Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 913
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:11:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#1]
Mine feels pretty light but doesn't have all the cool-kid whiz-bang gizmos.  All I need is a KAC front iron and a means to mount my Scout tape-switch to my rail.  I'm having a hard time deciding between the ERGO tape-switch mount or the pricy SureFire SR07 switch.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I would just get one of the Tangodown panels or VFGs with the pocket.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:31:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonconsiglio] [#3]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
Mine feels pretty light but doesn't have all the cool-kid whiz-bang gizmos.  All I need is a KAC front iron and a means to mount my Scout tape-switch to my rail.  I'm having a hard time deciding between the ERGO tape-switch mount or the pricy SureFire SR07 switch.

I have an SR07 which I really like, but on my mk18, I'm starting to really appreciate running the standard tape switch in between the 9 and 12 o'clock rails. This works especially well if you're mounting a PEQ 15 out front.

Jason Falla has his set up like that on his RIS II and I'm sure I'll do it that way when my block 2 type upper comes in as well. Well, actually he runs the light switch between the 3 and 6 o'clock rails and his PEQ 15 switch (or DBAL actually)  between the 9 and 12 o'clock rails.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By new-arguy:

I have those Ergo tape switches at work. I can't give them away. They just don't stay put together very well. The SR switch is the way to go.

Having said that, the velcro that came with my Insight M6 rifle light is staying put pretty well... so far. I remain skeptical, but we'll see how time and use treats it. If it stays put, the SF comes with the same type adhesive backed velcro.

Sweet - that's the kinda feedback I was looking for.  I'm using a KAC hand-stop instead of a VFG so the SR switch will work brilliantly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By new-arguy:
Oh, and don't sweat it Jon, glad we are in a position to help. After 30 or so emails, I'm glad you'll be getting what you wanted.

When you put it that way.... I sound a little crazy! Well, yesterday I sent you everything not needed for my upper.

I don't like those Ergo switch mounts either. Decent idea, they just don't seem like they'd hold up to very much.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:48:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonconsiglio] [#8]
Double post
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:47:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: new_ak_fan] [#9]
My Block II and Block 1.5 rifles.  Marvin P. @ Nefarious Arms did the perm. attachment of the KAC FH and install of the rail on the Block II, he did a great job, but something is rattling under the rail, I can't see what it could be that is loose.  Any ideas?

Block II specs:

Colt 6920 Sporter M4 Lower
Colt SOCOM HB Upper
Colt M-16 BCG
Colt H2 buffer
DD RIS FSP FDE
Eotech 553 Tan
Insight M3X Tan
KAC QD FH
Tan SOPMOD Gen II
KAC QD sling mount
Matech BUIS
BFG Vickers VCAS padded sling

Block 1.5 Specs:

Colt 6920 Sporter M4
Eotech 553 Tan
Insight M3X Tan
KAC RAS
Tan SOPMOD Gen II
Tan Tango Down VFG
KAC QD sling mount
Matech BUIS
KAC QD FH (need to get it installed)
BFG Vickers VCAS sling (incoming)

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]
so my brother in law decided to fuck his Block II build up by deciding he didn't like the 12" rails - he put a Mk 18 RIS II on his 14.5" gun. We're going to the range in a little bit to zero it, I'll still get some pics of it for the thread with my gun and my other brother in law's SCAR 16S.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
so my brother in law decided to fuck his Block II build up by deciding he didn't like the 12" rails - he put a Mk 18 RIS II on his 14.5" gun. We're going to the range in a little bit to zero it, I'll still get some pics of it for the thread with my gun and my other brother in law's SCAR 16S.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:21:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmcflex] [#13]
Originally Posted By new_ak_fan:
\snip, but something is rattling under the rail, I can't see what it could be that is loose.  Any ideas?

There are two metal tabs on the inside of the rail (right and left) that are used for mounting a M203. They can be tightened down so they don't rattle or removed, but not with the rail installed.

Nice rifles, btw.

Edit: reduce size of quote.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Electrical tape

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By avex:
Originally Posted By damcv62:
Oh, my 553 showed up today, but I wasn't home, so couldn't sign for it.

Have to get it tomorrow from the post office.

hope you like it

That I do!!!

It was a good day for my clones. Got a couple of parts for my block II, and pretty much finished my MK12.

First was the 553 in tan for my block II clone. Pretty sexy, the ret is better then the old one I had, so I'm already happy. It has the PEQ markings on it, which I knew, but it'll work perfect for the clone, plus was $200 cheaper then any other one I found.

Then I got to the shop, can't say there was really much of interest that came in gun wise. But my M3X in tan was there, so again, another item off the list for my block II clone.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#16]
i'll be ordering an upper soon and i'm wondering where i can get some sights for it? what are the part numbers?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#17]

hope you like it

That I do!!!

It was a good day for my clones. Got a couple of parts for my block II, and pretty much finished my MK12.

First was the 553 in tan for my block II clone. Pretty sexy, the ret is better then the old one I had, so I'm already happy. It has the PEQ markings on it, which I knew, but it'll work perfect for the clone, plus was $200 cheaper then any other one I found.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/553tan.jpg

Then I got to the shop, can't say there was really much of interest that came in gun wise. But my M3X in tan was there, so again, another item off the list for my block II clone.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/m3x.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/m3x2.jpg

how bright are the m3x lights?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#18]

It really doesn't bother me. If that is what he wanted, then have at it. Clones aren't for everyone.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By lowonair:

125lumen for incan 150 for led
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#20]
are the issued M3Xs the LED or Incan?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By NapeSticksToKids:

I'm pretty sure it's the incan. The LED has a different-looking bezel (deeper grooves) that I haven't seen in any pictures of the actual rifle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Incan, the one pictured above (M3X-700) is LED, the one shown on mine pages back is the Incan. model. I have to say though, I have an M3X LED model and it is freaking bright. My only complaint compared to the incan model is the lack of adjustable beam.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Actually don't like how it feels - the Elcan makes it back heavy, feels unbalanced. My rifle might weigh 11 pounds, but the balance is great with it. He's got regret he didn't go with the longer, heavier rail to balance it out better.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#24]
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/DSC00053-2.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/DSC00054-1.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/DSC00055-1.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/DSC00056-1.jpg

Actually don't like how it feels - the Elcan makes it back heavy, feels unbalanced. My rifle might weigh 11 pounds, but the balance is great with it. He's got regret he didn't go with the longer, heavier rail to balance it out better.

looks like tax stamp time!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:44:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jonconsiglio] [#25]
Hey... That table's from World Market right? My wife bought the coffee and end tables.

ETA - I mean, that's not the main thing I was looking at in the pics or anything, it just kinda stood out.

As for the mk18 rail on there, I just don't like it. I can make good use of that rail on my mk18, but if I have the option for more rail, I'll take it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By lowonair:

hope you like it

That I do!!!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/553tan.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/m3x.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/m3x2.jpg

Not nearly as bright as my sure fires, but its not the spec. I think they are 120 or 125 lumens?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#27]

The MK18 rails don't bother me. Could be worse.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#28]

The MK18 rails don't bother me. Could be worse.

My thoughts, too. Looks pretty good actually, but I would still prefer the M4A1 RIS II.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#29]
The appearance doesn't bother me, its the balance of the weapon. It is the first AR I've picked up that was back heavy instead of nose heavy. He needs to find something, maybe a gangster grip or a flash light or whatever to even the balance out better.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#30]
The appearance doesn't bother me, its the balance of the weapon. It is the first AR I've picked up that was back heavy instead of nose heavy. He needs to find something, maybe a gangster grip or a flash light or whatever to even the balance out better.

That's a fair gripe. The unobtanium PEQ-15 (at least for me, especially if the Feds have their way) might help with the balance, but then he would lose the ability to put his support hand out farther.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:47:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: osha] [#31]
I entered in my configuration on the ar15 weight calculator, and I should be right at 8.5-9 pounds with optics, lights, BUIS, loaded mag, etc. So, it looks like I'm down for one of these.

I have an Aimpoint CompM4s that I was thinking of using, but want this to be pretty close to the the standard configuration, so I'm also looking into a 553 (the Elcan is out of my price range... for now). So far, have all the past problems with Eotechs not been the case with the 553 for you guys? I know that the CompM4s is basically flawless, but it's not considered the proper optic, yet I don't want to have to worry about my optic crapping out on me...
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By osha:
I entered in my configuration on the ar15 weight calculator, and I should be right at 8.5-9 pounds with optics, lights, BUIS, loaded mag, etc. So, it looks like I'm down for one of these.

I have an Aimpoint CompM4s that I was thinking of using, but want this to be pretty close to the the standard configuration, so I'm also looking into a 553 (the Elcan is out of my price range... for now). So far, have all the past problems with Eotechs not been the case with the 553 for you guys? I know that the CompM4s is basically flawless, but it's not considered the proper optic, yet I don't want to have to worry about my optic crapping out on me...

The latest revision to the EOTech line is the EXPS. I believe the EXPS3-0 in tan is the new SOCOM holographic sight, although I'm not sure any have been spotted in use. Supposedly, the "transverse" battery should reduce some of the problems with older EOs, but you only get one battery instead of two which reduces the overall battery life compared to the 553. If you hate ARMS mounts, then the EXPS mount is a nice option.

I went with the EXPS3-0 a couple pages back.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, I remember seeing the new designation of the EXPS-3 as the SU-231, and I considered getting it. The battery life compared to my M4s is just so little. I also think it looks kind of goofy compared to the 553. I would hope that these sights are all battle-proven now, but I still hear negative things about Eotech waaaayy more than about Aimpoint. And there are some AFSOC and other groups that were not using Eotechs exclusively, but rather Aimpoints in some pictures some pages back...

On another note, what says the hive about rear sling mounts? I have a TangoDown PR4 buffer tube sling mount in the mail... since it is something that could easily be added by an individual, is it kosher for a clone?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Just about any rear sling mount is "kosher," as these are SOF M4A1 Carbine lowers that have had just about everything under the sun put on them at some point or another.  

That being said, as they've got access to armorers who will remove stocks and replace endplates, a non-retro fit version would probably be more likely.  

DocBach, I'm pretty sure if your brother-in-law eventually decides to go with the M4A1 RIS II, he can still install it using the MK18 RIS II barrel nut and collar, since they are already installed on the barrel with the permanently pinned FH.  Just slide the existing rail off and re-install the longer one.  Depending on what gas block you used, it should fit over no problem.  Then you can still use the MK18 RIS II with the barrel nut and locking collar that came with the other RIS II for whatever you need it for.

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Has anybody used a KAC Mk12 gas block?  If so, did the block need to be modified to fit underneath the rail.  I'm considering dropping a RIS II on an SR15 and I'm curious as to what my options are.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By AnimalMother556:
Has anybody used a KAC Mk12 gas block?  If so, did the block need to be modified to fit underneath the rail.  I'm considering dropping a RIS II on an SR15 and I'm curious as to what my options are.  Thanks.

I haven't installed one personally, but I would assume no modifications would be necessary since the KAC gas block is supposed to be built to the same specs as the spec'ed Crane gas block, now at least partially manufactured by Daniel Defense.  

I do have a Block 2 CQBR upper that has the KAC MK12 gasblock, and it doesn't appear to have been modified.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#38]
My only concern is that there appears to be a relief cut for the bottom of the rail for the block in the carbine gas location, that would nullified by using and SR15 barrel.  I'm not really sure which direction to take at the moment, but this thread is making me want a rifle like this, or really anything with a RIS II.  Only problem is that barrels seem to be a bit hard to come by at the moment and and SR-15/M4A1 Block II hybrid sounds like it would be pretty rad, if not unique.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#39]
since i dont have what seems to be dump trucks of money like the rest of you, ive been watching the EE like a hawk for parts to build this fucker.

baby steps. this is what i have so far. i havent decided on a surefire or a M3X yet, ill get rid of one of the dual switches whenever i make that decision.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#40]
IMO, if you want the best light - keep being patient and searching the EE for an SF light.  I don't think you can beat the output/reliability/product support of SF.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By scoutfsu99:
IMO, if you want the best light - keep being patient and searching the EE for an SF light.  I don't think you can beat the output/reliability/product support of SF.

+ 1, the Scout is a perfect fit for this build.  Love mine!
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:08:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#42]
Will probably be getting a Scout light with a Vampire head and a LaRue offset mount eventually for when I get a chance to build a Block 2 variant.  (As far as I know, the M620V can't be mounted to an offset mount yet so I'll have to cobble it together)

Not that I'm particularly dissatisfied with the M3X SU-233s I've got, but I'd like to give the new "V" series lights a try, and I'm missing a Scout light from my collection these days- my old M600C got lost in the "duffel shuffle" of my last trip across the water.  

~Augee

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Didn't m4guru come up with one? Maybe S&S? I thought I'd seen one before
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#44]
yeah ive been looking for a FDE 620C or 600C.

fuck it, i might as well get both the M3X and the SF. i can always put one on the Mk18 im sure ill be building some day.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#45]

It's possible there might be one I don't know about (shocking, I know!  ) but there's a lot more out there readily available for the M600 series body than the M620.  Particularly since LT and Gear Sector are near the top of my "short list" for aftermarket mounting solutions, and both offer M600-series options.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#46]
yeah ive been looking for a FDE 620C or 600C.

fuck it, i might as well get both the M3X and the SF. i can always put one on the Mk18 im sure ill be building some day.

That's the ARFCOM spirit: "get both!"

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Augee:

It's possible there might be one I don't know about (shocking, I know!  ) but there's a lot more out there readily available for the M600 series body than the M620.  Particularly since LT and Gear Sector are near the top of my "short list" for aftermarket mounting solutions, and both offer M600-series options.  

~Augee

Dangerclose makes a "retrofit" kit that allows Millenium-style lights (same mounting dimensions as the M620V) to fit their offset mount. It looks sort of awkward with a M95X light, but it might work well with the M620. If I decide to go offset with my M620V, I will probably just look into getting a M600 body with Gear Sector or Dangerclose mount and changing out the head.

There's a decent thread on it HERE.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:20:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jonconsiglio] [#48]
Originally Posted By cmcflex:
Originally Posted By Augee:

~Augee

Dangerclose makes a "retrofit" kit that allows Millenium-style lights (same mounting dimensions as the M620V) to fit their offset mount. It looks sort of awkward with a M95X light, but it might work well with the M620. If I decide to go offset with my M620V, I will probably just look into getting a M600 body with Gear Sector or Dangerclose mount and changing out the head.

There's a decent thread on it HERE.

Gear Sector has that available as well, if I'm not mistaken. If not, I've seen the kit used on a Gear Sector offset mount. It is a bit awkward, but hardly noticeable. I've been using offset mounts for a while, and I have a few from gear Sector for my E series lights and my Scout lights. A couple months ago for some reason, I've gone back to the basic factory thumbscrew mounts. It's not an issue on the longer rails, but on the mk18 rail and an offset scout light on the right sight, it actually interferes with my grip just a bit. If I'm not running a laser, I wrap my thumb over the top rail and towards the front. The offset light is there and gets in the way, just a bit. The standard mount doesn't though.

I was hog hunting a while back and we use night vision on my buddy's ranch. I borrowed a friend's 620v (which I really didn't even use) and I actually liked the throw lever Surefire mount. He had his switched so the lever was on top and it worked very well, I personally wouldn't offset one.

Now, I would like the m720v and may pick one up eventually due to the extra 70% IR power over the KM2 head on the V series. Normally I wouldn't even worry about it as the illuminator is enough for me, if I even use it, but my friend's ranch where we've been shooting and hunting is 2,200 acres and has everything from thick wooded areas to open fields that stretch almost 1,800 meters, so the extra illumination is nice on nights with little moonlight.

It seems like we're going to be seeing some new Surefire gear in the SOPMOD kit, whether it's a new block or an addition, right? It looks like the Surefire 212 suppressor and 215 flash hider along with the Surefire m720v will be a part of it. If that's the case, and the EoTech EXPS 3 and G23 3x become a part of it, I may actually build a complete clone instead of a mostly-clone… I currently run a Surefire Scout and an Aimpoint T1 or ACOG on most of my rifles. My upper should be here soon from Neil, which I'm looking forward to now that the rail issue is resolved….by Neil and not the dealer.

If those things are added, which it sounds probably, I may actually give EoTech a second try.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about accessories from a clone building standpoint- remember, some of these lowers that these Block 2 uppers are going on have been in circulation since 1995.  

In the meantime end-users have been collecting up whatever accessories they've wanted.  

If you're like DocBach, and want to build a "type-specimen" or "as-issued" configuration there's obviously some things that are common elements.  

If you're building an "in-use" clone, there's a little bit more leeway.  

Another thing to think about is what unit you're "representing" if that's what you're going for.  

Consider that a unit like 75th INF has a lot more E3s and E4s- meaning they're younger, so they haven't accumulated as mush "stuff" for their personal rifles, and there's also a significant pay difference going on there, meaning they're probably not affording their own S&B Short Dots or what have you, and a "basic representation" of a RR Block 2 M4A1 might pretty much be restricted to items issued with the SOPMOD Block 2 and Block 1 Phased Replacement kits.  As they get older and gain more experience / more tours, their configurations will evolve based on what's available.  

On the other hand, Army SF will be all E6 and above, probably older in general, and a lot of guys that originally came from conventional units, and as they've been seeing service they've picked up bits and pieces along the way, so they might use older accessories in conjunction with the newest issued stuff.  

Another thing to consider is the differences in unit "culture," for example NSW is a much smaller component compared to USASOC, so their budgets and funding is relatively "free-er" compared to Army units- NSW is more likely to be able to swing a unit purchase of a specialty item, meaning that an entire platoon might have the same piece of "non-standard" gear compared to what might be seen in an Army unit.  

As for the Surefire suppressors and SU-231A/PEQ I'd say it'll be a while before we start seeing them filter down as issue items, as the contracts are relatively new, they'll pop up soon, but there will still be a lot of "legacy" equipment out there- note most M4A1s we see even now are still using the KAC M4 RAS, though most of the CQBRs seem to have been converted to the Block 2 RIS.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#50]
After reading through this thread and realizing I have an extra lower laying around I decided it's time to build one.  It' has started with a SOPMOD and a taupe Knights front sight that I just ordered.  Starting with the small stuff.  Life would be way easier if BCM had the 14.5 RIS II upper in stock.  I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon...
Page / 913
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top