Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 58
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:24:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drifter_r6] [#1]
Originally Posted By Mad4wd:
Originally Posted By a1abdj:
   amsec dealers are amsec's worst enemy. who needs competition when your own dealers are trying to do you in?  
View Quote

But the great news is that these guys will sell for less, since they don't have any investment tied up on the knowledge side.  
View Quote

It's very frustrating for us as consumers though in my opinion. I have called a company local to me, went to see them, told him what I was interested in...he had zero knowledge and never called me back with pricing. I used the dealer listing on the AMSEC site to find other dealers...one was disconnected and one didn't carry the product anymore.
 I called the company to talk to them and they gave me the name of a wholesaler who I called to try and find who they are selling to and got one name. It would be a great idea to have the amsec dealer site list updated and also list if they can handle installations. Now I'm am either looking at driving almost 2 hours to just look at a safe and I don't know if they can install it due to my distance (if so at what extra cost?).  
For wanting to spend 5k with a company solely based on TSG and this thread...I am having a hard time and frustrated with the lack of support and knowledge of the product from people selling the product.
View Quote

I echo what Mad4wd has stated.  Even tho, I've already made my purchase and anxiously awaiting delivery.  Shopping and getting the info/pricing from the listed dealers was a horrible experience.  I deliberately drove 20-60 miles outside my immediate area in hopes of finding a authorized dealer who was knowledgeable and had good customer service.  All I did was waste fuel in the process, could have saved the hassle and just ordered online.  Ultimately, I went with a dealer who was knowledgeable with a good customer service history but I'm unsure if they are/were even authorized dealers (grey market??).  Hopefully I receive my safe as ordered.  As Mad has stated, if it wasn't for my own research, TSG and this thread, reinforcing critical information, I may have purchased another brand.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:59:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MattK2] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MattK2:
I know the Amvault TL-15 and TL-30 safes use the same body which has been tested using a TL-30 tool complement under the 5 minute equivalency rule.  As I understand it, the TL-15 door is only tested with a TL-15 tool set that does not include grinding wheels and power saws.  I'm curious how the TL-15 door stacks up against the body.  Obviously it is designed to resist breach for 15 minutes compared to 5 minutes on the body; however, with the smaller allowed tool set, grinding wheels and power saws are not used.  Given an equal tool set, is the TL-15 door still stronger than the TL-15/TL-30 body?  Thanks!
View Quote

TSG - Today I received my new CE2518.  I love the Granite finish.  AMSEC did a fantastic job packaging the safe for delivery.  You were a huge part in why I went with AMSEC.  I couldn't be happier and want to again thank you for your contributions.

By the way, would you be able to speak in general terms (see question above) to the differences between the TL-15 door and TL-15/TL-30 body?  Thanks again.

Matt
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It's very frustrating for us as consumers though in my opinion.  
View Quote

Just imagine how frustrating it is for us real professionals, when these manufacturers will sell their products through anybody who's willing to pay for them, and don't enforce any real means of protecting the value of their products.  They have done the math.  They make more money this way, so that's where we're at today.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Just imagine how frustrating it is for us real professionals, when these manufacturers will sell their products through anybody who's willing to pay for them, and don't enforce any real means of protecting the value of their products.  They have done the math.  They make more money this way, so that's where we're at today.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

eventually the manufacturers who get their dealer network under control will find it a competetive advantage over those that don't.

the gun safe distribution and sales network seems incredibly immature compared to other industries. and yet safe manufacturing is an old industry. wtf.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

Honestly...the people I was having problems with are brick and mortar locksmiths...not  internet only if that's what you were thinking. I could have ordered online by now, but I want to see one and have someone set the thing in my house.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:01:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Mad4wd:
Honestly...the people I was having problems with are brick and mortar locksmiths...not  internet only if that's what you were thinking. I could have ordered online by now, but I want to see one and have someone set the thing in my house.
View Quote

I have forwarded your info to the right guy to get you hooked up. Hopefully I'll get some feedback soon.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Honestly...the people I was having problems with are brick and mortar locksmiths  
View Quote

They're not always that much different than the web guys.  I belong to a few professional organizations, and a few of them have online forums similar to this.  One of the things we do there is share information.  It is not uncommon to have "professionals" asking very basic questions.  It is also not uncommon for some of these "professionals" to simply be led by the hand because they already "have a customer", but don't have the knowledge or tools to complete the job.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:37:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Wish to thank both TSG and the other folks contributing to this very informative thread.  In the market for first gun/valuable safe and spent some time at West Coast Safes a few days ago.  Went to look at the Liberty Franklin, saw a couple AMSECs and decided to do some more research.  Then found this thread.  I live in avocado country in N San Diego county...hills, private & narrow roads.  Very difficult to impossible to get a typical freight truck up my 200ft driveway with a 15deg incline, so most of them park at the entry and wait for me to show up with my Kubota and fork lift attachment.    

Anyway, now looking at either a BF6030 or BF6032 instead of the Liberty Franklin 25.  Planning an internet buy.  If drop ship from Fontana CA (just down the freeway from me), might save some dough if I can willcall.  The Kubota will handle offload/staging.  Then off the pallet, over a porch step (3"), house entry, through the kitchen (tile), short hallway (wood floor), to a carpeted room corner.  Current moving team is me (5'10" healthy 57yr old), daughter's bo (6'3" fitness trainer) and possibly my son (6' 190lbs ex special forces).  For you folks who have moved one of these (or equivalent), can it be done <carefully> with 2-3 determined guys?  Should I consider taking the door off, particularly with the 6030?  All suggestions/recommendations welcome.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#9]
your daughter single 70runner... LOL

that safe isnt too heavy im sure they can handle that with a pallet jack and some ply wood
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Either of those weighs about a thousand pounds.
That's about twice a large fridge. With all the help you have, it should be a snap.
Very good choices btw. Outstanding fire protection.
If you want to beef up the security side, the 4ga. liner will take care of that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 70runner:
Wish to thank both TSG and the other folks contributing to this very informative thread.  In the market for first gun/valuable safe and spent some time at West Coast Safes a few days ago.  Went to look at the Liberty Franklin, saw a couple AMSECs and decided to do some more research.  Then found this thread.  I live in avocado country in N San Diego county...hills, private & narrow roads.  Very difficult to impossible to get a typical freight truck up my 200ft driveway with a 15deg incline, so most of them park at the entry and wait for me to show up with my Kubota and fork lift attachment.    

Anyway, now looking at either a BF6030 or BF6032 instead of the Liberty Franklin 25.  Planning an internet buy.  If drop ship from Fontana CA (just down the freeway from me), might save some dough if I can willcall.  The Kubota will handle offload/staging.  Then off the pallet, over a porch step (3"), house entry, through the kitchen (tile), short hallway (wood floor), to a carpeted room corner.  Current moving team is me (5'10" healthy 57yr old), daughter's bo (6'3" fitness trainer) and possibly my son (6' 190lbs ex special forces).  For you folks who have moved one of these (or equivalent), can it be done <carefully> with 2-3 determined guys?  Should I consider taking the door off, particularly with the 6030?  All suggestions/recommendations welcome.
View Quote

70runner, I just went through the exact same exercise.  I just received an AMVault CE2518.  It was my first heavy safe at just over 1100 lbs.  I had the safe delivered on a pallet in my garage.  Getting it into the house required an 8" step onto the front porch and a 5" step over the brick threshold into the house.  Moving crew included me, and two other people.  It was my first time moving something this heavy.  We ended up building a ramp (blocking up 2x4s under OSB) to get onto the porch and protecting the threshold with a steel plate (OSB would work here too).  We built a 1200 lb wood dolly with casters and were able to easily move the safe from the pallet by slipping some steel rollers under the safe and rolling to the dolly.  Once on the dolly, we used ratcheting tie downs, and wheeled the safe up the ramp onto the front porch and into the house.  Just make the ramp gradual enough 6-8' long for an 8" rise and two-three people can easily wheel the safe up the ramp.  It helps to wedge a 2x6 behind the dolly to step the safe up the ramp.  Once in the house, we used a small 4' ramp to slide the safe off the dolly onto the floor.  We used steel rollers and golf balls to get it into its final place.  It's really not difficult at all if you have a little bit of help.  It's really about technique and leverage.  If the safe is tall as in your BF, it shouldn't be too hard to tip up to slip some rollers under it.  My AMvault is not as tall so I didn't have quite as much leverage.  A 2-4' crow bar under the safe provided enough leverage to slip the rollers under the safe.  Use plywood to protect your floors/carpet.  Just take your time and think it through and you'll have no problem.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:15:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drifter_r6] [#12]
Waited all this time for the BF and it's not exactly what I ordered ...time to wait some more.  :(    Pics of the "loaner" until the replacement gets here.

Thanks to all the safe experts who shared their expertise and knowledge, you are greatly appreciated.  After getting hands on and thoroughly inspecting this one, I know I made the right decision.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By drifter_r6:
Waited all this time for the BF and it's not exactly what I ordered ...time to wait some more.  :(    Pics of the "loaner" until the replacement gets here.

Thanks to all the safe experts who shared their expertise and knowledge, you are greatly appreciated.  After getting hands on and thoroughly inspecting this one, I know I made the right decision.

http://<a href=http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac248/drifter_r6/photo1_zpse1204ede.jpg

http://<a href=http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac248/drifter_r6/photo2_zpsd4fe5b6a.jpg
View Quote

What was wrong??
Loaner??
Sounds like a great dealer.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#14]
will amsec install an ethernet passthrough if requested?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bani:
View Quote

Can you define what your idea of an "Ethernet Pass-through" might be, technically speaking?

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:22:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tyromeo55] [#16]
Originally Posted By TheSafeGuy:

Can you define what your idea of an "Ethernet Pass-through" might be, technically speaking?

View All Quotes

when I had data in my safe my "passthru" was a 1/4 " hole with the cable terminated after it was routed into the safe.  With that said maybe he was talking about one of these?

https://www.carltonbates.com/Voice-Data-Media/TE-CONNECTIVITY/Circular-Sealed-RJ-45-Outlet-Black-8-Wire-RJ45/1546413-3/p/74114919131-1?mkwid=GVbB1pGz&pcrid=37626979514&gclid=CJSr_8PV5r0CFQaBfgodSSYAGw
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

sort of like what cannon provides:

amsec only provides a power passthrough. cannon provides power and ethernet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#18]
http://www.cannonsafe.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/e/media_trans_background_2_9.png

View Quote

Well, let me see what we can do. I think it would be obvious that the giant breech in fire insulation that the Canon solution requires is probably making their fire rating completely null and void. That is a huge hole thru the safe wall, and that box and hardware all melt away real quick in a fire. Our Power Port requires a relatively small hole by comparison, and it's stuffed with materials that largely plug the hole. Our Power Port was installed in our recent series of fire tests, so we have proven our design does not compromise the superior fire protection of the BF series.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:10:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: turnip75] [#19]

Well, let me see what we can do. I think it would be obvious that the giant breech in fire insulation that the Canon solution requires is probably making their fire rating completely null and void. That is a huge hole thru the safe wall, and that box and hardware all melt away real quick in a fire. Our Power Port requires a relatively small hole by comparison, and it's stuffed with materials that largely plug the hole. Our Power Port was installed in our recent series of fire tests, so we have proven our design does not compromise the superior fire protection of the BF series.
View All Quotes
http://www.cannonsafe.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/e/media_trans_background_2_9.png

Yep, that's exactly what that huge hole does. I've seen one after a fire and you could clearly see the blackened interior around it after the passthrough insert deformed and left a large hole.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By turnip75:

Yep, that's exactly what that huge hole does. I've seen one after a fire and you could clearly see the blackened interior around it after the passthrough insert deformed and left a large hole.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By turnip75:

As a computer person I can offer a solution here - if you have a hardwired power connector available, the consumer does not need a ethernet port, there is a ethernet-over-power solution.  As an example (not an endorsement, I haven't used this one) see http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=pd_cp_pc_0.  You plug one adapter into the inside of the safe, plug the safe in to the wall, and plug the other adapter in near your router (works best if on the same circuit breaker as the safe connection).
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Those work well but keep in mind any kind of powered on electronics will generate heat. With the safe sealed there is nowhere to vent the heat.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Those work well but keep in mind any kind of powered on electronics will generate heat. With the safe sealed there is nowhere to vent the heat.
View Quote

That's right. Be careful on this point. We know that dry-rods find acceptable temperature rise limits. These devices use around 15-20 Watts. It would be wise not to exceed these limits on the wattage that the device is rated for. Remember, the wattage a device consumes in electrical power is almost completely converted to heat energy.  So, the wattage rating of the device should represent the amount of heat it will inject into the environment. If you are not sure about the wattage, it can be estimated by the Voltage x Amperage (P = V x I).
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:59:00 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

this one would work as well.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:06:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AzureReaver:
As a computer person I can offer a solution here - if you have a hardwired power connector available, the consumer does not need a ethernet port, there is a ethernet-over-power solution.  As an example (not an endorsement, I haven't used this one) see http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=pd_cp_pc_0.  You plug one adapter into the inside of the safe, plug the safe in to the wall, and plug the other adapter in near your router (works best if on the same circuit breaker as the safe connection).
View Quote

yes, i have tried to use those TP link ones, as well as linksys and belkin. they are all ridiculously slow and unreliable. when they work you are lucky to get 50mbps, which is pretty useless for intended use - a NAS inside a safe.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:19:28 AM EDT
[#25]

That's right. Be careful on this point. We know that dry-rods find acceptable temperature rise limits. These devices use around 15-20 Watts. It would be wise not to exceed these limits on the wattage that the device is rated for. Remember, the wattage a device consumes in electrical power is almost completely converted to heat energy.  So, the wattage rating of the device should represent the amount of heat it will inject into the environment. If you are not sure about the wattage, it can be estimated by the Voltage x Amperage (P = V x I).
View All Quotes

it's pretty easy to build a NAS which uses 20W or less these days.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Amsec's pimped-out site is up: http://www.amsecusa.com
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Slick.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone find bugs or errors, please send me a PM and let me know.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#29]
[span style='font-size: 10pt;'][span style='font-weight: bold;']Well, let me see what we can do. I think it would be obvious that the giant breech in fire insulation that the Canon solution requires is probably making their fire rating completely null and void. That is a huge hole thru the safe wall, and that box and hardware all melt away real quick in a fire.
View Quote

Well, you don't need a 4" x 4" hole to get a 1/4" wire through.

You could offer an option where the fire/security wall of the safe has just a small hole for a power and network cable, and on the inside there's a small box to put the jacks in, wall-wart style. You'd lose about 30 cubic inches of safe volume, tops.

I'm moving in less than 2 months, will be buying an Amsec then, so please get this option worked out and available sometime in the next 60 days.

At a minimum I'll need that 1/4" hole so I can stuff some cat5 through and roll my own.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Drill a hole through the power port and run the cable through.

Pg.15, ethernet through power port

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Drill a hole through the power port and run the cable through.

Pg.15, ethernet through power port

View Quote

that might work, though i would worry about amsec voiding the warranty.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#32]

that might work, though i would worry about amsec voiding the warranty.
View Quote

Nahhh, no void for that.

Here is what I would recommend. If you remove the Power Port, you can open it up, and do a little dremel work. Remove the red tab on the power connection part, and then open slots or holes int he fire-walls in the power port's lower body to route your Ethernet cable thru.

" />
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:06:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSafeGuy] [#33]
I posted this in another thread. Thought I would plant this work here for readers seeking knowledge.

As with any manufacturer, locks come in grades of quality and cost, just like any other product family. Locks are no different. Service reliability usually follows the relative cost/quality relationship. The 6730 Group 2 lock today is all but forgotten. It was replaced largely by the 6630, the Group 2M version that qualifies for installation on TL rated safes. For RSC rated safes, the Group 2 rating is the baseline requirement for UL listing. Most safe companies migrated to the 6741 locks long ago where the safe rating would allow the change, because it is so much less costly.

Others moved to other brands, predominantly the LaGard 3300. The cost of Dial & Dial Ring kits was a big factor too, whereas the price of S&G Dials have always been considerably higher cost. It's a package deal, and the combined cost for a set, lock-dial-ring, has been the metric for these choices. Long ago, LaGard offered package prices that were considerably cheaper. For a while, almost everyone in the gunsafe business moved to LaGard with a few exceptions.

In the Locksmith world, the LaGard has a legacy of poor reliability. That legacy came from a bad launch of their products in the early 80's, and a series of poor decisions choices about how to support the industry when they had a serious rash of failures. Those problems were resolved long ago, but the legacy lives on. In the gunsafe industry, the lack of technical expertise of the market allowed the LaGard product to thrive and aggressive pricing placed it in a leading role. There were other players that came and went. The Taylor Resources PPI P70 lock, later bought by Ilco-Unican had it's day. They faded after Ilco bought the company. Then, the more recent player, the Lock1One came to play with a 6730 level knock-off that is now known as the BigRed. This is the lock that AMSEC uses today on all of the gunsafe and residential products, as well as many light commercial safes. The BigRed has been a good lock at a low price, but retained the high quality traits of the 6730.

The key differences in these locks are materials and manufacturing methods. The traditional 6730/6630 locks are a collection of machined and stamped brass alloy parts, as is the BigRed. The S&G 6741 and LaGard 3300 locks are largely made of zinc die-cast and aluminum stamping components. The machined brass parts are far more precise, durable and longer lasting. The brass parts cost a lot more to manufacture, and are made for a far more expensive material, hence the cost differences.

As for reliability, our records don't favor one over the other much in this diverse lock spectrum when used in residential applications. The typical residential user opens a safe once or twice per day. In commercial use, the safes can be opened more than 100 times each day. So, the problem becomes longevity, and this is where the locks with brass components bear fruit with much better wear characteristics, resulting in longer service life. A typical mechanical lock will operate 30,000-50,000 cycles if it is serviced regularly. Therein lies the hitch... mechanical locks require periodic service, and in commercial applications they get that service if the owner is prudent and has robust maintenance programs for all of their equipment.

In residential use, 30,000 cycles is a lifetime, so the longevity of the locks becomes far less evident. Most of these low-cost locks installed in the early 90's will not reach their service limits for another 30-40 years. Consequently, the residential user is not inclined to solicit regular service to extend the life.

Service failures on residential safe locks are mostly attributed to poor combo setting techniques in factories focused on mass production, where the care and precision is disregarded. Another huge source of problems is in the selling cycle, wherein the dealers interfere with the process by setting the safes on simple common one-number combos for display purposes, then later return the combo to the factory numbers when they sell the safe. These dealers are not trained in the delicate process, and they are responsible for a  huge source of lockouts and service calls.

Combo locks have a "dialing tolerance", where there is a range around the ideal set-point of each number that should allow the lock to open. Our factory setting process requires the installer to test the over/under range to verify the combo is set properly. This quality step is imposed on our import vendors as well. Every lock is dialed 1/2 high and low to assure each number is set in the middle of that tolerance range. I know most other gunsafe manufacturers hardly understand these concepts. These are lessons learned from decades of making safes for commercial service.

Which brings me to the point of the dialog. Electronic locks. Since I designed the first retrofittable digital safe lock in 1989, it has been a standard of ours to assure a lock that lives service-free for at least 1,000,000 cycles. Yes, that's what I said, one million cycles without any regular maintenance. I can't say the same for any of the "other" lock manufacturers. The UL ratings only require 10,000 cycles. I won't share the brand vs longevity data we have collected, but suffice it to say this is largely why so many have low regard for electronic locks. We have all had our challenges with e-locks as the technology evolved. I can say, without reservation, that the ESL10 and ESL20 lock we make today lasts longer and fails less than any other mechanical or electronic lock made. We keep detailed statistics, and we sell almost every lock made, so this is genuine statistic based on real service reliability.

So, digital locks have a legacy of their own, but that has been polluted by the failings of lock companies to test and maintain a continuous improvement program like our own. Newcomers with products designed in China by engineers unfamiliar with our safes and history have brought a cloud of doubt of e-locks. Some of our own big-name US companies have had wide-spread failures with poor designs and poor quality control, adding to the negative light shed on e-locks.

In the grand scheme, the e-lock is a MUCH better choice, if a quality lock is selected. Backup mechanical systems are a band-aid for digital reliability. The e-lock offers the user the privacy of combo change without anyone else knowing the code. They offer absolute manipulation resistance, as code testing is prevented with penalty lockout periods. They live longer by as much as 100 times. They auto-lock when the door is closed, so there is never the accidental unlocked safe because you neglected to spin the dial off the combo.  They don't require regular costly professional service, and they are many times faster to open in crisis conditions.

You choose, but do that with your eyes wide open.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#34]
it's too bad all your dealers lobby so hard against e-locks, going so far as to threaten to not honor warranty service if you get an e-lock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:32:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSafeGuy] [#35]
it's too bad all your dealers lobby so hard against e-locks, going so far as to threaten to not honor warranty service if you get an e-lock.
View Quote

Let's not forget where the burden of Warranty lies. This is not a choice for a dealer, this is a responsibility for the manufacturer. If a dealer makes such a threat to a customer, they are completely out of bounds. The customer is whom we serve. I would hope that consumers seeking the goods they want would understand that and baulk at any contingency of this nature. This is not a choice for the dealer to make. A call to the factory would remedy any such impropriety, and the dealer will be corrected.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:09:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: anaxagoras] [#36]
I'm looking for a front opening night stand safe for 2 pistols and 4 mags.  I'd be opening it twice every day.  My EDC would go in there at night, and my full size home defense pistol would stay in there plus 2 spare mags for both).  I prefer the idea of a mechanical lock like the simplex, i feel like there is less to go wrong.  I like the PS1210HD pistol box, but it being top opener isn't want, and there probably wouldn't be room for the pistols and the mags.  Fort knox makes something, however it doesn't appear large enough for 2 pistols and 4 mags.   GunVault makes something the size I want, but I have no faith in their products after a bad experience.

I'm interested in the ESF1214 but i'm cautious with biometrics only for something i need to work 100% of the time every time.  I know nothing is 100%, but i'm just cautious of a finger print reader as I've had mixed results.  Some work really well 95% of the time and some are lousy all the time.  I know it has a key, but i'm not going to want to be fumbling for it in a time of duress.  What kind of power source does the ESF1214 use?  Batteries? Wall Plug? Both?  Is there a low battery warning?    Do you think the finger print reader is reliable and consistent enough?  Easy to use in a time of stress?  Would you use it as your nightstand pistol safe?

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:12:06 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By anaxagoras:

I'm looking for a front opening night stand safe for 2 pistols and 4 mags.  I'd be opening it twice every day.  My EDC would go in there at night, and my full size home defense pistol would stay in there plus 2 spare mags for both).  I prefer the idea of a mechanical lock like the simplex, i feel like there is less to go wrong.  I like the PS1210HD pistol box, but it being top opener isn't want, and there probably wouldn't be room for the pistols and the mags.  Fort knox makes something, however it doesn't appear large enough for 2 pistols and 4 mags.   GunVault makes something the size I want, but I have no faith in their products after a bad experience.

I'm interested in the ESF1214 but i'm cautious with biometrics only for something i need to work 100% of the time every time.  I know nothing is 100%, but i'm just cautious of a finger print reader as I've had mixed results.  Some work really well 95% of the time and some are lousy all the time.  I know it has a key, but i'm not going to want to be fumbling for it in a time or duress.  What kind of power source does the ESF1214 use?  Batteries? Wall Plug? Both?  Is there a low battery warning?    Do you think the finger print reader is reliable and consistent enough?  Easy to use in a time of stress?  Would you use it as your nightstand pistol safe?

View Quote

An e-lock with a proven reliability for 1 MILLION cycles isn't good enough for you?  I would sure take it over biometrics, just MHO.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:12:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Happy Easter, Tony!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:49:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: anaxagoras] [#39]
Originally Posted By aklferris:
An e-lock with a proven reliability for 1 MILLION cycles isn't good enough for you?  I would sure take it over biometrics, just MHO.

View Quote

Yeah that would be great... It sure would be nice if you were helpful enough to me which safe in their lineup use their proven e-lock and is a small nightstand sized safe that holds 2+ pistols and opens from the front?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Yeah that would be great... It sure would be nice if you were helpful enough to me which safe in their lineup use their proven e-lock and is a small nightstand sized safe that holds 2+ pistols and opens from the front?

View All Quotes

I'll let TSG elaborate, but from page 3:  

Last year we released the ESL5, and we are now installing that as standard equipment on several lines.

UL Type 1 testing is in process right now, should be done in 2-3 weeks.

Yes, the ESL5 has successfully opened 1,000,000 cycles.

ESL5 has a back-lit keypad, and allows you to mute the beeper. It's
also very low cost. We can now make it standard equipment on several
lines.

From page 15:
What I
will say is that a new low-profile small footprint electronic lock will
be installed on all of our small imported steel safes and fire safes
that used to sport the bounce-able solenoid. The lock inside is the same
lock now going on Gunsafes, the ESL5. This lock will soon have UL Type 1
rating (the highest rating possible). The new ESL5LP lock and keypad
setup will raise the bar, and none of our competitors have a low cost
option to compete. Product introductions went out on Monday to the
Industry.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:53:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSafeGuy] [#41]
Happy Easter!

The ESL5 is in the final stages of listing now. There have been some delays with our production cycle, but it should be completed very soon.

The ES1214 is not a product we make, it is an imported safe we contracted as a special edition unit. The Fingerprint Reader works very well in our testing, and so far it has proven to be reliable with no service failures I have heard about. We have a couple units in the office that get regular use in daily business, and they work great. However, this is not a lock that we have tested to 1 million cycles to be honest. Testing a fingerprint recognition device that many times is difficult, as you might imagine.

My honest opinion, I would not use ANY fingerprint reader for fast-access weapon storage. They work -most- of the time, but not -every- time. We found that if you enroll your favorite finger 4-5 times with slightly different positioning on each one, the success rate increases significantly. But, even with that, this one fails to read one our maybe 10 times on the first try for me. One of the guys in the office has never had a failed read. Biometrics are always squirrely, and the subject traits can affect the success rates substantially. For example, Asians have very faint fingerprint ridges and definition. These things don't work well for them at all. You can downgrade the pass resolution so it passes at a higher rate, but then you compromise security as a result.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I've mentioned it before, but a lifetime warranty, or even a lifetime lockout warranty would go a long way. If your reliability is what you mention, it would be a miniscule cost. Its the greatest and not insurable risk to the safe buyer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:52:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: berry79] [#43]
Question? Just purchased the fv6032 and had a mechanical lock installed. It's a s&g 6651. How good is this particular lock? After reading this about the electric, I kind of wish I would have left it with that. Would the Els10 fit this safe, and how difficult would it be to install? I'm a mechanic by trade and I'm pretty good figuring things out. Would like to do it myself if possible. Not worried about the warranty.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:53:21 AM EDT
[#44]
I believe I've asked this before, but didn't get an answer.  What are the advantages of the ESL10 over the ESL5?  I know the ESL5 is supposed to have cheaper materials.  And, the ESL5 is backlit, but the ESL10 is not.  Does the ESL10 last longer?  

Is the only advantage of the ESL10 knowing that it has "more elegant" materials inside, but no real-world benefit?  

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm in the market for a new safe, and I really appreciate all the knowledge that has been shared on this forum. I have read all the postings and really learned a lot. I checked out the new web site, and I am able to download the 2014 AMSEC Gun Safe Catalog, but unable to download the 2014 Product Catalog. The error message that I receive is: "format error: not  a PDF or corrupted." Has anyone else had the same error?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By berry79:
Question? Just purchased the fv6032 and had a mechanical lock installed. It's a s&g 6651. How good is this particular lock? After reading this about the electric, I kind of wish I would have left it with that. Would the Els10 fit this safe, and how difficult would it be to install? I'm a mechanic by trade and I'm pretty good figuring things out. Would like to do it myself if possible. Not worried about the warranty.
View Quote

An ESL10 is very easy to install and set up. The most important thing to be careful about is the Relock Device, which can fire accidentally if it is not secured properly.

I am not familiar with the S&G 6651, and it does not appear on the S&G website. I think it's a seldom used 4-wheel version of the 6630 lock. We would not have any service statistics to measure the service reliability of this lock model. However, if it is what I think it might be, that should prove to be a very good mechanical lock with all brass parts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I believe I've asked this before, but didn't get an answer.  What are the advantages of the ESL10 over the ESL5?  I know the ESL5 is supposed to have cheaper materials.  And, the ESL5 is backlit, but the ESL10 is not.  Does the ESL10 last longer?  

Is the only advantage of the ESL10 knowing that it has "more elegant" materials inside, but no real-world benefit?  
View Quote

Both locks have been cycle tested to 1 million service-free openings. The key differences between the ESL5 and ESL10 are as follows:

1. The ESL10 (and ESL20) are direct solenoid pulling locks. The bolt is retracted by a big fat solenoid. The ESL5 uses a Swingbolt mechanism, which is a rotating bolt that is blocked by a small solenoid.

2. The ESL10/20 has a die-cast zinc alloy keypad housing. It is heavy and more durable in adverse conditions (like commercial use). The ESL5 has an ABS Plastic molded keypad housing. The metal finishes are "metalized", so they look and feel like metal housings. The black version is actually a rubberized coating finish that provides a cool silky feel to the touch.

3. The ESL10/20 uses a membrane keypad, which is very durable but has a weak or light tactile feel. The ESL5 uses a rubber button keypad with carbon puck contacts. It provides a much better tactile feel, allows fast key reaction, and allows the addition of the key backlighting that we have added. This type of keypad works great, but is not as very durable in adverse conditions and is less resistant to spills and contamination. For residential use, the rubber button is provides adequate durability.

4. The ESL5 beeper can be silenced for stealth mode, so the beeper remains quite during code entry. The ESL10/20 does not have this feature.

5. The ESL10/20 uses two (2) 9V batteries, extending battery life to over 6,000 openings in normal conditions. The ESL5 has only one (1) battery, and will operate around 3,000 openings on a single battery.

6. The ESL10/20 can have an optional A/C power module added to provide endless life, where the batteries act as a backup power source when power loss happens. The ESL5 does not have the expansion port for this purpose.

7. The ESL20 is an advanced version that provides commercial features: 10 Users, Time Delay, Remote Control Lockout, Dual Control, Armored Car bypass for Time delay, and a few other primary access control capabilities. The ESL10 and ESL5 are one-user locks without any of the Access Control features.

I hope that clears up the questions. I know literature is wordy, so most people don't pick up on some of the more subtle hidden differences.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:42:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: berry79] [#48]
Thanks for the reply. Think I'm going to change it out with a esl10. I've always said I'd stick with mechanical but seeing as how reliable these seem, I might just switch  over. I've only had this safe for a few days but don't know if I like all the dial turning. My old safe was just a 3-2-1 and open. This new lock is 4-3-2 and turn back until it stops. Doesn't seem like much but can definitely tell a difference in how long it takes me to get in. I think I read the esl10 will auto lock when closed for a certain amount of time. I really like that feature.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Also, were could I purchase the esl10?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By berry79:
Also, were could I purchase the esl10?
View Quote

You will need to contact an AMSEC Dealer or Distributor. There is a Dealer Locator on the website. We do not sell to the public under any circumstances.
Page / 58
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top