BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Sig MCX Virtus (Page 61 of 69)
Page / 69
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 4:26:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brazos609] [#1]
Originally Posted By coregon:
Unfortunately, with end of life products, we have to protect extra parts for warranty work.
Originally Posted By brazos609:
It's terrible that guns that were produced in 2022 are already considered "end of life products" by a manufacturer.
The 556Xi was not built in 2022.

My mistake, I thought your end of life comment was referring to the Virtus.   I missed that you were replying to a comment about the 556Xi.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 9:30:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Juicymeat] [#2]
Picked up an 11.5 virtus barrel and was wondering if this was chrome lined?  I was under the impression virtus barrels were nitrided?

https://ibb.co/XD0qx46
https://ibb.co/p3H40HS
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 10:20:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SMFdarkangel] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Juicymeat:
Picked up an 11.5 virtus barrel and was wondering if this was chrome lined?  I was under the impression virtus barrels were nitrided?

View Quote

Sig LVAW, MCX, Virtus, Rattler, and Spear-LT series FAQ
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 12:30:14 AM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

I would say the muzzle appears to indicate that it is chrome lined. My understanding (may or may not be fully correct) is that the LE variants (full rifles or just the barrels) are chrome lined.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 12:34:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BurtSaun1049] [#5]
Finally joining the Virtus squad, just as the line is dying off . Bought a 9" .300 BLK caliber conversion kit to finally have an upper and guts to go with my 6.75" barrel and can. I'll sell the barrel and handguard.

This is my LFEAUX project, still waiting on a handguard from ALTRD.

Link Posted: 11/18/2022 12:47:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:
Finally joining the Virtus squad, just as the line is dying off . Bought a 9" .300 BLK caliber conversion kit to finally have an upper and guts to go with my 6.75" barrel and can. I'll sell the barrel and handguard.

https://i.imgur.com/NvNLOl9.jpg
View Quote

That’s hot.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By goloud:

That’s hot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

https://i.imgur.com/NvNLOl9.jpg

That’s hot.

You would know
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 2:29:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JSchell1309:
Got a question for the experts in here. Will a Sig Match Duo MCX trigger work with the “G” marked carrier latch?

I am trying to complete a mutt of an MCX build and got the last part secured today. Ordered a MCX carrier assembly from here (4 more left in stock as of this post.)

I noticed that’s the “Geissele” specific assembly but I already have the match duo in my lower. Will the duo work with that “G” carrier or do I need to swap it out?
Will any mil spec AR trigger work with the “G” latch?
View Quote

@JSchell1309

PM me if you need a standard Virtus latch. I can send one your way.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 4:26:04 AM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Will816:

I would say the muzzle appears to indicate that it is chrome lined. My understanding (may or may not be fully correct) is that the LE variants (full rifles or just the barrels) are chrome lined.

Thank you both.  Looks like I lucked out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Thank you both.  Looks like I lucked out.
View Quote

FWIW, I ordered a MIL/LE barrel exchange kit and mine was not chrome lined so there's definitely truth to what coregon said regarding those barrels--some are chromed, some not just depends on the contract/production run.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:17:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#11]
So I just placed an order for the LE MCX G2 TAP 16" Patrol.
https://www.provenoutfitters.com/sigmcx-556-rifle-16-pat-semi
I figured it's now or never and this to my poor ass is a grail gun! I already own a Rattler Canebrake I paid way more for but for some reason this purchase has me feeling more on cloud 9 than any other SIG or gun I've ever purchased! What am I iin for fellas?

ETA Pic.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GLD1980:
So I just placed an order for the LE MCX G2 TAP 16" Patrol.
https://www.provenoutfitters.com/sigmcx-556-rifle-16-pat-semi
I figured it's now or never and this to my poor ass is a grail gun! I already own a Rattler Canebrake I paid way more for but for some reason this purchase has me feeling more on cloud 9 than any other SIG or gun I've ever purchased! What am I iin for fellas?

ETA Pic.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/7_SIG_MCXG2_TAP_jpg-2605633.JPG
View Quote

I picked one up earlier in the year.
They are pretty smooth shooting due to weight and piston.  Mine is accurate.  While the stock looks funky, it is one of the best for the gun.  I have had zero issues.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I should add the black is much better than the grey in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By triode:

I picked one up earlier in the year.
They are pretty smooth shooting due to weight and piston.  Mine is accurate.  While the stock looks funky, it is one of the best for the gun.  I have had zero issues.  
View Quote

Originally Posted By triode:
I should add the black is much better than the grey in my opinion.
View Quote

@triode
Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get it. I also agree and prefer black to the grey but some SIG's don't look bad in grey. My M400 SDI Pistol took a turn for the better when I added some shades of FDE.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there an action wrench for the MCX?
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

I would love to know as well. After hours of searching, the best solution I found was “put the barrel in a vise”. Easier said than done with the shorter barrels.

Where’s that Classified Defense guy at? Seems like a project right up his alley.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SMFdarkangel:

I would love to know as well. After hours of searching, the best solution I found was “put the barrel in a vise”. Easier said than done with the shorter barrels.

Where’s that Classified Defense guy at? Seems like a project right up his alley.
View All Quotes

I’d be in for one.

@allensaldi
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

When I had my rattler I just clamped the barrel vertically in my vise. Worked like a charm.
But a reaction rod would be nice.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 4:07:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By nate_the_great:
When I had my rattler I just clamped the barrel vertically in my vise. Worked like a charm.
But a reaction rod would be nice.
View Quote

I chopped an old set of barrel blocks in half to deal with the limited surface area.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 5:31:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Interesting results the past few range trips.  

Gun is a Virtus upper on a standard AR (SBR’d) lower.  6.75” .300BLK barrel with a Griffin taper mount and SiCo Hybrid.  Gun functioned flawlessly with supers, both 125gr AAC (new PSA factory ammo brand) and Barnes TAC-TX.  

Different story with subs.  I only had a box of Hornady 208gr AMAX on hand, so that’s what I used.  Gun would not reliably cycle (failure to extract or eject) with the F03 or F01 gas plugs in either gas position (+ or -). Carrier wasn’t traveling far enough rearward to lock the bolt back on the last round or pick up a new cartridge from the magazine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

Gun is a Virtus upper on a standard AR (SBR’d) lower.  6.75” .300BLK barrel with a Griffin taper mount and SiCo Hybrid.  Gun functioned flawlessly with supers, both 125gr AAC (new PSA factory ammo brand) and Barnes TAC-TX.  

Different story with subs.  I only had a box of Hornady 208gr AMAX on hand, so that’s what I used.  Gun would not reliably cycle (failure to extract or eject) with the F03 or F01 gas plugs in either gas position (+ or -). Carrier wasn’t traveling far enough rearward to lock the bolt back on the last round or pick up a new cartridge from the magazine.
View Quote

Brand new upper? My friends mcx did the same thing with subs when he put his SRD can on it.

Lubed the heck out of it and now it runs like a sewing machine
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 6:39:27 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Just to clarify, it would not function reliably shooting subsonic rounds suppressed?
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

That’s a common issue with the Hornady 208s. I remember seeing a post from SIG or @coregon a few years ago stating they didn’t recommend them in barrels <9”. Can’t find it but maybe he can chime in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Yep 208 would not cycle in my 6.75” barrel, had to sell the ammo. HUSH, Gorilla etc all work great
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#25]
For Hornady 208 gr I load with 10.8 gr of Accurate 1680. My 6.75” Sig cycles them fine on the + setting with Sig SRD762QD can.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#26]

That’s a common issue with the Hornady 208s. I remember seeing a post from SIG or @coregon a few years ago stating they didn’t recommend them in barrels <9”. Can’t find it but maybe he can chime in.
View Quote

Correct.  6.75" just doesnt like the Hornady 208 ammo.  Interestingly enough, the only time I've been able to make the 208's run "reliably" was when my gun was extremely dirty.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 1:07:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#27]
Originally Posted By Moto-M187:

Brand new upper? My friends mcx did the same thing with subs when he put his SRD can on it.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Moto-M187:

Yeah, new upper with about 100rds through it now.  It was thoroughly cleaned and generously lubed, although it may start functioning better once broken in a bit more.

Ambient temps were low at 15* F, so that may be playing a part as well depending on how temp sensitive the ammo is.  I’ll likely pick up a few different factory sub loads to try out and see if one may be better than the others.  Frankly, not cycling subs isn’t really a deal breaker for me.  They’re more of a range novelty for me as for any serious use, I’d be loading mags of 110gr TAC-TX.

Still hope I can get it sorted out as subs can be fun.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 1:10:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#28]
Originally Posted By ThatGuyTheCooler:

Just to clarify, it would not function reliably shooting subsonic rounds suppressed?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ThatGuyTheCooler:

Correct.  Would not lock back on an empty mag nor would it pick up a new round from the mag when suppressed.  I tested this with both the F01 and F03 gas plugs, in both + and - settings.  

I was incorrect with my earlier statement.  After reviewing some video I took, it was extracting and ejecting the spent case.  Seeing that, I’d say it’s fairly close to being on the ragged edge of actually functioning.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Correct.  6.75" just doesnt like the Hornady 208 ammo.  Interestingly enough, the only time I've been able to make the 208's run "reliably" was when my gun was extremely dirty.
View All Quotes

Good to hear.  It wouldn’t function suppressed in my super short .300BLK AR (5” SLR barrel) either FWIW.

Really just picked it up as it was all I could source locally and haven’t had time to do some research on what I want so I could order some online.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Another odd issue.  Any experience with the Arisaka Zero Retention Clamp?

I’ve triple checked the install and it is correct, but when torqued into position at the listed 15 in lbs, it seems to be pulling the handguard ever so slightly forward, putting quite a bit of tension on the takedown pin via the handguard link, making it damn near impossible to punch out without using a punch and hammer.

Loosening the ZRC screws to about 6-8in lbs removes basically all of the tension but my thought is it won’t do a very good job retaining my LAMs zero torqued so lightly.  I’ve tried loosening and holding rearward pressure on the handguard while torquing, but nothing I do seems to prevent the binding issue.

Maybe just an issue using an MCX upper on an AR lower?  Frankly, it’s not that huge of a deal if the takedown pin is hard to punch out.  Can’t remove the handguard until the ZRC is removed anyway, so not a huge need to be able to punch it out in the field.  

My main concern is the added tension on the takedown pin causing the pin to crack/fail.  Takedown pins don’t break all that often, but it’s certainly not unheard of and I’ve experienced/seen a few firsthand, so it is a possibility.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Try it on a different lower.

Not to scare you, but I've seen more broken lowers than I have pins.    (not from something like this)
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 5:33:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#32]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Try it on a different lower.

Not to scare you, but I've seen more broken lowers than I have pins.    (not from something like this)
View Quote

Sadly, it’s a F1’d SBR lower.  Only other SBR lower I have is dedicated to an AR upper and I’m really not looking to tear it down to install all of the MCX specific parts to fully test it.  Just trying it out on that lower without any of the MCX specific parts and it’s tight and requires a punch to remove.

ETA:  And it’s fixed, I’m just stupid.  Thought it was pulling the handguard towards the muzzle so I’ve been holding rearward pressure on the handguard when torquing.  It’s actually doing the opposite and pushing the handguard link inwards towards the magazine well.  Held pressure on the handguard towards the muzzle while torquing and the takedown pin is significantly easier to remove now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 2:10:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By KSPeacekeeper:
For Hornady 208 gr I load with 10.8 gr of Accurate 1680. My 6.75” Sig cycles them fine on the + setting with Sig SRD762QD can.
View Quote

Similar story, I’m running 12.0gr. of CFE BLK with my 208gr. ELD-M handloads. My 6.75” cycles great on the “+” setting with a Q Half Nelson.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 8:56:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 74novaman] [#34]
Cleaned Virtus, oiled the hell out of everything and tried again with a mixed variety of ammo today.  A clean and lubed gun runs better.  Go figure .

Tested all ammo by loading 2 rounds in a mag and seeing if it both fed second round and locked back on empty on the (-) setting, then repeating on (+) if it failed to feed or lock back with a bunch of different ammo.

Everything was shot with 6.75” barrel, F01 plug, CGS Hyperion.

Fed and locked back on empty mag on (-):
Sig 120 gr
Winchester 147 gr
American Eagle 150 gr

Fed and locked back on empty mag on (+):
Gorilla Ammo 110gr tac-tx
Gorilla Ammo 125gr
Gorilla Ammo 147 gr

Fed but did not lock back on (+):
Remington 220gr

Did not feed even on (+):
Gorilla Ammo 220gr

The 110gr Tac-tx load was feeding fine on (-) but not locking back reliably so I’ll just run it on (+), especially since it will likely be my defensive load of choice.  It was really accurate at 50/100 too.

The hunt for a reliably functioning sub round continues.  I suspect switching to the 9” barrel would help, I’ll try that out at some point.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 74novaman:
Cleaned Virtus, oiled the hell out of everything and tried again with a mixed variety of ammo today.  A clean and lubed gun runs better.  Go figure .

Tested all ammo by loading 2 rounds in a mag and seeing if it both fed second round and locked back on empty on the (-) setting, then repeating on (+) if it failed to feed or lock back with a bunch of different ammo.

Sig 120 gr
Winchester 147 gr
American Eagle 150 gr

Gorilla Ammo 125gr
Gorilla Ammo 147 gr

Remington 220gr

Gorilla Ammo 220gr

The 110gr Tac-tx load was feeding fine on (-) but not locking back reliably so I’ll just run it on (+), especially since it will likely be my defensive load of choice.  It was really accurate at 50/100 too.

The hunt for a reliably functioning sub round continues.  I suspect switching to the 9” barrel would help, I’ll try that out at some point.

https://i.imgur.com/pkMAFYX.jpg
View Quote

Sounds like Gorilla loads their ammo light?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

View Quote

Maybe.  Shorter barrel may not be helping much.

All 3 supersonic loads would cycle and feed on (-) but none of them locked back on an empty mag.

I’ll get some velocity numbers on the Barnes 110 at some point, if anyone else has shot that bullet from a different company’s load or rolled their own and has velocity #s through a 6.75” we can compare data.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#37]

Sig 120 gr
Winchester 147 gr
American Eagle 150 gr

Gorilla Ammo 125gr
Gorilla Ammo 147 gr

Remington 220gr

Gorilla Ammo 220gr

https://i.imgur.com/pkMAFYX.jpg
View Quote

Vented end cap or low pro? CGS Hyperion claims to be low blow back have you tried the f03 piston?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By GraniteStateMike:

Vented end cap or low pro? CGS Hyperion claims to be low blow back have you tried the f03 piston?
View Quote

Read back a few pages about the f03 piston saga.  Would love to try one if I could find one.

I have both the standard and vented end cap for the hyperion.  Swapped between them on one load (125 gr GA) and it didnt change anything, but ill keep experimenting.

Subs are just giggle/meme material so im not too wound up about making them run.  It ran the 110gr barnes tac tx load great on (+) and was accurate with it so thats what I zeroed it for and have in the gun for now.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#39]

All 3 supersonic loads would cycle and feed on (-) but none of them locked back on an empty mag.

I’ll get some velocity numbers on the Barnes 110 at some point, if anyone else has shot that bullet from a different company’s load or rolled their own and has velocity #s through a 6.75” we can compare data.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

Just throwing it out there: none of us with 5.56 barrels are having any issues
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Read back a few pages about the f03 piston saga.  Would love to try one if I could find one.

I have both the standard and vented end cap for the hyperion.  Swapped between them on one load (125 gr GA) and it didnt change anything, but ill keep experimenting.

Subs are just giggle/meme material so im not too wound up about making them run.  It ran the 110gr barnes tac tx load great on (+) and was accurate with it so thats what I zeroed it for and have in the gun for now.

https://i.imgur.com/xl78iAm.jpg
View Quote
Dumb question:  Why do you have a magnifier with a red dot and then an offset red dot on the same gun?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Dumb question:  Why do you have a magnifier with a red dot and then an offset red dot on the same gun?
View Quote

Gotta be weight for the big boy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Because this happened within the first 5 shots on the range trip before this when I first started testing ammo.

It may stay, it may not.  But for now, 2 dots.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

I have 5.56 barrels.  I also have plenty of other 5.56 guns, so plan for this gun is mostly to be a dedicated 300blk.

I’ll test it with 5.56 someday but its not a priority.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By doolz:

Gotta be weight for the big boy.
View Quote

Yeah its a chonk.  Thats fine, its more of a HD/car/travel gun so short and thick is fine.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Ummmm, what's going on with that Eotech?

My MCX is quite thicccccc as well.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Ummmm, what's going on with that Eotech?
View Quote

Shits broke, yo.

Glad it happened at the range, had it on the mcx with the 16” 5.56 barrel for a run and gun event in October and it held up just fine.  But anything can break and around me it probably will.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Quite a few guys had 5.56 issues back in the day with the virtus.....Thankfully, it was easy clean, lube, break in fixes...but there were issues.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Because this happened within the first 5 shots on the range trip before this when I first started testing ammo.

https://i.imgur.com/U4O4agR.jpg

It may stay, it may not.  But for now, 2 dots.
View Quote

I just mailed one to EOTech yesterday for that. Mine was a 2014 manufacture and I threw it on a 450 Bushmaster to try out and broke it on the first shot. It has been through a lot though and is almost 9 years old.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By sbye:

I just mailed one to EOTech yesterday for that. Mine was a 2014 manufacture and I threw it on a 450 Bushmaster to try out and broke it on the first shot. It has been through a lot though and is almost 9 years old.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/260726/20221114_140242-2619031.jpg
View Quote

Mines a 2016 model.  Sent an email to them, waiting to hear back.

Still prefer eotech over anything else for passive nv shooting but yeah…2 dots.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Mines a 2016 model.  Sent an email to them, waiting to hear back.

Still prefer eotech over anything else for passive nv shooting but yeah…2 dots.
View Quote

I think it took them a few business days to get back to me. Maybe a week. But they gave me an RMA and told me they would repair it free of charge. EOTech is the best under nods so I've owned a lot of them over the years. This will be the 3rd one I've sent back, and the worst issue so far. The other two were losing their purge and the reticle was dimming around the edges of the lens.

I keep a T2 on my Sig just because I keep it in a safe by my bed in case of a home invasion. I went with the T2 for battery life and just leave it on.
Page / 69
Sig MCX Virtus (Page 61 of 69)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top