Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 208
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a handful of ARs, and this is quickly becoming my favorite.  Inspired by this thread:

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:38:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DackJaniels] [#3]
I’m kinda leaning towards a mini Kyle Lamb inspired Recce. I have an old 9” carbon fiber tube that broke at the sling stud mount. Been in the parts box for 7 years now. Well the other day I got a 10.5” Lilja 6.5 Grendel Barrel and a PRI fsgb. I’m thinking about making a cutout for the gas block front sight and then adding a sling stud on the other end to mount a bipod. What says the hive? Does anyone know where I could send the upper, handguard and Barrel to be mounted and time correctly? Here’s a pic with it wearing a Razor 3-15 HD LH I snagged for $400. It’ll either wear that handguard, FSGB or a G Fed Rail. Not sure on optics, maybe a vortex 1-8 SE for now until I find an option I like more.   Attachment Attached File

ETA: it’s sitting on my pistol lower until I form 1 my aero lower
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Mini recce in middle

12.5” with super long boi SPR can NX8

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 9:55:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: monsonman] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ragincajun1919:
Mini recce in middle

12.5” with super long boi SPR can NX8

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/263816/EDDBFA26-3C46-4ED6-B02E-14C3B29C50F3_jpe-1372371.JPG
View Quote

nice rigs

your username has my interest peaked...

edit: pic thread

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By monsonman:

nice rigs

your username has my interest peaked...

edit: pic thread

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49792982151_108decdd85_b.jpg
View Quote

More pics of this!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#8]
ok, here's a few I took earlier. I dropped the 10.5" 5.56 barrel back in while I wait for some parts to finish tweaking the 300blk barrel as pictured above.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#9]
It's really rare that a non-GWOTish build gets my rocks off, but that is freaking gorgeous.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#10]
To the guys running lpvo + offset RDS, whats the reasoning? RDS still faster than 1x? Been thinking about a dual optic setup but was going to use something like a 2/3-XX plus offset RDS. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
To the guys running lpvo + offset RDS, whats the reasoning? RDS still faster than 1x? Been thinking about a dual optic setup but was going to use something like a 2/3-XX plus offset RDS. Thoughts?
View Quote

Personally I think it's redundant. Unless, you are using NV. Then makes perfect sense or if you just run your optic on max setting all the time. If that's the case go with something like a 4-16 or higher mag.

But everyone is different and what makes sense and works for me might not to you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

For me personally, I run it because that particular rifle is for pig / vermin control and I run a thermal on it in lieu of the NF for night time things. If my thermal is off and by chance come across something that needs to be shot, the RMR is always there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 12:46:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RustedAce] [#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:45:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UndrGrndPrdcts] [#15]
Originally Posted By RustedAce:

I also use top mounted RDS for passive night vision use.

Also to have something for immediate quick shots on movers etc when my scope is on a higher power.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Also to have something for immediate quick shots on movers etc when my scope is on a higher power.

Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

Personally I think it's redundant. Unless, you are using NV. Then makes perfect sense or if you just run your optic on max setting all the time. If that's the case go with something like a 4-16 or higher mag.

But everyone is different and what makes sense and works for me might not to you.

Originally Posted By monsonman:

For me personally, I run it because that particular rifle is for pig / vermin control and I run a thermal on it in lieu of the NF for night time things. If my thermal is off and by chance come across something that needs to be shot, the RMR is always there.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if I'm going to run an offset RDS as my primary short range and passive NV optic, is there any benefit to limiting my magnified optic to 1-6 when i could go 2 or 3 to 12 or 15 or whatever and gain light transmission and open up a whole slew of other optics? I know theres guys doing this, just trying to figure out which way to go. Building up a 14" right now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#16]
https://i.imgur.com/EUXoqRy.jpg
View Quote

fuck yes
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#17]

So I guess what I'm saying is, if I'm going to run an offset RDS as my primary short range and passive NV optic, is there any benefit to limiting my magnified optic to 1-6 when i could go 2 or 3 to 12 or 15 or whatever and gain light transmission and open up a whole slew of other optics? I know theres guys doing this, just trying to figure out which way to go. Building up a 14" right now.
View Quote

If it were me running dual optics. I'd get a 4-16x42 atacr and offset dot. Or a MK5 3-18x44 with offset dot if your planning on shooting past 400yd with it. Obviously try for the lightest optic setup you can if your going higher mag.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:

fuck yes
View Quote

Still on the fence whether to run the NF Uni or Larue. I like the Larue for a more Holland look and to be able to swap it to the 300 easier but the NF is lighter.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

^^^^^^This
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Still on the fence whether to run the NF Uni or Larue. I like the Larue for a more Holland look and to be able to swap it to the 300 easier but the NF is lighter.

https://i.imgur.com/anNYAnC.jpg

View Quote

NF master race. Blaster looks good.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#21]

I use top mounted RDS for passive night vision use.

View All Quotes

I use top mounted RDS for passive night vision use.

This.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:33:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RustedAce] [#22]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:48:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RecoilSensitive] [#23]
Well this didn’t work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

NF master race. Blaster looks good.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#25]
So all the way back on Page 92 I posted the beginnings of this build. I don't have a stamp back on the lower, so it's sitting in a placeholder SBR, because rules .

12.5" .277 Wolverine, SiCo Omega300.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By WhiteDingo:
So all the way back on Page 92 I posted the beginnings of this build. I don't have a stamp back on the lower, so it's sitting in a placeholder SBR, because rules .

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/65278/IMG_20200420_200850650_2_jpg-1378003.JPG
View Quote

Love that no-gap look
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:41:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#27]
Originally Posted By WhiteDingo:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/65278/IMG_20200420_200850650_2_jpg-1378003.JPG
View Quote

I dig it. I'd be all over .277 Wolverine if I had more time to hunt like I used to.

My 13.7 contribution if that counts as mini still.

ballistic advantage 13.7 Hanson Barrel shoulder lines up perfectly at the end of the Larue handguard.  Viper PST II 2-10X. Good loard my phone takes terrible pictures.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Got a solid zero this morning. Not my best shooting but my SD's were terrible so time to start putting a little more effort into reloading for this barrel.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#29]
You guys with the AEM5 recessed under the PRI handguard, how much heat are you getting after a string of shots?  Thinking about switching out the KAC Medium RAS for a PRI on the Grendel.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:35:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#30]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:
You guys with the AEM5 recessed under the PRI handguard, how much heat are you getting after a string of shots?  Thinking about switching out the KAC Medium RAS for a PRI on the Grendel.
View Quote

I've done two mag dumps back to back and the handguard got warm but not too hot to hold. The CF really helps over aluminum.

My hand is just slightly behind the can.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#31]
So whats up with the NF NX8 1-8? They seem to be coming into popularity for these style of builds. Why would I choose that over anything else?
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:21:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RustedAce] [#32]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Small, compact, light, lots of capabilities. Not the best of any one particular thing, but a good blend of things you want.

Its basically the Mini-Recce of scopes.  

View All Quotes
So whats up with the NF NX8 1-8? They seem to be coming into popularity for these style of builds. Why would I choose that over anything else?

Small, compact, light, lots of capabilities. Not the best of any one particular thing, but a good blend of things you want.

And pretty dang lightweight for its size
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

This. Plus a lot of people are stretching them out past 400.

If your gonna run 300 and in the Steiner is the perfect choice. If your gonna go past 300 or simply just want more mag NX8 is your scope.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#35]

If your gonna run 300 and in the Steiner is the perfect choice. If your gonna go past 300 or simply just want more mag NX8 is your scope.
View All Quotes

Maybe it's just me being a rookie with distance shooting, but given the reticle of the p4xi, anything past about 250ish is kentucky windage out the ass.

With the nx8 at 500 I just dial 4mils or hold and bang ring.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Maybe it's just me being a rookie with distance shooting, but given the reticle of the p4xi, anything past about 250ish is kentucky windage out the ass.

View All Quotes

Yea I'm looking for something that will be usable at 500ish for this build.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:23:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#37]

View Quote

Here are the hash Mark holds for the p4xi using 75/77gr at 2450-2500fps with a 100yd zero. Which is about the velocity between 11.5-14.5 depending on handloads or factory and other parameters.

55gr at 2750 or so line up just about the same. Though the wind holds are much larger.

That's a 12" plate at 500 for reference.

The width of the hash marks is good for up to 15mph at 200, 8mph at 300, and 5 mph at 400. So using those holds with light wind you are GTG at those distances on small steel. Man size steel just hold the edge of the hashes on the target wherever your BC says to hold. I took mine to 420 with heavies on a 7x10 plate.

If the NX8 is in the budget @UndrGrndPrdcts get it 100%. If budget is lower and you don't shoot past 300-400 on less than 3-4 moa targets the Steiner is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:14:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UndrGrndPrdcts] [#38]

Here are the hash Mark holds for the p4xi using 75/77gr at 2450-2500fps with a 100yd zero. Which is about the velocity between 11.5-14.5 depending on handloads or factory and other parameters.

55gr at 2750 or so line up just about the same. Though the wind holds are much larger.

https://i.imgur.com/ZUxRw8u.jpg

That's a 12" plate at 500 for reference.

The width of the hash marks is good for up to 15mph at 200, 8mph at 300, and 5 mph at 400. So using those holds with light wind you are GTG at those distances on small steel. Man size steel just hold the edge of the hashes on the target wherever your BC says to hold. I took mine to 420 with heavies on a 7x10 plate.

If the NX8 is in the budget @UndrGrndPrdcts get it 100%. If budget is lower and you don't shoot past 300-400 on less than 3-4 moa targets the Steiner is awesome.
View Quote

The NX8 is a little steep for what it is really. I thought about just getting a used PST II 1-6 to see how I like the platform first. I know, not even in the same ballpark . I'm not convinced I dont want something x42ish for light transmission, since i want to run an offset rds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#39]
I think the NX8 seems like a good price considering the quality you’re getting
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ragincajun1919:
I think the NX8 seems like a good price considering the quality you’re getting
View Quote

Especially if you cruise the EE. I got a brand new mil version with brand new uni for $1,550. That's about $500 less than buying from an online retailer.

I paid about the same for my old one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:00:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#41]
Just ordered a capped nx8. Looking forward to building my 12.5 when I get home
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Especially if you cruise the EE. I got a brand new mil version with brand new uni for $1,550. That's about $500 less than buying from an online retailer.

I paid about the same for my old one.
View Quote

You guys are killing me. NX8 pretty much makes perfect sense for this build.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#43]
If you want to save money, consider a used nxs 1-4 with IHR reticle and exposed zerostop turret. You should be able to get one for 700 to 800 if you are patient. If lucky, you might get a unimount included for not much more.

You get durability, zero stop, and tracking. You sacrifice daylight bright illumination and top end magnification.

I have never used the Steiner, but it would give you daylight bright illumination and better glass (according to reviews) but you give up durability to the nxs.

You can’t have it all at that price.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Honestly there are so many good options you really cant go wrong at any price point.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#45]

You guys are killing me. NX8 pretty much makes perfect sense for this build.
View Quote

You know what to do!
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Why didn't you guys tell me that 1.93 is literally the perfect mount height ?

Standard height G mount is going in the EE later today if anyone wants it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
https://i.imgur.com/dW7AlSrr.jpg
Why didn't you guys tell me that 1.93 is literally the perfect mount height ?

Standard height G mount is going in the EE later today if anyone wants it.
View Quote

Ugh I went with NF 1.5 cuz the 1.93 isn't available yet. Jelly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#48]
I just bought a second NX8 from EE
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Mini Recce squad, how do we like the NF 2.5-10 x 24? I literally have no reason to ditch the Razor...But that model NF backed up with an offset MRDS has always intrigued me. 10 power with x24 seems like a tight squeeze optically, but I love the look of it (which is dumb but that's showbiz).
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
Mini Recce squad, how do we like the NF 2.5-10 x 24? I literally have no reason to ditch the Razor...But that model NF backed up with an offset MRDS has always intrigued me. 10 power with x24 seems like a tight squeeze optically, but I love the look of it (which is dumb but that's showbiz).
View Quote

X24 is sick. Clarity is actually really really good. X24 in a uni Mount with an offset doctor or MRDS would be sweet.
Page / 208
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top