Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 911
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By prskiller:

Exps on the non FSP and the 553 on FSP looks right to me.  Try it and post up some pics
View Quote

Gotta get my FSP upper built first and then I will do that. I've got a ton of time off around Christmas and I've got about 3-4 uppers to build
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Exps on the non FSP and the 553 on FSP looks right to me.  Try it and post up some pics
View Quote

Gotta get my FSP upper built first and then I will do that. I've got a ton of time off around Christmas and I've got about 3-4 uppers to build
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread still has glitches
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess this new format couldn't fix and change this Block II glitch.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I would like to see some pics of shaved FSP with RIS II's also, the FSP model, that is. I have a Colt upper with a RIS II FSP on it and I want to do away with the FSP. I would like a regular RIS II, but that's not going to happen. Sorry in advance for the derail.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I was wondering if it was going to fix it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:19:42 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

We're lucky there's not 4 of them now.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:11:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:

Sorry I missed this the first time through.

One of the big differences between the military and civilian shooters is that the military typically operates in a team:  I don't need any magnification because it's someone else's job to provide the long(er) range fires...if any.

In reality, "the long shot" is not that common:  RoE and such.  Maybe in the next conflict(s).

Short dots are seen here and there; I say OK.
View Quote

Hmm,...okay. I guess then real question is; why do you carry 14.5 inches worth of barrel if your not going to be making the long shots? Why not carry a CQBR at that point?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JohnnySasaki20:

Hmm,...okay. I guess then real question is; why do you carry 14.5 inches worth of barrel if your not going to be making the long shots? Why not carry a CQBR at that point?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnnySasaki20:

Sorry I missed this the first time through.

One of the big differences between the military and civilian shooters is that the military typically operates in a team:  I don't need any magnification because it's someone else's job to provide the long(er) range fires...if any.

In reality, "the long shot" is not that common:  RoE and such.  Maybe in the next conflict(s).

Short dots are seen here and there; I say OK.

I've posted this before, but most mil guys are not gun guys (and I'm not talking the general purpose side where almost no one is a gun guy); a lot of them don't even give the barrel length or the optic a second thought:  it has what it came with and that's good enough.  In other words, far from overthinking a barrel or optic choice, they don't think about it at all.

You know why I'm currently carrying my 14.5 versus CQBR?  Because there's a slot in our vehicles where the 14.5 fits and sort of locks in against an air vent...whereas the CQBR will not.  How's that for a really technical/tactical reason for choosing 14.5 over 10.3?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#11]

I've posted this before, but most mil guys are not gun guys (and I'm not talking the general purpose side where almost no one is a gun guy); a lot of them don't even give the barrel length or the optic a second thought:  it has what it came with and that's good enough.  In other words, far from overthinking a barrel or optic choice, they don't think about it at all.

You know why I'm currently carrying my 14.5 versus CQBR?  Because there's a slot in our vehicles where the 14.5 fits and sort of locks in against an air vent...whereas the CQBR will not.  How's that for a really technical/tactical reason for choosing 14.5 over 10.3?
View Quote

Civilians will never understand that kind of thinking. When they just take their rifles out for internet pics and quick trips to the range, that's the only, limited frame of reference they'll ever have.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Doesn't it kind of depend on where you are and what you are doing?  Last time I got some input from Steve-Oh, it sounded like some dudes with him were making some pretty long shots with their M4s with ACOG's (Along with other long range guns).  But I think he was up in the Hills / Mountains of Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:26:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnySasaki20] [#13]

View Quote

A relatively awesome one, actually.

Are you talking about something like this?

Looks like a SCAR 17, but still.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 1:43:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SemperFortis202] [#14]
My clone game is slowly getting there, after many trades I finally have both FSP and non FSP, next is upgrading to either an Elcan on the FSP or a NF 1x4
and putting finding a NF 2.5x10x24 for the Non FSP.......oh and somehow getting the money for all that.

Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone have an idea where to source the ELCAN doctor plate mounting screws? Also where to source the Colt ambi-selector or the other brand that looks the same.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JJREA:

Doesn't it kind of depend on where you are and what you are doing?  Last time I got some input from Steve-Oh, it sounded like some dudes with him were making some pretty long shots with their M4s with ACOG's (Along with other long range guns).  But I think he was up in the Hills / Mountains of Afghanistan.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JJREA:

Yep, Steve-Oh was up the Konar in northeast Afghanistan:  almost 100% high mountains and steep, deep valleys.  The bad guys would often set up on the other side of the valley and lob rounds in; in that environment, yes, long(er) shots were taken.

Our current mission set is almost entirely urban...no long shots.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Yep, Steve-Oh was up the Konar in northeast Afghanistan:  almost 100% high mountains and steep, deep valleys.  The bad guys would often set up on the other side of the valley and lob rounds in; in that environment, yes, long(er) shots were taken.

Our current mission set is almost entirely urban...no long shots.
View Quote

Good old Kunar.

Link Posted: 12/11/2016 7:33:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: carmodyh] [#18]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

Good old Kunar.
View Quote

Out west in Farah and Bala Murgab the MARSOC guys we worked with rocked either MK18s or M4A1 Block 1.5s (as guys refer to them on the forums anyways) and the ODA teams carried the same set ups (at least in 2011). The terrain out there was sort of your typical rolling hills with valleys. One MARSOC team sergeant carried his MK18 w/ELCAN and KAC Corncob more or less as a PDW and had the MK13 .300 winmag strapped to his backpack. If he needed to take a long shot he just rocked the MK13 across the valley or told his Afghan Commandos to rock their PKMs across the valley. If that didn't work, well, his JTAC had F-16s, B-1Bs, and Apaches at his disposal...

I learned a lot of them weren't gun guys because I asked some nerdy gun guy questions and some didn't give a shit what generation M45 they had or what weapon configuration they used was. Some guys just get issued a pelican case worth of kit with different uppers and optics and gizmos and know not to lose any of it and use what works for them.

The team sergeant was a super gun dude, however, lurked on arfcom, had all of his builds and projects planned out for when he got back, and was very particular about his kit and gun and ammo etc. Sidenote he hated the SCAR-H and called it a 2 MOA piece of plastic garbage... although guys on his team rocked it in the 13 inch config...

He also hated the Barret .50 cal and offered to trade it to us for some Rip-Its...

Above everything else, all of them were just super athletes and A type guys who just liked working hard, working out, and schwacking bad guys...

FOB Todd w/ MARSOC and their cool guy stuff (although I guess this photo belongs in the .mil sniper rifle clone thread)

Attachment Attached File

and lovely RC-West circa 2011

Attachment Attached File

and to stay on topic... my favorite block 2 from those Level Zero Hero guys on MARSOC Team 8222... and a JDAM being dropped in Bala Murgab

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 8:52:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthGuy] [#19]
Originally Posted By carmodyh:

Out west in Farah and Bala Murgab the MARSOC guys we worked with rocked either MK18s or M4A1 Block 1.5s (as guys refer to them on the forums anyways) and the ODA teams carried the same set ups (at least in 2011). The terrain out there was sort of your typical rolling hills with valleys. One MARSOC team sergeant carried his MK18 w/ELCAN and KAC Corncob more or less as a PDW and had the MK13 .300 winmag strapped to his backpack. If he needed to take a long shot he just rocked the MK13 across the valley or told his Afghan Commandos to rock their PKMs across the valley. If that didn't work, well, his JTAC had F-16s, B-1Bs, and Apaches at his disposal...

I learned a lot of them weren't gun guys because I asked some nerdy gun guy questions and some didn't give a shit what generation M45 they had or what weapon configuration they used was. Some guys just get issued a pelican case worth of kit with different uppers and optics and gizmos and know not to lose any of it and use what works for them.

The team sergeant was a super gun dude, however, lurked on arfcom, had all of his builds and projects planned out for when he got back, and was very particular about his kit and gun and ammo etc. Sidenote he hated the SCAR-H and called it a 2 MOA piece of plastic garbage... although guys on his team rocked it in the 13 inch config...

He also hated the Barret .50 cal and offered to trade it to us for some Rip-Its...

Above everything else, all of them were just super athletes and A type guys who just liked working hard, working out, and schwacking bad guys...

FOB Todd w/ MARSOC and their cool guy stuff (although I guess this photo belongs in the .mil sniper rifle clone thread)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/365058/IMG-1695---Copy-105443.JPG

and lovely RC-West circa 2011

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/365058/DSC01176-105451.JPG

and to stay on topic... my favorite block 2 from those Level Zero Hero guys on MARSOC Team 8222... and a JDAM being dropped in Bala Murgab

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/365058/marsoc-sopmod-block-ii-105460.JPG
View Quote

I wasn't really into rifles and long guns at all until I went over there and saw the ODAs at the FOB and COP I spent the most time at walking around with their CQBRs. I wish I had the pics of the CQBR I got to shoot when they were out confirming the zeroes on their sniper rifles. That's when I started lurking in the old MK18 thread.

I took that other picture from Nagalam Base(formerly known as FOB Blessing) which is on the far left, out in the distance of this pic I took. OP Avalanche is above it. Pretty sure Nagalam is where the old Pashtun guy delivered the message from Marcus Luttrell back in 06 during that Red Wings shitshow. This was five years later in 2011.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome pictures.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:
Awesome pictures.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Curious if anyone can tell me what a FN 16" socom profile barrel assembly is worth? Google turned up Nada..
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:32:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I wasn't really into rifles and long guns at all until I went over there and saw the ODAs at the FOB and COP I spent the most time at walking around with their CQBRs. I wish I had the pics of the CQBR I got to shoot when they were out confirming the zeroes on their sniper rifles. That's when I started lurking in the old MK18 thread.

I took that other picture from Nagalam Base(formerly known as FOB Blessing) which is on the far left, out in the distance of this pic I took. OP Avalanche is above it. Pretty sure Nagalam is where the old Pashtun guy delivered the message from Marcus Luttrell back in 06 during that Red Wings shitshow. This was five years later in 2011.
View Quote

I used to hate Blessing (one of the worst FOB placements in history):  base of the confluence of two rivers/canyons with high ground on all sides.  My favorite were the "balconies" which had overwatch of the FOB.

What was the name of the FOB further up the Pesh - Bella IIRC?  It was closed by 2008, the process of which led to the battle at Wanat.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:21:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparky-kb] [#24]

I used to hate Blessing (one of the worst FOB placements in history):  base of the confluence of two rivers/canyons with high ground on all sides.  My favorite were the "balconies" which had overwatch of the FOB.

What was the name of the FOB further up the Pesh - Bella IIRC?  It was closed by 2008, the process of which led to the battle at Wanat.
View All Quotes

Pech went East/West.  Waygul went North from Blessing.  

Bella and "Ranch House" were the two outposts North of Blessing.  Ranch House was furthest North, only accessible by helo or foot.  It was above the village of Aranas.  The LZ was the roof of a house with just enough mountain carved out behind it to clear a Blackhawk rotor.  We built both of those outposts from the ground up in 06.

Ranch House got overrun summer of 07 right after we left.  It was abandoned and then Bella was closed shortly thereafter.  They decided to move back to Wanat so it was closer to Blessing and that's when they got slammed.

Me up on the OP above Bella.

Good old Kunar.

Here's a shot from way up that ridgeline that heads straight up from Nangalam in your picture.  Shitty walk....

Sorry for the hijack with no Block II pics.

ETA:  My "Block II ish" carbine since it's a pic thread.  Not super correct though.

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Every time I come into this thread it makes me want to spend more money.Some nice stuff floating around
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Got the RIS and colt upper all together. Wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Still missing a lot of parts. Looking for a rear sight and charging handle next. Is the PRI gasbuster the way to go? Or the standard colt?

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Cummins_Powered:
Got the RIS and colt upper all together. Wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Still missing a lot of parts. Looking for a rear sight and charging handle next. Is the PRI gasbuster the way to go? Or the standard colt?

http://i.imgur.com/dLC8as2h.jpg
View Quote

You're looking at a Matech rear, possibly a 300m (not micro). Standard charging handle or PRI, whatever you want. Many others have been seen in the wild.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:27:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Gasbuster is okay, but not as often used anymore from the pics I've seen. Regular is fine.  I recommend the Badger Ord. Tac Latch.  I have both 1st and 2nd Gen. you can install on regular forged charging handle.  I like the smaller gen 2 Badger Latch it's as nice as my ambi BCM latch.  The Gen I was used in my Navy days on the blk 1s.  I have a pic of a blk1 I used, with all the trimmings posted in blk I topic.  I think BCMs are popular now.  I have two Colts and I like them better than non Colt milspec charging handles.  They seem to cycle smoother and have less friction.  I just did a build and used a Windham Weaponry charging handle and it was really dry feeling, I think it may have been the sizing?  My new Colt feels smoother.  But this was inside an Aero upper not Colt so apples and oranges.. Windhams parts are really high quality, used a hbar barrel and it was super accurate.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:37:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Love these. Excellent paint, very nice.  I'm trying to build courage to rattle can a new Colt M4 stock and A2 grip.. Can't decide on colors and patterns.  Going to dip in acetone, prior to spraying base color.  I like the old Colt Commando woodland color jobs, but it's old school.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Just an FYI on those that made 80% lowers then had them engraved for clone correct looks. In October I was able to send the completed lower to a reputable anodizer with a FFL 07 license to complete the process so I could finish my lower. A few days ago I was E-mailed by the anodizer telling me that during a routine inspection by the ATF, the ATF Auditor pulled mine and other lowers like mine aside for further review and asked the anodizer not to work on them until ATF made a determination. Today I was told by the anodizer that ATF picked up mine and the other lowers because the issue in question has to do with the engraving of the auto sear holes.  According to the ATF rules in question, marking the location of the sear hole can be considered a Machine Gun; ATF would send out a determination later. I don't get it since I had no intention or the parts to make a full auto, and had not drilled into the lower to install a sear. Guess I will have to call the Inspector tomorrow and find out what the problem is; I have never heard of this, nor have I ever heard that engraving makes a machine gun.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone know if the Surefire Warden fits the FH-556-RC?
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 1811:
Anyone know if the Surefire Warden fits the FH-556-RC?
View Quote

yeah it will. It will even fit the legacy flash hiders, but it will spin because it doesn't have the indexing point. Youll be good to go with a 4 prong
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Posted a TAN G33 in the EE if anyone is looking.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:32:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Core] [#34]
I got my ambi at Specialized Armament, I didn't like the stubby so I got the standard ambi.  At the time they had the ambi short model at SA, but my last visit to the site they are out.  I read somewhere Schmid Tool makes the Colt sopmod ambi selectors.  Anderson makes one that looks simlilar to the standard Colt ambi.  Can't help with the first question.

All Colt socom minus DD FDE furniture, and accessories.

Anderson: https://www.andersonrifles.com/product/ambidextrous-safety-selector-ar15/
http://www.schmidtool.com/index.html
Link to sopmod ambi: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SP400831
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Joined an airsoft forum for the sole purpose of finding an AOR1 LBT-2500bz for my block II build. Paid off after all!  And my pockets didn't get raped either.

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By GeauxSouth86:
Joined an airsoft forum for the sole purpose of finding an AOR1 LBT-2500bz for my block II build. Paid off after all!  And my pockets didn't get raped either.

http://i.imgur.com/aEsxIsq.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#37]
http://lbtinc.com/ultra-light-two-point-padded-sling-c

For under $50 it's not a bad deal and you know it's not a forgery.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Core:

View Quote

No AOR1 option listed (for those that specifically want that pattern, could just be out of stock though) but it does come with the hooks. Pretty damn good price.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:43:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GeauxSouth86] [#39]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

No AOR1 option listed (for those that specifically want that pattern, could just be out of stock though) but it does come with the hooks. Pretty damn good price.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Originally Posted By Core:

Edit* to my knowledge they (LBT) discontinued everything AOR- atleast to the public.  Same as Crye Precision and other companys.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Edit* to my knowledge they (LBT) discontinued everything AOR- atleast to the public.  Same as Crye Precision and other companys.
View Quote

Ah. I'm not really drawn to it so I have never followed it but have heard it's always been a scarce pattern.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:08:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StevieJ309] [#41]
AOR, at least to my knowledge, has never been offered to the public. That's why anything made in those patterns generally go for stupid prices.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#42]

http://i.imgur.com/aEsxIsq.jpg
View Quote

I pulled up your pic and my wife is sitting next to me and said to tell you nice bed sheet or comforter or tablecloth.  Whatever it is.  

And I can't help myself but:

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:43:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#43]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
AOR, at least to my knowledge, has never been offered to the public. That's why anything made in those patterns generally go for stupid prices.
View Quote

This is true.

I've heard AOR is being replaced.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:

This is true.

I've heard AOR is being replaced.
View Quote

Truth. Some vanilla seals still wear it but most NSW is wearing multicam now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Has the price gone up an FDE RIS IIs?

I bought one for $400 earlier this year and ended up selling it shortly thereafter,  I'm thinking about picking up another one in a few months but not if they've climbed even higher.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:
Has the price gone up an FDE RIS IIs?

I bought one for $400 earlier this year and ended up selling it shortly thereafter,  I'm thinking about picking up another one in a few months but not if they've climbed even higher.
View Quote

Just sold 2 NIW for $600 each.  A used one for $500 and a used Mk18 for $500.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By coregon:

Just sold 2 NIW for $600 each.  A used one for $500 and a used Mk18 for $500.
View Quote

I think I may just buy a DD M4A1.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

I think I may just buy a DD M4A1.
View Quote

That's the easiest way. It's certainly cheaper than trying to buy one here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#49]
How much of a pain in the ass am I looking at if I want to swap out my KAC rail for a DD RIS II FSP rail on my M4 build? I'd my muzzle brake pinned and welded to my 14.5" barrel and from what I see, that's the piece keeping from from removing the FSP, end cap, barrel nut, and delta ring so I can use the DD barrel nut and slide it all on there. Could I easily have a smith remove the brake and put it back on or does it need to be permanently removed and then a new one tossed on after I swap it all out?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Pinned muzzle devices are usually destroyed when removed.  I have seen a method where you drill a hole bigger than the pin and then use a bigger pin when reinstalling it.

But unless its an expensive md, I'd just get a new one.  Some md's don't lend themselves to that method, Surefires narrow shoulder comes to mind.
Page / 911
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top