Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 220
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:39:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#1]
I totally didn't know he updated the pics, lol.

Page ownage. Because a mini-recce is still a recce.

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Did you not see where he said "I fixed it"? He went back and edited the pic so that it's displayed correctly.
View Quote
NOPE!
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
I totally didn't know he updated the pics, lol.

Page ownage. Because a mini-recce is still a recce.

https://i.imgur.com/28Ni5o0.jpg
View Quote
You got any groups to show and brag from that beautiful thing?  I have a theory (well I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere and notice it with my own guns) that when velocity goes down, better precision is more likely.  And then you have the added bonus of possibly having a stiffer barrel from being so short.  Although that socom 10.3 CD posted would probably be a tack driver.  Not sure what your profile is.

I'm not sure if my first part of the theory makes sense because the pressure is still the same with whatever ammo.  But the lower velocity seems like it would be less violent on the bullet in flight once it leaves the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:44:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#4]
Originally Posted By JJREA:

You got any groups to show and brag from that beautiful thing?  I have a theory (well I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere and notice it with my own guns) that when velocity goes down, better precision is more likely.  And then you have the added bonus of possibly having a stiffer barrel from being so short.  Although that socom 10.3 CD posted would probably be a tack driver.  Not sure what your profile is.

I'm not sure if my first part of the theory makes sense because the pressure is still the same with whatever ammo.  But the lower velocity seems like it would be less violent on the bullet in flight once it leaves the barrel.
View Quote
I shoot with Utah a bunch. That thing is sub moa. Shot very tight with off the shelf 55gr as well. Shot even better with 77gr!

Your theory is most of the time correct. I also came to this conclusion a few years ago while reloading.

The more I chased velocity the more I found accuracy suffers in 90% of the rifles I have loaded for. With the main exception being a 16in 308 gas gun. I was pushing 168 Amax at 2750 FPS in that thing and it was the most accurate load for that rifle.

My recce is a prime example, my 77gr TMK with 23gr tac is 2600 FPS and regularly prints 1/2 moa. Hell its shot 1/4 on a lot of occasions. Of course these are 5 shot groups at 100. As soon as I go near max pressure or try to achieve max velocity it will open up to an inch.

BC plays a huge role in this as does the “explosion donut” around the bottom of the projectile. This is why 6.5 Lapua is such an amazing cartridge. The base of the bullet does not drop below the neck of the case so it has a completely even push out of the case.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:42:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#5]
Yeah, I probably heard it from  you.  LOL.

The whole thing reminds me, I really need to take my M4gery, put my 3x9 on it and put it on my lower with my 2 stage trigger and bench it at 100.  I've only benched it at 50 yards with a 4x on the carry handle.  But every which way I shoot that thing it seems to display better precision than any of my other AR's.  My recce has top dog at this point for benched 100 yard groups.   But I've never actually done that with the M4gery.  It's an RRA HBAR.

It has constantly surprised me how well it will shoot, even though I can't barely use carbine iron sights with my eyes.  It will shoot better than my sight picture tells me.  So...  I really need to give it a true test.  Will be interesting to see if it will actually be better than my recce at 100 yards.

I gotta try it with a fixed stock too.  It's easier for me to shoot well with a fixed stock.....
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:
I shoot with Utah a bunch. That thing is sub moa. Shot very tight with off the shelf 55gr as well. Shot even better with 77gr!

Your theory is most of the time correct. I also came to this conclusion a few years ago while reloading.

The more I chased velocity the more I found accuracy suffers in 90% of the rifles I have loaded for. With the main exception being a 16in 308 gas gun. I was pushing 168 Amax at 2750 FPS in that thing and it was the most accurate load for that rifle.

My recce is a prime example, my 77gr TMK with 23gr tac is 2600 FPS and regularly prints 1/2 moa. Hell its shot 1/4 on a lot of occasions. Of course these are 5 shot groups at 100. As soon as I go near max pressure or try to achieve max velocity it will open up to an inch.

BC plays a huge role in this as does the "explosion donut" around the bottom of the projectile. This is why 6.5 Lapua is such an amazing cartridge. The base of the bullet does not drop below the neck of the case so it has a completely even push out of the case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

BC plays a huge role in this as does the "explosion donut" around the bottom of the projectile. This is why 6.5 Lapua is such an amazing cartridge. The base of the bullet does not drop below the neck of the case so it has a completely even push out of the case.
Good post, Clay.

@JJREA, here's a pic of a recent group I shot with plain old off-the-shelf 55gr M193.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:42:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#7]
-.22 equals less than 1/2".  If that's 100 that's really good.  But I do have to admit, 3 shots really doesn't cut it.    You gotta go at least 5 to really count.  But for hunters standards, that's a really good group.

What kind of M193 was it?  You remember?  Lately I feel like Federal XM193 is shooting the best.   But I don't think I can get it THAT good.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#8]
-.22 equals less than 1/2".  If that's 100 that's really good.  But I do have to admit, 3 shots really doesn't cut it.    You gotta go at least 5 to really count.  But for hunters standards, that's a really good group.

What kind of M193 was it?  You remember?  Lately I feel like Federal XM193 is shooting the best.   But I don't think I can get it THAT good.
View Quote
IIRC, it was just a box of Fiocchi 55gr I grabbed off the shelf at Dick's. I agree on the group, though; three-shot groups don't really prove anything. I was tuning my zero and just happened to string these three together. Once I zero a gun, I don't really shoot groups after that; I'm more focused on doing drills and running around and shooting, lol.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:05:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Infidel4life11] [#9]
Faux Can
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#10]

IIRC, it was just a box of Fiocchi 55gr I grabbed off the shelf at Dick's. I agree on the group, though; three-shot groups don't really prove anything. I was tuning my zero and just happened to string these three together. Once I zero a gun, I don't really shoot groups after that; I'm more focused on doing drills and running around and shooting, lol.
View Quote
I hear ya.   I'm too low speed high drag for that.  Getting old and body sucks.  So sometimes I just plop down either prone or at a bench and shoot some accuracy groups for fun, relaxation and truth finding.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:15:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rgb] [#11]

Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rgb:
https://i.imgur.com/di3q3cK.jpg
View Quote
Wood intercourse
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#13]
My super awesome blast shield came in, real one in the works....

Link Posted: 2/2/2018 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#14]
all these mod 1 builds making me want to drop money on more KAC and an AEM can
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Fellas with the Faux Can/Blast Shield, have you guys notice any shifts on impact shooting with it on and off..??
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Jormungandr:
all these mod 1 builds making me want to drop money on more KAC and an AEM can
View Quote
I have no idea what you're waiting on, dood.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#17]

I have no idea what you're waiting on, dood.
View Quote
That goes for you too chief. Chop chop...
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SSOUNN:
Fellas with the Faux Can/Blast Shield, have you guys notice any shifts on impact shooting with it on and off..??
View Quote
lol, silly rabbit, people with faux cans don't actually shoot their guns.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:16:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dobs013] [#19]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

View Quote
I shoot mine, although I don't have access to all the cool places to shoot you guys do. I get to shoot in a place where I'm a foot and a half away from people on either side. I gotta move
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
I Shoot mines plenty, up until after one range session, I let my cousins shoot a few rounds with my rifle, and I was standing beside him.. OH BOY the blast to the face tho lmao.. But I’m just curious if there’s any shift with it installed, plus living here in Commiefornia is not all that pleasant, can’t own any of the good stuff.. but I’m got going to make that stop me from shooting..
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

That goes for you too chief. Chop chop...
View Quote
lol, what do I need to get?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#22]

lol, what do I need to get?
View Quote
It’s the only time in your life you want to be a little over 2” shorter...
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
If you do anything too a barrel there will be a POI shift.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:
View All Quotes
Was afraid that’ll be the case, but just hoping not by much, we’ll see when it’ll arrives.. Hoping I don’t have to Re-Qualify to shoot at the 300rd Range..
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Was afraid that’ll be the case, but just hoping not by much, we’ll see when it’ll arrives.. Hoping I don’t have to Re-Qualify to shoot at the 300rd Range..
View All Quotes
WHUT?

Oh yeah...Kali.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:34:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSOUNN] [#27]
WHUT?

Oh yeah...Kali.
View All Quotes
WHUT?

Oh yeah...Kali.
Apologies if it didn’t make any sense lol.. But yeah unfortunately the outdoor range I go to has access to 100yrds to 1k yards.. available ranges to the public is 25-100.. to shoot at the 300yrd range you’ll have to qualify by shooting a 2-3 MOA Group @ 100yrd and get a RO to sign it off, if not RO has to stand there next to you while paper punching.. luckily that hasn’t happen to me yet.. =\ To have access to all the other ranges, you’ll have to become a member..
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Apologies if it didn’t make any sense lol.. But yeah unfortunately the outdoor range I go to has access to 100yrds to 1k yards.. available ranges to the public is 25-100.. to shoot at the 300yrd range you’ll have to qualify by shooting a 2-3 MOA Group @ 100rds and get a RO to sign it off, if not RO has to stand there next to you while paper punching.. luckily that hasn’t happen to me yet.. =\ To have access to all the other ranges, you’ll have to become a member..
View Quote
so non freefloated m855 with irons groups are good to go?

Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Apologies if it didn’t make any sense lol.. But yeah unfortunately the outdoor range I go to has access to 100yrds to 1k yards.. available ranges to the public is 25-100.. to shoot at the 300yrd range you’ll have to qualify by shooting a 2-3 MOA Group @ 100rds and get a RO to sign it off, if not RO has to stand there next to you while paper punching.. luckily that hasn’t happen to me yet.. =\ To have access to all the other ranges, you’ll have to become a member..
View All Quotes
WHUT?

Oh yeah...Kali.
Jeebus.

While I don't have anything beyond 300 (or skills to really want to), I just call up my buddy and we go out to his family farm and blast away. We can juuuuust barely do 300, but we usually drop a plate at 100 and 200.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

I really can’t answer that lol.. Plus I’ve NEVER seen anyone qualify with irons before
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I really can’t answer that lol.. Plus I’ve NEVER seen anyone qualify with irons before
View All Quotes

How often do you have to qual? Just when you want to step up to a longer range or yearly?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:36:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#32]
3 rounds or 5?  That's quite the requirement.  I'd be sure to take match ammo and some glass if I knew I had to shoot that.  And some good rests.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:51:16 PM EDT
[#33]
3 rounds or 5?  That's quite the requirement.  I'd be sure to take match ammo and some glass if I knew I had to shoot that.  And some good rests.
View Quote
I'd bring this for the lulz. Being Cali, most of that stuff is a no-go though.

Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#34]

How often do you have to qual? Just when you want to step up to a longer range or yearly?
View Quote
I usually quality every other year.. Even tho the card that they sign off has an expiration date of 12 months.. but I’ve been a member since 07 yeah I’m a regular lol, but I haven’t renewed my membership this year yet, plus I’m sure there NEW RO’s out there and I’ll have to start all over again..
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:20:25 AM EDT
[#35]

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2836/32738386030_0077102831_b.jpg
View All Quotes

Look at ALL THE GOODNESS in this picture .. Here in Commnie, we can’t have SBR’s, FA, Suppressors, Binary Triggers, Even a stupid Bump Fire Stock (Not a Fan Anyways) OHH THE HORROR
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
1st place MOA ALL DAY LONG SBR Divion.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes

I should try it once just to see how it'll do.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Better picture

Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Dobs013:
Better picture

https://i.imgur.com/XUqlh1h.jpg
View Quote
So what's the point of the faux can?
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:35:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dobs013] [#41]
Originally Posted By sevin8nin:

So what's the point of the faux can?
View Quote
There's not really a point to it, acts as a blast shield which helps a little when you are on a firing line with a bunch of other people, I'm running a custom setup on a Noveske barrel so I'm using it to check the fitment of everything too before I go investing money into a can that won't work with this setup.

And it's been useful for checking fit, I had to switch from a threaded Smith vortex back to the ae brake because the can would seat with the smith fh
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
Like they used to say.....  That thing is the shiznit.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Dobs013:
Better picture

https://i.imgur.com/XUqlh1h.jpg
View Quote
Cool. Just need the real thing to screw on the end now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Cool. Just need the real thing to screw on the end now.
View Quote
Now that everything is good with it, I’m gonna pick up a knurled aem 5 from Capitol Armory.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:22:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rybe390] [#45]
Here is my 0-1,000 yard gun.

DDm4v5
16" DD barrel
Geissele ssa-e trigger
Vortex pst 1-4 mil
ADM recon mount
12" dd m4 lite rail
B5 bravo stock
A2 grip
Streamlight hlx in a thorntail

Running speed drills with it

And the view from the 1,000 yard line
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By rybe390:

DDm4v5
16” DD barrel
Geissele ssa-e trigger
Vortex pst 1-4 mil
ADM recon mount
12” dd m4 lite rail
B5 bravo stock
A2 grip

http://i.imgur.com/FYlYe8S.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/x2hMa5o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/S1BE3vM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hQJoRUk.jpg
View Quote
Very nice practical setup there. Love the range card on the stock too. How is it making hits out past 600+ with the Vortex 1-4?  I used to have on, and I actually really liked it, but I never got to shoot it very far.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By sevin8nin:

Very nice practical setup there. Love the range card on the stock too. How is it making hits out past 600+ with the Vortex 1-4?  I used to have on, and I actually really liked it, but I never got to shoot it very far.
View Quote
Thank you!

The range card has drops for 0, 5000, and 10000 ft DA, so it's pretty handy here in Colorado where you can fairly easily hit all 3 or come very close.

On an AC zone ipsc, it's pretty easy to see out until 850 or so. At 1,000, the target is small, but you can still see it. I'd say I'm comfortable with this optic out to 800, 1,000 yard day was for fun and definitely stretching, but doable. I just like the versatility, I also run the gun in carbine matches indoors at 1x and it's just as fast as everyone's red dots.

Within 600, I can double tap a target and have both rounds out before hearing the report of steel from the first shot. It's pretty fun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By rybe390:

DDm4v5
16" DD barrel
Geissele ssa-e trigger
Vortex pst 1-4 mil
ADM recon mount
12" dd m4 lite rail
B5 bravo stock
A2 grip

https://i.imgur.com/FYlYe8S.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/x2hMa5o.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S1BE3vM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hQJoRUk.jpg
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Thought I'd stir the pot a little this morning with this gem I just found on the 'Gram.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Thought I'd stir the pot a little this morning with this gem I just found on the 'Gram.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/111561/IMG_0012-442151.JPG
View Quote
Nice, medium ff ras love
Page / 220
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top