40]
@Jman_JJE

along this same train of thought, do you know why European ammo makers are able to make rounds that so much more accurate/precise than US companies? RUAG, NAMMO, MEN, GECO, etc all make even basic bitch FMJ ball rounds (even SS109 type) with MOA or near MOA precision. Is it projectile design, super tight production specs, QC or something else? And why haven't high volume domestic ammo companies ever been able to match this? Will your equipment and QC allow AAC to achieve similar results?
View All Quotes

ETA- AACs factory is the most advanced ammo factory in the country. Our equipment is all new and high tech. Most items are checked digitally by computers. If you go to most of our competition the equipment is very aged and low tech. We have come on to the market very strong and we are drawing fire due to it. When we burst onto the ar15 scene the naysayers said we can't make a quality product at that price, "you have to pay more". I know our repair and return numbers. We are lower than most of the industry and this has led to us dominating the ar15 industry. Of course if you go on Reddit they will tell you our ar15s don't work also. It's the nature of Reddit.
@Jman_JJE

I’m not aware of any ss109/m855 that’s anywhere near moa. Do you mean 2 moa?

I’m just spitballing here, but I’d argue that most domestically produced m855 that has been offered on the civilian market in the US is factory seconds (I’m mainly speaking about win, Fed LkC)
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

I'm not aware of any ss109/m855 that's anywhere near moa. Do you mean 2 moa?

I'm just spitballing here, but I'd argue that most domestically produced m855 that has been offered on the civilian market in the US is factory seconds (I'm mainly speaking about win, Fed LkC)
View Quote

Nope, 1 MOA

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:27:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#42]

I'm not aware of any ss109/m855 that's anywhere near moa. Do you mean 2 moa?

I'm just spitballing here, but I'd argue that most domestically produced m855 that has been offered on the civilian market in the US is factory seconds (I'm mainly speaking about win, Fed LkC)

Nope, 1 MOA

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-stx5s5fhga/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/17690/37147/ISS8362-001__81914.1683670951.jpg?c=1

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53586761703_d6a6243808_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51021791906_02c1c75328_o.jpg

I’d say 1moa is not the norm for m855/ss109 even for Ruag.  It may be a solid 1.5moa round in most rifles. I’d say the projectiles are different than those of US manufacture.  They are also likely not seconds and they may have better equipment vs the aging equipment of lkc and most domestic manufacturers. What was the cost of the Ruag vs fed or win at the time?

Either way, I do agree with foreign ammo generally being of better quality and having better accuracy as a rule when it comes to mil/nato loads. I’ve noticed this with 9mm as well.  

PSA/aac had some growing pains early on, but I’d say they make the best domestically produced ammunition at this time. I’ve been very pleased with the 77gr otms.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 11:36:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bravo_Six] [#43]
View Quote

PPU 75s get to 2620 fps out of my 18 inch barrel and require 14.7 mils of elevation to reach 1000 yards from a 200 yard zero. (ETA: that velocity is with a TBAC 30BA mounted; it might have added a few fps)

With that said, AAC 75s and 77s are much more accurate and are a bit hotter.  I would not buy PPU ammo as long as AAC is available.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#44]
@Jman_JJE

Thank you for that response! I did see a post on Reddit where the owner of Otter Creek Labs said that if it’s the SMK bullet then it’ll be fine with a suppressor so that also sold me on it. Plus I have a Surefire RC2 so the mounting system is one of the most consistent on the market so I have no doubt it’ll be fine. I hope you can understand my concerns though since it’s not a cheap suppressor lol. The Reddit post the other guy and I were talking about didn’t blow up his gun however, not sure if you saw it. He just had a butt load of FTF and a blown primer. I’ll link it just in case you haven’t seen it. I wonder if that guy sent in a warranty claim. He was using the 77gr OTM

https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/s/dd6JhxA0nT
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 12:42:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jman_JJE] [#45]
@Jman_JJE

Thank you for that response! I did see a post on Reddit where the owner of Otter Creek Labs said that if it’s the SMK bullet then it’ll be fine with a suppressor so that also sold me on it. Plus I have a Surefire RC2 so the mounting system is one of the most consistent on the market so I have no doubt it’ll be fine. I hope you can understand my concerns though since it’s not a cheap suppressor lol. The Reddit post the other guy and I were talking about didn’t blow up his gun however, not sure if you saw it. He just had a butt load of FTF and a blown primer. I’ll link it just in case you haven’t seen it. I wonder if that guy sent in a warranty claim. He was using the 77gr OTM

View Quote

I have no information other than looking at the post quickly. My cursory take is that 77gr OTM out of a short barrel results in higher pressures and violent cycling. I believe this is why he is saying that the gun works with 55gr PMC/Winchester. The recoil pulse is different with 55gr. This can vary by weapon and depend on gas port size. To combat this Giesselle recommends that you use and H2 or H3 buffer in a 10.5 inch barrel. I’m guessing the combination of heavy buffer with the 10.5 barrel and 77gr projectile would make it cycle correctly. There is people commenting about this in the post, but since it is Reddit it is being ignored.

Without getting his upper in and changing out his buffer I can’t prove it out but we would be willing to do so.

We are working on a video showing proper buffer setups with short barrels and heavy projectiles.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:00:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#46]

I have no information other than looking at the post quickly. My cursory take is that 77gr OTM out of a short barrel results in higher pressures and violent cycling. I believe this is why he is saying that the gun works with 55gr PMC/Winchester. The recoil pulse is different with 55gr. This can vary by weapon and depend on gas port size. To combat this Giesselle recommends that you use and H2 or H3 buffer in a 10.5 inch barrel. I’m guessing the combination of heavy buffer with the 10.5 barrel and 77gr projectile would make it cycle correctly. There is people commenting about this in the post, but since it is Reddit it is being ignored.

Without getting his upper in and changing out his buffer I can’t prove it out but we would be willing to do so.

We are working on a video showing proper buffer setups with short barrels and heavy projectiles.
View All Quotes
@Jman_JJE

FWIW I use a h2 in every ar pattern rifle I own except a mk12 clone.  All of them except the 12 clone are 14.5 or 10.3 with properly gassed colt socom, colt fbi, & centurion barrels. I also run a rc2 on all of them except the 12.  I’ve never had an issue with not cycling or cycling to hard. I only run 5.56 pressure ammo.  If one has huge gas ports I’d maybe go to a h3 depending.  Changing buffers is stupid easy… it sounds like alot of redditors don’t have much experience with firearms.

ETA: I do have a PSA freedom 16”’midlength upper/poverty pony lower that I’m fairly certain i have a h2 in as well. I’ll check when I get home on that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. Can’t wait to see how this ammo does in my SPR then. One of my buddies has a Barret MRAD in .308 and I sent him the .308 175gr SMKs to try. Do you have an ETA as to when those will be back in stock? And does all your guys ammo go back into stock at the same time or does it depend on the caliber/loading?
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#48]

FWIW I use a h2 in every ar pattern rifle I own except a mk12 clone.  All of them except the 12 clone are 14.5 or 10.3 with properly gassed colt socom, colt fbi, & centurion barrels. I also run a rc2 on all of them except the 12.  I’ve never had an issue with not cycling or cycling to hard. I only run 5.56 pressure ammo.  If one has huge gas ports I’d maybe go to a h3 depending.  Changing buffers is stupid easy… it sounds like alot of redditors don’t have much experience with firearms.
View Quote

I also have the same setups in a way as you. I have a “Mock 12” build with a 18in DD S2W barrel and a rifle length buffer tube. Then on my Block II clone I run an H2.

Do you run AAC ammo as well? If so what do you shoot?
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 2:00:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#49]

I also have the same setups in a way as you. I have a “Mock 12” build with a 18in DD S2W barrel and a rifle length buffer tube. Then on my Block II clone I run an H2.

View All Quotes

Currently I pretty much only shoot the aac 77gr otms. Prior to those coming out I shot out of my deep imi and cbc stash of 77gr(that I no longer have to touch thanks to PSA)    Every now and then I’ll pick up some 55gr just to blow through with a belt loop.

Eta: years and years ago before imi and cbc was a thing, I exclusively shot ppu 75’s. They were ok, just slow and not very accurate in the rifles I had at the time.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 2:52:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#50]

View Quote

As a data point I have a 10.3" geissele super duty sporting a super 42 with H3 and with y'all's 77gr OTM I have not had any issues with any feeding.

ETA: unsupressed.
Page / 14
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top