BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 520 of 1568)
Page / 1568
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:18:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#1]
I did a small search and they seemed expensive (m3X) Are they not making them anymore?  Midway shows them as "discontinued".  

I saw that you can do the tape switch with the TLR-1, although I'm not sure I want to go that route. At least you have the option to though.  

As far as the silver ring...  I mean REALLY?  It's a deal breaker?  I don't think it's something a sharpie or some krylon can't fix.

ETA pic thread:  

I'm running out of pertinent pics since they've all been posted on page 1000, but I thought this was a cool pic of Defoor with an interesting grip while prone......

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Top to bottom:

Surefire M951 with P60 xenon bulb rated at 60 lumens

Insight M3X LED long gun rated at 150+ lumens

Streamlight TLR-1 HL long gun rated at 630 lumens

Notice the spill and ambient light differences.

2015-09-22_07-09-13 by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr

2015-09-22_07-10-12 by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr

2015-09-22_07-09-54 by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr

2015-09-22_07-09-36 by azoutdoorsman, on Flickr

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:25:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanCheese] [#3]
That is an interesting comparison...but in keeping with my clone has AIDS build, I would rather run clone correct shit that doesn't work as well and costs twice as much (staying with M3x)  

MILSPEC, thanks for the heads up on the 4P, too bad I already purchased three of the SF3P and my Colt upper is already inbound pinned from ADCO!
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, thanks for the comparison.

Are we sure the HL doesn't practically blind you when employing????  It looks like it might almost daze you if you're half asleep.    Actually I'm being serious.  Is there such a thing as TOO bright?
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JJREA:
I did a small search and they seemed expensive (m3X) Are they not making them anymore?  Midway shows them as "discontinued".  

I saw that you can do the tape switch with the TLR-1, although I'm not sure I want to go that route. At least you have the option to though.  

As far as the silver ring...  I mean REALLY?  It's a deal breaker?  I don't think it's something a sharpie or some krylon can't fix.

View Quote

Yeah, it is for me. I'd be lying, (and you would be if you didn't agree) that no matter how much we choose one item over another based on function, aesthetics plays a small part in nearly all durable items.

The silver ring on the TLR-1/2 series is one of my very few cosmetic hang ups. Sorry to have offended your sensibilities.

Sharpie or Krylon wouldn't hold up to going into and coming out of a duty holster multiple times a day. Which is the only reason my lone TLR-1 remains unmolested.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Wow, thanks for the comparison.

Are we sure the HL doesn't practically blind you when employing????  It looks like it might almost daze you if you're half asleep.    Actually I'm being serious.  Is there such a thing as TOO bright?
View Quote
No, you point it at the floor in low ready position, and it lights up the room enough to ID a target. If you see a potential threat, raise up the weapon and light.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By AmericanCheese:

That is an interesting comparison...but in keeping with my clone has AIDS build, I would rather run clone correct shit that doesn't work as well and costs twice as much (staying with M3x)  

MILSPEC, thanks for the heads up on the 4P, too bad I already purchased three of the SF3P and my Colt upper is already inbound pinned from ADCO!
View Quote
Why do you think I own them all?

But since we've seen multiple TLR-1 in use, it's now clone correct. Just not SOPMOD.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#8]
there is such a thing as too much light. 200 lumens is PLENTY for indoors.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]

But since we've seen multiple TLR-1 in use, it's now clone correct. Just not SOPMOD.
View Quote

I'll drink to that. We each posted a pic. Who's gonna be the third??
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:
Yeah, it is for me. I'd be lying, (and you would be if you didn't agree) that no matter how much we choose one item over another based on function, aesthetics plays a small part in nearly all durable items.

The silver ring on the TLR-1/2 series is one of my very few cosmetic hang ups. Sorry to have offended your sensibilities.

Sharpie or Krylon wouldn't hold up to going into and coming out of a duty holster multiple times a day. Which is the only reason my lone TLR-1 remains unmolested.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If you use it on a rifle, a Butler Creek cap is nice.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By azoutdoorsman:
View All Quotes

On a G22 unfortunately. However I do like each of your suggestions for getting rid of the ring on a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By 10Point3:

View Quote
If you use the tactic I mentioned above, there's no such thing as too much light.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:49:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#13]
View Quote

I want as much light as I can get. I didn't know that you could tell individuals to stay inside because you don't have enough light to ID them 100 feet down an alley way.

I'll try that sometime.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#14]

On a G22 unfortunately. However I do like each of your suggestions for getting rid of the ring on a rifle.
View All Quotes

Yeah, I get the holstering/unholstering. Sell the TLR if you don't like it. No point in keeping it if it's not in use. Unless you spray paint it and put it on your C4 FSB rail carbine!

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 7:57:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#15]
Yeah, I get the holstering/unholstering. Sell the TLR if you don't like it. No point in keeping it if it's not in use. Unless you spray paint it and put it on your C4 FSB rail carbine!  
View All Quotes

It's issued. That's the only reason I haven't gotten rid of It lol.

I keep it on rather than wear one of my other lights unnecessarily without getting any practical gain over the TLR. If it gets smashed or fucked up, I'm not out any cash.

I added a black M3X long gun version (with tape switch) to my C4 FSP.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#16]

I want as much light as I can get. I didn't know that you could tell individuals to stay inside because you don't have enough light to ID them 100 feet down an alley way.

I'll try that sometime.
View All Quotes

I'll try that sometime.

if thats your requirement, then get enough light for it. but indoors, too much light will work against you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Nothing hurts my brain/ears more than reading/hearing "blaster" or "real steel"....
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:08:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H1H0AG] [#18]
ETA....Stupid interwebs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:09:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#19]

if thats your requirement, then get enough light for it. but indoors, too much light will work against you.
View All Quotes

I'll try that sometime.

That hasn't been my experience, but alright. Agree to disagree.

I've always found myself wishing I had more light lol.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#20]
That pesky silver ring is somewhere in there.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:14:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nameless_Hobo] [#21]
It's a shame nobody makes a dropin for the M3X. It would be a nice light if it kept up with Streamlight or Surefire in lumens.
I have to agree with Dontburyme, I find myself wishing my M300B was brighter, even indoors. More lumens doesn't always translate into excessive, fiery hot corona.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

I'll try that sometime.

I feel the same way.  I can't remember a time when I went into a room and thought "I wish my light was only 100 lumens...."  But to each their own, which is likely why the variety is so huge.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Come to think of it, I need the LED upgrade for one of my M3x lights, but can't find any.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Come to think of it, I need the LED upgrade for one of my M3x lights, but can't find any.
View Quote

Midway has them in stock supposedly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AstraPat:

http://i.imgur.com/DMVXk5G.jpg
View Quote

if the ring is recessed, then it shouldnt be making contact with the holster on the draw, and whatever you put in there should stay on pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Then yell at Aziz to wake up....

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Is $300 a good price for a SF4P?
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Thanks I checked....discontinued
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#29]
In my opinion the 952V is a good option for indoors and alley ways.

What I mean is it's plenty good for indoors, not overpowering. (The 500 lumen spill lights ive used are too bright for indoor use IMO, it's overpowering/blinding.)

And with it's medium output the 952V has a very far reach and just enough spill for my liking. The reach on it impresses me for only being 150 lumens, if anything could be improved on with the 952V IMO it would be more spill without sacrificing reach, which would only be possible with higher output. And the I.R. output of the 952V is also very good from watching vids/TNVC pics etc, and it's what I'll be using when my PVS14 is up and running.

Of course this is all just my opinion and I know there are others in here that think the 952V is a POS. But on this subject I have the same beliefs as 10.3. I think it's a balancing act between wants as high output as you can get for outdoors, which aren't the best option for indoors
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:52:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#30]

View All Quotes

Shit.

MILSPEC, that's why you point it down at the low ready while you search and use the spill.  That's exactly what we are taught to do.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:54:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#31]
Originally Posted By OilfieldTrash78:
View Quote

no...

But then again, there is no real supply of them, so....  cloners gonna clone.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#32]

if the ring is recessed, then it shouldnt be making contact with the holster on the draw, and whatever you put in there should stay on pretty good.
View All Quotes

The ring on mine is flush if not slightly proud. Small contact area on the bottom with a KT-Mech holster. I give no flying fucks, though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#34]

The ring on mine is flush if not slightly proud. Small contact area on the bottom with a KT-Mech holster. I give no flying fucks, though.
View All Quotes

Is that a pilot joke? Flying fucks? Eh? Eh?
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, that didn't take long

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_22/1472777_Daniel_Defense_RIS_II_FSP_Rails.html
View Quote

I hope nobody buys a single one. Post it in the M4A1 thread as well. I can't fucking stand people that do that shit here.

Ebay it's whatever, but for some reason it bothers me when done on this EE.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Lol, si si..
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By OilfieldTrash78:
View Quote

Good price is subjective as there isn't much of a supply on em', they were never released for civilian sale. The last one we saw sold for 500.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

I hope nobody buys a single one. Post it in the M4A1 thread as well. I can't fucking stand people that do that shit here.

View All Quotes

He lowered the price....He originally had them listed at $325..
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:02:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#39]

View All Quotes

Capitalism.

ETA: Ethically a shit thing to do IMHO. But that's what our economy is based on. Hopefully the free market regulates his ass.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Capitalism.

ETA: Ethically a shit thing to do IMHO. But that's what our economy is based on. Hopefully the free market regulates his ass.
View All Quotes

Capitalism.

You and i should start a militia.

#TheRegulators

1-800-CLONETHREADCRIMESTOPPERS
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Capitalism.

View All Quotes

Capitalism.

Greed is good according to Gordan Gecko....good thing Michael Douglas doesn't build clones!!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone ever inadvertently post shit in the wrong thread? I dicked-up the M4 B2 thread with a pic meant for here. I edited the post, but not sure how to delete/replace pic.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:27:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanCheese] [#43]
No biggy....we're all clone whores.  The Mk12 guys are a little more uptight however!
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#44]
No biggy....we're all clone whores.  The Mk12 guys are a little more uptight however!
View Quote

...he said, having apparently never seen my avatar...
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

I'll try that sometime.

A 60watt light bulb is around 800 lumens. Most people have at least that in each room of their home.

Lumens and candela are different. A light with 500 lumens and 20,000 candela is going to have an extremely bright hotspot that throws a long way. A 500 lumen light with 8,000 candela is going to be a wall of light. Lumens measures the total output, candela measures the peak output/brightness.

Surefire scouts have a high candela rating and are more focused with a bright hotspot that throws a long way. An M600U is a good example. Conversely, the M600P Fury has a higher lumen rating, but is less focused and has a lower candela rating, which translates into a shorter throw.

Making a blanket statement that 200 lumens is too much for inside is just plain wrong. It matters how focused the output is, and the techniques used when using the light. There are plenty of lights with over 200 lumens that work great inside, and the TLR-1 HL is an example.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#46]
A 60watt light bulb is around 800 lumens. Most people have at least that in each room of their home.    

Lumens and candela are different. A light with 500 lumens and 20,000 candela is going to have an extremely bright hotspot that throws a long way. A 500 lumen light with 8,000 candela is going to be a wall of light. Lumens measures the total output, candela measures the peak output/brightness.

Surefire scouts have a high candela rating and are more focused with a bright hotspot that throws a long way. An M600U is a good example. Conversely, the M600P Fury has a higher lumen rating, but is less focused and has a lower candela rating, which translates into a shorter throw.

Making a blanket statement that 200 lumens is too much for inside is just plain wrong. It matters how focused the output is, and the techniques used when using the light. There are plenty of lights with over 200 lumens that work great inside, and the TLR-1 HL is an example.
View All Quotes

I'll try that sometime.

I was just going to send him to the Welcome Mat at CPF, but that works.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
I had some smart remark about my incandescent M3X serving my tactical needs...lighting my way to the beer fridge without turning the garage lights on. Fail!

The incan is pretty lame outside though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

I do it all the time. Sometimes shit like that sits forever. Sometimes it doesn't. Can't force people to buy anything, it's free will.

I've bought stuff that I know is more than what I could have bought it for a few months earlier.

Hell, all you tards selling/paying 4x retail for the 4 prong Surefire flash hiders are just as guilty.

Let's be honest with ourselves. This is just a hobby and none of us NEED any of these specific parts. The market sets the price. That's what makes us better than the North Koreans.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:40:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanCheese] [#49]
I would agree with you but in regards to the SF4P's, they weren't just selling for a fraction of the price a week earlier.  Paying a mark up for something that isn't even available anywhere is at least in my opinion different than just flipping merchandise to make a quick profit.  I found a stash of PRI Gas Busters for $60 and hooked up 10 members in here at cost, and didn't make a cent for my troubles.  I could have just bought them all, and listed them for $75 in EE but I'm not interested in squeezing the turnip truck dry.  Meeting and sharing similar interests with fellow gun enthusiasts is what I'm about.  I'm a firm believer in karma too, and what goes around comes around.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I would agree with you but in regards to the SF4P's, they weren't just selling for a fraction of the price a week earlier.  Paying a mark up for something that isn't even available anywhere is at least in my opinion different than just flipping merchandise to make a quick profit.  I found a stash of PRI Gas Busters for $60 and hooked up 10 members in here at cost, and didn't make a cent for my troubles.  I could have just bought them all, and listed them for $75 in EE but I'm not interested in squeezing the turnip truck dry. Meeting and sharing similar interests with fellow gun enthusiasts is what I'm about.  I'm a firm believer in karma too, and what goes around comes around.  
View Quote

That's an interesting idiom lol.
Page / 1568
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 520 of 1568)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top