BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 12:26:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SickMAK90] [#1]
I need some help as well. Is this real? Some things make me think it is while others look fishy. Why no flip up caps? Made in Sweden markings? No moa marking.

The mount appears to be real.

This is from a member here that is wanting to do a trade for my acog ta44-5.

I swear I remember seeing that serial number on a bunch of fakes. However, I could not dig up the thread I remember seeing.

Any help is appreciated.

edit:: I contacted Aimpoint. It is real but it is a m68 model. It is/was owned by the US government. Any legal issues with this model?
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope you don't have a dog ....

Link Posted: 4/7/2009 11:29:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: paul325Ci] [#3]
Can anyone help here, this is someone selling for a "friend", no information besides this photo, box looks good, but I do not see the Aimpoint logo, could these be a fake in a real box?

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330319485495#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330319485495#ebayphotohosting
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By paul325Ci:
Can anyone help here, this is someone selling for a "friend", no information besides this photo, box looks good, but I do not see the Aimpoint logo, could these be a fake in a real box?

Thanks!

Impossible to tell from just that one bad pic. Ask them for closer shots of the serial number, windage/elevation adjustments and battery compartment.

I will say that mount looks like a fake. Way too black and too square across the top. Ask for pics of that too or pass on it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 1:52:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: paul325Ci] [#5]
MrMojo,

Thanks for your reply, I magnified the photo, the mount is definitely a fake, I am going to assume the Aimpoint is also, since I cannot see the Aimpoint logo on the optic.  I will send this information to the seller and ask for more photos, will be interesting to see what he says...  
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 2:27:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ratfink57] [#6]
Check this out.
Fake T-1

Thanks to everyone posting here.

I was going to call this guy. Man I would have been pissed.

Edit; The big "NOT A FAKE" was my first warning, then the brown boxes... so I remembered this thread and started reading it again.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have some concern about my CompM3 4moa. There isn't  single detail I can see that doesn't look authentic, but when I look closely at the dot, it's not a single clear, round dot, but what seems to be a cluster of smaller dots. Everything else about this sight seems to be authentic, down to the last detail. The seller has 100% +feedback as well. Can anyone either confirm or comment on what I'm seeing in the dot?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By steelcomp:
I have some concern about my CompM3 4moa. There isn't  single detail I can see that doesn't look authentic, but when I look closely at the dot, it's not a single clear, round dot, but what seems to be a cluster of smaller dots. Everything else about this sight seems to be authentic, down to the last detail. The seller has 100% +feedback as well. Can anyone either confirm or comment on what I'm seeing in the dot?
Thanks

Search "astigmatism" for the answer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 1:39:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MrMojoRising:
Thanks

Nothing about Aimpoint under astigmatism...
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 3:10:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a cheap comp4  just for abusing it. And I will post some pics next time out. When You remount zero sucks. If You take out the battery for a day or more zero moves. This even has the keyed mounts and looks good enough to almost fool You. Not bad for 50.00 but I would'nt trust it for shit.Better off with irons.I'll do some round counts and let you know ,Dan
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MrMojoRising:
Thanks

Nothing about Aimpoint under astigmatism...

He's saying you have an astigmatism, that is why you don't see a clear dot.  I have the same problem. The scope you have is real.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#12]
http://ee.ar15.com/Default.aspx?iid=8414

Does look like a real Comp4?
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Thanks for the great info once again guys!  I'm going to use this link to put in my Aimpoint auctions.   A lot of great info here!!

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 3:27:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beebrad] [#14]
here is a copy of a good looking fake on ebay..
fake aimpoint
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By beebrad:
here is a copy of a good looking fake on ebay..
fake aimpoint

I picked up one of those from him.  Not too bad, although the mount for the magnifier isn't the best..
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 2:43:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medalhedd] [#16]
I was lucky, I was able to return mine for a full refund.
Link Posted: 6/29/2009 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Does this look real?

Link Posted: 7/8/2009 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I took my fake job apart yesterday just to see how this *claimed* "Superior clone better than the Hong Kong crap" really compared.

Everything that is posted in this forum was the case for the piece of garbage (I only paid $49 for it, with the idea of giving it to my son for his airsoft AR).

Beware of the U.S. sellers.. I won't mention them expressedly by name... selling these same knock offs for $79 - $100 on gunbroker.   THEY ARE THE SAME SHIT.  They just order them from m@rsh@llw00, etc, and repackage them in a nicer box, allen key, more batteries, etc.
Link Posted: 7/9/2009 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Just a note, I called Aimpoint yesterday to inquire about an Aimpoint, apparently (to the best of their knowledge) there are no existing fake ML2 models.  Probably true of ML3's as well, he said all the fakes were M2 and M3's.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Can someone tell me if this one is real or not? At this price, I could afford a new larue mount to go with it

real or fake?
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#21]
SHEIT!! I was at a gunshow last week and it was one of those rare times when it was not so crowded and I could look around without getting run over. There was this guy there that had a Aimpoint 3X magnifier and I just happened to be in the market for to go with my new Eotech. He said it was a trade in and he didn't have the box but it looked good and the field of view looked nice and clear. He said it was a steal at 150.00 bucks and after I got the approval from the wife I bought it. Hell it had Aimpoint wrote on it how could I go wrong?  That was until I was looking around on the site and found where some wise ass started this thread about fake Aimpoint's. Thanks a lot!! No really, I'm glad I read this because I was thinking about selling this one and getting a 4X and thought it was real and would have tried to sell it as such.

Actually it's not a bad magnifier for the money but I hate to buy something thinking it is the real deal and find out it'sa fake. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Thanks for making this thread, It sucks to find out I got screwed a little but I guess it could have been worst, I could have paid 500 bucks for this fake just as easy as what I paid for this one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Can anyone tell me if this aimpoint 3x magnifier is real or fake?

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#23]
If bought as a combo (sight and mount $620) from LaRue then yes.
The mount is a LaRue and would not come with the sight otherwise unless ordered separately.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:13:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey men just to let you know after reading all this thread and wanting a comp4 myself for my new toy (LWRC) I called aimpoint and asked about fakes. I dont remember the guys name but he was very helpful and said one of the main thinks to look for is there should be a letter at the start of the serial #. After hearing this I looked and all the pics I can find of the clones,fakes or replica aimpoints and none of them have the letter at the start of the number. I hope this helps keeping anyone from getting ripped off.
                                  Be good The Gatorman
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By WasatchAR:
Nice one! LOLOLOLO I fu#@ing love it. Ok the rest of you, What do you have to say about the knockoffs being as good as the real thing? Thanks alot MoJo. I was working on this one myself, but just havent had the time. Your the Man.

Normally I like to play 'devil's advocate' when it comes to replicas of anything, because some are decent. This thing, though, is junk. Now, that still doesn't make the real one worth the money, it just means that the fake ones are not really serviceable - at least not yet. They have the ability to clone the original, but it might cost $200 instead of $59. When they do this, they will sell.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
Another thing is the real Aimpoint switch can't be turned backwards (counter-clockwise) to the brightest position from the off position, while the rip-off can. Also the real Aimpoint has twice the settings while the fake one only has 5.

Okay, devil's advocate again, but why would you ever need more than five brightness settings? As long as it has a really dim one for a dark night, a bright one for broad daylight and one or two in-between, don't you think that's good? You know, like KISS?

Link Posted: 8/18/2009 1:22:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought this just for abuse,and after about 1000 rounds I can say it's not bad. still prefer My original, but it's ok for plinking. By the way the brightness dial is the same as original. Only turns one way and same number of settings     http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg266/rubicon1000/ar15-2.jpg
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 1:26:40 AM EDT
[#29]
sorry about lousy pics I'll post some of the two side by side when I can, very minimal difference. caps are not marked and adjustment screws are different. They are really getting better at faking these. Thans for everyones great heads up on these, this topic has saved a lot us of some serious cash. Thanks Dan
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:36:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: polarbare] [#30]
Originally Posted By gatorbass:
Hey men just to let you know after reading all this thread and wanting a comp4 myself for my new toy (LWRC) I called aimpoint and asked about fakes. I dont remember the guys name but he was very helpful and said one of the main thinks to look for is there should be a letter at the start of the serial #. After hearing this I looked and all the pics I can find of the clones,fakes or replica aimpoints and none of them have the letter at the start of the number. I hope this helps keeping anyone from getting ripped off.
                                  Be good The Gatorman

That's not exactly true - just talked with the Aimpoint guys as well (Tim?) and he said that a letter in front pretty much means its real, but that aimpoint does make sights without a letter in front of the serial number. He pointed out the "lens test" for the CompM4 (or other NV compatible sights) - the front lens should be red head on, but turn pale yellow then pale green as its angled away from you.

blackrifle dan mentioned that the fake that he got has the same number of settings and won't turn all the way around. The guy at aimpoint said that the newer fakes he has seen have a "stop" in place, but with a fair amount of force, they will go all the way around, which it won't with a real CompM4. Can you test that out for us blackrifle dan and see if that is the case?

Link Posted: 9/29/2009 3:21:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fred30] [#31]
Hello, I recently purchased an Aimpoint CompM4 and 3x magnifier off Ebay. Upon receiving the items I became suspicious, the brown box for both. After searching various topics on the internet and I am concerned these items are fake/counterfeit. I have taken some photos to share with everyone and hope someone who has a genuine Aimpoint CompM4 could possibly show photos of the same areas to compare. Does any one know if at any time brown boxes were used to pack and ship the early CompM4's, thought I read somewhere at one time they did. Thanks and I hope this helps others.

UPDATE: Called Aimpoint today and talked to tech rep. He was very helpful. I advised him of the situation and he walked me through several items to look for I advised him of the serial #'s and he advised they seemed legit. Things mentioned told me to take off the mount, not seen in my pics is a proprietary design made specifically by R&D of Aimpoint to handle recoil, these are machined in. The top of the turrets are laser etched, could take my finger nail and scratch it, fakes are often silk screened. Aimpoint does put a sticky in manual that matches serial on scope. Coating on lens also mentioned.

Of the magnifier he advised that he has not encountered fakes with serial # "yet".  When I provided the serial # he indicated that it sounded recent, within a year or so.  Also mentioned, the font he has encountered is different on the fakes from the real (as in other posts). My 3x has a rubber cover on the front that can be slipped off. He indicated that the fakes he had encountered so far did not have a rubber coating on the front at all.  He advised overall things sounded legit however he was concerned over the brown boxes. He did advise that the CompM4 were shipped in white box.

I contacted the seller from Ebay. He has 100% feedback and is not business. He advised this was the way he had received the items when he purchased them, maybey trade in's? I was not concerned that he had tried to scam me but that perhaps he had unwittingly purchased counterfeit items and was selling them with no purpose to defraud anyone. So that is where I am at. So far sounds good. If anyone has info or pics could be very helpful to all. Thanks

here is the box and CompM4

here are some pics of the turrent

here is the battery compartment

more pics of battery compartment

here is the rear

here is the front

serial number area

bottom of CompM4

side of mount

bottom of manual smeared

but here is sticky in manual with same serial as on scope

here is the 3x

font on 3x

rear cap on 3x

rear threads 3x

front threads 3x note rubber cover

serial area 3x

Link Posted: 9/29/2009 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#32]
The Comp M4 looks real to me - no idea on the 3x.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Some differences between what Fred posted and my 'confirmed' Aimpoint clone :)

Red Dot
Elevation knobs are different
Mount is different
You should post a better pic of the logo, the M, P and O in the factory Aimpoint logo is distinctive

3X
My clone doesn't have a SN
Logo looks different (see comments about the red dot)

Either you have the real deal, or your clone is made in a different factory than mine...

Link Posted: 10/9/2009 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok, I have read all of these pages and must admit, I am really confused.

Can anyone tell me where you can buy legitimate Aimpoint's?

Even if I have to pay full retail?

Surely there must be safe places to buy them?????
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I came across an Aimpoint CompM2 that has no serial number. How is this explained?
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#37]
If you look further back in the thread, you will see that the military issue ones have no serial number, they just say made in sweden
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By SigSauerMan:
Ok, I have read all of these pages and must admit, I am really confused.

Can anyone tell me where you can buy legitimate Aimpoint's?

Even if I have to pay full retail?

Surely there must be safe places to buy them?????

I bought  mine at manventureoutpost for a GREAT PRICE!  It's the real deal.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 8:48:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tvo408] [#39]
On the legitimate CompM4 does the power knob have slack in it?  For example mine can rotate about 1/8 of a rotation before clicking into the next setting, is this normal?

Answered thanks to Tomac!

Yes. One of the improvements on the M4/M4S is the knob being physically disconnected from the switch so impacts to the knob are much less likely to damage the switch.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 10:39:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StaticFilter] [#40]
Okay, looking to trade for a CompM4, looks sketchy cuz of the paint...

User painted it black so markings are of no use
What else should I ask to see?

Obvious fake or needs more info/pics?

ETA: More Pics
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Brand new here and not very experienced yet but I just received my clone from ebay this morning. I don't know which model this is a copy of
but there's no markings anywhere. I was searching for a user/maintenance/instruction manual and found nothing. Doesn't matter, I'm not going to spend any serious $ until I know what I want. If this pos lasts a couple range visits, that'll be good enough. It sure is nice knowing I can get solid information here. Very good couple threads Mojo and Strick909 lots of good answers. Thanks.

My first questions to myself were sight or scope? This is a cheap experiment, and I'll post any result.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Seeing the red underneath the mount makes me think it was used for some sort of training sight at one point. Military /Law enforcement sometimes mark training gear to easily identify whats theirs. Just my opinion, but my guess is that its real from your pics, just a bit ugly.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By lockster30:

Seeing the red underneath the mount makes me think it was used for some sort of training sight at one point. Military /Law enforcement sometimes mark training gear to easily identify whats theirs. Just my opinion, but my guess is that its real from your pics, just a bit ugly.

He had the entire rifle, scope and all painted red, he sent me a pic of it. He has since repainted everything black but I'm guessing those red marks are from rubbing the rail...

Thanks for the feedback, anyone else have an opinion?

Link Posted: 11/9/2009 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#44]
If it's less than $150 take it...otherwise it's a joke.
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By yarbsea:
If it's less than $150 take it...otherwise it's a joke.

Is that to me? If so, Why?

Link Posted: 12/12/2009 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone have a pic of an original Comp m? More importantly how was it marked.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Can anyone help me out on this?  Tell me if they think its real or not...

Micro T1 from Egay
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#48]
so if have access to a NVD could you check the comp m4???
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 762minigun2:
Anyone have a pic of an original Comp m? More importantly how was it marked.

Text was roll marked/stamped/engraved into the battery compartment.  I'll try to post some pictures this weekend.

Wes
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By smithc6:
Can anyone help me out on this?  Tell me if they think its real or not...

Micro T1 from Egay

Looks legit.  The fakes come in a plain cardbord box.  The real units have an indexing hump milled into the bottom to lock the unit in place.  You have to remove the mount to see it.

Wes
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top