User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 913
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By new-arguy:
Originally Posted By lowonair:
Anyone sell these uppers fully assembled? I'd love to have one but don't have the time to build one.

Check your IMs

+1 i wanna know
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone sell these uppers fully assembled? I'd love to have one but don't have the time to build one.

Check your IMs

Replied. So what accessories are allowed on these rifles? I saw that someone posted a pic with aimpoint micros and magpul stocks in action. Are these acceptable? That's how i would set mine up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Well what do you consider a "clone"? The basic load out issued by the government, or a common load out carried by the operator?  If the ladder, than aimpoint and magpul would be kosher.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Blacktide:
Well what do you consider a "clone"? The basic load out issued by the government, or a common load out carried by the operator?  If the ladder, than aimpoint and magpul would be kosher.

To me, a "clone" (that's what this thread is for, right?) is either a stock "as issued" weapon, or one in a common config. carried by someone "in the wild",  NOT WHAT YOU THINK THE WEAPON NEEDS TO UPGRADE OR MAKE IT BETTER.  In other words, a friend who was in Army infantry had a Stark grip on his M4––that's OK by me.  There are pics to prove this is how he rolled in the sandbox.  So if folks actually used a weapon in service in a particular config. that's fine.  But don't go putting a DD rifle length rail on a Mk12 mod1 with a YHM suppressor––that's not a Mk12.  SPR OK, but not a Mk12.  Same goes for a Mk18: don't go putting a LaRue Free Float carbine hand guard on it with a Troy BUIS and CTR stock and expect to call it a Mk18.  It's a nice rifle and worthy of posting pics of it, but not in the Mk18 thread.  Get my drift?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FAB-10_Guy:

To me, a "clone" (that's what this thread is for, right?) is either a stock "as issued" weapon, or one in a common config. carried by someone "in the wild",  NOT WHAT YOU THINK THE WEAPON NEEDS TO UPGRADE OR MAKE IT BETTER.  In other words, a friend who was in Army infantry had a Stark grip on his M4––that's OK by me.  There are pics to prove this is how he rolled in the sandbox.  So if folks actually used a weapon in service in a particular config. that's fine.  But don't go putting a DD rifle length rail on a Mk12 mod1 with a YHM suppressor––that's not a Mk12.  SPR OK, but not a Mk12.  Same goes for a Mk18: don't go putting a LaRue Free Float carbine hand guard on it with a Troy BUIS and CTR stock and expect to call it a Mk18.  It's a nice rifle and worthy of posting pics of it, but not in the Mk18 thread.  Get my drift?

thats pretty much how i feel about it as well,a nd yes stark grips are issued to certain people

U.S. Army 82nd Airborne Division, 4th Brigade Combat Team, HHT 4-73 Cavalry Squadron (Recon).
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]

That's exactly why i'm trying to see what all fits in this thread. Off to do some more reading.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]
in shorter terms, the weapon itself is one thing (receivers, FH, barrel, rail, collapsible stock), accessories are another, because individuals are offered an amount of leniency (sp?).
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Pretty much shit that is armorer level to replace is a no-go for a clone I'd say
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
Pretty much shit that is armorer level to replace is a no-go for a clone I'd say

thats what i was trying to get across
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:28:37 AM EDT
[#11]
After reading this whole thread the last couple hours and I have a question.  Can I use the RIS II with a battlecomp 1.5 suppressor?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cavscouty:
After reading this whole thread the last couple hours and I have a question.  Can I use the RIS II with a battlecomp 1.5 suppressor?

personally i would say no, but its all up to you
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:34:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cavscouty] [#13]
Originally Posted By NapeSticksToKids:

I guess I was asking  if it is possible.

Forgive my ignorance.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:36:03 AM EDT
[#14]

I guess I was if it is possible.

Forgive my ignorance.

all i know is what ive learned in this thread lol, but flash hiders are one of the more stringent parts of the build since there are only certain ones in the supply line and require armorer to switch out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:37:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cavscouty] [#15]
all i know is what ive learned in this thread lol, but flash hiders are one of the more stringent parts of the build since there are only certain ones in the supply line and require armorer to switch out.

Word. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:38:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: new-arguy] [#16]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#17]
In this thread alone we have seen KAC, Phantom, Surefire and even a PWS on mil. weapons.

But no battle comps.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#18]

I wanna hug the shit out of you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice, I'd been looking into an SF can as a possible next purchase, though I might go with a mini model.  

I wonder if they're using the B.E. Meyers flash suppressor mount in 7.62 as well?  It'll be interesting to see the MK17 without a reflex suppressor mount.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By sinlessorrow:

Check your IMs

+1 i wanna know

I think he's meaning not to advertise himself on the board- but GunGallery will build you pretty much whatever you want, and from what I've seen at least, it's great work!

If you want a complete upper built, rather than a DIY project, just give him a shout.

For whomever was asking about the gasblock, I'm suspecting that replacement M4A1 barrels might be being sourced stripped and installed that way, rather than replacing existing FSBs.  It's easier to go ahead a re-barrel than it is to retro-fit.  

As for my clone, I'm still debating shaving down the FSB, but I may not "just in case" I ever want to return to a fixed FSB version, so I may just install a MK12 gas block with set screws, and put the front taper pin through the exposed hole and call it a day.  

Colt parkerizes under the FSB, so I've got nothing else to worry about...

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow is all I have to say right now about my bcm 14.5 upper situation.

Looks like I'll be buying another BCM 14.5 when I bravo company gets them back in inventory again
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By kbi:
Wow is all I have to say right now about my bcm 14.5 upper situation.

Looks like I'll be buying another BCM 14.5 when I bravo company gets them back in inventory again

you can have a company like ADCO remove a permanently welded hider
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Sell it for a profit, a BC is a pretty expensive muzzle device as is, even parting it out you could make a profit from someone who wanted a 14.5" middy, clone or not, with a BC.

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Or that, you can most likely at least break even on it
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#25]
any pics with the Grip Pod (or not) ? thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:21:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jonconsiglio] [#26]
Well, a while back I figured I'd build an almost-block 2 since I have a mk18 and I really like the RIS II's over my URX II's. I've talked to Neil and decided to do a 14.5" instead of switching the rail to the RIS II on my KAC. Two weeks ago I ordered the RIS II, specifying the color and included the product code in my order. The rail came in yesterday and I was going to send it all to Neil, then I opened the box to find a black RIS II, which is not what I ordered. Since he has no FDE RIS II's in stock, I'm sure an exchange will take a couple weeks.

Now, I'm not sure if I should go ahead and send it down to Neil today and deal with black or if I should wait a few weeks for an exchange. I don't mind waiting, and I don't mind the black since ultimately I'll hit it with Krylon, but I've really grown to like the FDE of my MK18's rail. There's more going on with this as I have someone buying the barrel, bolt and gas block from my KAC, and I don't want them to have to wait, so that's the one reason I'm thinking of sticking with the black, the other is I'll use this rifle at work and would like to get it done as soon as possible...

The most ridiculous part about this whole thing is that I even care this much! Oh well, I'll see how it plays out today. A lot of great rifle in this thread..

Jon
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Honestly if you're gonna spray paint it anyways, I would say use the black one, forget it, and move on.  

That being said, I'd pissed as a matter of principle if I ordered an FDE and received a black, though there's no functional difference.  

If I were you, I'd just use the black, paint it as I was planning to already, and take it up with the distributor- see if they'll throw in some store credit, or a goodie or two to make up for their flub.  I'd be satisfied I think if I got the wrong color RIS II, but the vendor wanted to throw in some PMags or a set of nice rail covers or something rather than shipping back and forth, re-packaging and re-stocking, and having to wait for backordered parts to come back in.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#28]
but but, if he paints the black ones and they inevitable scratch he'll see the BLACK under the paint, mocking him of the wrong colored rails!!

I would definitely call up and complain, you order one thing and get another is something that shouldn't happen.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
but but, if he paints the black ones and they inevitable scratch he'll see the BLACK under the paint, mocking him of the wrong colored rails!!

I would definitely call up and complain, you order one thing and get another is something that shouldn't happen.

i would def want an exchange, it doesnt matter if your going to paint over it.

you ordered a FDE and got a black, thats not what you ordered so it should be corrected at no cost to you
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:42:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonconsiglio] [#30]
I think that's it. I ordered a number of expensive items there before with no issue, as have many I know. The fact I verified FDE and sent product codes really is what bothers me. So, now I wait a few more weeks as it took forever in the first place, or deal with black. I'm not paying any more out of pocket while I wait for this to be corrected though,

Had I known I was doing a completely new upper qt the time, I'd have done it all through Neil and had it a while ago.

ETA - Well, now he's telling me there's a restocking fee and he'll check if DD has the FDE is in stock. A restocking fee on their mistake? I've owned two businesses and would never do that unless it was on them...

Sorry this derailed the thread! I'll post some pics when it's done..
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:10:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonconsiglio] [#31]
Double post
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jonconsiglio:
I think that's it. I ordered a number of expensive items there before with no issue, as have many I know. The fact I verified FDE and sent product codes really is what bothers me. So, now I wait a few more weeks as it took forever in the first place, or deal with black. I'm not paying any more out of pocket while I wait for this to be corrected though,

Had I known I was doing a completely new upper qt the time, I'd have done it all through Neil and had it a while ago.

ETA - Well, now he's telling me there's a restocking fee and he'll check if DD has the FDE is in stock. A restocking fee on their mistake? I've owned two businesses and would never do that unless it was on them...

What company is this? That's bad business IMHO
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Like I said, I said I wouldn't be happy with it, but I would use it rather than to worry about having to deal with all that.

I'd just keep it and demand restitution.  Demand!  Demand!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#34]
If it's really not going to bug you, just keep the black one.  If you are just trying to justify to yourself that you don't mind just to save yourself the hastle, make the vendor fix their mistake.  It will probably bug you years down the road if you don't.  

The restocking fee is completely unacceptable if it was their mistake.  If they refuse to make it right at no expense to you, I'd keep the black and let them know that you're going to let everyone know how they treat their customers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Definitely get the FDE one as you ordered. I got mine from Rainier––best price I could find and no BS.

That said, the EOTech came in today. I love this gun (I know, I don't have the "correct" FH, grip, or trigger guard––I think the M620V counts, though).

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok here's my Block II style AR although not part for part a Block II with the SCAR 17s
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e30/VonCoz72/100_0751.jpg
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#37]

That is completely unacceptable!  Give them the opportunity fix it on their dime, or report them to the Better Business Bureau and blab their name here so we can all avoid doing business with them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Who was it? I'd like to know so I'm sure to not spend any money with them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh, my 553 showed up today, but I wasn't home, so couldn't sign for it.

Have to get it tomorrow from the post office.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#40]
What kind of dough are people dropping on these uppers? I like the looks of them but also like the looks and bang-for-the-buck of the LaRue PredatAR...

I bet the upper itself weighs about as much as the entire Pred though
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By osha:
What kind of dough are people dropping on these uppers? I like the looks of them but also like the looks and bang-for-the-buck of the LaRue PredatAR...

I bet the upper itself weighs about as much as the entire Pred though

You're talking about a rifle that was made to be super light. I've never understood people who complain about the weight of a rifle. Something like a block II rifle isn't going to be overly heavy. Should weigh about the same as any similar rifle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:32:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: osha] [#43]
It's just that I came from an HBAR dissy with a full stock, and that wasn't fun to shoot one-handed. At all.

It was about 10 or so pounds with an Aimpoint micro and Insight M3, I think. As long as it's in the 8-9 range with the same stuff, I'm totally cool with the weight. The slim profiles of the handguards also makes them comparable in my mind.

ETA: Also, any ideas on why the muzzle device chosen was the 215 instead of the 212? I noticed that the AF rifles had the 212 in some pictures in this thread...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:25:03 AM EDT
[#44]
PredatAR is light weight, no questioning that. But if you skip the whole SOCOM weight barrel and just use a M4 or otherwise govt weight barrel, the M4A1 Sopmod uppers are light and handy. Almost everyone who picks one up seems to think so. It's one of several things that people find appealing. People who just like ARs and have no idea it's a clone tend to like the looks, weight and balance of this
configuration.

I chopped a SOCOM barrel for mine, reminded me why I sold my last SOCOM barrel 4 years ago.  It is authentic, but I could do without the extra few oz.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By nf9648:
PredatAR is light weight, no questioning that. But if you skip the whole SOCOM weight barrel and just use a M4 or otherwise govt weight barrel, the M4A1 Sopmod uppers are light and handy. Almost everyone who picks one up seems to think so. It's one of several things that people find appealing. People who just like ARs and have no idea it's a clone tend to like the looks, weight and balance of this
configuration.

I chopped a SOCOM barrel for mine, reminded me why I sold my last SOCOM barrel 4 years ago.  It is authentic, but I could do without the extra few oz.

what do you mean chopped?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:45:26 AM EDT
[#46]
configuration.

My Block II is pretty heavy, loaded it comes in at 11 pounds, but its got all of the cool guy stuff - Elcan, PEQ15, white light. Without all that with the SU231 its about two pounds lighter. Still, even though its solid in weight, it balances very well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By nf9648:
configuration.

what do you mean chopped?

Front sight post, not the barrel itself.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:15:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: avex] [#49]
Originally Posted By damcv62:
Oh, my 553 showed up today, but I wasn't home, so couldn't sign for it.

Have to get it tomorrow from the post office.

hope you like it
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:06:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jonconsiglio] [#50]
Hey guys, didn't mean to leave everyone hanging there. I don't want to out the dealer even though what he did was wrong. I had emailed him back saying I shouldn't have to pay for anything since this was their fault. He then said that it's usually 15% restocking fee but he'd only charge me 3% for the cc processing fee and it would be about two weeks. He said they normally would just do the exchange. I was pretty upset. I mean, I've ordered two triple taps from this guy, mounts, a T1 a while back and numerous other somewhat expensive items and I was surprised at Joe I was treated this time. Most of you would be very surprised if I said who it was.

Anyway, I decided to say screw it and send Neil the black one and just deal with it. I already probably irritated the hell out of Neil with all my emails and had I known where this was going, I would have just done everything through him in the first place. I don't know how much he would want me to say here, but he said just to send it all in to him and he'd make it right foe me. Absolutely awesome service. I'm a regular on a site that we can't mention here, and also Defensive Carry and 1911 forum. I've always recommended the other place on those sites and at least 4 or 5 full rifles or uppers were purchased on that advice. From now on, I'll only be recommending Neil.

So, pretty soon I'll have my upper. Since this will he used for classes, training and work, there's a couple things I'm doing my way instead of true cloning since I perform better with certain optics and gear.

It'll have a 14.5" BCM mid length barrel, a Troy gas block, a Noveske upper (unless he gets a BCM in by then), a FDE RIS II and an A2X flash hider unpinned for now. I'll eventually switch to the Surefire flash hider as I have a 212 can on order. I left it unpinned since I can run it on a SBR'd lower for now and if I decide I want it pinned for the next handful of months until the can comes in, the FH is already drilled and I can have it tacked by a friend.

It'll have KAC front and rear sights and will have or switch between an ACOG RCO M4 or a T1 with a magnifier on a twist mount. the lower will be an SBR'd Noveske for now. It'll also occasionally have a PEQ 15. I need to buy my own, but I have access to them for now and am saving up for a PVS 21....hopefully.

I'd like an Elcan, but I have a number of optics around, so I'm not sure if I'll be doing that sooner or later. One thing I'm surprised by in this thread is the lack of slings, but I imagine that's just for pics. I have a half dozen VCAS slings and couldn't have a rifle without one, but I also keep my slings on my rifles all the time. Hopefully soon I can post some pics of a semi-clone. Thanks for all the help with this one.
Page / 913
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top