Page / 208
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
New MK6 for the 14.5

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:
The local 600yd range is about done, debating on going back to the NX8 to have a little more fun past 400. Was debating on an atacr but I think it's gonna be over kill price wise on this rig.

The Steiner is just so good at 1x. I'm torn.
View Quote

If it makes you feel better, I just sold my Steiner.  Had to offset another mk4 leupy.

I'm a long range junkie lol
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Always. I think I'm settled on the 6.5 at least now ha. Finally having a membership to a range that's got 600 is changing things.
View Quote

Nice seem's like the Vortex was a good choice.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:13:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StevethePirate] [#4]
Personal take on an updated Mk12

14.5" Centurion CHF middy
14" PRI Gen3
RazorIII

Still needs a light and a backup sighting system, leaning toward offset 507c or a viz laser.

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By StevethePirate:

14" PRI Gen3
RazorIII

Still needs a light and a backup sighting system, leaning toward offset 507c or a viz laser.

https://i.imgur.com/tpc09bB.jpg
View Quote

How do you like the gen III razor?
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Might be the best overall scope I've ever used. Previous favorite was the Kahles K16i.

Eye box is a little tight at 10x but what do you expect from a 10x range...

Illumination is superb, bright in direct sun even not on max setting. Glass and eye box seems better than the Razor II.

The hype seems very justified.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Might be the best overall scope I've ever used. Previous favorite was the Kahles K16i.

Eye box is a little tight at 10x but what do you expect from a 10x range...

Illumination is superb, bright in direct sun even not on max setting. Glass and eye box seems better than the Razor II.

The hype seems very justified.
View Quote

If the low-end eye box is better in this than the Razor 1-6 I need to start saving pennies.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Its marginal, but my untrained eye says it is better. I dont know if I'd dump a razor ii e for one if I dodnt need the extra 4x, but buying new, hell yeah I'd take the III over the II E
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Its marginal, but my untrained eye says it is better. I dont know if I'd dump a razor ii e for one if I dodnt need the extra 4x, but buying new, hell yeah I'd take the III over the II E
View Quote

I'm not getting rid of the 1-6x on my 5.56 upper, but one of these days I'll be doing a Grendel version of what I've got. 1-10x might be good for that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ehudbengera:

I'm not getting rid of the 1-6x on my 5.56 upper, but one of these days I'll be doing a Grendel version of what I've got. 1-10x might be good for that.
View Quote
An 11.5-12.5" 6.5G with 10 power sounds absolutely perfect
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Swapped things around goofing off today…I like it but the you know I ain't changing this thing:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
An 11.5-12.5" 6.5G with 10 power sounds absolutely perfect
View Quote

If I didnt already have a Kahles on my 12.5, I'd get a Razor 3
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:14:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#13]
Criterion 12.5 greatness

I took the time to lap the receiver face and bed the barrel. Muzzle brake is perfectly timed and it just went together perfectly. Vltor A5 buffer system, ALG ACT with SOLGW LPK. Colt upper receiver. Turned out great.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:57:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Original plan was to put this scope on the 11.5" upper, but this will do until I get a few things moved around.

Really like this scope, even if it is a heavy sumbitch.

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:37:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Keylows] [#16]
Poor Bois Aem5. (Real ones still pending)
14.5 barrel with a F1 that reflexes ~4in on the barrel.

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#17]
NX8 inbound. Pretty pumped. Almost went atacr but came to my senses!
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#18]
NX8 inbound. Pretty pumped. Almost went atacr but came to my senses!
View Quote

Nx8 is always the answer
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:
Poor Bois Aem5. (Real ones still pending)
14.5 barrel with a F1 that reflexes ~4in on the barrel.
https://i.imgur.com/QZlC9fG.jpg
View Quote

DUDE!   Who makes that RDS ring mount?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:30:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#20]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:

Nx8 is always the answer
View Quote

Steiner 1x will be missed. But very excited to get back to a mil/mil scope for .223. Wish someone made a ss barrel with the m4 step in 12.5".
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Turbo_Kill3r:
DUDE!   Who makes that RDS ring mount?
View Quote

It was part of a kit for L3/Insight's Mrds.
Guy on Tacswap was selling a good amount of them, not sure if they are still around though.

L3 Sniper Quick Fire Sight is the full name.

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#22]

14" PRI Gen3
RazorIII

https://i.imgur.com/tpc09bB.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ehudbengera:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/441788/33F611AC-D737-4BB0-8109-4E574A5BE3D4_jpe-1365949.JPG

Swapped things around goofing off today…I like it but the you know I ain't changing this thing:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/441788/77769472-9904-4108-A038-A640E0D43306_jpe-1365950.JPG
View Quote

That's like some BHD setup that was hiding in the back corner of the arms room that someone found and slapped some new glass on.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#24]
just got this 300blk barrel back from a chop and MRP conversion

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:12:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Partial breakdown shot of the 12.5", this mod button really helps streamline things up front.

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By slim0428:
Partial breakdown shot of the 12.5", this mod button really helps streamline things up front.

https://i.imgur.com/fyiT8sJ.jpg?1
View Quote

Where did you find a Mk16 rail to fit perfectly with a 12.5”?  That is a fantastic set up!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Playing around, don’t know if I really like this Set Up or not.. Maybe because of the Rings say a LT104/204 or ADM..??

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Nx8 is always the answer
View Quote

@SDMF_Rebel What makes you prefer the NX8 to something like the Razor HD? Seen a lot of complaints about the NF.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By minion42:

@SDMF_Rebel What makes you prefer the NX8 to something like the Razor HD? Seen a lot of complaints about the NF.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nx8 is always the answer

The reticle is #1.  Size and weight are #2.

I was an nx8 skeptic.  Comparing it to the Razor side by side, the razor appears to blow it away.  Start throwing lead at distance and the nx8 comes to life.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#31]

I was an nx8 skeptic.  Comparing it to the Razor side by side, the razor appears to blow it away.  Start throwing lead at distance and the nx8 comes to life.
View Quote

Very very interesting! Most complaints I've heard and personal recommendations against it cite the reticle as the biggest downside, particularly at distance!

Definitely can't beat it on size and weight.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By RustedAce:

Reticle is good for distance, the reticle is good for up close speed. The only thing it sucks at is shooting tiny groups at 100m.

I honestly think bench shooting at 100m is where a lot of the complaints come from, I really dont like mine for that personally.

Love it for practical shooting.

View Quote

Is the eyebox as tight as everyone says it is? That's what I like most about the razor, it's pretty easy to find no matter what.

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Very very interesting! Most complaints I've heard and personal recommendations against it cite the reticle as the biggest downside, particularly at distance!

View All Quotes

I'd wager it's coming from people who either don't shoot at distance, or suck at distance.

I heard lots of "hold at distance because the dot is too big".  On an 18" plate at 500yds the dot is no where near too big - I dial and use the dot.

Disclaimer - I hold steadier with a fine dot as opposed to fine crosshair.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:12:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#35]
Originally Posted By htomeheb:

Is the eyebox as tight as everyone says it is? That's what I like most about the razor, it's pretty easy to find no matter what.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By htomeheb:

Reticle is good for distance, the reticle is good for up close speed. The only thing it sucks at is shooting tiny groups at 100m.

I honestly think bench shooting at 100m is where a lot of the complaints come from, I really dont like mine for that personally.

Love it for practical shooting.

Yes and no.

The razor spoiled everyone with an eyebox that would forgive all sins and let you forget all the basics of proper cheek weld.

If you set the nx8 properly; as in when you set your cheekweld with eyes closed, open them, and you're in the eyebox, then you won't have any problems.  Again, this is a case of being behind the gun vs playing with the optic in your hands.  Playing with it in your hands the reaction is "holy fuck, this thing is a straw".  Mounted on your gun with good cheekweld, no issue.

Like I said, when I first got my nx8, I thought it was a 15 year old shitbox of dated tech.  Now?  I'm completely in love and don't miss my razors one bit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Yep, mounting is main issue, lots of people seem to have just thrown it on there with no regards for their normal head placement.

On distance I normally hold instead of dial, and Ive heard people even complain the lines were too thick. However I have no problem hitting 8in plate at 500m with gun pictured above.
View All Quotes

If you set the nx8 properly; as in when you set your cheekweld with eyes closed, open them, and you're in the eyebox, then you won't have any problems.  Again, this is a case of being behind the gun vs playing with the optic in your hands.  Playing with it in your hands the reaction is "holy fuck, this thing is a straw".  Mounted on your gun with good cheekweld, no issue.

Yep, mounting is main issue, lots of people seem to have just thrown it on there with no regards for their normal head placement.

On distance I normally hold instead of dial, and Ive heard people even complain the lines were too thick. However I have no problem hitting 8in plate at 500m with gun pictured above.

I'd love to hit the 8" plate LOL.  Every single time I go to the range there's a 20mph cross wind.  I swear it's a wind tunnel.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By BMad316:

Where did you find a Mk16 rail to fit perfectly with a 12.5”?  That is a fantastic set up!
View Quote

I had one cut down.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#40]

I'd love to hit the 8" plate LOL.  Every single time I go to the range there's a 20mph cross wind.  I swear it's a wind tunnel.
View All Quotes

I have the same problem.  

ND is windy as is, but my range has a bit of a valley between the firing line and the steel beyond 200y, with a hill shielding the firing line from a portion of the wind.  It can get a bit tricky when your position is experiencing light winds but halfway to the target the projectile could be seeing 20-30mph gusts.  Full silhouettes at 500y are pretty easy, anything smaller is.......challenging.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By RJeff21:

I have the same problem.  

ND is windy as is, but my range has a bit of a valley between the firing line and the steel beyond 200y, with a hill shielding the firing line from a portion of the wind.  It can get a bit tricky when your position is experiencing light winds but halfway to the target the projectile could be seeing 20-30mph gusts.  Full silhouettes at 500y are pretty easy, anything smaller is.......challenging.
View All Quotes

I have the same problem.  

Y'all about have me sold on an NX8 to round out my optics. I have a Razor 1-6, Elcan 1&4, S&B Short Dot 1-4, Leupy 1.5-5 Mk4 and some red dots. Been wanting more mag to make 500 yd shots easier. I was really considering the 2.5-10x24 to swap around on the 18" SPR and maybe even the AR10, but the NX8 might be enough. Not really interested in the Razor III because of weight and cost (maybe used market one day).
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ForestRegion:

Y'all about have me sold on an NX8 to round out my optics. I have a Razor 1-6, Elcan 1&4, S&B Short Dot 1-4, Leupy 1.5-5 Mk4 and some red dots. Been wanting more mag to make 500 yd shots easier. I was really considering the 2.5-10x24 to swap around on the 18" SPR and maybe even the AR10, but the NX8 might be enough. Not really interested in the Razor III because of weight and cost (maybe used market one day).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ForestRegion:

I have the same problem.  

An NX8 replaced my SpecterDR, which was pretty much useless beyond 300-400y in windy conditions, especially mixed wind.  All I’ll say is I’m happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Ugh...now y'all are making me reconsider the NX8! I wanted one bad, then a friend convinced me to go for the Razor instead.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Ugh...now y'all are making me reconsider the NX8! I wanted one bad, then a friend convinced me to go for the Razor instead.
View Quote

Razors are great (haven't used the 1-10) but I strongly prefer the nx8 for real world use. If you're a bench shooter or an occasional tactical shooter and want something that's easy to use razor is king. If you need an optical tool, nx8 is far superior. Ymmv
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#45]
I wouldn't proclaim the nx8 king yet.  The reticle was the failing of the razor, however, in the 1-10 they basically adopted the nx8 reticle.  If the new razor is half as good as the old, I'd take it over an nx8.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:02:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#46]
I wouldn't proclaim the nx8 king yet.  The reticle was the failing of the razor, however, in the 1-10 they basically adopted the nx8 reticle.  If the new razor is half as good as the old, I'd take it over an nx8.
View Quote

I was very tempted to try the 1-10 razor. It was $600 more than the Nx8 I picked up, so I passed for now. I knew what I was getting with the Nx8 as I had it on my 300BLK mini. I got it out to 600-700 yards on it's furthest outing, that was with 300 also. I hold at distance 90% of the time when I go shoot on all my rifles. Unless there is high wind or it's a <2 moa target.

The NX8 on 1x is not nearly as good as the Steiner on 1x but like you said once it's in the right spot it's really really good. NX8 shines at 8x shooting past 100 for sure. The eye box is tight on 8x but if your in some weird ass shooting position where you don't have perfect cheek weld your not gonna be on 8x shooting past 100.

As far as the 1.25 moa dot at distance. If your dialing for 400 yards and out and there is any more than a 5mph crosswind with 223 your on the fine sub tensions across the windage line anyways. So the big dot is a non issue.

I am still very intrigued by the EBR9 reticle as its pretty much transparent. I really like the idea of that!

I'm pumped to get the Nx8 on there. Having the same weight with double the mag and mil/mil is going to be great.

That 4x at 400 and beyond was really rough on my 7x10 steel plates.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

I feel like that S&B would match my Taupe SR15 perfect. Love that rig man.
View All Quotes

If you're ever in the market- Scopelist was pretty fair to me. Seems like a good use of some stimulus money maybe..?
It's nice to have a small center dot on 8x and have a bright dot on 1x. I finally got the specs on the MDR-T6 reticle and the center dot is 4.5 MOA on 1x and 0.56 MOA on 8x. Makes it nice to be able to get out to 500 easy and still be able to do everything up close.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Maack:

If you're ever in the market- Scopelist was pretty fair to me. Seems like a good use of some stimulus money maybe..?
It's nice to have a small center dot on 8x and have a bright dot on 1x. I finally got the specs on the MDR-T6 reticle and the center dot is 4.5 MOA on 1x and 0.56 MOA on 8x. Makes it nice to be able to get out to 500 easy and still be able to do everything up close.
View Quote

0.56 at 8x is pretty nice for precise work. I've been using a K16i for the time being but always been curious how the S&B offerings are. Thanks for the info dude.
Page / 208
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top