Page / 1573
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Still no source.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:37:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: footsoldier9th] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKDoc:
Anybody running a Griffin M4SDk or M4SD series suppressor on a Mod 1. I have a brownells mk18 upper. Test fit my hammer comp today. Seems even with all the included shims and overtravel stop I'm just shy of latch gate screws clearing rail. Might just use a second over travel stop as a spacer. Anybody else have this setup or maybe another griffin muzzle device with more clearance?
View Quote
I just purchased an M4SD II, but the suppressor is in jail. I wont have an answer for 6-8 months. Will put it on my CQBR and Mod 0. Sorry I'm not any help. I would just contact Griffin Armament.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:38:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NickOTime] [#3]
Sorry for opening old wounds guys. Really didn't mean to derail the thread like that.  I'll take some new mk18/cqbr pics tomorrow and post them as atonement.

Now can we get back to lmt issued 10.5 uppers and gas port sizeing?  seriously kidding sorry for my morbid sense of humor.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:50:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: carmodyh] [#4]
Originally Posted By footsoldier9th:
I just purchased an M4SD II, but the suppressor is in jail. I wont have an answer for 6-8 months. Will put it on my CQBR and Mod 0. Sorry I'm not any help. I would just contact Griffin Armament.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Anybody running a Griffin M4SDk or M4SD series suppressor on a Mod 1. I have a brownells mk18 upper. Test fit my hammer comp today. Seems even with all the included shims and overtravel stop I'm just shy of latch gate screws clearing rail. Might just use a second over travel stop as a spacer. Anybody else have this setup or maybe another griffin muzzle device with more clearance?
You'll need to shim that bitch out a little more. Below are some pics of my MK18 Mod 0 without the over travel stop and a hammer comp and a 14.5 inch build with the flash comp and over travel stop and some shims. the gate screws protrude as far as pictured, so If you can shim it out enough past where the muzzle device starts, you should clear the RIS. its going to be mad close though. You could always order one of those silencer co spacers if you wanted as well.

hope this helps!

also, the hammer comp didn't last long on my mk18... I went back to an A2 because that hammer comp will rattle your teeth like a hammer I guess... also, for those of you that own or have an M4SD II in jail, try your A2 birdcages for compatibility, I'm 50/50 on success with A2s. I only mention this because I wouldn't want yall pinning an A2 muzzle device only to discover that the latch wont close. Just FYI.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
Looks good. How's the HK Upper looking?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. I might just use another stack of sims and see where I get. Guess no issues using that many. I might even have a unused sico spacer somewhere. I might also check with GA to see if other muzzle device might give more clearance.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TNW:

Looks good. How's the HK Upper looking?
View Quote
Still looking retarded with the 552, lol.

" />
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks. I might just use another stack of sims and see where I get. Guess no issues using that many. I might even have a unused sico spacer somewhere. I might also check with GA to see if other muzzle device might give more clearance.
View Quote
please let me know what they say. I'll be in the same boat.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By carmodyh:

You'll need to shim that bitch out a little more. Below are some pics of my MK18 Mod 0 without the over travel stop and a hammer comp and a 14.5 inch build with the flash comp and over travel stop and some shims. the gate screws protrude as far as pictured, so If you can shim it out enough past where the muzzle device starts, you should clear the RIS. its going to be mad close though. You could always order one of those silencer co spacers if you wanted as well.

hope this helps!

also, the hammer comp didn't last long on my mk18... I went back to an A2 because that hammer comp will rattle your teeth like a hammer I guess... also, for those of you that own or have an M4SD II in jail, try your A2 birdcages for compatibility, I'm 50/50 on success with A2s. I only mention this because I wouldn't want yall pinning an A2 muzzle device only to discover that the latch wont close. Just FYI.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/365058/FullSizeRender-304508.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/365058/IMG_6691_2-304509.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/365058/IMG_6692-304510.JPG
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up. I have A2's currently on the both barrels could always swap them out if needed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:48:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#11]
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:
And, here's the link...again:

DD "SOCOM" Upper - Click - this is what I call a clue
View Quote
Man o' man I don't know if I want to fan the flames or not. :) but I am genuinely interested.  I don't have a DD MK18 upper, both mine are ColtFlakes, as was so eloquently put :).  But I wouldn't hesitate to pick up one of those Brownell's DD MK18 uppers, esp since DD has sized the gas port down and the pricing is so good.

But, the linked page doesn't show anything pertaining to being issued, just that DD built a MK18 upper "to USSOCOM standards".  Kind of like FN built the FN-9 striker fired pistol for Military contract submission, but that doesn't mean we actually bought any or any are in theater other than evaluation/testing samples.  So from that link, we can gather that DD built an upper to USSOCOM Standards, and labeled it as such, but that is all we get from that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JohnnySasaki20:

Still looking retarded with the 552, lol.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4338/37014404931_f658360411_h.jpg" target="_blank">https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4338/37014404931_f658360411_h.jpg
View Quote
The Geissele rail is sick.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know the cheapest place to get an ATPIAL-C these days?  Rhymes with "Charms Inhibited" seems to have the best price . . .
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By daojag:
Anyone know the cheapest place to get an ATPIAL-C these days?  Rhymes with "Charms Inhibited" seems to have the best price . . .
View Quote
There are two for sale in the EE that are both cheaper than AU. One of them is unopened.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#15]
FYI Griffin got back to me on m4sdk mounting. They said A2 might have a tiny bit more clearance but using more shims or another stop washer as a spacer would be easiest.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:10:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mister_Donut] [#16]
View Quote
One just popped up on a Canadian EE for $2,000, used, and Rebel Rouser mentioned on another forum that he saw a trashed one sell for $3,000 recently.

I want it, but not sure the wife would be happy with me clearing rooms with it at home.  There aren’t any local ranges that have night events, and we can’t hunt with ARs (basically, we’re only allowed to use ARs at a certified gun range).

It’s kind of sad that the kids that play airsoft will actually be able to put these sort of NV devices to use , when real firearms owners can’t.  And I’ve seen them spend huge dollars on this sort of stuff for their games.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Mister_Donut:

One just popped up on a Canadian EE for $2,000, used, and Rebel Rouser mentioned on another forum that he saw a trashed one sell for $3,000 recently.

I want it, but not sure the wife would be happy with me clearing rooms with it at home.  There aren’t any local ranges that have night events, and we can’t hunt with ARs (basically, we’re only allowed to use ARs at a certified gun range).

It’s kind of sad that the kids that play airsoft will actually be able to put these sort of NV devices to use , when real firearms owners can’t.  And I’ve seen them spend huge dollars on this sort of stuff for their games.
View Quote
damn, that sux.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
Wow, that's rough.  I think at $3,000 I'd just go buy a SCAR 17 instead.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:50:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jlgil73] [#19]
Here is the latest pick of my Block 1.  Let me know what you OG clone guys think and rate its clone worthiness...  

Noveske Milspec Forged A2 Lower
KAC AMBI Selector and Mag release
A2 Grip
LMT Gen 1 Sopmod
QCD EndPlate

Colt URG from a 6920 with Barrel Chopped to 10.3 by Adco and gas port opened to .070.  
PRI GasBuster CH
Matech BUIS
Aimpoint Comp M2 with QRP Mount
KAC RAS, VFG, and rail covers
KAC M4QD Flash hider
Peq 2a
Surefire M962

Accessorized with a set of PVS7s with a Gen 3 Thin-Film auto-gated tube.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Jlgil73:
Here is the latest pick of my Block 1.  Let me know what you OG clone guys think and rate its clone worthiness...  

A2 Grip
LMT Gen 1 Sopmod
QCD EndPlate

Colt URG from a 6920 with Barrel Chopped to 10.3 by Adco and gas port opened to .070.  
PRI GasBuster CH
Matech BUIS
KAC M4QD Flash hider
Peq 2a
Surefire M962

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4437/36980028146_48bb480ac7_o.jpg
View Quote
Looking good! Just need a NT4 now
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By sbye:

Looking good! Just need a NT4 now
View Quote
In jail!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:
It gets old seeing you always claim these sources and never posting them. Glad to see nothing has changed in terms of you posting out your ass.
View All Quotes

Yes. DD has supplied COMPLETE uppers. To the mil. The link to their mil/gov uppers has even been posted in this thread on a few occasions. There are no DD markings on anything - the receiver, BCG, etc. DD has even personally confirmed this. Things never seem to change around here, though. The "powers ()" that be just can't have their narrative of one brand to rule them all destroyed. So, you'll keep tuning into CNN bias news until then.
It gets old seeing you always claim these sources and never posting them. Glad to see nothing has changed in terms of you posting out your ass.
Hes right though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By B5Systems:
Hes right though.
View All Quotes

Yes. DD has supplied COMPLETE uppers. To the mil. The link to their mil/gov uppers has even been posted in this thread on a few occasions. There are no DD markings on anything - the receiver, BCG, etc. DD has even personally confirmed this. Things never seem to change around here, though. The "powers ()" that be just can't have their narrative of one brand to rule them all destroyed. So, you'll keep tuning into CNN bias news until then.
Hes right though.
Wasn't there a DD rep (or someone with inside info associated with DD) who posted in the last Mk18 thread that commented on this? I seem to recall him alluding to the fact that there were in fact DD URGs in use by SOCOM.

Or maybe I'm crazy and that didn't actually happen.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:
Wasn't there a DD rep (or someone with inside info associated with DD) who posted in the last Mk18 thread that commented on this? I seem to recall him alluding to the fact that there were in fact DD URGs in use by SOCOM.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

Hes right though.

You aren't crazy. It's true. Unfortunately, the truth only matters in here when it fits the narrative of the small fraternity that this thread has long become.

Even after a guy that works for the company that supplies stocks to SOCOM says I'm right, it still will mean nothing to them. General Mattis himself could come in here and confirm what we've already known for years, and it still wouldn't be enough.

As I'll keep saying...the Coltflakes can think whatever they want. Complete DD CQBR uppers have been fielded.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#25]

A2 Grip
LMT Gen 1 Sopmod
QCD EndPlate

PRI GasBuster CH
Matech BUIS
KAC M4QD Flash hider
Peq 2a
Surefire M962

View Quote
Other than the laundry bag, I just got wood...  Nice build.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Here it is - page 6 of this thread - from Iceman:

"Best advice on the MK18 that I can offer-

This thing is a finicky beast. We have built 10's of thousands of them. When I see a problem it usually has to do with extraction issues. Buy a high quality bolt and carrier and make sure you have an O-ring. it is a $.10 fix. Other than that gas port sizes matter somewhat but you can get reliable feeding suppressed and un-suppressed in a wide range. Oh and one final teaser for you clone builders-(and I am not trying to sell anything, just providing information for the "clonies")- you could buy a DD Barrel or a complete DD MK18 URG and have an actual as issued "correct" clone. These do exist "in the wild" and would be exactly "as issued"
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
Lol, which is also prohib in Kanadastan
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes

WHUT!?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm sure they exist as one off purchases in the wild. Like I am sure someone has somewhere used an AAC suppressor on a CQBR. But I can find pictures of prototype nightforce scopes on CAG rifles easier than finding a DD supplied upper receiver in any photos, or by any of the few armorers that frequent this page or other groups around cloning.

All I want is a photo.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:08:27 AM EDT
[#30]
What's the proper size for gas port? 0.80?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:43:27 AM EDT
[#31]
How the heck are we going to identify a DD URG in a pic? They look just like any other milspec URG. Not to mention, DD CQBR URGs have gotta be just a fraction of what's in use right now. Come on, let's be realistic here.

And all the known info on this subject strongly suggests that this was far from just one upper purchased at just one point.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#32]
If DD did sell complete uppers to SOCOM, they still wouldn't be what you could buy as the FH is totally different source.  I did replace one ODA team members AAC FH on a 14.5" for a SF4P (CIF unit, different funds)

CD
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TheGreatDanton:
What's the proper size for gas port? 0.80?
View Quote
.80" gas port would be huge lol

.070"
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Every time I hear .70 or .80 gas port .

This is a .07" gas port:
Attachment Attached File

This is a .70" gas port:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#35]

A2 Grip
LMT Gen 1 Sopmod
QCD EndPlate

PRI GasBuster CH
Matech BUIS
KAC M4QD Flash hider
Peq 2a
Surefire M962

View Quote
Looks mean as hell.  how do you like the pvs-7?  thinking of getting one as a loner.... thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

This is a .07" gas port:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/138579/-305464.JPG

This is a .70" gas port:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/138579/-305465.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DwayneHicks:

Looks mean as hell.  how do you like the pvs-7?  thinking of getting one as a loner.... thanks
View Quote
Thanks, I guess because I did an OG Block I instead of a II (in the works) folks don't comment on it very much.  

On the PVS-7s, I haven't even looked through anything else, so i have nothing to compare it to, but, they are awesome.  I got it off of EE from User Tech-Com that sells Gen 3 thin filmed autogated units.  I'm thrilled with the purchase.  I picked them up thinking the same thing.  Id start with these since they are relatively cheap, and then later buy something better to have these for friends.  Now, I don't think Id upgrade to anything other than white phosphor Sentinals, because it cant be that much better IMO (but, I havent looked through them).  Before I bought from the user named, I emailed others that bought them from him and all were happy.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I need your help, my friends. I pulled the trigger on a M4A1 stamped Colt lower a few weeks ago + I want to go ahead and submit my F1 paperwork. What OAL did you folks put on your forum? I plan on running a NT4 FH/NT4 on this particular setup.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Cartel-:
I need your help, my friends. I pulled the trigger on a M4A1 stamped Colt lower a few weeks ago + I want to go ahead and submit my F1 paperwork. What OAL did you folks put on your forum? I plan on running a NT4 FH/NT4 on this particular setup.
View Quote
The flash hider doesn't count toward the OAL, but the extended stock does. I think I put 29" or 29.5" on mine. As long as it's close it doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

This is a .07" gas port:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/138579/-305464.JPG

This is a .70" gas port:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/138579/-305465.JPG
View Quote

It cycles everything............but accuracy is shit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#41]
The flash hider doesn't count toward the OAL, but the extended stock does. I think I put 29" or 29.5" on mine. As long as it's close it doesn't really matter.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cartel-:
Yup. Pretty sure mine was in that range.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
If DD did sell complete uppers to SOCOM, they still wouldn't be what you could buy as the FH is totally different source.  I did replace one ODA team members AAC FH on a 14.5" for a SF4P (CIF unit, different funds)

CD
View Quote
Well, DD's "Mk18 Stripped SOCOM" URGs come minus a FH, BCG or CH. Could be what was being referenced by "complete URG", but that quote suggesting you could buy complete off-the-shelf commercial DD URGs and have what may have been issued to SOCOM was a bit misleading (or just overly optimistic). Especially back when commercial offerings were .082. I'd assume if there were ever any DD uppers in issued circulation they would've been in the form of the .070 stripped SOCOM URGs being sold now.

On a related note, back when all DD commercial barrels were .082, there were some "contract overrun" .070 spec barrels available at one time. Does anyone know who exactly that contract was with?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#43]
All those .070 contract overrun barrels are yet another obvious clue.

The CQBR uppers DD supplies SOCOM are complete with BCG and CH, they just don't have a muzzle device - so a 4P, NT4, etc, is later installed. They're stripped of logos. They look just like any other milspec CQBR upper.

There may be some new folks involved in this topic currently, but again, this has all been known for years at this point. It shouldn't even have to come back up for debate. It's nothing like the LMT uppers. Nothing at all. We're dealing with multiple batch purchases of uppers that have been fielded. Recently.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#44]
One thing I'll put out if the uppers went to Crane for issue, Crane has installed serial numbers along the sides before issuing out.

CD
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#45]
One thing I'll put out if the uppers went to Crane for issue, Crane has installed serial numbers along the sides before issuing out.

CD
View Quote
Of course they do/did.

Just mentioning how Crane initially receives them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#46]

The CQBR uppers DD supplies SOCOM are complete with BCG and CH, they just don't have a muzzle device - so a 4P, NT4, etc, is later installed. They're stripped of logos. They look just like any other milspec CQBR upper.

There may be some new folks involved in this topic currently, but again, this has all been known for years at this point. It shouldn't even have to come back up for debate. It's nothing like the LMT uppers. Nothing at all. We're dealing with multiple batch purchases of uppers that have been fielded. Recently.
View All Quotes

Obviously some feel the subject isn't settled. Personally, I don't have any great vested interest in it one way or the other; I just find the subject interesting. I would've purchased my DD Mk18 SOCOM URG either way. I don't see any reason people need become upset over the issue. It's not as if clones built on Colt upper receivers/barrels really lose anything should it be true - they're still obviously correct. Although, I suppose all the effort to scratch build an upper and have a Colt barrel cut would lose some "elite status" if you can just purchase an off the shelf DD Mk18 SOCOM upper and be 100% correct, lol. The available evidence seems to point fairly convincingly to the conclusion that DD URGs were or are in use in some form by SOCOM. Perhaps not in any great quantity, but it's reasonable to suppose it's true. I don't see any reason it need be so contentious to discuss it.

How do you know for certain that the uppers included BCG and CH? Was that stated specifically by a DD rep, or was it just confirmed that DD uppers (in whatever configuration) are fielded by SOCOM? I would assume that if they were supplied complete minus a muzzle device, DD would have sourced their CHs from PRI and not used their own.

CD
Also, wouldn't a DD supplied upper be minus the Colt "C" marking? I'm going off the supposition that Colt upper receivers supplied to the military have the "C" mark. I suppose if you ever come across a CQBR upper with just a forge mark and no "C" during a rebuild, that would be pretty strong evidence.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#47]
After 8 months of waiting here are my two builds. My CQBR and Mk18. Still little things to change here and there.

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Even if there are USGI Daniel Defense uppers, the ones that are for sale commercially have laser etching and a pinned other than Mk12 gas block.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Well...that sucked, I'll try and figure this out
View Quote
Try using imgur.com .  You don't even need an account if you don't want to sign up.
Page / 1573
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 910 of 1573)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top