AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1175 of 1573)
Page / 1573
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PingRing774:
After 1174 pages of reading, I finally registered. This thread is the reason I am a part of this forum. I wanted my first post to be here.

I currently am putting together a MK18 MOD 0 clone, am looking forward to sharing it here once it is finished. Thanks to everyone who posts knowledge here.

Combat_Diver- you rock and your information has been inspiring. Thanks a ton!
View Quote
Man I always find it nuts when people stop in and say they read all 1100 pages. If I had read 1100 pages of our bullshit I would have ran the other direction like my hair was on fire.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Why does the RIS II have a detachable bottom rail on the MK18? On the full length it allows attachment of the 203, but can the MK18 take a 203 without the front notch on the barrel being present (too short)?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#3]
To be honest dude, I found the thread when it was about 500 pages long. I first looked at just the photos posted, then I read a bit deeper about rails and accessories. I like to research so it was fun to come home from work and chill and cruise the thread. Kind of funny to read pissing matches here and there but the thread is really informative.

I have not gone through every post but the ones that have good info- now I am relatively informed now about how to build a good clone.

Ultimately I want to find a DD FSP MK18 rail and make a MOD 1.5. In the meantime while I watch the EE,  I will build with a KAC RAS rail. I see loads of MOD 0 clones and MOD 1 clones but I like the idea of a 1.5. (SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE DETECTED)
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By henryfrank:
Why does the RIS II have a detachable bottom rail on the MK18? On the full length it allows attachment of the 203, but can the MK18 take a 203 without the front notch on the barrel being present (too short)?
View Quote
The original contract was to allow for an M203. I suppose they just kept the same design for the shorter ones.

To answer the question if the M203 will fit - no it won't.

The issue is that the front part of the rail where the barrel pokes out of prevents the M203 from seating flush against.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#5]
To be honest dude, I found the thread when it was about 500 pages long. I first looked at just the photos posted, then I read a bit deeper about rails and accessories. I like to research so it was fun to come home from work and chill and cruise the thread. Kind of funny to read pissing matches here and there but the thread is really informative.

I have not gone through every post but the ones that have good info- now I am relatively informed now about how to build a good clone.

Ultimately I want to find a DD FSP MK18 rail and make a MOD 1.5. In the meantime while I watch the EE,  I will build with a KAC RAS rail. I see loads of MOD 0 clones and MOD 1 clones but I like the idea of a 1.5. (SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE DETECTED)
View Quote
I’m a bit of a researcher myself and got the same enjoyment out of sifting through the thread in the evenings after work.  Definitely haven’t read all 1100+ pages, though.  A lot of great information that has been really helpful.  Luckily, I learned about the true nature of the 10.5” before I ever posted a picture of my 10.5” Mk18 Mod 0 “clone”...

Now just waiting on AU to get some Colt FSB 10.3’s back in stock so I can switch out that spawn of satan 10.5” upper.

Welcome fellow Oregonian!  Gotta build ‘em while the Dems still allow us too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I received my Form 1 for my lower a year ago. Been working to make a correct clone since then, it is nowhere near complete so I have nothing to post here- yet. HOWEVER: I bring forth a humble offering for the beast that is the CQBR thread. As soon as I received the approved Form 1, I replaced the shockwave brace with a B5 SOPMOD. The brace was absolute cancer and I hated it, you can see what I did to it.

Link Posted: 2/27/2019 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I received my Form 1 for my lower a year ago. Been working to make a correct clone since then, it is nowhere near complete so I have nothing to post here- yet. HOWEVER: I bring forth a humble offering for the beast that is the CQBR thread. As soon as I received the approved Form 1, I replaced the shockwave brace with a B5 SOPMOD. The brace was absolute cancer and I hated it, you can see what I did to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqMd5piEWxc&feature=youtu.be
View Quote
The end of that vid gave me a serious case of deja-vu for some reason
Love the vid tho. Lol

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqMd5piEWxc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
There is now turning back now you have made a commitment for life! Hahaha.
Welcome to the madness
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

The end of that vid gave me a serious case of deja-vu for some reason
Love the vid tho. Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqMd5piEWxc&feature=youtu.be
View Quote
Great vid
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I cant believe you actually burned the buffer tube and everything.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the awesome pics CD! Any idea why crane is still using cut down 14.5" Colt barrels vs buying new 10.3" barrels? Cheaper to use the existing stock?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
I cant believe you actually burned the buffer tube and everything.
View Quote
The only thing to do with pistol braces is to burn all traces. The tube was proprietary to the brace; thus part of the cancer. I replaced it with a mil spec tube from Brownells.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
You sir, are my hero!  

#realstocksmatter
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:03:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#16]
So last year I was able to snag one of, if not, the last SOCOM RC's from AU when they had their sale. It finally got approved last week so I took the day off work and made the 3 hour drive down to Austin to pick it up from silencershop today. Here she is in all her glory..

Attachment Attached File

And here's the blaster that will be hosting her...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I filed the form 1 around the same time as I did the form 4 for the RC so that should be coming any day now. Will go on a Colt LE lower and have a Gen Juan FDE LMT SOPMOD. Upper is also currently getting the SiCo FH switched out for a SF 4 prong and I still need to decide if I want to pony up for a WMX200. Almost done boys..almost done.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:14:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#17]
Originally Posted By henryfrank:
Thanks for the awesome pics CD! Any idea why crane is still using cut down 14.5" Colt barrels vs buying new 10.3" barrels? Cheaper to use the existing stock?
View Quote
Don't think Crane is cutting anymore down.  Hence 17' only getting factory FN SOCOM 10.3" bbls for replacements as barrels get shot out.  The one I still have is old stock.

Same goes for 14.5" bbls, no longer Colts without FSB and dimples.  New factory FN SOCOM 14.5" with dimples for low profile gas blocks.  These new FN barrels do not have taper pin holes, only dimples for set screws for the LPGB.

CD
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Brockoli1010:
So last year I was able to snag one of, if not, the last SOCOM RC's from AU when they had their sale.
View Quote
You remember when it was you bought it from AU?
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:52:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Are the SOCOM SB clone correct?
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:02:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Chikenmastr:
Are the SOCOM SB clone correct?
View Quote
Negatory.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:14:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:
So last year I was able to snag one of, if not, the last SOCOM RC's from AU when they had their sale.
My order confirmation came on 3/29/18 at 11:36 AM.

I had been watching and waiting to pull the trigger on it for a while. When I finally decided to they were sold out. By some miracle I got a product arrival notification a couple days later and had the order confirm within 5 minutes. I went back and checked the site after I ordered and it was sold out again and their link for the RC redirected you to the SB.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:36:49 AM EDT
[#22]
So last year I was able to snag one of, if not, the last SOCOM RC's from AU when they had their sale. It finally got approved last week so I took the day off work and made the 3 hour drive down to Austin to pick it up from silencershop today. Here she is in all her glory..

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457702/IMG_7164_jpg-860566.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457702/IMG_5637_jpg-860568.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457702/IMG_5674_jpg-860569.JPG

I filed the form 1 around the same time as I did the form 4 for the RC so that should be coming any day now. Will go on a Colt LE lower and have a Gen Juan FDE LMT SOPMOD. Upper is also currently getting the SiCo FH switched out for a SF 4 prong and I still need to decide if I want to pony up for a WMX200. Almost done boys..almost done.
View Quote
If your Form 1 is awaiting the background check, you can call your examiner and let them know you just had a Form 4 approved - they will most likely approve the F1 immediately. Considering you've been waiting nearly a year, you almost certainly are waiting on the background. You only have 30 days to apply an existing background check, though... so I'd call them ASAP.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:38:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone know if there's a way to download this doc? I'd love to have a local copy.  I could print it out, for starters...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dNdV1AmvmVuGH28s-JnwnaIjVnJfJwjIoQ_el5ZMOn0/htmlview#
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:42:47 AM EDT
[#24]

My order confirmation came on 3/29/18 at 11:36 AM.

I had been watching and waiting to pull the trigger on it for a while. When I finally decided to they were sold out. By some miracle I got a product arrival notification a couple days later and had the order confirm within 5 minutes. I went back and checked the site after I ordered and it was sold out again and their link for the RC redirected you to the SB.
View Quote
Ordered mine on 3/21/18 and it went out of stock shortly afterwards. I remember at the time thinking “I better do this before it goes out of stock.” Glad I did. My stamp came in early December.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:52:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By krdt:
If your Form 1 is awaiting the background check, you can call your examiner and let them know you just had a Form 4 approved - they will most likely approve the F1 immediately. Considering you've been waiting nearly a year, you almost certainly are waiting on the background. You only have 30 days to apply an existing background check, though... so I'd call them ASAP.
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457702/IMG_7164_jpg-860566.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457702/IMG_5637_jpg-860568.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457702/IMG_5674_jpg-860569.JPG

Will do. I just looked at my old emails and the Form 1 check actually cashed before the Form 4 (4/29/18 and 5/8/18, respectively). I thought it was the other way around so that’s kinda strange. Took so long for me to submit because it was like pulling teeth getting the whole trust set up via kiosk. My parents are both in the medical field so they couldn’t get their prints to work since all the hand washing has practically removed the prints off their fingers. But yeah, I’ll call tomorrow and hopefully push it to the finish line.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#26]
For anyone curious, I pulled the Mk12 off one of my DD 10.3" barrels and it's nicely dimpled for both set screws. Dimpling was done prior to phosphating as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#27]
For anyone curious, I pulled the Mk12 off one of my DD 10.3" barrels and it's nicely dimpled for both set screws. Dimpling was done prior to phosphating as well.
View Quote
The stripped 10.3 barrels also come that way. Makes them a pleasure to deal with.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
I was curious about this...thank you!
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By cmcflex:

The stripped 10.3 barrels also come that way. Makes them a pleasure to deal with.
View Quote
Right on... good to know.

Originally Posted By smitty_007:

I was curious about this...thank you!
View Quote
The installation is very solid. Double dimpled and Loctite on the set screws - I can think of very few (if any) realistic scenarios in which the gas block would fail that wouldn't involve more or less the destruction of the RIS II.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#30]
The installation is very solid. Double dimpled and Loctite on the set screws - I can think of very few (if any) realistic scenarios in which the gas block would fail that wouldn't involve more or less the destruction of the RIS II.
View Quote
That’s awesome to know...between CD’s comment about the set screw Mk12 GB earlier, and your experience with the one on these new DD Brownell’s uppers, I’m not sweating it at all anymore.

Now if only the stars would align again with an increased Active Junky percentage and 10% off code while on sale so I can justify a second one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By smitty_007:

That’s awesome to know...between CD’s comment about the set screw Mk12 GB earlier, and your experience with the one on these new DD Brownell’s uppers, I’m not sweating it at all anymore.

Now if only the stars would align again with an increased Active Junky percentage and 10% off code while on sale so I can justify a second one.
View Quote
The highest I have seen the AJ discount on Brownells is 7%, and that was 10 or 11 months ago. A 10% brownells coupon + 7% or higher on the AJ and I too am a buyer.

But all of that doesn't matter since the uppers are on back order now. I hope that the new stock is still a lighter shade.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Mail man was good to me today

Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

https://i.imgur.com/hTRGBvJ.jpg
View Quote
Gawt damn that's beautiful!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
Dude. Contain yourself!
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:04:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#35]

View Quote
Nice, dude! Congrats on a rare piece of the clone puzzle.

For those of you running PRI M84 Gas Buster CHs, I'm wondering if this is abnormal wear. Both of these gas busters are within a couple hundred rounds of one another in terms of use and have been installed in various Colt uppers in 10.3" guns, unsuppressed. Besides some subtle manufacturing differences and markings, the one on the right not only has more surface wear along the top ridge, but in fact, it has gouging into the aluminum along that section which has created a small groove/shallow channel that I can catch my fingernail on. Something I should contact PRI about or this considered normal?

Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
Looks almost new.. .very nice!
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:

For those of you running PRI M84 Gas Buster CHs, I'm wondering if this is abnormal wear. Both of these gas busters have similar round counts on them and have been used in various Colt uppers in 10.3" guns, unsuppressed. Besides some subtle manufacturing differences and markings, the one on the right not only has more surface wear along the top ridge, but in fact, it has gouging into the aluminum along that section which has created a small groove/shallow channel that I can catch my fingernail on. Something I should contact PRI about or this considered normal?
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7856/40277936323_4974c6126a_c.jpg
View All Quotes

For those of you running PRI M84 Gas Buster CHs, I'm wondering if this is abnormal wear. Both of these gas busters have similar round counts on them and have been used in various Colt uppers in 10.3" guns, unsuppressed. Besides some subtle manufacturing differences and markings, the one on the right not only has more surface wear along the top ridge, but in fact, it has gouging into the aluminum along that section which has created a small groove/shallow channel that I can catch my fingernail on. Something I should contact PRI about or this considered normal?
Very strange. Looks more like the wear from the upper receiver. Pri might replace the gb though, so it may be worth it to contact them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#38]

For those of you running PRI M84 Gas Buster CHs, I'm wondering if this is abnormal wear. Both of these gas busters are within a couple hundred rounds of one another in terms of use and have been installed in various Colt uppers in 10.3" guns, unsuppressed. Besides some subtle manufacturing differences and markings, the one on the right not only has more surface wear along the top ridge, but in fact, it has gouging into the aluminum along that section which has created a small groove/shallow channel that I can catch my fingernail on. Something I should contact PRI about or this considered normal?

View All Quotes

Looks like something was caught in the upper. Lay it upside down and see if it has a bow in it, might be bent slightly.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Well, it all depends on the pressure/angle you use when charging, and how often you charge it (dry fire, etc.). But, it does seem to have a bit more wear in that area than you'd expect. Any burrs on the upper?

Of course, round count alone doesn't really indicate how many times you charge the weapon. That said, the FDE GB below has about 9k on it and only has the slight wear to the edge and the contact point on top:

Link Posted: 3/1/2019 7:11:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawdog-1] [#40]
Combat Diver, Please tell what are the Daniel Defense parts number for the 9.3" & 14.5" ? I would like to get my hands on DD SOCOM 14.5" Barrels and correct gasblocks for my M4A1 Builds.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Lawdog-1:
Combat Diver, Please tell what are the Daniel Defense parts number for the 9.3" & 14.5" ? I would like to get my hands on DD SOCOM 14.5" Barrels and correct gasblocks for my M4A1 Builds.
View Quote
Mk18 RIS II PN: DD-8020
M4A1 FSP RIS II PN: DD-8030
M4A1 RIS II PN: DD-8001-DE

CD
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Haven't even shot this in over a year, but the SOCOM RC finally got approved so here it is.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By azoutdoorsman:
Haven't even shot this in over a year, but the SOCOM RC finally got approved so here it is.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81153/20190228_202142-1470x3024_jpg-862472.JPG
View Quote
Looks sick.
Is that a colt stock?
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Pic dump from IG

Green Berets assigned to 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne) conduct a shooting drill during Flintlock 2019 in Atar, Mauritania. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Steven Lewis)
View Quote

Green Berets assigned to 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne) conduct shooting drills at a Mauritanian range in Atar, MR. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Steven Lewis)
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2019 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Pic dump from IG

U.S. Army Special Forces Soldiers with 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne) clear a room, during a multi-day joint training exercise. This training exercise focused on 1st SFG (A) Green Beret’s ability to execute lethal close quarter combat operations and small team interoperability. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Ian Ives)
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2019 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Pic dump from IG

A U.S. Army Special Forces Multi-Purpose Canine team in the Middle Euphrates River Valley's Deir Ezzor province, Syria. Coalition Forces are committed to defeating ISIS as they provide support and assistance to the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in the fight to eliminate the last ISIS stronghold. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Matthew Crane)
View Quote

A BOSS assigned to 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), takes aim at a range target, during the Best Operational Detachment Alpha Team competition at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. This event was one of several that the Green Berets took part in over 24 hours of competition. (Photo by Army Staff Sgt. Christopher Schmiett)
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#47]
A couple more

Green Berets from the 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) engages targets in an urban assault course during military working dog handler assessments on Fort Carson, Colorado. Military working dogs bring a critical non-lethal capability to special operations forces. Handlers are selected from within the units themselves and receive extensive additional training to master tasks before ever performing them with their canine partner. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. 1st Class Charles Crail)
View Quote

ok i'm done
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Thats a badass picture
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Can't tell what the rifle is for sure but the left most rifle in the first pic has a magpul sl stock I believe.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#50]
So are most guys running the SF m600 or m300 on their Block II?

What’s found most often in the wild on a Block II now...still the Insight?
Page / 1573
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1175 of 1573)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top