AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mstennes:

@Goody454

I am sure this has been asked already but without being a stocker to get the answer(s) what do you think of the RIS III? How does it compare in weight against the RIS II? How about strength? I noticed your MK16 what are your thought against it as far as weight, slimness and rigidity? I’ve got a couple II’s and they can’t really be beat for strength, but that comes at a cost of weight. I like the MK16’s and have a few of them, I like how light and slim they are, but know they won’t take the abuse, hard use a II will take.
View Quote

Here are the RIS III stats that I haven't seen from Daniel Defense, but this retailer has:

https://i0.wp.com/tandkoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/dd-ris-iii-specs.png
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:11:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#2]
And we're the legal Eagle! Stamp came in this morning thanks to ATF Nathan Hartsock.

Kodiak brown ano lower looks great on this build. Now also shods a Magpul K2-XL pistol grip, Triggertech diamond trigger, Geissele DDC RE and Fortis Mfg K2 castle nut & endplate system.

Off to the engraver this afternoon... Both shots in natural cloudy lighting

Larger pic, shows color differentiation better

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By arwoodie:

Here are the RIS III stats that I haven't seen from Daniel Defense, but this retailer has:

https://i0.wp.com/tandkoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/dd-ris-iii-specs.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@Goody454

I am sure this has been asked already but without being a stocker to get the answer(s) what do you think of the RIS III? How does it compare in weight against the RIS II? How about strength? I noticed your MK16 what are your thought against it as far as weight, slimness and rigidity? I’ve got a couple II’s and they can’t really be beat for strength, but that comes at a cost of weight. I like the MK16’s and have a few of them, I like how light and slim they are, but know they won’t take the abuse, hard use a II will take.

@mstennes

MK18 RIS II 14.1 oz - RIS III 9.5 12.9 oz

M4A1 RIS II 17.7 oz - RIS III 12.5 16.6 oz

M4A1 RIS II FSP 17.1 oz - RIS III 13.0 FSP 16.4 oz
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

@mstennes

View All Quotes

@Goody454

@mstennes

@pezboytate

Thank you, I’m still curious as to how it compares in diameter to the MK16, I converted a couple uppers to the 16 because of its feel and lightness.
Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:36:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Goody454] [#5]

@pezboytate

Thank you, I’m still curious as to how it compares in diameter to the MK16, I converted a couple uppers to the 16 because of its feel and lightness.
Thanks again!
View Quote

@mstennes

It looks like you got most of your answers already, but I can tell you the RIS is wider than the MK16.
It’s about what a MK4/8 feels like, but not quite as squared off feeling due to the angles at the 45’s.

If you’re used to the RIS ii I can’t imagine you’d be bothered by the weight of the iii.

Here’s a picture of the RIS next to a MK4 for reference (both 14.5” P/W).
I personally prefer the slightly larger diameter, and actually got rid of the MK16 I had pictured before.

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Goody454:

@mstennes

It looks like you got most of your answers already, but I can tell you the RIS is wider than the MK16.
It’s about what a MK4/8 feels like, but not quite as squared off feeling due to the angles at the 45’s.

If you’re used to the RIS ii I can’t imagine you’d be bothered by the weight of the iii.

Here’s a picture of the RIS next to a MK4 for reference (both 14.5” P/W).
I personally prefer the slightly larger diameter, and actually got rid of the MK16 I had pictured before.

https://i.ibb.co/ZTjhGsG/F11486-CF-220-E-4-E0-B-9-C54-D57432-EFF0-D0.jpg
View Quote

@Goody454

I am used to it but I am kicking around a lightweight build and the MK16 was kinda my thought but I love the RIS, if it shed a few ounces and was slightly smaller I was thinking it would be the best option. I did have some Mk4’s which I do like but I like how light and slim the MK16 is, and since I’m not hanging anything on it I felt the end rail sections could be deleted. Going a little wider wouldn’t hurt my feeling and actually be e benefit. I’m one of those who is always searching for “that” perfect rail. The RIS would be it except I do like the slightly smaller od of the MK16. I am really thinking the RIS III may be just that rail. The additional heft would not bother me, and the slightly larger diameter is a blessing to as well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Grab one as soon as you can, you won’t regret it.
I’ll grab another one in black when they’re available.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Grab one as soon as you can, you won’t regret it.
I’ll grab another one in black when they’re available.
View Quote

I wished they’d just release them already. Buying a complete rifle then parting it out is out of the question.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The MK16 isn't much lighter.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#10]
The CMT Quad arrived, not bad.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

I really like the Mk16, but it isn't a light rail compared to many options out there. If you want G and light, go for the Mk14 as it is their lightest option. That also assumes you don't need m-lok on the 45's. I have Mk16's on my guns, and Mk14's on my wife's and son's. I am definitely a fan of the slimmer rails over the Mk4 and Mk8.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By spyderboy03:

I really like the Mk16, but it isn't a light rail compared to many options out there. If you want G and light, go for the Mk14 as it is their lightest option. That also assumes you don't need m-lok on the 45's. I have Mk16's on my guns, and Mk14's on my wife's and son's. I am definitely a fan of the slimmer rails over the Mk4 and Mk8.

I agree on the weight, I’ve found you start going lighter you see the twistys and the bendys. I feel the MK16 for me is the best compromise at the moment. It checks the most boxes for me. I’m one who tries to make everything about as close to the same as possible, except barrel lengths and optics. This helps me in being able to pick up my different rifles and while different they are the same. I do like my RIS II’s and they are built like a tank, the diameter is much longer as are all quads. I like the M Lock for its simplicity, I also don’t have to have rails where I don’t need or want them. I’m having some high hopes for the RIS III, just wished they’d make a longer version for say a 18” and a short FSP carbine versions ala MK18.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#13]
+/- 2 oz on a handguard is survivable, tano is always lighter in the hand.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#14]
The RIS iii measures 1.95” wide on my calipers.

…and I agree, Tano is lighter.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#15]
The RIS iii measures 1.95” wide on my calipers.

…and I agree, Tano is lighter.
View Quote

RIS II 2.23" *
RIS III 1.95"
MK16 1.59"

*Bottom rail is closer to the bore line than the sides are.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#17]
Have no idea why the natural lighting pics I posted earlier make the Kodiak brown lower look "rose gold." It's not, at all.

LED lighting in my office, and it's much closer to the G DDC rail in color to my eyes anyway.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MackDaddy1962:
Have no idea why the natural lighting pics I posted earlier make the Kodiak brown lower look "rose gold." It's not, at all.

LED lighting in my office, and it's much closer to the G DDC rail in color to my eyes anyway.

https://media.fotki.com/2v2eep5ivx9T3R.jpg
View Quote

That looks incredible!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#19]
The CMT Quad arrived, not bad.
View Quote

We need pics @arwoodie
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#20]

That looks incredible!!
View Quote

Looks like ass (iPhone 12 camera sux compared to my old iPhone 10) but at least it gives a better color rendition.

Thanks brother
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Accidentally added to my cart on an order. Surprised to find out it’s actually tanodized for $40. Breek Warhammer. High shelf rear with a gas vent.

Link Posted: 1/14/2023 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#22]
LMT MARS tano receiver set w/ G Mk16. Just need that tano pic section.  #50shadesoffde  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks great Marv, I think I shall squirt my Turbo-K FDE. I've been on the fence doing it anyway..

Nice stick!
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks great Marv, I think I shall squirt my Turbo-K FDE. I've been on the fence doing it anyway..

Nice stick!
View Quote

Cerakote?

Thinking about painting mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Cerakote?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138579/20230114_162128_jpg-2672265.JPG
View Quote

Yup. Probably just go Magpul FDE since I know my Cerakote applicator has it on hand.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

Finally got my NX8 after 8 months and my clear Talon after over a year if not years of waiting.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 1:22:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#27]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138579/20230116_090454_2_jpg-2674036.JPG

Finally got my NX8 after 8 months and my clear Talon after over a year if not years of waiting.
View Quote

Nice. Where on earth did you find the clear ano Talon safety?

Edit: Is that one NP3? Nevermind, I found it! OOS everywhere of course. On the wait list now.. dammit man, I though I was done!

Edit II: Low and behold, the 4 lever kit in clear ano was available. Really don't need all that, but I snagged it anyway!

Thanks for posting @pezboytate I really did need to spend more $$$... not.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Nice. Where on earth did you find the clear ano Talon safety?

Edit: Is that one NP3? Nevermind, I found it! OOS everywhere of course. On the wait list now.. dammit man, I though I was done!

Edit II: Low and behold, the 4 lever kit in clear ano was available. Really don't need all that, but I snagged it anyway!

Thanks for posting @pezboytate I really did need to spend more $$$... not.
View Quote

I had a backorder on Optics Planet forever and it was canceled. Then I finally saw them in stock at Radian and placed a LARGE order. I got a package a month later and there was only 1 (one) selector in there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I ordered direct from Radian, I guess we shall see. They took my money no problem 🧐😂
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I ordered direct from Radian, I guess we shall see. They took my money no problem 🧐😂
View Quote

Radian sent me the remaining ones from my order.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 6:57:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#31]
Good to hear! I got a shipping notice for my order today. Sweet!

Edit: The more I look at your clear ano selector on the darker shade lower the more I like it. Not that the FCD selector I have now really needs changed, but what the heck. All things Tanno.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Cerakote?

View All Quotes

Nice stick!

Cerakote?

Can someone explain what I am looking at here? Is this a modded can to take a surefire mount? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By carmodyh:

Can someone explain what I am looking at here? Is this a modded can to take a surefire mount? Thanks!
View Quote

Surefire trainer modded to take 1 3/8 thread cans.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone bought an FDE or Clear Ano stripped upper from MSP Armory?

https://msp-manufacturing.com/armory/product/m18-upper-receiver-stripped/

Curious... Wonder what the clear Ano looks like in person.

Side Note: My Radian Talon selector is on the way. Strange, the shipping notice came from "Fishbowl." What the hell is up with that?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I got a clear anno from MSP armory, color looks fine but the barrel extension is looser than I'm used to, admittedly all my other ones are thermal fit (BCM, Mk2 and Hodge) so I may be picky.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By msch42:
I got a clear anno from MSP armory, color looks fine but the barrel extension is looser than I'm used to, admittedly all my other ones are thermal fit (BCM, Mk2 and Hodge) so I may be picky.
View Quote

Good to know. I've yet to have any thermal fitting on my builds (mostly Aero uppers) so that's not a problem for me. Post a pic when you get a chance if possible brother.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#37]
https://imgur.com/a/jSJn8iW

Definitely got a bit of a grey tinge to it but more FDE when its dark
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By msch42:
https://imgur.com/a/jSJn8iW

Definitely got a bit of a grey tinge to it but more FDE when its dark
View Quote

Wow, that does look grey in the first pic. Thanks for sharing my friend.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

I got my first RIS III.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks great @pezboytate . Who's upper/lower on the bottom stick? Those look on point.

And, look at you. Clear ano selectors in all their glory!

Mine came in today. Pics to follow. Looks killer on the Kodiak Brown lower, big time!

Carry on
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks great @pezboytate . Who's upper/lower on the bottom stick? Those look on point.

And, look at you. Clear ano selectors in all their glory!

Mine came in today. Pics to follow. Looks killer on the Kodiak Brown lower, big time!

Carry on
View Quote

Thanks. They are all Geissele. I got a bunch in that are really rough and off in color. Both DDC and black. The bottom upper is from that batch. I need a bunch of lower parts to finish them. I'm just going to put them together and see what happens I guess.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#42]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138579/20230125_165935_2_jpg-2685201.JPG

I got my first RIS III.
View Quote

Looks awesome!

Where did you get the new RIS?
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Looks awesome!

Where did you get the new RIS?
View Quote

T&K Outdoors but they are OOS now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:18:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#44]
Talon Clear Ano Tanno selector has a nice contrast on the dark brown lower. I'm happy with it. Thanks for helping me spend more $$$ @pezboytate

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Talon Clear Ano Tanno selector has a nice contrast on the dark brown lower. I'm happy with it. Thanks for helping me spend more $$$ @pezboytate

https://media.fotki.com/2v2eZfbPGx9T3R.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2eZfkHVx9T3R.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2eZtaPrx9T3R.jpg
View Quote

Sweet.

Attachment Attached File

What color is my new Unity Tactical FAST?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:16:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#46]
Dropped my CMT DRT rail off to be Cerakoted. I love CMT but DRT looks rose gold in sunlight and I couldn’t stand it.

Also got my Rise Armament “Spartan Bronze” anodized QD socket in. This shit is more like polished gang banger gold. Highly recommend not buying unless you’re building a rifle for Elton John. Disappointing tanodized day for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Dropped my CMT DRT rail off to be Cerakoted. I love CMT but DRT looks rose gold in sunlight and I couldn’t stand it.

Also got my Rise Armament “Spartan Bronze” anodized QD socket in. This shit is more like polished gang banger gold. Highly recommend not buying unless you’re building a rifle for Elton John. Disappointing tanodized day for me.
https://i.ibb.co/P56NXfy/334-F9-DD3-AC93-4188-9-BCD-8-E283-B70-F456.jpg
View Quote

Rose Gold would match my wife's jewelry
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

https://i.ibb.co/P56NXfy/334-F9-DD3-AC93-4188-9-BCD-8-E283-B70-F456.jpg
View Quote

I’m kinda a fan of the rose gold lol

That’s what color my FCD EPC is!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 5L33P3R:

I’m kinda a fan of the rose gold lol

That’s what color my FCD EPC is!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/478727/6064A57E-137A-4E15-A9B2-324EB0C08CB6_jpe-2687854.JPG
View Quote

If it was that color I would have been happy. With handling and oil my CMT was borderline maroon. It was a blem but someone posted a picture a few pages back that had the same hue.

Oh well though. My Cerakote guy is a boss at replicating anodizing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 12:04:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5L33P3R] [#50]
If it’s the same Cerakote guy that I use that is a master at mimicking anodized colors, you’re in good hands.  I have a BCM kino upper with a chopped mk8 I’m sending off to get cerakoted to be a green/fde Ano color similar to what’s used on the HK rifles
Page / 28
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top