Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1164 of 1573)
Page / 1573
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 9:40:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buddyhoohaw] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By socommatthews:

@krdt I purchased one of those N1 clone stocks from MA Parts and got it in today. I threw it in my rifle and I have to say... I'm surprised at how small a stock it is lol. The SBA3 brace on my pistol feels more comfortable. I only got it because I love the look of yours and we all know looks are 8/10ths of the rifle ammirite! I guess you get used to it huh? Once I have the stamp for my Mk18 build I'll be able to contribute. I think I have the major stuff right.
View Quote
I find the OG CAR-15 stocks to be too small for my liking. The rubber aftermarket buttpad helps to increase the footprint of the butt somewhat but still pretty small.

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#3]
@krdt I purchased one of those N1 clone stocks from MA Parts and got it in today. I threw it in my rifle and I have to say... I'm surprised at how small a stock it is lol. The SBA3 brace on my pistol feels more comfortable. I only got it because I love the look of yours and we all know looks are 8/10ths of the rifle ammirite! I guess you get used to it huh? Once I have the stamp for my Mk18 build I'll be able to contribute. I think I have the major stuff right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By krdt:
Originally Posted By wissota4:

I wouldn't overthink it too much. A natural background is usually a good choice - dirt, gravel, etc. Concrete can work well, too. Just play around with whatever is available and see what you like.  A white background is always a classic choice, but the lighting is a bit more important.

Almost all my photos are taken with a shitty 10-year-old-plus Canon Powershot A2000IS with a meager 10MP sensor (you can get one for about $30 bucks today, lol). So, all things considered, I think they turn out pretty decent. That being said, I really need to invest in a DSLR. There is only so much you can do with such a dated camera.

Anyway...

Probably one of my favorites:
http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.110418.Shooting.NS-RS-08.jpg

A white posterboard usually makes for a good background (as long as you get the lighting right or can edit it in Photoshop). I always seem to decide to take pictures on a white BG when the lighting is less than ideal, and then end up correcting it as much as possible in PS.
http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.112318.BF-RS-10.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.011819.WB-RS-03.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/Mk18.122318.SBR.WBG-RS-02.jpg

Of course, I'm always a fan of plunking it down in your brass after shooting:
http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.110418.Shooting.NS-RS-02.jpg
I over think everything.
Your pics look so damn clean. How are you guys getting such good lighting?
Considering I can agonize over "Do I build a URGI 10.3 or another CQBR Block II" for a week or two, so do I; just not for pictures, lol.

Honestly, I don't really even think about lighting. Mine are 25% lighting and 75% Photoshop fix after the fact, lol. Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I definitely don't rely just on raw photo quality alone (with an antique camera I can't ;p).

About the only time I give much consideration to lighting is when shooting on a white BG. A white BG is a lot less forgiving - you can fudge things a bit more when no one knows for sure what the background color is supposed to be. When the background needs to be crispy white and no shadows, you're also limited by how much you can correct the subject (or the BG for that matter). Half the time outdoors, I forget about taking pictures until the sun is too low and it's almost dark. Sometimes I can squeeze enough light out to make a decent picture and sometimes I can't.

ETA: All clean and shiny.

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.011819.WB-RS-02.jpg
It's possible it might grow on you, but it's really a matter of preference. If you give it a good try and it just isn't right, I wouldn't run it just for looks (awesome as they are :D). A SOPMOD looks pretty spiffy, too.

At least part of the reason I like and find them comfortable is probably that I grew up shooting CAR stocks. In fact, the very first AR I ever fired had a CAR stock. That likely has something to do with it - if I'd been more used to other, more modern stocks, and then jumped to an N1, I might feel differently. For me, it's like an old friend, lol. Even after all the different stocks I've tried over the years, it's still one of my favorites. Super lightweight, extremely compact - those are the main selling points to me. Of course, as with anything, there are trade-offs. Personally, I really like how a CQBR balances with the N1 - both with the RC and without.

I tend to run mine either in the 3rd position or all the way out on a Colt 4 position (depending on clothing/plate carrier). In that position, I find my recoil management is about on par with the SOPMOD, and when it comes to overall shooting performance, I shoot about equally well with both. I'd say there is a slight edge to the SOPMOD on quick transitions between targets, but we're talking a pretty minor difference. So, if I were doing some kind of competition shooting, I'd probably pick the SOPMOD. On the flipside, if I have to carry it around and for general use, hunting and so forth, I pick the N1 for the lighter weight.

None of that is to say I don't really like SOPMODs as well, though ;p.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#4]

It's possible it might grow on you, but it's really a matter of preference. If you give it a good try and it just isn't right, I wouldn't run it just for looks (awesome as they are :D). A SOPMOD looks pretty spiffy, too.

At least part of the reason I like and find them comfortable is probably that I grew up shooting CAR stocks. In fact, the very first AR I ever fired had a CAR stock. That likely has something to do with it - if I'd been more used to other, more modern stocks, and then jumped to an N1, I might feel differently. For me, it's like an old friend, lol. Even after all the different stocks I've tried over the years, it's still one of my favorites. Super lightweight, extremely compact - those are the main selling points to me. Of course, as with anything, there are trade-offs. Personally, I really like how a CQBR balances with the N1 - both with the RC and without.

I tend to run mine either in the 3rd position or all the way out on a Colt 4 position (depending on clothing/plate carrier). In that position, I find my recoil management is about on par with the SOPMOD, and when it comes to overall shooting performance, I shoot about equally well with both. I'd say there is a slight edge to the SOPMOD on quick transitions between targets, but we're talking a pretty minor difference. So, if I were doing some kind of competition shooting, I'd probably pick the SOPMOD. On the flipside, if I have to carry it around and for general use, hunting and so forth, I pick the N1 for the lighter weight.

View Quote
And no mention of the waffle... disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 2:48:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 762hunter2] [#5]
Getting back in the CQBR game here soon.

Figured I’d just take the taupe 99051 and KAC 2-6 non micro off my 14.5 SOPMOD block ii since it has a vortex razor 1-6 as well as take the M600u off my LWRC for the CQBR

My question is: I already have 2 cans pending right now so it doesn’t seem like a RC is in the cards until this summer. How severe would the beatings be if I ran my Sandman S I already have to get some of that sweet suppressed cqbr goodness ? Less severe if a suppressor cover is added to hide my shame?

Also how good are EXPS3-0’s these days? Bet your life good or spend the extra cash for a T2?

And finally SBA3 braces on colt lowers until Form 1 comes back? Moderate lashings?
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 3:35:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#6]
So, I think I may have confirmed something today that I've been suspecting, and possibly found out what caused the early baffle erosion I saw with my RC: Wolf Gold. After shooting it exclusively the last few trips, I'm pretty sure Wolf Gold causes some fucking brutal and abnormal baffle erosion.

I started to suspect it a while back, but today pretty much confirmed it. I would say the last 650rds of Wolf Gold have easily caused twice the amount of erosion compared to the previous 1,500rds of Wolf steel case. In fact, now that I think about it, all of the noticeable baffle erosion I've had coincided with shooting Wolf Gold. The first 700 odd rounds through the RC were all Federal AE, and the erosion was pretty unexceptional; then I shot 300-400rds of WG, and that's when I had the first chunk pop out at around 1,000rds.

Add to that the last few trips with WG exclusively and I'm pretty convinced - this shit is vastly more destructive than Wolf WPA, Federal AE or M193. Not sure if it's just this particular lot, or something common to all WG... but just something to consider if you shoot WG suppressed.

Not sure these photos fully convey it, but visually I could see vastly accelerated erosion after each trip shooting WG.

Baffle at 2828rds (after 1,500 or so rounds of Wolf WPA):

Baffle at 3164rds (after 336rds of Wolf Gold):

Baffle at 3472rds (after 308rds of Wolf Gold):

View All Quotes

Lol. I dunno, I just never fully took to the waffle. I don't dislike it, but I prefer an N1 or SOPMOD.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 4:08:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Another who prefers the SOPMOD and N1 over the waffle.

CD
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 4:49:55 AM EDT
[#8]
The waffle does nothing well. The cheek weld isn’t good enough and the stock body itself is too big.

And it’s fugly as hell.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:
The waffle does nothing well. The cheek weld isn’t good enough and the stock body itself is too big.

And it’s fugly as hell.
View Quote
Lol. I run it on the m4 mws build. For nostalgic reasons.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw:
I find the OG CAR-15 stocks to be too small for my liking. The rubber aftermarket buttpad helps to increase the footprint of the butt somewhat but still pretty small.

Cheers
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw:

Cheers
On my rifle it does feel a bit small but once my stamp comes in I'll throw it on the Mk18 and see how it feels on it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:10:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WhisperPickle] [#11]
So, I think I may have confirmed something today that I've been suspecting, and possibly found out what caused the early baffle erosion I saw with my RC: Wolf Gold. After shooting it exclusively the last few trips, I'm pretty sure Wolf Gold causes some fucking brutal and abnormal baffle erosion.

I started to suspect it a while back, but today pretty much confirmed it. I would say the last 650rds of Wolf Gold have easily caused twice the amount of erosion compared to the previous 1,500rds of Wolf steel case. In fact, now that I think about it, all of the noticeable baffle erosion I've had coincided with shooting Wolf Gold. The first 700 odd rounds through the RC were all Federal AE, and the erosion was pretty unexceptional; then I shot 300-400rds of WG, and that's when I had the first chunk pop out at around 1,000rds.

Add to that the last few trips with WG exclusively and I'm pretty convinced - this shit is vastly more destructive than Wolf WPA, Federal AE or M193. Not sure if it's just this particular lot, or something common to all WG... but just something to consider if you shoot WG suppressed.

Not sure these photos fully convey it, but visually I could see vastly accelerated erosion after each trip shooting WG.

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.011319.RC.Baffle.2828-RS-04.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.012919.RC.Baffle.3164-RS-02.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.0020619.RC.Baffle.3472-RS-02.jpg

Lol. I dunno, I just never fully took to the waffle. I don't dislike it, but I prefer an N1 or SOPMOD.
View Quote
Wow, that looks pretty significant. I'm waiting on a stamp for a SOCOM RC and your pictures makes me want to switch out the 3P for a Surefire brake. I wonder if that would tame it down.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Brake would help somewhat I’m sure.  I only run the FH on the 14.5+ and a brake and close tine on my 10.3 and 10.4.

Also, interesting hypothesis on the Wolf Gold.

Wow, that looks pretty significant. I'm waiting on a stamp for a SOCOM RC and your pictures makes me want to switch out the 3P for a Surefire brake. I wonder if that would tame it down.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Damn dude. While not on subject of a clone suppressor, I have about 1.2k rounds through my sandman S on my Mod 0 with the flash hider with wolf gold back to back, different range trips and my blast baffle doesn't look that worn out.

Do you plan on doing some more testing with different ammo this time?
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
That's alarmingly concerning, actually....to see that much erosion. It makes you wonder.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Another observation is the strange residue this WG is putting off - you can see it form on the blast baffle in the above pictures after I began shooting it exclusively. Yesterday I noticed it also bleeding a ton of yellowish shit out of my trigger pins and anywhere gas could escape - seemed like a LOT more gas than usual. This batch was stored a year or so indoors and maybe got 85 degrees, but I wouldn't think that should affect anything. All the same, I've never seen this particular residue or this much gas bleed before - even with the batch of WG that caused my first major bit of erosion (when I lost a chunk of my baffle). Altogether strange.

View Quote
Yep, the wear from the last 650rds of WG has been very significant. I'd imagine a brake would help to some degree, but the erosion I was seeing with Wolf WPA and Federal .223/5.56 was far less aggressive.

Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:

Damn dude. While not on subject of a clone suppressor, I have about 1.2k rounds through my sandman S on my Mod 0 with the flash hider with wolf gold back to back, different range trips and my blast baffle doesn't look that worn out.

Do you plan on doing some more testing with different ammo this time?
View Quote
Well, I can tell you I won't be shooting WG through the RC anymore, lol. I think at this point I've shot enough Federal AE to say it doesn't approach the current level of erosion I've seen with WG, nor does Wolf WPA (surprisingly). I'm going to start shooting Federal M193 exclusively for a bit and see how that goes.

Originally Posted By Subiescott:

That's alarmingly concerning, actually....to see that much erosion. It makes you wonder.
View Quote
Kinda, lol. It's halfway through the blast baffle at 3,500rds... a tad concerning. If things continue at the current rate, I'll easily be burning through the first baffle at 10k. Then again, when I switched to Wolf WPA and baffle erosion all but stopped, I thought, "Oh, finally... things kinda plateaued and it'll be smooth sailing from here." Then I started shooting WG again, lol. Things took a turn.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 5:36:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#16]
Once I get my RIS lower rail sorted out with Knight's Armament, my Colt LE6920 lower will be the only thing that isn't quite accurate on this build. No plans to move to an A1 lower. Will just run the A2.

Question though: does the addition of a KAC NT4 move it from MK18 Mod 0 to CQBR SOPMOD Block I? Or still could pass for a MK18 Mod 0 with the can on it?
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:
Once I get my RIS lower rail sorted out with Knight's Armament, my Colt LE6920 lower will be the only thing that isn't quite accurate on this build. No plans to move to an A1 lower. Will just run the A2.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4885/40055849263_0dcfe5de07.jpg

Question though: does the addition of a KAC NT4 move it from MK18 Mod 0 to CQBR SOPMOD Block I? Or still could pass for a MK18 Mod 0 with the can on it?
View Quote
As far as pics go we have just seen them with the NT4 flash hider and not the can. But that alone in my opinion is enough to call your future setup correct.

If somebody was to have a problem with it, remove the can and take a new pic. Lol I don't see anybody giving a damn tho. There had to at least be a plan to use NT4s there potentially. Otherwise I don't see why CRANE would have gone with the KAC flash hider over the much cheaper A2 flash hider
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks dude.

From the 'gram...

Link Posted: 2/7/2019 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks dude.

From the 'gram...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4825/40056737243_b846184c3d_c.jpg
View Quote

Where can one find that hat?
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#21]

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4885/40055849263_0dcfe5de07.jpg

View Quote
Are you kidding me? That'll never work. You had better cancel the Form 4 and have your dealer transfer the NT4 to me immediately. Forget those sort of crazy notions.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:20:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#22]

View Quote
Damn - have a case of Wolf Gold sitting here unused yet. Sort of making me think twice now about running it through my DD Mk18 upper w/ SF 4-prong FH and my SOCOM RC.

I can't remember - what sort of warranty does Surefire have on their cans?

Weird that it's worse than steel...
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Are these only using milspec triggers? Any G's spotted?
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
Damn, and I’ve stocked up quite a bit of Wolf Gold. I have m193 too but was hoping to use the WG as it’s a bit cheaper.

I wonder how long before those out in the field have to get their RCs serviced. Or are they just simply replaced?
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:33:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#25]
Originally Posted By tnbigdawg:

I wonder how long before those out in the field have to get their RCs serviced. Or are they just simply replaced?
View Quote
You can't service them, they're a sealed system. If they are like any other wear item they probably get checked before deployment and should be good to go through the deployment. If they are out of spec, turn it in and get a new one.

ETA My rule of thumb is that I don't run any ammo that has an animal name in the brand name.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:51:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#26]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

Damn - have a case of Wolf Gold sitting here unused yet. Sort of making me think twice now about running it through my DD Mk18 upper w/ SF 4-prong FH and my SOCOM RC.

I can't remember - what sort of warranty does Surefire have on their cans?

Weird that it's worse than steel...
View Quote
Definitely not a "no questions asked" type warranty. If you could prove there was some defect in materials that was leading to unusual wear, they'd probably address it. Otherwise, Surefire offers a re-coring service for $650 I believe it is.

If I had to guess, the steel case is using a different powder, and the lower velocity probably helps as well (although Wolf WPA is pretty high velocity compared to stuff like Tula - about on par with other brass .223, whereas Wolf Gold is closer to most commercial M193). I can't help but wonder if WG uses a powder that causes a good deal more flame (and flame erosion) compared to WPA and other brass .223/5.56.

Also, there is that strange residue on the baffle that seems to be specific to this case of WG - before it was completely burned looking like the last photo, it was an almost yellowish, shellac looking substance. The WG that I'd been shooting previously was from a different case, and it didn't put any residue like that on the baffle. Come to think of it, the residue on the baffle looks a lot like a burned version of the yellowish residue around the gaps in the receivers (high sulfur content, maybe?). Wondering if the powder went bad in this case?

All the same, the previous case that lacked the yellow residue also caused aggressive erosion, so I can't say it's just the result of a bad batch.

Damn, and I’ve stocked up quite a bit of Wolf Gold. I have m193 too but was hoping to use the WG as it’s a bit cheaper.

View Quote
I know one of the mil guys who used to post in this thread (JShepard) had to replace his RC at around 8-10k. He had a pretty good amount of erosion, but I seem to recall the real culprit was a baffle strike. Like I said, your only real recourse outside of a manufacturer's defect is to have it re-cored.

Unless I was unlucky and received a blast baffle with improper heat treat or something along those lines, I'd definitely be weary shooting WG through your RC.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Definitely not a "no questions asked" type warranty. If you could prove there was some defect in materials that was leading to unusual wear, they'd probably address it. Otherwise, Surefire offers a re-coring service for $650 I believe it is.

If I had to guess, the steel case is using a different powder, and the lower velocity probably helps as well (although Wolf WPA is pretty high velocity compared to stuff like Tula - about on par with other brass .223, whereas Wolf Gold is closer to most commercial M193). I can't help but wonder if WG uses a powder that causes a good deal more flame (and flame erosion) compared to WPA and other brass .223/5.56.

Also, there is that strange residue on the baffle that seems to be specific to this case of WG - before it was completely burned looking like the last photo, it was an almost yellowish, shellac looking substance. The WG that I'd been shooting previously was from a different case, and it didn't put any residue like that on the baffle. Come to think of it, the residue on the baffle looks a lot like a burned version of the yellowish residue around the gaps in the receivers (high sulfur content, maybe?). Wondering if the powder went bad in this case?

All the same, the previous case that lacked the yellow residue also caused aggressive erosion, so I can't say it's just the result of a bad batch.

I know one of the mil guys who used to post in this thread (JShepard) had to replace his RC at around 8-10k. He had a pretty good amount of erosion, but I seem to recall the real culprit was a baffle strike. Like I said, your only real recourse outside of a manufacturer's defect is to have it re-cored.

Unless I was unlucky and received a blast baffle with improper heat treat or something along those lines, I'd definitely be weary shooting WG through your RC.
View Quote
Still 650 for a whole new baffle stack, assuming there are no fees or stamps or some bullshit hoops, is a good deal.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:13:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#28]
Just sorta an interesting comparison.

JShepard Issued RC @ 8k (w/ baffle strike)

ECPrevatte @ 15k+

brodband8 @ 20k+

Mine @ 3,472
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:19:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#29]
Those pictures convinced me to run a SFMB on my CQBR and move the 4 prong over to my in-progress M4A1 SOPMOD Block II. I don't have the same accountant as Uncle Sugar and need my toys to last as long as possible. It might not be "clone correct" but it will still look right with the can mounted.

That's a lot of flame cutting.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Damn, I have 2,000 rounds of WG I'm going to start dipping into. Have to keep an eye on it
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#31]
This perspective gives a little better idea just how deep the cuts are. Almost looks like someone took a little tiny oxy-acetylene torch to it, lol.

Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ArmyPilot12:
Those pictures convinced me to run a SFMB on my CQBR and move the 4 prong over to my in-progress M4A1 SOPMOD Block II. I don't have the same accountant as Uncle Sugar and need my toys to last as long as possible. It might not be "clone correct" but it will still look right with the can mounted.

That's a lot of flame cutting.
View Quote
I definitely debated over going with an SFMB, and now I'm wondering if I made the right decision. I knew to expect more aggressive erosion with a flash hider, but I wanted to retain the ability to shoot unsuppressed with some degree of comfort (and the 4P being "correct" certainly didn't do anything to dissuade me, either). I figured if the difference in life was only 5k - 10k at the most - then I could live with that. But, I have to admit, I wasn't fully prepared for just how aggressive the erosion would be, heh.

That said, I'm not sure my erosion is entirely average; given how it compares to other RCs with much higher round counts, I think I could claim 15k through mine and no one would doubt it. That almost makes me wonder if there is something defective about my baffle. Wolf Gold is a pretty popular ammunition - you'd think if there were a general issue with it eating baffles, I wouldn't be the first to notice. On the other hand, I felt the erosion I was seeing with WPA and Federal ammo was pretty modest. In any case, I'm definitely not going to be putting anymore WG through it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Do gifs work in here? I've animated the wear progression of your baffles @krdt:

Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#34]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/NT4-baffle-strike-questions/381-289791/

Look at what 300 rounds of Wolf Gold did to this guy's NT4.  I would never use that in a suppressed rifle again.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Like I posted in the SOPMOD Block II thread, I don't use any ammo with an animal name in the brand name. I like knowing what powders are being used to launch bullets, just me being me.

My SB (clone incorrect anyways) is still in jail so I have no comparison pics but I did just order a SFMB from Proven, they had the best price.

I would send the pics, and the gif, to SF and see if they think that this is excessive wear for the round count.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Like I posted in the SOPMOD Block II thread, I don't use any ammo with an animal name in the brand name. I like knowing what powders are being used to launch bullets, just me being me.

My SB (clone incorrect anyways) is still in jail so I have no comparison pics but I did just order a SFMB from Proven, they had the best price.

I would send the pics, and the gif, to SF and see if they think that this is excessive wear for the round count.
View Quote
@ArmyPilot12 Who is Proven? I'm debating on a SFMB myself.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 12:01:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#37]

@ArmyPilot12 Who is Proven? I'm debating on a SFMB myself.
View Quote
https://www.provenoutfitters.com/

Spin off of Quantico. They have a mil/LEO discount program if you qualify.

The SFMB page.
https://www.provenoutfitters.com/socom-556mm-muzzle-brakes

@socommatthews
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 12:40:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4AZ] [#38]
Here are my two rc2's that are well used and have at least 5000 through each and i have gone through about 15000 rounds of wolf gold in 2018/19
The first can with a little less wear is actually older and was my first can so has some four prong use but gets almost exclusively used on my hk416 and m38 and both those have surefire closed tine flash hiders on them, the one that is a little more worn with a 4 prong groove is always on my cqbr upper.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 12:44:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#39]
Originally Posted By Conner378:
Here are my two rc2's that are well used and have at least 5000 through each and i have gone through about 15000 rounds of wolf gold in 2018/19
The first can with a little less wear is actually older and was my first can so has some four prong use but gets almost exclusively used on my hk416 and m38 and both those have surefire closed tine flash hiders on them, the one that is a little more worn with a 4 prong groove is always on my cqbr upper.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448813/FA802ECB-7D66-4498-AEB8-698BBF71F0CA_jpeg-837705.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448813/80EBEA99-C05E-487E-9863-F654297E7496_jpeg-837706.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448813/40865FC4-843A-4338-B869-0D2281F1D67D_jpeg-837707.JPG
View Quote
Am I missing something? Are the outer baffle holes plugged?

ETA nvm must be an RC2 thing
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 1:38:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

Am I missing something? Are the outer baffle holes plugged?

ETA nvm must be an RC2 thing
View Quote
rc2 doesnt have the holes...at least mine doesnt lol
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 1:50:30 AM EDT
[#41]
I've posted these a while back, but here's what the differences look like

RC:

RC2:
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 2:03:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4AZ] [#42]
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 2:12:39 AM EDT
[#43]

https://i.imgur.com/569eXil.gif
View Quote
Nice! That's a great idea, actually. I have photos from new up to current, from every shooting trip. It'd be interesting to see an animated progression from the very beginning.

Originally Posted By Logrus:

Look at what 300 rounds of Wolf Gold did to this guy's NT4.  I would never use that in a suppressed rifle again.
View Quote
Damn. Well, I guess it could've been worse; that's pretty fucked. Even if you ignore the baffle strike, that's a ridiculous amount of erosion on an NT4 over the course of 300rds. Seems to lend credence to my theory that it's WG that's to blame. Glad that I at least have the option of re-coring.

View Quote
Yeah, I might see what SF has to say, although I have a feeling they'll say something similar to what KAC told the guy in the above thread: "Nothing wrong with the can." Kinda wish I had my NT4 if they do say to send it in... gonna suck if it takes months to get it back.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448813/FA802ECB-7D66-4498-AEB8-698BBF71F0CA_jpeg-837705.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448813/80EBEA99-C05E-487E-9863-F654297E7496_jpeg-837706.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448813/40865FC4-843A-4338-B869-0D2281F1D67D_jpeg-837707.JPG
View Quote
If those have 5,000 of all Wolf Gold, that certainly throws a curve into my theory. Still, I can see a massive difference in the erosion on mine with WG versus other ammo. That's with ammo from two different cases (maybe even three) all purchased at different times, so I tend to think it being a bad batch is unlikely (but not impossible). Either way, I'm not taking any chances - no more WG for me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Nice! That's a great idea, actually. I have photos from new up to current, from every shooting trip. It'd be interesting to see an animated progression from the very beginning.

Damn. Well, I guess it could've been worse; that's pretty fucked. Even if you ignore the baffle strike, that's a ridiculous amount of erosion on an NT4 over the course of 300rds. Seems to lend credence to my theory that it's WG that's to blame. Glad that I at least have the option of re-coring.

Yeah, I might see what SF has to say, although I have a feeling they'll say something similar to what KAC told the guy in the above thread: "Nothing wrong with the can." Kinda wish I had my NT4 if they do say to send it in... gonna suck if it takes months to get it back.

If those have 5,000 of all Wolf Gold, that certainly throws a curve into my theory. Still, I can see a massive difference in the erosion on mine with WG versus other ammo. That's with ammo from two different cases (maybe even three) all purchased at different times, so I tend to think it being a bad batch is unlikely (but not impossible). Either way, I'm not taking any chances - no more WG for me.
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/569eXil.gif

Originally Posted By Logrus:

Well shit, I've been stocking Wolf Gold for a while now.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Woke up this morning to a beautiful email from the ATF

E-Form 1 approved for the MK18. 1 of 3 down, 2 to go.

Submitted: 12/30/2018
Approved: 2/8/2019

Seeing that there is no stamp provided for the E-forms process, do I just print and keep a copy of form 1 with me?

finally can get rid of the pistol brace. excited about my first SBR.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

Seeing that there is no stamp provided for the E-forms process, do I just print and keep a copy of form 1 with me?

View Quote
Congrats. I'm almost ready to file for a 2nd one.
I printed a copy and keep in my bag. Plus downloaded a copy to my phone.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
You should post your findings in the Suppressor forum to see if others have had the same problems.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote
Spoke too soon. 3/3 approved

Damn this is exciting lol
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#49]

Spoke too soon. 3/3 approved

Damn this is exciting lol
View Quote
Lol. Do you talk to your co-workers about all these purchases?
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 11:32:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: walkinginadangerzone] [#50]
Anyone know what the blast baffle of the RC is made of?

View Quote
Nice, and yep.
Page / 1573
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1164 of 1573)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top