BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 128
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JerDerv:While you are looking at mounts for micro red dots, check out master of arms 3D printed titanium mount.
https://www.masterofarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=74
View Quote
thanks for posting this JD. Both models have been added to the PWD...
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Great thread.

I wanted to build a light weight rifle for the wife. I would up just building a 10.5" with a Shockwave brace
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]
shockwave isn't very light.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:00:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#4]
For lightweight pistols i like the tailhook mod 2. Hey, anybody gonna try out the 3d printed mount? Also another question, in the pwd it says that the aluminum shield rms with the mount is lighter than the polymer sms with the mount? Some kind of mistake? I'm curious to see the weight of the vortex venom/master of arms mount combo. EDIT nevermind, i was reading it wrong. It's kinda confusing...
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JerDerv:
I wonder what the failure mode is when force is applied to the rear of the sight. Looks pretty poorly designed but I could be wrong. Wonder if the manufacture has done any testing.

While you are looking at mounts for micro red dots, check out master of arms 3D printed titanium mount.
https://www.masterofarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=74
View Quote
My Venom Screws align up with my poly Shield sms, but the front locating lugs are slightly off. I think with a little modification you could put the Shield on the MOA mount. That would give you approx 1.1 oz red dot with mount. Titanium screws might put it at 1 oz even.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Luv863:
I came up with Desert Tech after some googling.
https://deserttech.com/optics.php?item=2235
View Quote
Thanks, my Google-foo must be weak.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 5:02:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNRoll_Mullet] [#7]
ELF Ultralight Aluminum Stock - Black

The ELF Ultralight Aluminum Stock is the lightest all metal adjustable stock produced today, weighing in at a trim 5.2oz.

Innovative features include:

Ease of adjustment over the entire length of the buffer tube
Silent operation - no clicking into detent holes
A simple turn of the knob allows full adjustment
When tightened, it is rock solid with absolutely no rattle
Only 5.2oz

Granite Ridge Outfitters.com
ELF Ultralight Aluminum Stock - Black - SPECIAL PRICE w/ CODE
ELF Ultralight Aluminum Stock - Black - SPECIAL PRICE w/ CODE
Subtotal: $189.00
Less Coupon: ELFSTOCK -$47.25
Order Total: $141.75
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#8]
The elf is a nice design but still heavy with the buffer tube weight. Same coin for a smokes composites.

Btw, I found smokes composites stuff cheapest at Bauer precision Linky
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Cool design, I like that manufactures continue to innovate and optimize their products including weight reduction.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:34:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#10]
Originally Posted By check-raiser:
The elf is a nice design but still heavy with the buffer tube weight. Same coin for a smokes composites.

View Quote
that is a good find for anyone looking for SC stuff (I thought they only did direct sales!)...but all of the SC stocks are currently OOS.

pwd update: ELF stock added...all user-submitted data within the PWD added as well. Back on track!
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:39:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn this is still a great thread and I am glad to see all the support from the different manufactures for us light weight guys.

I just tallied my rifle and build (because I am going to part it out) and I have about $2500 into it. from start to finish. including all taxes, DROS, shipping etc etc

But I did get it down to 3.288 lbs. (no sights on this weight) on metal/billet receivers.

Im sure it could have been below 3lbs with poly upper and lower (which I never wanted to do) and a couple small changes here and there, mainly a brigand arms shot carbon hand guard.

Light weight is fun, addicting and EXPENSIVE
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 1:52:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#12]
Originally Posted By Jwood562:
Damn this is still a great thread and I am glad to see all the support from the different manufactures for us light weight guys.

I just tallied my rifle and build (because I am going to part it out) and I have about $2500 into it. from start to finish. including all taxes, DROS, shipping etc etc

But I did get it down to 3.288 lbs. (no sights on this weight) on metal/billet receivers.

Im sure it could have been below 3lbs with poly upper and lower (which I never wanted to do) and a couple small changes here and there, mainly a brigand arms shot carbon hand guard.

Light weight is fun, addicting and EXPENSIVE
View Quote
Yeah man, your all metal sub 3.5 build is hard to beat!!! My polymer wonder 5.56 with shield SMS is 3.2 lbs. I think i should give up, rofl but if i say that some new stuff is gonna come out!!! My 308 with shield sms is firmly under 5 lbs and my 50 beowulf pistol with tailhook mod 2 telescoping brace is right under 4.5 lbs with backup sights. All have magnesium keymod handguards, qd sling points and bipod mounts at that weight. Now the 50 is an exciting pistol to shoot!!! It shakes the whole indoor range. Lol, compare any of those to my vepr 7.62x39 at 10 lbs and you start to see where technology can take us!!! I would be thrilled to get my 5.56 under 3 lbs but without custom milled parts i don't see how it's possible right now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 2:01:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Just got my 8-35x56 scope for my 22 Nosler 24 inch barrel. Total for the upper was 9.4 pounds or more than my 556 (2.7#) and my AR308 (4.46#) and I could add my 6.8 light weight upper and still be less then the 22 Nosler upper.

Just a slight deviation as I have 4 extra light weight lowers and a couple of ultra light upper receivers and ultra light weight hand guards.

Should I build an under 5 pound 224 Val with 18 inch barrel (28oz), heck I could do that under 4.5 pounds.

Lets face it 223/556 are kind of boring.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 2:10:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: breastroker] [#14]
I just don't see how you spent so much, buying the wrong parts are probably part of the problem. I only buy during sales. Got the last 16" Faxon 556 pencil for $127

There are basic items that will get any 556 under 3.5 pounds and probably under 3.0

The Faxon pencil barrel
Fostech al/mg upper
Fostech lower receiver
Smoke Composites open carbine length stock
Aluminum BCG
Titanium and or aluminum lower parts and gas block
CF hand guard

Getting these on sale and or mil discounts the 3 pound rifle could be had for about $1000

My AR15 7.62x39 is right at 5 pounds and just shot it this week, about 1 MOA and sure is nice not to have to pick up brass!!!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 2:35:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By breastroker:
I just don't see how you spent so much, buying the wrong parts are probably part of the problem. I only buy during sales. Got the last Faxon pencil for $127

There are basic items that will get any 556 under 3.5 pounds and probably under 3.0

The Faxon pencil barrel
Fostech al/mg upper
Fostech lower receiver
Smoke Composites open carbine length stock
Aluminum BCG
Titanium and or aluminum lower parts and gas block
CF hand guard

Getting these on sale and or mil discounts the 3 pound rifle could be had for about $1000

My AR15 7.62x39 is right at 5 pounds and just shot it this week, about 1 MOA and sure is nice not to have to pick up brass!!!!
View Quote
well, that is where we differ. you went with the lightest parts possible. for example. poly uppers and lowers vs billet uppers and lowers. you paid $100 and I paid $500.

then my ad is conservative figures of retail vs only going for sale figures.

there is no way you only paid $127 for a 14.5 pencil barrel with perma attached slim flash hider. it has never been that low. it is never in stock and hardly ever on sale. it retails for $229

also you have gone with a poly LPK $39 vs a metal all titanium/aluminum LPK carefully pieced together for a few hundred dollars. my LPK was super expensive because all parts were damn near individuals prices. shit I have $200 in my trigger and hammer alone.

that is damn $1k alone in the reciever set, barrel, BCG alone....
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 3:02:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Luv863] [#16]
Don't know if anyone else has tried one of these buffer springs so I purchased one. Its a braided buffer spring but not from geissele. Its a braided buffer spring from arms unlimited. A place called forbus tactical also seems to sell it and claim to have tested it in .458 socom and 50 beowulf rifles. It supposed to be a more reliable replacement for a standard buffer spring not a lightweight spring. The interesting part is that it weighed in at 34 grams on my scale equal to my tubbs lightweight buffer spring and its also 3'' longer than the tubbs spring. So in theory one could trim it down and possibly have a light weight buffer spring close to 1.0 oz but stronger than the nemo spring? I just don't know if it will maintain enough strength after being trimmed. In the photo with the 3 springs the top one is an extra strength chrome silicon spring, the middle is the tubbs, and the bottom is the braided buffer spring. Also the braided spring has 24 coils while the tubbs has 25.
https://www.armsunlimited.com/AU-Braided-AR15-M4-Carbine-Length-Buffer-Spring-p/au-bclbs.htm
http://forbustactical.com/forbus-tactical-ar-15-braided-buffer-spring-standard/
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ea0OQqRcmIf0cBWowkiuZNPFKfXKjTc_
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 3:37:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I know blowback doesn't get a lot of love in the lightweight game, but I got a new Spinta SS barrel for the 9mm this week that put it at 3 lb 10.5 oz total, and more significantly, 4 lb 0 oz with RDS and tac light.

The upper and lower actually add up to 3 lb 10.2 oz, highlighting the limitations of my 0.2 oz scale that rounds to 0.5 oz about 2 lbs.  The RDS and riser are 2.7 oz, while the light and mount are 2.8 oz, so the real total is ~3 lb 15.7 oz.  Which is good, because I don't have a thread protector yet for the new barrel with 1/2x28 instead of the old one's 1/2x36.  PWD to the rescue!  Several 0.2 to 0.3 oz options that will keep me right at 4.0 lbs.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Well I finally have a Aluminum bolt carrier headed my way,  I'm going to give the Shooting Innovations AR-15 LMB Low Mass BCG a try!  They say its 5.9oz!
This will be my first aluminum carrier, looking forward to tuning it in! I've ran a 7.9 steel BCG without issue.

Rainier Arms has them for $159.99 if anyone is looking!
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#19]

well, that is where we differ. you went with the lightest parts possible. for example. poly uppers and lowers vs billet uppers and lowers. you paid $100 and I paid $500.

then my ad is conservative figures of retail vs only going for sale figures.

there is no way you only paid $127 for a 14.5 pencil barrel with perma attached slim flash hider. it has never been that low. it is never in stock and hardly ever on sale. it retails for $229

also you have gone with a poly LPK $39 vs a metal all titanium/aluminum LPK carefully pieced together for a few hundred dollars. my LPK was super expensive because all parts were damn near individuals prices. shit I have $200 in my trigger and hammer alone.

that is damn $1k alone in the reciever set, barrel, BCG alone....
View Quote
Yeah man, breastroker has some silly light stuff. He uses custom carbon fiber handguards and barrel nuts, hard to beat that. He has the sickness for sure... I prefer a modular handguard myself otherwise i would probably have gone with brigand arms for my 5.56 and 308. I still wouldn't be down to his weights but w/e, i don't mind not being the lightest! It's exciting for me seeing just how lightweight an ar-15 or lr-308 can be!!! Btw breastroker have you seen the v7 lightweight 308 cam pins? I know you wanted somebody to make them a while back.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
I have purchased Faxon pencil barrels for around this price.  I don't see where he mentioned it was the perm attached flash rider model.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Wmcray:

I have purchased Faxon pencil barrels for around this price.  I don't see where he mentioned it was the perm attached flash rider model.
View Quote
He didn’t, but let’s make sure we are comparing apples to apples. I’m sure you can find pencils barrels for $99 now, but the exact barrel I used retails for $229 and seldom goes on sale.

Another thing to remember when looking at my build is there were not many options a few years ago when I started this build. For example aluminum carriers were few and far between. THe only option for a new one was JP rifles for $339. I am happy to see much more support from companies for the light weight guys.

Also remember I built my rifle to my specs. No polymer, all metal and off the shelf parts. Basically the lightest parts available at the time that met my specs.

My only custom parts were the barrel nut when another user had a small batch made and I machined some top rail segments off my handguard.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#22]

He didn’t, but let’s make sure we are comparing apples to apples. I’m sure you can find pencils barrels for $99 now, but the exact barrel I used retails for $229 and seldom goes on sale.

Another thing to remember when looking at my build is there were not many options a few years ago when I started this build. For example aluminum carriers were few and far between. THe only option for a new one was JP rifles for $339. I am happy to see much more support from companies for the light weight guys.

Also remember I built my rifle to my specs. No polymer, all metal and off the shelf parts. Basically the lightest parts available at the time that met my specs.

My only custom parts were the barrel nut when another user had a small batch made and I machined some top rail segments off my handguard.
View Quote
The magnesium kmr 10 is even lighter than the new v7 hyperlight handguards when you use titanium clamp blocks and a stitchclimber/black label holsters barrel nut. It still comes out to be a gram lighter if you add a v7 qd sling mount to it. It's really a shame they quit making the shorter length kmr's. I was fortunate enough to get a magnesium kmr 9 several months ago in a trade, it's on my 50 beowulf right now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I purchased the 16 inch 19.54 ounce Faxon pencil barrel in 556, for $127 with free shipping. Faxon switched their pencil barrels to 223 Wylde, like that was something magic.

Like I stated I bought a lot of Mag Tactical and Fostech METAL lowers, yes they do weigh a little more than the Tegra polymer lowers. I also have a ultra light weight METAL Fostech upper, I think I paid about $115 for it. Put a polymer plug where the FA was.

I have 3 Smoke Composite CF stocks, but have a couple of aluminum carbine adjustable stocks that weigh less than 10 ounces including the buffer tube, buffer and stock. I have a rifle length buffer tube with aluminum stock that weighs 6.3 ounces (without buffer).

The Faxon pencil barrel  $127
Fostech al/mg upper

$125 w/shipping
Mag Tact lower receiver   $65 w/shipping
Smoke Composites open carbine length stock $189
Aluminum BCG

$100 for carrier and $39 for bolt
Titanium and or aluminum lower parts and gas block $150
CF hand guard

$50
Trigger $39 with entire polymer lower parts kit
or trigger $59.99 1.8 ounce HIPERTOUCH EDT with FAST lock time. Lightest of all the metal triggers

Total $905 certainly under $1000. But I do buy on all Holiday Sales, use my military discounts at 2A and V Seven and JoeBobs.

I had my all aluminum AR15 about 3.00 pounds before I got the polymer receivers involved, those brought it down to 2.7 pounds.

Looking forward to the 4 ounce Fostech no FA al/mg upper this summer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 11:16:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: breastroker] [#24]
My AR308 is down to 4.46 pounds, I really wanted a titanium cam pin. The V Seven 308 cam pin isn't a whole bunch lighter than a standard cam pin. I emailed them about the weight which wasn't listed correctly, close to their AR15 cam pin weight.

Just checked and their listed weight is now at 11.1 grams. I think the LanTac 308 cam pin may be lighter, just no hard data for that.

The large frame light weight parts grows slowly.. My huge advantage is my CF handguard with barrel nut weighs less than 3 ounces.

POF 308 roller cam pin 12.365 grams or 0.4360 ounces
V Seven enhanced 308 cam pin 11.1 grams or 0.391541 ounces
NiB 308 cam pin 12.415 grams
Black 308 cam pin 12.665 grams
Black 308 cam pin 12.455 grams
Titanium 308 cam pin ~ 6.5 grams

My AR308 Wish List

The 16 ounce Xanthos receiver set could be made lighter using 2055 lithium aluminum and some additional cuts like down the center of the top rail. So maybe 15 ounces saving one ounce.

The carbine length Smoke Composites stock @ 3.3 ounces could be made lighter down to 2.9 ounces saving 0.40 ounces.

The trigger could be titanium saving almost 1 ounce.

The mag catch of titanium with refinements could save another 0.10 ounces.

The titanium carrier could be made 1.5 ounces with simple cuts like on many AR15 carriers.

The carrier key could be made of titanium saving 0.30 ounces

The cam pin could be made of titanium saving 0.20 ounces.

The safety can be made 0.10 ounces lighter.

The buffer spring can be made of titanium saving 0.7 ounces.

All detents and detent springs could be made of titanium saving about 0.15 ounces.

That BAD 0.750 Gas block is great but cutting the bottom of the C off and using a titanium set screw could save 0.10 ounces.

The Hogue grip could be cut lighter down to 0.90 ounces saving 0.20 ounces.

Add a 4 ounce lighter 308 barrel with titanium extension saving 4.0 ounces

Total is close to 8.75 ounces less. Currently at 72 ounces with the Hyper fire trigger.

So close to 63.25 ounces or 3.953 pounds.

So it is possible just not right now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 11:33:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone have any experience with V7 barrels?
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 12:27:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By hfrog355:
Anyone have any experience with V7 barrels?
View Quote
I got one of their 6.5 in 300 blk fluted barrels. Very nice, i would probably go with a KAK if i could do it again though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#27]
"Looking forward to the 4 ounce Fostech no FA al/mg upper this summer."

Hold it! they ARE coming out with a no FA version?!?!?! Where'd you get a hold of that info. Talked to engineering last fall and was basically told there was no way I'd see that anytime soon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 6:21:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BKKJ] [#28]
I have just become a tester and evaluator for a new company who will be releasing the lightest trigger group made of metal with the fastest lock time of any AR trigger. As much as 5 times faster. That means your groups will get smaller. They state the titanium trigger springs are a major advance in performance and reliability.

They also have stiffer takedown pins both for AR15 and AR308's, and make a titanium bolt catch. They are looking at titanium enhanced cam pins with better wear resistance as well as lighter weight. I mentioned there is a market for titanium buffer springs, they have looked at it only difficulty is the dies wear out quickly. Just imagine a half ounce spring!

I would like to judge the interest in in these parts, understand they will not be ready for retail until February 2018. Although they are in Lost Wages, they don't at this time have a booth at Shot Show or a retail store. If they do get a booth at Shot Show it will probably be small and out of the way.

I have offered my AR 308 as it is so beautiful at 4.4 pounds.

Looks like their retail prices will be close the Geissele SSA-E, although all that is in flux.

Please messenger me with interest, no need to clutter the forum thread any more unless you have questions on the parts

Any update in the Ti springs btw?

No talk just yet on a group buy or discounts, but you have a couple months to save up $$$

Also not sure of it but they may have titanium bolt catch springs, titanium take down springs and titanium buffer catch spring. May be just grams but WOW if they do.
View Quote
Any update on the Ti springs?
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I’m STILL waiting for my Fostech Mg/Al upper to ship from opticsplanet. Considering I ordered it back on Nov 9th my patience are wearing thin.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MichaelHK:
I’m STILL waiting for my Fostech Mg/Al upper to ship from opticsplanet. Considering I ordered it back on Nov 9th my patience are wearing thin.
View Quote
Lol yeah, i'm still waiting too. i ordered a little after you though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BKKJ:

Hold it! they ARE coming out with a no FA version?!?!?! Where'd you get a hold of that info. Talked to engineering last fall and was basically told there was no way I'd see that anytime soon.
View Quote
this x2...wth? Haven't heard a peep about this. On the plus side, I do have a standard Fostech upper from Optics planet. Not sure why I got mine and no one else here did...but it's in the "build box" as we speak. :)
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Faxon Firearms 14.5" PENCIL, 5.56 NATO, Mid-Length, 4150 QPQ  ON SALE $139.99

Of course these NEVER go on sale
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By check-raiser:

View Quote
I was able to get smokes to price match Bauer
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By BKKJ:

View Quote
Asked them about this at the last knob creek shoot and they told me it was too expensive to do
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 12:02:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jwood562] [#35]
Faxon Firearms 14.5" PENCIL, 5.56 NATO, Mid-Length, 4150 QPQ  ON SALE $139.99

Of course these NEVER go on sale
View Quote
I honestly think you have issues understanding things that people write here. I have said what barrel I used twice. that is not the barrel in question.

you look silly posting a passive aggressive post about how they "NEVER" go on sale, and post a sale post (not even a link) to the wrong barrel.

this is the barrel I used. faxon
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 2:31:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Question, Does the hand guard weights for V Seven include the barrel nuts? It looks like they list the barrel nut separate.

I was looking at one of their $339 15 inch that weighed 7.7 ounces and the barrel nut another 1.13 ounces

For my 7.62x39 I initially installed a Red anodized 15" Guntec that weighed 7.15 ounces with a heavier aluminum barrel nut that weighed 1.51 ounces.

The eBay aluminum barrel nuts are lighter @ 0.90 ounces and takes M5 titanium screws. It is strange as both ends are threaded.

So just over 8 ounces for a little over $120.

I cut the aluminum barrel nut back so it now weighs .759 ounces
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow, My bad. Wish you had posted a link earlier as that is a huge difference.

That is a lot of money to get a barrel to 16.1 inches and weigh that much. It is accurate?

I keep with 16 inch barrels so I don't have to pin a flash hider on.

I have thought of adding a 2 inch titanium 35 hole muzzle brake (Anarchy Outdoors) to a 14.5 inch barrel but it wouldn't be much lighter than my cut down Faxon 16 inch pencil @ 18.9 ounces

Maybe if the 14.5 inch gets down to $99 as I have a bunch of the Ti muzzle brakes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#38]
still waiting for someone to make a 1.6" long Ti clone of the Faxon SLIM flash hider...with some kind of coating that prevents Ti 'sparking'. Pinned/welded to a modded 14.5" Faxon pencil would be about as light as we're likely to get anytime soon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 6:15:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#39]
I’ve done some calculations and I believe a turned down 14.5 carbine barrel could go under 16 ounces and still be at the industry minimum diameter standards that I’ve seen on manufacturers sites.

Pin/weld on an aluminum flash hider and we are now looking at a 3 lb gun with magnesium receivers.

Shorten it to 13 inches with an p/w aluminum extension and maybe a 3 lb gun with a V7 or MOA receiver set.

Not sure how long an aluminum FH would last but it’d be easy enough to replace if needed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow, My bad. Wish you had posted a link earlier as that is a huge difference.

That is a lot of money to get a barrel to 16.1 inches and weigh that much. It is accurate?

I keep with 16 inch barrels so I don't have to pin a flash hider on.

I have thought of adding a 2 inch titanium 35 hole muzzle brake (Anarchy Outdoors) to a 14.5 inch barrel but it wouldn't be much lighter than my cut down Faxon 16 inch pencil @ 18.9 ounces

Maybe if the 14.5 inch gets down to $99 as I have a bunch of the Ti muzzle brakes.
View Quote
no worries man. I have not tested the accuracy to its extent yet. I don't even think I have rounds through this barrel yet since my last rebuild of the upper. My last barrel was a 14.5 pencil with a titanium muzzle break that was tested for cycling and to adjust the gas block but not really for accuracy.

Do you run thread protectors on your 16" barrels with no muzzle break?
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#41]
@breastroker

Can we get a link for the aftermarket Guntec Aluminum barrel but?   I looked all over eBay and can’t find it

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By kala_azar:
@breastroker

Can we get a link for the aftermarket Guntec Aluminum barrel but?   I looked all over eBay and can’t find it

Thanks
View Quote
I would suggest searching for aluminum barrel nut, but pick your favorite anatomical term... :)  #2 search result on google:

https://www.guntecusa.com/ar-15-free-floating-handguard-barrel-nut-for-ultralight-jk-series-aluminum
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#43]
The Guntec is heavy, try this one both lighter and cheaper

eBay ultra light barrel nut
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#44]
bad link....but even when fixed manually it says that the 'item has been removed'...
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
bad link....but even when fixed manually it says that the 'item has been removed'...
View Quote
I noticed that, too, but if you go to quote the message the link is valid.  It's something goofy with the redirect.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm building a new upper. Not really focused on lightweight this go round, but I think I'm going to wind up going with the no-F/A Aero upper yet again because it's just amazing value and quality. I think this is my 4th or 5th one.

I'm looking for a basic, solid receiver without a forward assist. Can anyone recommend another one? I like the Bootleg one, but don't see a reason to spring for it at 3x the price. Rainier has one that's reasonable, but they've got "RAINIER" markings engraved all over the side of it and lasered on top.

Long live APAR610401C!
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#47]
The Guntec is heavy, try this one both lighter and cheaper

eBay ultra light barrel nut
View Quote
That’s the one, thanks.  I’ll see if I can figure out the redirect
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By hfrog355:
I'm building a new upper. Not really focused on lightweight this go round, but I think I'm going to wind up going with the no-F/A Aero upper yet again because it's just amazing value and quality. I think this is my 4th or 5th one.

I'm looking for a basic, solid receiver without a forward assist. Can anyone recommend another one? I like the Bootleg one, but don't see a reason to spring for it at 3x the price. Rainier has one that's reasonable, but they've got "RAINIER" markings engraved all over the side of it and lasered on top.

Long live APAR610401C!
View Quote
This is my go to to for budget builds and stacking deep.  Anderson Sport upper

I have others, 2A, Bootleg, BAD, Aero, and at one time one of the shitty MAG Tactical Magnesium.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By blAck_Rice:I noticed that, too, but if you go to quote the message the link is valid.  It's something goofy with the redirect.
View Quote
good call. I finally figured it out.

As far as the bbl nut goes, I like the design, but I'm not so sure about chicom 6061 for a bbl nut. Aluminum is a little questionable for that application anyway in a super-thin/light form factor. If someone made that in 7075 or better, I'd get one, sleeve it with CF and then mount a breastroker-like thin CF tube onto the sleeve.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:

good call. I finally figured it out.

As far as the bbl nut goes, I like the design, but I'm not so sure about chicom 6061 for a bbl nut. Aluminum is a little questionable for that application anyway in a super-thin/light form factor. If someone made that in 7075 or better, I'd get one, sleeve it with CF and then mount a breastroker-like thin CF tube onto the sleeve.
View Quote
Black label holsters (stitchclimber) makes fantastic aluminum barrel nuts for the kmr, nsr, and i think he used to make smos barrel nuts. I have several. I do have a spare of the smos if anyone is interested. They aren't available on the website.
Page / 128
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top