User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 913
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:07:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: new-arguy] [#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Finally finished my Block II gun. My KAC taupe front sight and 200-600M rear sight are now installed. The rifle is ideal, well balanced and a dream to shoot
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ragincajun1919:
Finally finished my Block II gun. My KAC taupe front sight and 200-600M rear sight are now installed. The rifle is ideal, well balanced and a dream to shoot

good god man, where are the pics
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like that gun new-arguy.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Augee:
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about accessories from a clone building standpoint- remember, some of these lowers that these Block 2 uppers are going on have been in circulation since 1995.  

In the meantime end-users have been collecting up whatever accessories they've wanted.  

If you're like DocBach, and want to build a "type-specimen" or "as-issued" configuration there's obviously some things that are common elements.  

If you're building an "in-use" clone, there's a little bit more leeway.  

Another thing to think about is what unit you're "representing" if that's what you're going for.  

Consider that a unit like 75th INF has a lot more E3s and E4s- meaning they're younger, so they haven't accumulated as mush "stuff" for their personal rifles, and there's also a significant pay difference going on there, meaning they're probably not affording their own S&B Short Dots or what have you, and a "basic representation" of a RR Block 2 M4A1 might pretty much be restricted to items issued with the SOPMOD Block 2 and Block 1 Phased Replacement kits.  As they get older and gain more experience / more tours, their configurations will evolve based on what's available.  

On the other hand, Army SF will be all E6 and above, probably older in general, and a lot of guys that originally came from conventional units, and as they've been seeing service they've picked up bits and pieces along the way, so they might use older accessories in conjunction with the newest issued stuff.  

Another thing to consider is the differences in unit "culture," for example NSW is a much smaller component compared to USASOC, so their budgets and funding is relatively "free-er" compared to Army units- NSW is more likely to be able to swing a unit purchase of a specialty item, meaning that an entire platoon might have the same piece of "non-standard" gear compared to what might be seen in an Army unit.  

As for the Surefire suppressors and SU-231A/PEQ I'd say it'll be a while before we start seeing them filter down as issue items, as the contracts are relatively new, they'll pop up soon, but there will still be a lot of "legacy" equipment out there- note most M4A1s we see even now are still using the KAC M4 RAS, though most of the CQBRs seem to have been converted to the Block 2 RIS.  

~Augee

Exactly. For me, the upper I have coming from Grant will most likely eventually be a work rifle (as of now, a SCAR H and a mk18 block 2-type fill that role) and I can't afford to give up what works for me for the sake of an exact clone. For example, a T1 works best for me for weight and speed, though I do have an M4 I could use. The Surefire lights work better for me than the Insight and a BG17 grip has taken the place of my Magpul MOE's and A2 grips, though I recently Dremel'd the nub off of an A2 and stippled the front and I like it so far. The Tango Down standard stubby vert grip works better, even though it's a pain in the ass to get on and off the RIS II without the QD.

Also, I'm buying another NT4 for a build when the Surefire is lighter and has less shift, in my experience. I do like the idea of an exact clone though and I think it was Larry Vickers that was talking about it and had stated he kept a lot of military rifles in their standard configurations and didn't upgrade parts because of it being a clone. It was pretty interesting to hear him say that.

As for now, I like using a 3x behind an Aimpoint and I like using my ACOG TA31 RCO. I would really like an Elcan, but I'm at least a few months away from buying one as I really don't NEED it.

I don't spend much time over here on AR15.com, but I do appreciate these clone threads and some of the guys posting in them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Blacktide:

On Neil's rifle, is that the standard offset mount with the spacer that pushes it forward? I still have the standard 1/3rd mount on my M4.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jonconsiglio:

On Neil's rifle, is that the standard offset mount with the spacer that pushes it forward? I still have the standard 1/3rd mount on my M4.

Looks like a Bobro mount with the OEM cantilever spacer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 12:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonconsiglio] [#8]
Originally Posted By sweatpants:

That's what I meant, the cantilever spacer, but couldn't think of what it was called. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By new-arguy:
Originally Posted By sweatpants:

It is not a Bobro mount, it is Aimpoint's own throw lever with their cantilever spacer. The mount is called QRP (Art. No. 12198), the spacer is called their extension spacer (Art. No. 12193)

I didn't even know there was an OEM throw lever mount.

Thanks for the heads up

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Wife hid the camera charger.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Snagged a FDE sopmod finally. Almost have all of the parts. Just need to get the shit put together.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By damcv62:
Snagged a FDE sopmod finally. Almost have all of the parts. Just need to get the shit put together.

Gotta watch that ebay! I got mine from a pawn shop and the auction ended at like $110.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:12:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: osha] [#14]
Don't know if you guys saw this, but it might be of interest:

New Contract SOPMOD Stocks

Soldier Systems article explaining it

Which one of those do you guys think the current LMT FDE SOPMOD is equivalent to, color-wise? Also, that Multicam one looks hot. Would you guys shun me if I had one of those on mine?
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#15]
If anyone is looking for a SOPMOD buttstock, Rally Point Tactical is carrying the B5 SOPMOD stock, which runs $120, which is cheaper than the LMT. The B5 is the alternate source supplier to Crane. It also comes in different colors.
http://www.rptactical.com/product-detail/b5-systems-enhanced-sopmod-buttstock/791

Saw it on Solder Systems Blog this morning and thought the guys here looking for Tan SOPMOD stocks might be interested.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
If anyone is looking for a SOPMOD buttstock, Rally Point Tactical is carrying the B5 SOPMOD stock, which runs $120, which is cheaper than the LMT. The B5 is the alternate source supplier to Crane. It also comes in different colors.
http://www.rptactical.com/product-detail/b5-systems-enhanced-sopmod-buttstock/791

Saw it on Solder Systems Blog this morning and thought the guys here looking for Tan SOPMOD stocks might be interested.

Hahaha, I just posted that exact thing 2 minutes earlier.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By osha:
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:

Hahaha, I just posted that exact thing 2 minutes earlier.

You posted right after I clicked "reply" and right before I found the name of the sight from SSD.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:59:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scarnar] [#19]
Damn, finally a decent price on those stocks.

I may get a couple of them.

ETA: They have them in muti cam too. Not clone specific but
cool anyways.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about accessories from a clone building standpoint- remember, some of these lowers that these Block 2 uppers are going on have been in circulation since 1995.  

In the meantime end-users have been collecting up whatever accessories they've wanted.  

If you're like DocBach, and want to build a "type-specimen" or "as-issued" configuration there's obviously some things that are common elements.  

Another thing to think about is what unit you're "representing" if that's what you're going for.  

Consider that a unit like 75th INF has a lot more E3s and E4s- meaning they're younger, so they haven't accumulated as mush "stuff" for their personal rifles, and there's also a significant pay difference going on there, meaning they're probably not affording their own S&B Short Dots or what have you, and a "basic representation" of a RR Block 2 M4A1 might pretty much be restricted to items issued with the SOPMOD Block 2 and Block 1 Phased Replacement kits.  As they get older and gain more experience / more tours, their configurations will evolve based on what's available.  

On the other hand, Army SF will be all E6 and above, probably older in general, and a lot of guys that originally came from conventional units, and as they've been seeing service they've picked up bits and pieces along the way, so they might use older accessories in conjunction with the newest issued stuff.  

Another thing to consider is the differences in unit "culture," for example NSW is a much smaller component compared to USASOC, so their budgets and funding is relatively "free-er" compared to Army units- NSW is more likely to be able to swing a unit purchase of a specialty item, meaning that an entire platoon might have the same piece of "non-standard" gear compared to what might be seen in an Army unit.  

As for the Surefire suppressors and SU-231A/PEQ I'd say it'll be a while before we start seeing them filter down as issue items, as the contracts are relatively new, they'll pop up soon, but there will still be a lot of "legacy" equipment out there- note most M4A1s we see even now are still using the KAC M4 RAS, though most of the CQBRs seem to have been converted to the Block 2 RIS.  

~Augee

75th generally gets treated better as far as money for equipment goes, compared to normal "white side"SF.

Also remember that are a little bit more strict on SOPs when it comes to equipment. They have gotten more relaxed since GWOT, but still.

NAVSOF gets more money as well.

White side SF generally has to wait for stuff to come down in the system; Either through big Army, or a system wide issue by SOCOM. Even then, they are the last ones to get it.

The demographics of SF has changed. Its no longer the 30 year old E6 with 4-5 years of infantry experience prior to going to selection. Allot of them are immature 18x. As a result, allot of the "big boy rules" that were around before are going away.

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Stottman:

~Augee

75th generally gets treated better as far as money for equipment goes, compared to normal "white side"SF.

Also remember that are a little bit more strict on SOPs when it comes to equipment. They have gotten more relaxed since GWOT, but still.

NAVSOF gets more money as well.

White side SF generally has to wait for stuff to come down in the system; Either through big Army, or a system wide issue by SOCOM. Even then, they are the last ones to get it.

The demographics of SF has changed. Its no longer the 30 year old E6 with 4-5 years of infantry experience prior to going to selection. Allot of them are immature 18x. As a result, allot of the "big boy rules" that were around before are going away.

You're correct on all that, and I agree.

What I was talking about was not unit budgets, but the pay of the individual end-users.  Even the 18x's are E6s before being posted to an ODA, and therefore make more money, and by extension, have more money for personally purchased equipment, than a 75th INF E4.    

And NSW does get a heinous amount of money.  Not only that, but they get extra hardship pay from the Navy for poor food quality when downrange.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#22]
The stoks are crap. The contract b5 stocks have been on the EE for months and they are all an improper fit for mil spec tubes. They are tight as shit to where people need to mod them just to use them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:
The stoks are crap. The contract b5 stocks have been on the EE for months and they are all an improper fit for mil spec tubes. They are tight as shit to where people need to mod them just to use them.

In the comments of the link I posted above, representatives of the company said that was from an old, faulty run. These newer ones are better, apparently. If this is the case, I'm definitely getting one for mine, instead of the expensive LMT.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#24]

In the comments of the link I posted above, representatives of the company said that was from an old, faulty run. These newer ones are better, apparently. If this is the case, I'm definitely getting one for mine, instead of the expensive LMT.

So who wants to be the test dummy for $120
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Still have no idea where my cameras are. Here is the rifle though. Really like the sights( not the price though). I will be using a AAC SPR/M4 flashhider soon though

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#26]

I bought two of the "improper ones" ten minutes spent with each and the both slid smoothly. Pretty good deal. Again, off subject.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm going to see if I can get a smaple as a potential dealer. No BS, if the stock is good, we will sell them. If it isn't I'll send it right back.

You sure you won't need a second opinion on the T&E, Neil?  From an "independant" third party?  I can compare it to my LMT and Crane stocks.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Ugghhh I wana play but noooooooooooo  

#1 wrong upper
#2 Buyer for upper aint reponding to e-mail's after trying to lowball me in my own ad ( the nerve )

So far all Ive amased are

#1 spike's zombie lower
#2 DD lpk
#3 RIS ii
#4 1 chem light ( I wanna be like Rutah )

(Grumble's off)

Nice rifle Cajun
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#30]
How do you guys like the EoTech 3x magnifier? Right now I'm using a T1 and a test mount magnifier on two of my rifles. Since I rarely need the magnification, it works really well for me. I've been thinking about an EXPS-3 and a magnifier for maybe my mk18 or the 14.5" block 2 I have coming, but I've heard the EoTech 3x doesn't compare very well to the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I have no experience with the aimpoint 3x but i LOVE the eotech 3x. I try not to use it at 100 and under, but it's just so damn awesome. I can only shoot out to 300yards so its perfect for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I tried an Aimpoint 3x with my EXPS 2-0 before I sold it to pick up a EXPS 3-0. It produces a nice image of the EO reticle and I could see how it would be very useful.

I haven't tried the EO 3x, but I would choose an Aimpoint any day of the week simply for the LaRue FTS mount. My understanding is that the ARMS/Samson mount on the EOs flop around when flipped to the side and may flip a little too far down (apparently this can cause issues with ejection). The LaRue mount (I had the older LT-649) is rock solid when folded or up and is insanely intuitive to use; the design is pure genius. If LaRue made a similar mount for the EO 3x, I would be interested in giving it a shot; I prefer the look of EO magnifiers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#34]
So where is the best place to get sights? What are the part numbers?
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By cmcflex:
I tried an Aimpoint 3x with my EXPS 2-0 before I sold it to pick up a EXPS 3-0. It produces a nice image of the EO reticle and I could see how it would be very useful.

I haven't tried the EO 3x, but I would choose an Aimpoint any day of the week simply for the LaRue FTS mount. My understanding is that the ARMS/Samson mount on the EOs flop around when flipped to the side and may flip a little too far down (apparently this can cause issues with ejection). The LaRue mount (I had the older LT-649) is rock solid when folded or up and is insanely intuitive to use; the design is pure genius. If LaRue made a similar mount for the EO 3x, I would be interested in giving it a shot; I prefer the look of EO magnifiers.

Right now I'm using the T1 and Aimpoint 3X. I use a twist mount, but the LaRue flip-to-side is really nice and I like it better than the Samson type mounts. I know the limitations of using a magnified red dot compared to a magnified optic, but on a rifle that 75% or more is close range, I think it's great to have the option. It's come in handy a few times for me. Obviously, I'd rather have an Elcan or ACOG if I'm doing a lot of mid range shooting, and I have an ACOG and variable optics on other rifles, but I really like the 3x set up, especially out to 300 yards or so, which seems to be the sweet spot as POI will be somewhere in the 4 MOA dot of the T1.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Gotta watch that ebay! I got mine from a pawn shop and the auction ended at like $110.

I didn't get this one off ebay, but I have gotten a number of good buys off ebay. I guess most gun owners don't think of ebay as a place to get stuff. Works for me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 1:55:04 AM EDT
[#37]

I didn't get this one off ebay, but I have gotten a number of good buys off ebay. I guess most gun owners don't think of ebay as a place to get stuff. Works for me.

Arent you worried about legitimacy?

I heard EBay's policy makes gun part problems a tough thing to report of defrauded
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Friendly_Crusader:

Arent you worried about legitimacy?

I heard EBay's policy makes gun part problems a tough thing to report of defrauded

If the auction is misstated or doesn't describe the exact product you received they will refund your money no matter what.

You still need to be a smart shopper and know what your buying and who your buying it from.

As a rule of thumb I never buy from overseas, from airsoft dealers, sketchy photos, etc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#39]
And be wary of military issue items. I got a Grip Pod off there that turned out to be stolen USG property. I had to give it back without refund.

It's always smart on serialized items (e.g., Aimpoints, ACOGs) to verify serial numbers before bidding.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#40]
And be wary of military issue items. I got a Grip Pod off there that turned out to be stolen USG property. I had to give it back without refund.

It's always smart on serialized items (e.g., Aimpoints, ACOGs) to verify serial numbers before bidding.

Wow, I'm surprised they went through the trouble to track down a Grippod considering the way they hand those out - the last time I was issued one, tracking consisted of putting a check next to my name that I had received one, and they never asked for it back.  

I wonder what the rest of that story was?  The guy was probably stealing a lot of stuff out of supply rooms, including Grippods by the box and they tracked his eBay sales.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#41]

Wow, I'm surprised they went through the trouble to track down a Grippod considering the way they hand those out - the last time I was issued one, tracking consisted of putting a check next to my name that I had received one, and they never asked for it back.  

I wonder what the rest of that story was?  The guy was probably stealing a lot of stuff out of supply rooms, including Grippods by the box and they tracked his eBay sales.  

~Augee

I was told by the NCIS agent that it was a Marine Cpt. out of a large Marine base in N.C. (it should be easy to identify which one it is) who was the "ring leader" and he had four other soldiers in on it. I was told that I was one of "literally hundreds" that bought stuff from these guys on eBay. So, you pretty much nailed it. Luckily, I am out only $50 which is hardly worth the trouble of dealing with a federal investigation (which I avoided by being cooperative––they were pretty easy to deal with actually).

In an unrelated case, the same NCIS agent told me that they tracked down two thermal imagers (worth about $29K) at a pawn shop in GA that a soldier at some base in Albany, GA (I think) pawned off for $50 each.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 11:41:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DM1975] [#44]

~Augee

I was told by the NCIS agent that it was a Marine Cpt. out of a large Marine base in N.C. (it should be easy to identify which one it is) who was the "ring leader" and he had four other soldiers in on it. I was told that I was one of "literally hundreds" that bought stuff from these guys on eBay. So, you pretty much nailed it. Luckily, I am out only $50 which is hardly worth the trouble of dealing with a federal investigation (which I avoided by being cooperative––they were pretty easy to deal with actually).

In an unrelated case, the same NCIS agent told me that they tracked down two thermal imagers (worth about $29K) at a pawn shop in GA that a soldier at some base in Albany, GA (I think) pawned off for $50 each.

Jesus Christ dude, how the hell does someone walk off with thermal sights? I remember someone "lost" a PVS-14 once and we were locked down for two days before someone "found it" in the bushes. We had to do hands across post over and over again, bustin brush and walking across every inch of ground. It just floors me when I hear of stuff like this. If we would have ever found out who tried to swipe those 14's we would have kicked the shit out of, I mean "counceled them" for it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm happy to report that they are sending me a sample stock. I'll let you guys know what I we think. The company rep was very responsive and talked to me about what I had read. Anyway I look forward to getting the stock. I think it's already in the mail. If we like it, I'll buy it and sell them, if not, I'll say why and return it.

RE: Magnifiers. I have MANY Aimpoints and a couple EoTech's, I have one Aimpoint magnifier. I don't really like it, but I wont get rid of it. It adds ability to my red dots that I otherwise would not have. what I don't like is the clarity of the image when compared to other dedicated magnified optics, as well as the reticles. dedicated magnified optics have much more useful reticles which can be used to estimate range, bullet drop etc. The dot sights with the magnifiers don't tend to offer these abilities.

Still, I wont sell my magnifier and use it on occasion.

I'm looking for one of the B5 stocks on the EE as I have a lot of buying/selling/trading going on there right now.  I eagerly await your review.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 12:02:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the-answer-is-42] [#46]
I need some new pics...

Old rifle pic:

New plate carrier pic (like my patch Neil? )  

Link Posted: 10/6/2011 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#48]
so does anyone know where to get the appropriate sights?
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By lowonair:

the taupe kac folding sight? i got one from operation parts for my mk18 a while back. they get them in from time to time
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By avex:
Originally Posted By lowonair:

the taupe kac folding sight? i got one from operation parts for my mk18 a while back. they get them in from time to time

i'll need front and rear. i'll check them out. never ordered from them before.
Page / 913
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top