Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 908
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JOEGUNNER:
Just gonna leave this here...

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/08/surefire-suppressor-division-awarded-nsns/#axzz5xO8yeRLr
View Quote
I would've thought they always had NSNs...
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Glitch bump

CD
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Glitch bump

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Glitch bump

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_6988_jpg-1064257.JPG

CD
View Quote
That brownie tho
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Have a RIS 2 FSP that isn’t straight. One side of the bottom rail almost runs the bayonet lug. Is the best way to correct to just retighten the screws and see if that aligns?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quick question.

Looking through the pic archives I haven't seen the Magpul STR on any clone or "in the wild". Is the STR an issued/clone correct stock?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 6:48:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Keylows] [#7]
Originally Posted By hobgob9:
Have a RIS 2 FSP that isn’t straight. One side of the bottom rail almost runs the bayonet lug. Is the best way to correct to just retighten the screws and see if that aligns?
View Quote
Do you have a detachable carry handle to use?
Use the CH to bridge the gap and slowly tighten the screws from there.
Aligns straight everytime I've done it that way.

Eta: assuming your using Colt/FN fsb barrel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Glitch bump

CD
View Quote
Is the tape on the ACOG just to cover the optical fiber, or does it do something else?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Glitch bump

CD
View Quote
What’s going on with that castle nut / end plate on the center rifle?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Do you have a detachable carry handle to use?
Use the CH to bridge the gap and slowly tighten the screws from there.
Aligns straight everytime I've done it that way.

Eta: assuming your using Colt/FN fsb barrel.
View Quote
Thanks. I don’t have a CH, longest thing I have is an ACOG mount.
It’s a mutt rifle...BA barrel, Colt FSB, and PSA upper. With rail I have about $450 in this B2 upper due to deals and friends having spare parts they didn’t need/want lol.
The rail isn’t touching the bayonet lug so I may just leave it if the ACOG mount doesn’t work.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Pretty stoked to pick up my MAWL tomorrow. Its going to replace the dbal I currently have on it.

How much of a performance increase should I expect?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
Is the tape on the ACOG just to cover the optical fiber, or does it do something else?
View Quote
Some people cover it to reduce the brightness of the reticle chevron. The combination of ambient light and tritium through the tube can be pretty bright, so the tape tones it down.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

As stated bridge the gap between rail and receiver.  This will ensure it is straight and aligned.  Use what you have on hand and then tighten down screws.  Longer T handle speeds things up over the small allen wrench.

CD
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#14]

It’s a mutt rifle...BA barrel, Colt FSB, and PSA upper. With rail I have about $450 in this B2 upper due to deals and friends having spare parts they didn’t need/want lol.
The rail isn’t touching the bayonet lug so I may just leave it if the ACOG mount doesn’t work.
View Quote
Acog mount doesn't work it's not long enough. I tried it once and had to use the CH instead.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 8:24:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#15]
Originally Posted By FONTY:
Acog mount doesn't work it's not long enough. I tried it once and had to use the CH instead.
View Quote
I bought a PRI Upper Receiver Vise Block because... who doesn’t need another tool for the work bench? But also because CD mentioned that he uses one to align handguards with uppers, so I thought it might come in handy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Also, the order that you tighten the bolts can adjust the finished alignment a little bit. For example, if the end of the rail is leaning upward, you want to tighten the bottom bolts first so the rail will hopefully come down. If the rail is still off no matter how you tighten the bolts, you can add a thin shim/washer between the rail and bolt up plate on certain bolts to change the alignment.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bigjunk1:

Also, the order that you tighten the bolts can adjust the finished alignment a little bit. For example, if the end of the rail is leaning upward, you want to tighten the bottom bolts first so the rail will hopefully come down. If the rail is still off no matter how you tighten the bolts, you can add a thin shim/washer between the rail and bolt up plate on certain bolts to change the alignment.
View Quote
Acog mount works perfectly.  Bridge the gap, tighten the acog mount down nice and tight.

Tighten in star pattern.  I have never had a rail appear off center when using this method.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

Acog mount works perfectly.  Bridge the gap, tighten the acog mount down nice and tight.

Tighten in star pattern.  I have never had a rail appear off center when using this method.
View Quote
I used a Geissele scope mount to do mine, worked great.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
Some people cover it to reduce the brightness of the reticle chevron. The combination of ambient light and tritium through the tube can be pretty bright, so the tape tones it down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Roger that.  I figured it was at least to reduce the light from ambient sources - my ACOG is dang bright outdoors.  But I also wondered if the surface of the fiber might be too reflective for some people.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a cheap aftermarket carry handle just to align rails. It works perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By runguns:
What’s more clone correct, Full or Stubby Tangodown vfg?
View Quote
I've seen both, including the magpul AFG. I just sold my QD stubby though since I found the AFG much comfortable and ergonomic.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 10:31:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GHOS7] [#22]
duplicate
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:17:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thebomber] [#23]
I may finally be done. Not perfect but its what I have.

Hold for photos (photobucket sucks)

FN CHF 14.7 barrel
SF Mini suppressor and pinned 5.56 FH
SF Scout 300
MAWL 1
DD RIS II date code 15JAN11
TD stubby VFG
GB CH
KAC BUIS
KAC Scope mount
Vortex 1-6 HD II
LMT LPK, receiver ext and SOPMOD
Geiselle trigger
PSA M4AI lower

ETA PHOTOBUCKET SUCKS. WHATS A DECENT PHOTO HOST?
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Tried the ACOG mount and it straightened the rail up pretty good. I think it’s still off by maybe .001mm or something tiny so I’m not worried. It won’t contact the bayonet lug anymore so I’m good.
Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Tried the ACOG mount and it straightened the rail up pretty good. I think it’s still off by maybe .001mm or something tiny so I’m not worried. It won’t contact the bayonet lug anymore so I’m good.
Thanks for the advice.
View Quote

CD
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Long shot here,

Was the BE Meyers 249F ever used on a Block 2? I have one on hand and was debating installing it while I hunt for a reasonably price SF4P.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By WEK207:
Long shot here,

Was the BE Meyers 249F ever used on a Block 2? I have one on hand and was debating installing it while I hunt for a reasonably price SF4P.
View Quote
Kind of a hodgpodge 1.5 gun if you ask me

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 8/29/2019 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Special Forces Soldiers assigned to 3rd Special Group (Airborne) Training near Hurlburt Field, FL. The exercise was a part of a 3rd SFG (A) training rotation which encompasses various tactical techniques and procedures, including call for fire, full mission profiles and combat diver requalification. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Peter Seidler)
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2019 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 12:25:33 AM EDT
[#31]
^^^ that was pretty funny

Some Labor Day sales going on...

Daniel Defense has M4A1 RIS II non-FSPs FDE rails  and RIS II FSP FDE rails in stock and if you use the code DANIEL10, you'll save $44 and pay only $396 shipped.

Thoroughbred Armament has a few used items that just got some deeper discounts for guys on a budget...

Colt M16/AR15 Complete Bolt Carrier Assembly, C stamped, used, low round count - $135 shipped

Colt N1 CAR stocks, used surplus, good condition - $85 shipped

...and it looks like they still have some new Insight WMX200s, bronze; now priced at $785 shipped.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 4:38:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RWA007] [#32]
Well, my Tan EXPS3-0 purchase failed.  I ordered it more than a month ago from a 3PV on Amazon.  "New in box from original manufacturer in 3 to 4 weeks" for $425.  Thought it was too good to be true.  Long story short, I just got my refund today and now I'm soured on the whole Eotech thing anyway since I also had a G33 sale fall thru during that time. Sheesh.

In the meantime, I put my Strike Eagle on the Block II to go shoot it with my new M4A1 lower and SSA Trigger....and found out that I really like the Strike Eagle on that platform.  Pretty sure the P.E.P.R. mount is not correct however.   I'm looking at the Geissele Vortex 1-6 Sopmod Mounts now.  I see they have Black and some version of FDE (Dark Dirt color or something like that).  
Is one mount color (black or FDE'ish) more or less correct going down this road or is either color fine? Mostly seen pics of the Black mount. Eventually I'll likely end up with a Razor but the Strike Eagle is going on it for now since I've pretty much spent my clone budget money for a while.  On the bright side, the Block II matches my patio furniture perfectly.

ETA: Pic Thread...New installed items are the CQD front mount and CQD Endplate with the HK clips on my sling,  (Had QD's on there before, I have to say, I like the HK clips.),  Geissele SSA trigger,  (Didn't realize that was the same trigger that came in my Ambush 300blk...thought that one was SSA-E), M4A1 lower from PSA, matching UID Tag from Carolina Laser Works, Matech BUIS (Had a tan TROY on there before which I actually liked but wasn't exactly proper)  and MIAD grip.   Once I get the Scope situation ironed out I'll probably look into a SureFire to replace the Primary Arms light, which has actually worked perfectly for 6 years and other than the weight, I like it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2019 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 10:05:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#34]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:
Some Labor Day sales going on...

Thoroughbred Armament has a few used items that just got some deeper discounts for guys on a budget...

Colt M16/AR15 Complete Bolt Carrier Assembly, C stamped, used, low round count - $135 shipped
View Quote
I ordered one of these for $150 shipped two days before the sale started, as per my usual luck. They were almost gone, but they apparently restocked for the sale. Here are some photos in case anyone wants to see the condition of one. It’s in good shape with expected wear on the carrier rails, sides of the gas key, and the bolt face. The carrier “C” is stamped but the “MPC” on the bolt is done in the newer dot matrix style (I bought another used BCG a few months ago that was the same way).

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Only minor issue... the entire BCG got magnetized somehow. I’ve heard this can happen, but I’ve never seen it in 25 years of being around these rifles:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#35]

I ordered one of these for $150 shipped two days before the sale started, as per my usual luck. They were almost gone, but they apparently restocked for the sale. Here are some photos in case anyone wants to see the condition of one. It’s in good shape with expected wear on the carrier rails, sides of the gas key, and the bolt face. The carrier “C” is stamped but the “MPC” on the bolt is done in the newer dot matrix style (I bought another used BCG a few months ago that was the same way).

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/EA2A0318-9620-4E68-95F6-468A30425588_jpeg-1073603.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/2F5673B3-D986-472E-BD21-E7CD19E93AC0_jpeg-1073607.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/2CAF1D46-769E-47B7-AD8E-B46FA0FA4905_jpeg-1073608.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/0D25A6CA-CA46-49CB-9E72-C3088CD18703_jpeg-1073609.JPG

Only minor issue... the entire BCG got magnetized somehow. I’ve heard this can happen, but I’ve never seen it in 25 years of being around these rifles:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/9F0483A7-1B64-415C-892B-F4161922ACF4_jpeg-1073610.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/A5F542EA-871F-448E-BE1D-4FCAC6CEA82A_jpeg-1073611.JPG
View Quote
Looks great. As for the magnetization, not sure if that presents any issues, but I do know TA has top-notch customer service and would probably swap that out in a heartbeat if you wanted. Don’t hesitate to contact them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
It is how we lower the brightness of the reticle
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Finally got around to getting my FSP rail installed.

Link Posted: 8/31/2019 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#38]
anyone got a lead on a gas block?  That's my last missing piece
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:
Looks great. As for the magnetization, not sure if that presents any issues, but I do know TA has top-notch customer service and would probably swap that out in a heartbeat if you wanted. Don’t hesitate to contact them.
View Quote
I found a previous thread where several people recommended just finding a local machine shop that should be able to degauss it. I’ll look around for one, rather than bothering sending it back. I emailed TA this morning just to let them know, in case anyone else runs into this, and they wrote back within 20 minutes saying they would notify their supplier about it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 4:02:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By duke23433:
anyone got a lead on a gas block?  That's my last missing piece
View Quote
Same specs as a Mk12 gas blocks.

Brownells gas block

CD
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 7:03:34 AM EDT
[#41]

I found a previous thread where several people recommended just finding a local machine shop that should be able to degauss it. I’ll look around for one, rather than bothering sending it back. I emailed TA this morning just to let them know, in case anyone else runs into this, and they wrote back within 20 minutes saying they would notify their supplier about it.
View Quote
You do understand what "Magnetic Particle Inspection" means right?  

here's a cheat sheet that may provide insight to why your bolt is magnetic.  Short version:  that's part of the testing process and doesn't affect it in ANY way whatsoever.  unless you're an IG queen.  /shrug
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 8:40:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#42]
Originally Posted By ProfessorHorseyhead:
You do understand what "Magnetic Particle Inspection" means right?  
View Quote
Of course - did you read as far as the part that says, “After the part has been magnetized it needs to be demagnetized?”  While a metal part is temporarily magnetized during the MPI process, it should be degaussed afterwards to return it to its normal, non-magnetic condition. It’s possible that the bolt wasn’t demagnetized properly, and it in turn magnetized the rest of the BCG, or the entire assembly might have been magnetized somewhere else along the way by exposure to an electrical field.

Metal machine parts that are magnetized will attract metal shavings, dust, etc. In the case of a BCG, it won’t affect performance, but it will tend to attract metallic debris that will adhere in the nooks and crannies, which doesn’t make cleaning any easier. I’m a mechanical engineer (by education - haven’t “practiced” in a while), so I tend to get obsessed about the way things are “supposed to be.” Don’t let it worry you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 9/1/2019 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Would you guys build on receivers you already have that aren’t “correct” or spend more money to buy the correct ones? Part of me wants to get as clone correct as possible, but I’d have to buy new lowers and upper receivers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By lowonair:
Would you guys build on receivers you already have that aren’t “correct” or spend more money to buy the correct ones? Part of me wants to get as clone correct as possible, but I’d have to buy new lowers and upper receivers.
View Quote
I don't understand this. If you are going to clone something, you do it correct and clone it right. It drives me crazy knowing any little detail is off on my clones. I just traded out two Colt cage code marked uppers for the C stamped ones because the rifles I cloned were C marked.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Same specs as a Mk12 gas blocks.

Brownells gas block

CD
View Quote
Is the Mk12 block is nitrided, like the Brownells block?  Just curious, since it'll hide under the rail...
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By bwhited:
I don't understand this. If you are going to clone something, you do it correct and clone it right. It drives me crazy knowing any little detail is off on my clones. I just traded out two Colt cage code marked uppers for the C stamped ones because the rifles I cloned were C marked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bwhited:
Originally Posted By lowonair:
I think this become a philosophical, economic and cost/ benefit decision. At the end of the day none of our clones will be correct.

In my case I have an FN CHF barrel that is 14.7". My upper is LMT as is my LPK sans the Geiselle trigger.  The receiver extension is LMT arguably better than a Colt. My stock is an LMT gen II. I have a gen I but it is black but my rifle is FDE. I have the correct aiming devices. Should I have spent money on colt upper, barrel, bolt etc when my LMT/FN parts are equivalent or better?
C
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By thebomber:

I think this become a philosophical, economic and cost/ benefit decision. At the end of the day none of our clones will be correct.

In my case I have an FN CHF barrel that is 14.7". My upper is LMT as is my LPK sans the Geiselle trigger.  The receiver extension is LMT arguably better than a Colt. My stock is an LMT gen II. I have a gen I but it is black but my rifle is FDE. I have the correct aiming devices. Should I have spent money on colt upper, barrel, bolt etc when my LMT/FN parts are equivalent or better?
C
View Quote
Yeah I’d have to spend at least $2k to get the lowers I would go with plus a few hundred more for the uppers and bolt carriers. I could build the uppers on my current receivers for much less. It’s not like I’d be using Anderson parts. One upper would be a bcm 14.5” socom with the fsp rail and the other would be a dd 14.5” carbine barrel with the non fsp rail.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By thebomber:

C
View Quote
The answer to your question is yes you should have. It's either a clone or not. Yes we can't get Colt M4A1 US Gov marked full auto lowers, but every other part we can obtain. Its been discussed its not about having better parts. Has nothing to do with it when your in the clone game. To each their own. If you can live with it great, but to me that's not a clone.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#50]
If you can live with it great, but to me that's not a clone.
View Quote
To my point it's not your decision. That is your opinion. The platform has a ton of latitude. It's not like there is one configuration.
Page / 908
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top