BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 1:39:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#1]
Clear Ano Unity Fast mount from TacHuntFish is on. The lightest shade of clear anodized parts thus far. But, it works for me. For now..

Have no idea why Unity decided to change the bottom geometry, but now I need to order the latest & greatest (shorter) adjustment nut for my ADM Titanium QD lever mount. Great...

Oh well, it's on. In all it's glory..

With Radian clear ano CH

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:25:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#2]
ADM Titanium QD lever in FDE came today. Low and behold it's got the wrong size nut to work with the new Unity FAST mount design on the clear ano unit. Still have no idea why UT changed it! Oh well, back to what we know..

I actually like the look of the FDE UT FAST mount no problem, so back on it goes. And, I like the Geissele ACH much better over the Radian CH. May have a use for the Radian down the road, but G wins hands down. There's a reason why all my AR's have them.

The new ADM FDE lever is Cerakote, I was hoping for Ion Bond. But, it's not. Looks good anyway.

Edit: Anyone know of a nice, quality Tanodized forward assist (other than Strike Industries?) I don't really need one, but while I'm on a roll...

Edit II: I think the new ADM QD setup is Cerakote as it's got a rough texture to it. May be Ion Bond.. who knows.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MackDaddy1962:
ADM Titanium QD lever in FDE came today. Low and behold it's got the wrong size nut to work with the new Unity FAST mount design on the clear ano unit. Still have no idea why UT changed it! Oh well, back to what we know..

I actually like the look of the FDE UT FAST mount no problem, so back on it goes. And, I like the Geissele ACH much better over the Radian CH. May have a use for the Radian down the road, but G wins hands down. There's a reason why all my AR's have them.

The new ADM FDE lever is Cerakote, I was hoping for Ion Bond. But, it's not. Looks good anyway.

Edit: Anyone know of a nice, quality Tanodized forward assist (other than Strike Industries?) I don't really need one, but while I'm on a roll...

https://media.fotki.com/2v2eQ8kWCx9T3R.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2eQ8kGLx9T3R.jpg
View Quote

Would you take a side by side pic of the fde and clear fast mounts?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By pezboytate: Would you take a side by side pic of the fde and clear fast mounts?
View Quote

I will. Give me a bit..
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 7:22:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Goody454] [#5]

https://media.fotki.com/2v2eQ8kWCx9T3R.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2eQ8kGLx9T3R.jpg
View Quote

Bummer about the QD lever… ADM is hit or miss with anodized vs cerakote.

ACH for the win. I’ve switched pretty much everything I own to Geissele charging handles. Something I thought would never happen since they’re ~$100 a pop. To me, they’re worth it.

Lookin good brother.

ETA: I’ve been wondering for a while why this rifle isn’t your avatar…
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:19:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#6]
Originally Posted By Goody454:
Bummer about the QD lever… ADM is hit or miss with anodized vs cerakote.

ACH for the win. I’ve switched pretty much everything I own to Geissele charging handles. Something I thought would never happen since they’re ~$100 a pop. To me, they’re worth it.

Lookin good brother.

ETA: I’ve been wondering for a while why this rifle isn’t your avatar…
View Quote

Yeah, Titanium can be done in ion bond PVD black or FDE, so I was hoping. But, truthfully no big deal. It still looks fantastic. I just wish they'd have sent the correct length nut (as the website states that's what it would come with!) I've sent an email, so I'm sure we'll get it figured out.

Yup, G charge handles are my go to, and have been for some time now. I took a shot on the Radian, no beuno. Maybe the full size wing version is GTG, but the smaller "K" version if you will... no.

You da man
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:25:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#7]
Here's a couple of pics between the latest version  (clear ano) and the older version (FDE) UT FAST mounts. You can see the older version "humps" outward in the middle (bottom) where you'd have the QD retaining nut setup. New version is flat.

Plus, newest version has small threaded holes on either side as well. What's that all about?

Side note: Decision has been made on Cerakote for the suppressor. Desert Sand it is... should have it back in ~ 30 days.

Edit: These pics make the new FAST unit look silver. If you're looking for a color comparison I'll post up some pics in good light.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a couple of pics between the latest version  (clear ano) and the older version (FDE) UT FAST mounts. You can see the older version "humps" outward in the middle (bottom) where you'd have the QD retaining nut setup. New version is flat.

Plus, newest version has small threaded holes on either side as well. What's that all about?

Side note: Decision has been made on Cerakote for the suppressor. Desert Sand it is... should have it back in ~ 30 days.

https://media.fotki.com/2v2eQMgUMx9T3R.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2eQMgv8x9T3R.jpg
View Quote

Very interested to see the suppressor and to hear how it holds up to the heat of your ~10” barrel.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:18:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#9]
Originally Posted By Goody454: Very interested to see the suppressor and to hear how it holds up to the heat of your ~10” barrel.
View Quote

I'm psyched to see the color against all this too. Should be sweet.

As for the Turbo-K on shorties, it works great (albeit a bit gassy.). I've got quite a few rounds on the naked version mounted on the 11.3".

My full size Turbo in Cerakote Magpul FDE has held up nice over the years. Everything from 16" carbine barrels down to 10.5". No worries, Cerakote air dry holds up good on suppressors.

Discolors a bit, but works well. Old pic of the Turbo on a 10.5" pencil barrel config

Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#10]

I'm psyched to see the color against all this too. Should be sweet.

As for the Turbo-K on shorties, it works great (albeit a bit gassy.). I've got quite a few rounds on the naked version mounted on the 11.3".

My full size Turbo in Cerakote Magpul FDE has held up nice over the years. Everything from 16" carbine barrels down to 10.5". No worries, Cerakote air dry holds up good on suppressors.

Discolors a bit, but works well. Old pic of the Turbo on a 10.5" pencil barrel config

https://media.fotki.com/2v2eb23rnx9T3R.jpg
View Quote

Geissele rail, carbon fiber rail cover, and an Olight.

Your rifle has a Mk8 doesn’t it? Brownell’s had the 15” on sale so I got sucked in. I’d rather have the DDC Mk8 than a coated CMT DRT anyway.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

Geissele rail, carbon fiber rail cover, and an Olight.

Your rifle has a Mk8 doesn’t it? Brownell’s had the 15” on sale so I got sucked in. I’d rather have the DDC Mk8 than a coated CMT DRT anyway.
View Quote

Don't hate, that was from years ago. I've still got two of the Olite's just for the laser function.

Yup, MK8's are my go to. The 8" build has a 7" MK4, but I prefer all M-LOK. I like the G rails.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:20:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#12]

Don't hate, that was from years ago. I've still got two of the Olite's just for the laser function.

Yup, MK8's are my go to. The 8" build has a 7" MK4, but I prefer all M-LOK. I like the G rails.
View Quote

I’ve only ever had a MK16 which I wasn’t too fond of. Always liked the Mk4 and Mk8 rails so I’m glad to finally own one.

I couldn’t find Kodiak brown receivers at the time so some spares are getting coated in smoked bronze now. Maybe I’ll hold on to the CMT DRT rail and grab a KB receiver set to use with it. Really liking the smoked bronze though.

In sunlight.

You and I have similar style so I’ll post it when I get finished.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#13]
With the Aero sale I decided to grab a Kodiak upper. Interested to see how it compares to my G lower.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#14]
That looks nice @-OdieGreen- Should make a nice build!
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Outrider:
With the Aero sale I decided to grab a Kodiak upper.
View Quote

Well, aren't you the enabler!!

Just snagged one too. What the heck. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Even better price on the Kodiak uppers. I've never bought from this vendor but they have good reviews.

https://www.schuylerarmsco.com/presidents-day-sale/ar-15-uppers-25-993/m4e1-threaded-assembled-upper-receiver-kodiak-brown-anodized-4495411
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:36:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#17]
Color comparison between 3 UT FAST mounts. Clear Ano and 2 shades of FDE Ano

Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Color comparison between 3 UT FAST mounts. Clear Ano and 2 shares of FDE Ano

https://media.fotki.com/2v2ebEzA5x9T3R.jpg
View Quote

Anyone know where I can get an old style one like in the middle?
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By pezboytate: Anyone know where I can get an old style one like in the middle?
View Quote

Give me a bit to think it over.. I may sell you mine. I've got enough in the stash to include the ADM titanium QD lever setup too..

Maybe, I'm still on the fence of letting it go.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 3:01:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#20]
Clear Ano FAST swapped to the 8" build. I ultimately want to mount my Sig Romeo 4S on this, but it needs sent back to the mother-ship for helicoil replacements. 2 of them are backing out..

I can live with it as is for now. Still need to get an ADM "short" nut to swap over to Ti QD lever setup.

Edit: And yes, Olight..

Anyhow, pics

Link Posted: 2/19/2023 6:31:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#21]
Even better price on the Kodiak uppers. I've never bought from this vendor but they have good reviews.

https://www.schuylerarmsco.com/presidents-day-sale/ar-15-uppers-25-993/m4e1-threaded-assembled-upper-receiver-kodiak-brown-anodized-4495411
View Quote

Well crap, that would have been nice! This vendor is GTG.

Oh well.. mine has shipped from Aero direct.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Top to bottom: p&w 14.0", 5.56 mm; 11.5", 5.56 mm; 10.3", 22RF; Upper 10.5", 5./56 mm.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ducati650:
Top to bottom: p&w 14.0", 5.56 mm; 11.5", 5.56 mm; 10.3", 22RF; Upper 10.5", 5./56 mm.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/775/IMG_3200_jpg-2718153.JPG
View Quote

Someone likes Arisaka finger stops..

Nice collection brother. On point.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Just took a gamble on a couple of these Tan Mag Phosphate finish End Plates. Only $8 so I ordered a couple to see if they’re worth anything.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Duck flex…

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ducati650:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/775/IMG_3200_jpg-2718153.JPG
View Quote

Very nice assortment you have there, what length barrel is under that MK4 rail?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Got the blem MK8 coming today!

Screenshot_20230221_155124_Samsung Internet by brandon, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 9:52:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#28]

Sweet! I need to get that too. Roger is a good dude, need to send him some business.. if they come back in stock!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 10:05:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#29]
Just pieced this together, Bartlein 11.5” 6mm ARC spun up by Craddock.  Some parts aren’t tano.  Lower is Cerakote Troy Coyote Tan, T2 is rattle canned, and castle nut is Cerakote.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By jmh556:

Very nice assortment you have there, what length barrel is under that MK4 rail?
View Quote

Thank you.

It is a 16" 22RF barrel cut down by John Thomas (R.A.W.) to mimic the exposed length of a 10.3" barrel.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 12:21:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ducati650] [#31]

Someone likes Arisaka finger stops..

Nice collection brother. On point.
View Quote

Yes, I do. They just feel "feel right" to me.

Thank you. I have another 22RF 10.3" patterned after a MK18.
Attachment Attached File

Waiting for it to get out of jail. I have a G33, B5 SOPMOD buttstock and Tango Down stubby vertical grip for it once approved.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Brandonbeezy: Got the blem MK8 coming today!
View Quote

Congrats on that. For some strange reason, I want to try an MK16 rail. They've got a black Blemula 9.3" right now... Hmmmm
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By pezboytate: Anyone know where I can get an old style one like in the middle?
View Quote

@pezboytate PM to you sir!

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 4:21:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#34]
My Cerakote guy should be done with my receivers in a couple days.

Thinking about a tanodized Vortex Spark but really can’t get past how much I like the PA 3X Microprism with an offset on my trunk gun. They make them in FDE at least.

ETA: Bah screw it. Ordered the FDE 3X and a tano ADM cantilever for it. Will just run my old Surefire on it for now and grab a Modlite later.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#35]
My Cerakote guy should be done with my receivers in a couple days.

https://i.ibb.co/QHkY8Hk/0-BA0-E87-E-5-CDA-42-AE-9-F0-D-5259-F818677-F.jpg

Thinking about a tanodized Vortex Spark but really can’t get past how much I like the PA 3X Microprism with an offset on my trunk gun. They make them in FDE at least.

ETA: Bah screw it. Ordered the FDE 3X and a tano ADM cantilever for it. Will just run my old Surefire on it for now and grab a Modlite later.
View Quote

DDC MK8’s are basically the sexiest rails you can get.
I used to like the slim rails, but it’s hard to go back once you’ve handled a MK4 or MK8.

Can’t wait to see the finished product!
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:00:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#36]
DDC MK8’s are basically the sexiest rails you can get.
I used to like the slim rails, but it’s hard to go back once you’ve handled a MK4 or MK8.

Can’t wait to see the finished product!
View Quote

I'll have to agree, they're awesome no doubt. I too started out with skinny rails (Aero Atlas S-One & R-One come to mind.) I don't see going back to those anytime soon.

Congrats @-OdieGreen- Show it off when you get it done!!

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#37]
It was on sale, looks cooler to me, and is lighter than the Mk16 so I have no ragerts. She’s a thick girl with the Centurion covers too. I don’t wrap my hand all the way around and have big hands so it works out. Very reminiscent of a RAS with KAC panels on it.

Pictures will be posted soon as she’s all set up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:21:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#38]
Forgive the spillage on my card table. Damn kids. Will get higher quality photos in varying light once the optic and mount get here. Midwest Firearm Solutions did a great job and I’m a huge fan of Cerakote Smoked Bronze as a color. (Receivers and buffer tube).

I thought I saw a dark spot under the shell deflector in that picture. Nope. This color is just chameleon like that.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Forgive the spillage on my card table. Damn kids. Will get higher quality photos in varying light once the optic and mount get here. Midwest Firearm Solutions did a great job and I’m a huge fan of Cerakote Smoked Bronze as a color. (Receivers and buffer tube).

https://i.ibb.co/K7qXLTN/0-AA98791-36-F6-4367-A854-CF08-C9-CF72-E2.jpg
View Quote

That thing looks really good, well done. I'm on a MK4/MK8 kick right now, especially the 9.5 to 10.5 inch rails.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:52:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#40]
Originally Posted By jmh556:

That thing looks really good, well done. I'm on a MK4/MK8 kick right now, especially the 9.5 to 10.5 inch rails.
View Quote

Thanks. I really want to replace the Cloud COR rail on my shorty with a Mk8 now. Hard to pull the trigger on though as the tanodized BCM made step rail is rare as hen’s teeth and works perfectly with my OWL.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Clear Ano top, Kodiak Brown middle, FDE Ano on the gun.

Decisions, decisions...

I'm leaving well enough alone for now. May swap in the Kodiak Brown at some point.

Link Posted: 2/28/2023 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#42]

https://i.ibb.co/K7qXLTN/0-AA98791-36-F6-4367-A854-CF08-C9-CF72-E2.jpg

I thought I saw a dark spot under the shell deflector in that picture. Nope. This color is just chameleon like that.

https://i.ibb.co/9q7R1Nc/9800-E27-B-D5-F7-4-A5-E-BF88-2-FD43931-B86-E.jpg
View Quote

That turned out SWEET!
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 9:02:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#43]

That turned out SWEET!
View Quote

Thanks. And I say stick with the current receiver. Tough call since I like the lines of the M4E1 so much though. (4 of my last 6 builds have been on M4E1 receivers.)

I’m stuck now. Debating if I want to do a custom light build with a Repitilia Tobacco anodized light body or just say screw it and go all Modlite.

My FDE optic and tanodized ADM mount get here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 9:47:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Goody454] [#44]
Clear Ano top, Kodiak Brown middle, FDE Ano on the gun.

Decisions, decisions...

I'm leaving well enough alone for now. May swap in the Kodiak Brown at some point.

https://media.fotki.com/2v2ebGYCCx9T3R.jpg
View Quote

I don’t see that there’s a wrong answer.
If you’re like me, you’ll spend an hour trying all three of them out, only to find a forth one for sale somewhere that you have to have…

ETA: I love those clear Scalarworks sights!

They need to have Clear as an option whenever they release their folding sights.
I sent them an email tonight saying this, I suggest we all do!
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#45]

If you’re like me, you’ll spend an hour trying all three of them out, only to find a forth one for sale somewhere that you have to have…

They need to have Clear as an option whenever they release their folding sights.
View Quote

They do really good with their clear anodizing. Q’s stuff is way too yellow in my opinion and Cloud’s clear anodizing just looks like bare metal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 3:04:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#46]

View Quote

Eh, I'm not buying anymore stuff. I've made my mind up (for now anyway,) to just stick with it as is. Maybe the Kodiak Brown down the road. But, after seeing yours and OdieGreen's matched color upper/lower setups, I may do that sooner rather than later.

Right now, it's new garage door time. There's $2500 out the door! Ha! At least it's going to be either black or dark gray...

Didn't you have a set of the Scalarworks Clear Ano Peak sights? I'm really dig'n them for sure.

ETA: That clear ano upper looks yellow in my pic, but it's not at all. It would be a good match for this build too, but that's my last choice. Still a nice piece of kit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 2:11:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#47]
Got my Kodiak upper in and put it with my Geissele lower from way back when they first were offered. I like the color. I've always preferred the browner or coyote tanodizes vs. the gold colors.

Link Posted: 3/1/2023 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Got my Kodiak upper in and put it with my Geissele lower from way back when they first were offered. I like the color. I've always preferred the browner or coyote tanodizes vs. the gold colors.
https://i.imgur.com/8Z4KDs8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ALXsRrD.jpg
View Quote

looks great
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Got the tano ADM mount. Should have my Modlite in a week or two if I can hide it from the woman. After that I think I’m going to get a tano Fortis castle nut, a Cherry Bomb flash hider, and a titanium nitride bolt group. Shit pic for now. Too busy to venture outside before sundown.

Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#50]
https://i.imgur.com/8Z4KDs8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ALXsRrD.jpg
View Quote

Darker shades of DDC looks the best. What rail are you going with?
Page / 28
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top