BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 908
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Mb121:
Crap can't decide what I want to do now, have the M4 barrel, upper, and charging handle.  BCG is in route.  But now I can't decide whether I want the RIS II or the FSP model with a SF FH556-212A or AAC 51T FH to perm. attach. All ready have one upper with a RIS II with 16" mid-length, but want another as a primary with the older one being back up.  Too many choices and I can't decide.

The FSP version is nice, but if starting from scratch I would go with the non fsp version of the rail. Allows more mounting options, and you can always add a fixed front site if you still desire that.

Muzzle device I would go with what you see your self running a can with in the future. I'm not a fan of the ping left by most open end devices so I went with surefire.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 2:44:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: airborne_trooper] [#2]
added irons!

I think page 100 should only be pics only!!! So if everyone can repost your builds on page 100 please!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree!
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By thebomber:
The reason I asked about the sling mount is I prefer a two point sling and frankly speaking I'm pretty confortable with my Vtac sling. On my CQBR, I'm using the Sopmod QD mount and a QD Gear Sector mount on the rail.

I wanted to see if there where any other options I might try with my Blk II. I may just go with the DD in the front and the Sopmod in the rear.

IMHO, if your sling setup already works for you - other than maybe giving a receiver mount a try if you haven't already, I wouldn't really bother changing it.

While there are a lot of people who think a sling is just a carry strap, I tend to think the sling / user interface is one of the most important elements of the whole rifle, and of all the things I vary on my rifles, I think I vary the sling setups the least of all, regardless of configuration.  

I have a padded VTAC that I've yet to even install yet, and the only other sling setups my rifles have other than the GS-2P setup I've been using since 2007 are for "clones" of period weapons.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Augee:
The reason I asked about the sling mount is I prefer a two point sling and frankly speaking I'm pretty confortable with my Vtac sling. On my CQBR, I'm using the Sopmod QD mount and a QD Gear Sector mount on the rail.

I wanted to see if there where any other options I might try with my Blk II. I may just go with the DD in the front and the Sopmod in the rear.

IMHO, if your sling setup already works for you - other than maybe giving a receiver mount a try if you haven't already, I wouldn't really bother changing it.

While there are a lot of people who think a sling is just a carry strap, I tend to think the sling / user interface is one of the most important elements of the whole rifle, and of all the things I vary on my rifles, I think I vary the sling setups the least of all, regardless of configuration.  

I have a padded VTAC that I've yet to even install yet, and the only other sling setups my rifles have other than the GS-2P setup I've been using since 2007 are for "clones" of period weapons.  

~Augee

I agree. On my CQBR, I was running a Savvy Sniper Sling since it easily converts from 2 point to SP with the use of my Noveske End Plate. After giving it a long T&E, I decided I liked the Vtac better. I was trying to see if there was a more appropriate rail mount than a Gear Sector mount for my M4 clone.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 10:05:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#6]

~Augee

I agree. On my CQBR, I was running a Savvy Sniper Sling since it easily converts from 2 point to SP with the use of my Noveske End Plate. After giving it a long T&E, I decided I liked the Vtac better. I was trying to see if there was a more appropriate rail mount than a Gear Sector mount for my M4 clone.

Got it!  

In that case, I know the KAC, DD, and Troy QD swivels have been unit purchased and issued at any given time and have seen them in use.  And NSW liked the CQD HK hook mount for a long time.

A lot of guys used KAC swivel stud mounts with Uncle Mike's "style" QD sling loops before the heavy duty push button QD was popular.  

End user sling setups are actually really interesting, a lot of variation - everything from VTACs and VCASs, to homemade straps, HK MP5 3PT slings, ect.

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Like Augee said, the Dieter CQD is the 'appropriate' mount––at least on the CQBR.  I would assume that the same goes for the 14.5, but I don't think I've ever seen that confirmed.  There seem to be so many different mounts floating around out there, that I think it is probably the least important piece of the "clone" puzzle.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 11:04:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#8]
Originally Posted By Seaslug:
Like Augee said, the Dieter CQD is the 'appropriate' mount––at least on the CQBR.  I would assume that the same goes for the 14.5, but I don't think I've ever seen that confirmed.  There seem to be so many different mounts floating around out there, that I think it is probably the least important piece of the "clone" puzzle.

Near as I can tell, NSW's "love affair" with the HK hook interface stems from their heavy use of the MP5 prior to switching to M4 type CQB weapons.  Consequently, not only did they have lots of MP5 slings, but the end-users were used to them - many still use modified MP5 slings to this day:

While the receiver end plate mounts seem more common, the front mount seems to be almost exclusively used by NSW.  

Also, the Dieter CQD 1-2PT was one of the earliest examples of such sling setups - in use while the rest of us were tieing 550 cord to stocks and FSBs, and dealing with the "octopus rape" of 3 PT slings.  
KAC swivel mounts have been popular almost since the beginning in USASOC, and QD swivels are more and more common - with DD being most popular from what I've seen.    

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I never was a fan of the springy type slings until getting the CQD sling points and sling itself.  While not easily adjustable, the springyness makes up for it.  Its my new favorite setup.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Just need the M3X then I feel I'm done. Had irons, sold them. Will have irons on block II build 2
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Seaslug:

Near as I can tell, NSW's "love affair" with the HK hook interface stems from their heavy use of the MP5 prior to switching to M4 type CQB weapons.  Consequently, not only did they have lots of MP5 slings, but the end-users were used to them - many still use modified MP5 slings to this day:

http://file.si/pfiles/18273/dscn1662h.jpg

While the receiver end plate mounts seem more common, the front mount seems to be almost exclusively used by NSW.  

Also, the Dieter CQD 1-2PT was one of the earliest examples of such sling setups - in use while the rest of us were tieing 550 cord to stocks and FSBs, and dealing with the "octopus rape" of 3 PT slings.  
KAC swivel mounts have been popular almost since the beginning in USASOC, and QD swivels are more and more common - with DD being most popular from what I've seen.    

~Augee

Its not just MP5 slings.

I have a modern, commercial 2 point tan sling that I ":acquired" from NSW.

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 8:10:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#12]
I can't believe this shit I am going through right now. I took my upper to a gunsmith to get the flash hider permanently attached and while that's being done to get the barrel swapped out to the SOCOM barrel. Well I can tell you they fucked up my bottom rail on the RIS II as well as dig the shit into my brand new Colt.

Thank god they didn't have any shims so they couldn't attach the flash hider.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By patriot_man:

I can't believe this shit I am going through right now. I took my upper to a gunsmith to get the flash hider permanently attached and while that's being done to get the barrel swapped out to the SOCOM barrel. Well I can tell you they fucked up my bottom rail on the RIS II as well as dig the shit into my brand new Colt.

Thank god they didn't have any shims so they couldn't attach the flash hider.

Sounds to me like you get a new upper.

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 8:17:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#14]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

It sure as hell seemed like that to me too but the guy working on the gun was saying he used a carry handle to line up the rail and that's why the mark was there.... A carry handle? The bolt up system doesn't even need to be aligned properly as long as the collar is in correctly.

He also screwed in the bottom screws with the bottom rail still attached. WTF
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Stottman:

Its not just MP5 slings.

I have a modern, commercial 2 point tan sling that I ":acquired" from NSW.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that MP5 slings were all they used - I was just speculating on the reasons for the popularity of the HK hook interface for many of the sling systems and positing that it had to do with the fact that NSW replaced many of their MP5s with M4A1s, but we used to and liked the MP5 slings.

Many different types of slings have been used.  The photo was just an example of an MP5 sling still in use [relatively] recently.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#16]

It sure as hell seemed like that to me too but the guy working on the gun was saying he used a carry handle to line up the rail and that's why the mark was there.... A carry handle? The bolt up system doesn't even need to be aligned properly as long as the collar is in correctly.

Wow... I do use a carry handle to line up my RIS II installs, but they've never left any sort of mark.  

I'm trying to figure out *how* you could even fuck up a RIS II install that bad...

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 8:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#17]

Dude don't let them fuck you on this deal!  They messed your shit up.

It
sure as hell seemed like that to me too but the guy working on the gun
was saying he used a carry handle to line up the rail and that's why the
mark was there.... A carry handle? The bolt up system doesn't even need
to be aligned properly as long as the collar is in correctly.

Wow... I do use a carry handle to line up my RIS II installs, but they've never left any sort of mark.  

I'm trying to figure out *how* you could even fuck up a RIS II install that bad...

~Augee

+1, Augee's right.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 8:57:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#18]
I left them my number and they said they will get back to me on a replacement lower rail as well as a new Colt upper. I sure hope so... I was so excited to shoot the upper this weekend.

Does anyone know how much a replacement lower rail is. I would rather get money and buy it myself rather than dealing with these clown.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#19]
DD quoted me $250 for a replacement top rail only when I considered that - so I imagine something along those lines?  Probably a wee bit less.

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#20]

I left them my number and they said they will get back to me on a replacement lower rail as well as a new Colt upper. I sure hope so... I was so excited to shoot the upper this weekend.

Does anyone know how much a replacement lower rail is. I would rather get money and buy it myself rather than dealing with these clown.

Not sure how much the lower rail costs but it's gotta be close to $200 I'd figure.  This is why I do ALL my own builds; you should too. It's satisfying as hell and not all that difficult.

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks guys. I left a message at Daniel Defense and I'm sure they'll call me back tomorrow.

Arggggg I should've done it but my Daniel Defense tool is on loan as is my upper vice. We'll see how this plays out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Thanks guys. I left a message at Daniel Defense and I'm sure they'll call me back tomorrow.

Arggggg I should've done it but my Daniel Defense tool is on loan as is my upper vice. We'll see how this plays out.

Hope it works out, bud.

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:16:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seaslug] [#23]
FWIW, I had the exact same experience with my smith marring the bottom rail when I had my Mk18 Cerakoted.  My bottom rail was $90 shipped, so yours shouldn't be much more.  I can't remember the original quote, but the DD rep DID work with me when I haggled.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Only a question and not a hijack. Where are you guys finding the lowest price on the RIS ?
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By nomad221:
Only a question and not a hijack. Where are you guys finding the lowest price on the RIS ?

Use code DMM at brownells for $20 off
Link Posted: 1/12/2012 9:53:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmcflex] [#26]
That sucks about the rail. It takes a little extra time, but the peeps at ADCO wouldn't have made that mistake. Just saying.

ETA: inadvertent page pwnage and evidence of ADCO's work. Let p. 100 begin!

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#27]
My shitty rifle

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 10:08:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 10:09:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#30]
ETA: I just had a photo shoot.  I love these rifles!

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Most recent and final configuration:

TLR-1s light, not correct but what I'm running for now:

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 10:55:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheQuadfather] [#33]
I know...  Everything mounted ain't even close....  

This is how I run it and it works for me.  I just swapped my M4s for a T-1, seems awesome so far.

This is the LE6920HB I got from new_ak_fan.   Excellent shooter, I've won 1st overall at two carbine matches with it (worked my ass off) and it's been through a two day RB-1 class and almost 3K rounds with nary a bobble.   I even cleaned it.  Once.

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 11:26:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ragincajun1919] [#35]

Link Posted: 1/12/2012 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Are Doctors on the Elcan user bought or unit purchases? Also, I notices they make an FDE model, are these ever seen on Spectres by end users?
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 2:00:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Sweet good looking rifles!!!!!!!! There is a ton cash money in and on those rifles

In the middle of moving I have to get some upated photos later!!!!!!!

Keep them rolling!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 9:06:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#39]
Originally Posted By Tmender03:
Are Doctors on the Elcan user bought or unit purchases? Also, I notices they make an FDE model, are these ever seen on Spectres by end users?

While there may be some end-users who purchase their own MRDs and mounting kits, most of them are unit purchased.  The DocOptic was the SOCOM MRD before they adopted the Insight MRDS (which I've yet to see "in the wild').  I have also yet to see an FDE model in use on a military rifle.  

Gah, page 100 and the pic page and bandwidth exceeded!  

Okay - upgraded to PRO.  Fucking vampires.  

M4A1 SOPMOD Kit:

In other news, I grabbed an AFG off the EE just to give it a try - it's really comfortable for the "3-gun grip"...  which I can't stand.  It puts none of the controls where I want them.  

Has a handstop / support grip, far far less impressive.  

Probably won't stick around for long, but it's on my Block 2 M4A1, maybe I'll snap a picture or two before I unload it again.  

I kind of suspected that this would happen, but I figured it's important to give things a try.  Will probably at least try to take it to the range.  Who knows, maybe it'll change my life and rock my world.

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 1:10:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: osha] [#40]
ETA: The two front screws on the inside of my RIS II are loose so the metal pieces they secure are rattling... is this a problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Got a Gear Sector Scout Mount, TD VFG, and Magpul MIAD. These three things have significantly improved the feel of the rifle for me.

The MIAD actually fills my hand, unlike the A2, MOE, BG17, etc.

The Gear Sector mount is very nice, and put the light switch exactly where I want it with very minor barrel shadow, unfortunately I can't put it further forward because the screw on the KAC BUIS extends out a tiny bit too far... they should have put the screw on the other side, probably.

The TD VFG is way thicker than the KAC, and with the added ribs, it complements my hand and grip excellently. It was a bitch to get it on there, though. My fingers are sore from those damned buttons.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:
My shitty rifle

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/dillsmod/IMG_0187.jpg

You should sell me your shitty front sight.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By nf9648:
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:
My shitty rifle

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/dillsmod/IMG_0187.jpg

You should sell me your shitty front sight.

Neva
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By osha:
ETA: The two front screws on the inside of my RIS II are loose so the metal pieces they secure are rattling... is this a problem? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Tighten them?  If they need to be tightened from the inside, you might need to cut an L allen key down to fit between the inside of the rail and the barrel
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Will816:

Tighten them?  If they need to be tightened from the inside, you might need to cut an L allen key down to fit between the inside of the rail and the barrel

They're almost touching the barrel... I don't know how I could possibly fit an allen wrench in there. I remember reading one of Postal0311's posts, and it said that these screws can't be tightened without complete dis-assembly, which I really don't want to do. Really just wondering it the rattling will cause any problems.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Nothing new since I last posted it, but here's some new pictures in commemoration of this thread getting to pg 100

Closeup of Marvin Pitts's (looks weird but according to my English professor MLA standard adds 's to denote possession even when someone's name ends in S now) work along with the KAC flip up sight and SU-233.

PROPER location for the Mk 12 gas block!

night fighting gear

What makes it legal for me to own here in California - bullet button magazine lock and a blocked-off to 10 round magazine

a whole lot of expensive shit
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/IMG_20120113_105832.jpg
Nothing new since I last posted it, but here's some new pictures in commemoration of this thread getting to pg 100

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/IMG_20120113_105843.jpg

Closeup of Marvin Pitts's (looks weird but according to my English professor MLA standard adds 's to denote possession even when someone's name ends in S now) work along with the KAC flip up sight and SU-233.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/IMG_20120113_105852.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/IMG_20120113_105913.jpg

night fighting gear

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/IMG_20120113_110002.jpg

What makes it legal for me to own here in California - bullet button magazine lock and a blocked-off to 10 round magazine

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/IMG_20120113_110051.jpg

Why the night fighting gear?  California penal code has issues with the type of night vision device you'd need to utilize that gear
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 2:25:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#47]

They're almost touching the barrel... I don't know how I could possibly fit an allen wrench in there. I remember reading one of Postal0311's posts, and it said that these screws can't be tightened without complete dis-assembly, which I really don't want to do. Really just wondering it the rattling will cause any problems.

Really?  Four Page 100 posts with no pics?  

You need to remove the top rail if you want to tighten the M203 hangers.  As far as hurting anything?  Doubtful, might leave some very very light marks.  

Or you can drop the bottom rail and just tape 'em down if the rattling really bothers you.    

Photo dump of M4A1 SOPMOD Block 1 PR (Phased Replacement) and Block 2s for you slackasses!  

More to follow....

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 2:31:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the-answer-is-42] [#48]

I took off my m203 attachments and bolts. Was useless.

ETA and I did it with the rail attached. Use an Allen key from the inside.
Link Posted: 1/13/2012 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#49]

night fighting gear

Why the night fighting gear?  California penal code has issues with the type of night vision device you'd need to utilize that gear

If I mount a NOD to my gun I'm in trouble to hunt - but if I wear it on my head to shoot at the range, I'm fine.

Link Posted: 1/13/2012 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#50]

night fighting gear

If I mount a NOD to my gun I'm in trouble to hunt - but if I wear it on my head to shoot at the range, I'm fine.

Interesting...  I always thought something like a PVS-14 was illegal because it COULD be attached to your weapon.
Page / 908
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top