User Panel

Site Notices
Sig MCX Virtus (Page 62 of 69)
Page / 69
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sbye:

I think it took them a few business days to get back to me. Maybe a week. But they gave me an RMA and told me they would repair it free of charge. EOTech is the best under nods so I've owned a lot of them over the years. This will be the 3rd one I've sent back, and the worst issue so far. The other two were losing their purge and the reticle was dimming around the edges of the lens.

I keep a T2 on my Sig just because I keep it in a safe by my bed in case of a home invasion. I went with the T2 for battery life and just leave it on.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/260726/20220724_123754-2532986.jpg
View Quote

@sbye what handguard is that? I'm debating hiding my can (when it gets here) but I went short and fat, so not thinking it fits in all my options. That looks beefy
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

@sbye what handguard is that? I'm debating hiding my can (when it gets here) but I went short and fat, so not thinking it fits in all my options. That looks beefy
View Quote

https://www.altrd.eu/handguard
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]

I think it took them a few business days to get back to me. Maybe a week. But they gave me an RMA and told me they would repair it free of charge. EOTech is the best under nods so I've owned a lot of them over the years. This will be the 3rd one I've sent back, and the worst issue so far. The other two were losing their purge and the reticle was dimming around the edges of the lens.

I keep a T2 on my Sig just because I keep it in a safe by my bed in case of a home invasion. I went with the T2 for battery life and just leave it on.
View Quote

I've used EOTECH for many years. By far some of the best customer service I've dealt with. An extreme scenario during patrol rifle quals a few years ago had a pebble (legitimately a pebble) ricochet off something and smoke the sight dead center. Glass was cracked, but it still worked like a charm. Not sure if it was just a LE relationship, but they sent out a new EXPS overnight to us to put on the rifle +/- 2 days turnaround. Sent the broken one back and they repaired that and also sent that one back to us. No issue at all.

That said, I posted in the SPEAR LT thread because the topic somehow bumped onto the Virtus for a hot second...

I was finally able to get my hands on an 11.5" conversion kit. I've only had the 16" barrel as the Virtus I own was the patrol model. While I debate whether or not to actually stamp it (which I'll probably need help with measurements because of the 1913 rail section if anyone has Form 1'd an MCX) or just throw a brace on it when I run the 11.5 while I wait.

I've also been running an ACOG on my Virtus and am debating whether or not to get another EOTECH for the 11.5 or is it worth it (would there be much deviation) to keep the ACOG on the 11.5 and just do barrel/brace/stock swaps.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By doolz:

I've used EOTECH for many years. By far some of the best customer service I've dealt with. An extreme scenario during patrol rifle quals a few years ago had a pebble (legitimately a pebble) ricochet off something and smoke the sight dead center. Glass was cracked, but it still worked like a charm. Not sure if it was just a LE relationship, but they sent out a new EXPS overnight to us to put on the rifle +/- 2 days turnaround. Sent the broken one back and they repaired that and also sent that one back to us. No issue at all.

That said, I posted in the SPEAR LT thread because the topic somehow bumped onto the Virtus for a hot second...

I was finally able to get my hands on an 11.5" conversion kit. I've only had the 16" barrel as the Virtus I own was the patrol model. While I debate whether or not to actually stamp it (which I'll probably need help with measurements because of the 1913 rail section if anyone has Form 1'd an MCX) or just throw a brace on it when I run the 11.5 while I wait.

I've also been running an ACOG on my Virtus and am debating whether or not to get another EOTECH for the 11.5 or is it worth it (would there be much deviation) to keep the ACOG on the 11.5 and just do barrel/brace/stock swaps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If your MCX was purchased as a rifle (patrol model), you cannot put a pistol brace on it. You'd need to SBR that lower or use a completely different lower that is new or started as a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

If your MCX was purchased as a rifle (patrol model), you cannot put a pistol brace on it. You'd need to SBR that lower or use a completely different lower that is new or started as a pistol.
View Quote

I'll second this. There's some "once a rifle, always a rifle" nonsense. The same is not true for a pistol, i.e. if you put a stock and 16" barrel on a pistol, that's fine, however you cannot take it back to a pistol once you've done that. Because it was a rifle, and the DNA of that pistol remembers that it was a rifle, and it is forever more dangerous. Or some logic like that.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Will816:
...... Because it was a rifle, and the DNA of that pistol remembers that it was a rifle, and it is forever more dangerous. Or some logic like that.
View Quote

@Will816

Funniest shit I've read all day! Thanks.... I needed that laugh!
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

I'll second this. There's some "once a rifle, always a rifle" nonsense. The same is not true for a pistol, i.e. if you put a stock and 16" barrel on a pistol, that's fine, however you cannot take it back to a pistol once you've done that. Because it was a rifle, and the DNA of that pistol remembers that it was a rifle, and it is forever more dangerous. Or some logic like that.

Originally Posted By GLD1980:

@Will816

Funniest shit I've read all day! Thanks.... I needed that laugh!

I figured this would be the case. Looks like this project will [continue to] be in a holding pattern until my Form 1 comes back.

Here's my ultimate questions now:

For anyone who has Form 1'd an MCX/Virtus, when it asked for the "Overall Length" in Section 4F, is this length including whatever stock is on the lower or just to the 1913 section?

When I Form 1'd my other AR, it was measured with the stock fully extended on the buffer tube. Is that the same here?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 8:56:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subpar] [#8]

I figured this would be the case. Looks like this project will [continue to] be in a holding pattern until my Form 1 comes back.

For anyone who has Form 1'd an MCX/Virtus, when it asked for the "Overall Length" in Section 4F, is this length including whatever stock is on the lower or just to the 1913 section?

When I Form 1'd my other AR, it was measured with the stock fully extended on the buffer tube. Is that the same here?
View Quote

I put 27.5” for a 6.75” MCX.  No idea if that’s right.  I just googled “MCX tacops overall length” and used that.  It was approved without issue.

I vaguely recall reading it’s supposed to be measured with the stock fully erect though.

Eta: google is providing conflicting information on whether is measured folded or unfolded, so I have no idea.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

You actually can take it from a pistol to a rifle back to a pistol.

If the weapon originated as a rifle, it'll always be a rifle.

If it started as a pistol, you can move it back and forth as you desire.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

I looked up the MCX specs for an 11.5" SBR and put that. I actually just filed for it yesterday.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#11]

I looked up the MCX specs for an 11.5" SBR and put that. I actually just filed for it yesterday.
View Quote

From Proven Arms:

CALIBERB5.56 NATO
Barrel Length11.5in (292 mm)
Mags Included(1) 30 rd Aluminum
Mag TypeAR-15
SightsSIG Folding
Action TypeSemi-Auto
Stock TypeFolding Telescopic
Barrel MaterialCarbon Steel
Trigger Type2-Stage Match
Trigger Weight
Twist Rate1:7
Forend TypeAlloy
Grip TypePolymer
Receiver FinishHard Coat Anodized
Overall Length31 in (787 mm)
Overall Width2.5 in (63.5mm)
Height8.0 in (203 mm)
Threads1/2 in-28t pi
Accessory RailM-LOK
Operating SystemGas Piston
Weight7.4 lb

I'll submit it for 31" tomorrow. Let the waiting begin.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Are you sure? I know there was a case back in the day for I think a Thompson Center rifle that was decided in favor of allowing it to go back and forth, but I thought it was applied only to that firearm
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Dropping this here with the caveat that ATF opinion letters are just that, opinions.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-i-lawfully-make-pistol-rifle-without-registering-firearm
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Per ATF Form 5320.1
If the firearm has a folding or collapsible stock, the overall measurement is to be made with
the stock extended.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Are you sure? I know there was a case back in the day for I think a Thompson Center rifle that was decided in favor of allowing it to go back and forth, but I thought it was applied only to that firearm
View All Quotes

Yes, positive.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SMFdarkangel:
Dropping this here with the caveat that ATF opinion letters are just that, opinions.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-i-lawfully-make-pistol-rifle-without-registering-firearm
View Quote

That along with the published ruling probably holds more weight than a letter but nothing is going to stop them from doing whatever they want.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Appointment made to get the fingerprints done.... again....

Excited to conduct another four month wait for another Form 1.

But, here we go.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:43:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#18]

But, here we go.
View Quote

Order cards from the ATF for free HERE (Get the 258LE).

Then order some ink from Amazon and roll your own prints.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

But, here we go.

This. Always do this. Don't make an appointment and pay money for it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 6:33:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doolz] [#20]

This. Always do this. Don't make an appointment and pay money for it.
View Quote

My department does them for us for free. Had them done today.

But I'll order the cards and ink for future instances.

ETA: I'm assuming the cards would be the FBI FD-258LE cards - NFA, Imports ORI WVATF0800 ?
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Always found this helpfulAttachment Attached File

Bottom left last sentence
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Chikenmastr:

Always found this helpfulhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/475009/877D575E-53D1-443D-ABB4-BABD318EFEF4_jpe-2620589.JPG

View Quote

this demonstrates the absolute horseshit that is the NFA
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Chikenmastr:

Always found this helpfulhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/475009/877D575E-53D1-443D-ABB4-BABD318EFEF4_jpe-2620589.JPG

View Quote

I get it, and maybe that is the stance of the ATF, but it still says, right there, “once a rifle, always a rifle.”

That’s what gets me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 6:29:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SMFdarkangel] [#24]
I get it, and maybe that is the stance of the ATF, but it still says, right there, “once a rifle, always a rifle.”
View Quote

We have the poorly defined "meaning of terms" codified in 27 CFR § 479.11 and 26 U.S. Code § 5845 to thank for this. Just because something is written in black & white doesn't mean it follows the rules of logic.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone have a lead on a SIG MCX upper receiver in FDE? I see Midwest gun works had the gray, with fde listed as discontinued
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ThatGuyTheCooler:
Anyone have a lead on a SIG MCX upper receiver in FDE? I see Midwest gun works had the gray, with fde listed as discontinued
View Quote

FDE parts have been discontinued for a while. Your best bet is to try the EE or you may have to succumb to full units on GunBroker. [Sadly].
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Any constructive input on this would be much appreciated:

Currently running a 16" Virtus with a Trijicon 4x32 TA31F.

Was able to finally acquire my 11.5" conversion kit and now awaiting Form 1 approval.

It would probably be more logical to get a new optic for when I run the 11.5 versus keeping the ACOG on for both barrels, correct?

Would there be much difference in compensation using the ACOG for both the 16 and 11.5?
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Any constructive input on this would be much appreciated:

Currently running a 16" Virtus with a Trijicon 4x32 TA31F.

Was able to finally acquire my 11.5" conversion kit and now awaiting Form 1 approval.

It would probably be more logical to get a new optic for when I run the 11.5 versus keeping the ACOG on for both barrels, correct?

Would there be much difference in compensation using the ACOG for both the 16 and 11.5?
View Quote

Up to you on if you want to swap optics. Plenty of individuals rocking a 4x (ACOG/LPVO/Elcan) on 11.5 and 10.3 setups.

My 11.5 Spear LT currently utilizes a TA31.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#29]
My rattler set up for HD. Really need my can to clear so it’s longer than the light

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Up to you on if you want to swap optics. Plenty of individuals rocking a 4x (ACOG/LPVO/Elcan) on 11.5 and 10.3 setups.

View Quote

Will there be any "terminal" difference and need to compensate on the reticle more?

I've haven't used an ACOG on anything smaller than a 16" so my mind is telling me that the groupings won't be similar at 100m.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Will there be any "terminal" difference and need to compensate on the reticle more?

I've haven't used an ACOG on anything smaller than a 16" so my mind is telling me that the groupings won't be similar at 100m.
View All Quotes

Barrel length doesn't affect accuracy. In fact, shorter barrels are usually stiffer and can be more accurate. Obviously velocity will suffer though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

Barrel length doesn't affect accuracy. In fact, shorter barrels are usually stiffer and can be more accurate. Obviously velocity will suffer though.
View Quote

This was all that I was hoping it would be.

I love my EXPS but I also love my ACOG... also didn't want to have to fork over any more money for another optic.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 12:56:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThatGuyTheCooler] [#33]

FDE parts have been discontinued for a while. Your best bet is to try the EE or you may have to succumb to full units on GunBroker. [Sadly].
View Quote

Is there anything special about stripping the upper and having it cerakote? I have had the forward assist off, so I know about that.

Color is e-190 I believe?

SIG has the fde telescopic stock and 10" SD FDE rail in stock, so I ordered those
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I got my Virtus cerakoted in E-190 FDE and it came out OK.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By CleverNickname:
I got my Virtus cerakoted in E-190 FDE and it came out OK.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13367/MCX_Virtus_FDE_right_jpg-2624778.JPG
View Quote

How close it it to the color of the stock?
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#36]
How close it it to the color of the stock?
View Quote

Close enough.  The color difference on the forward assist is more than the difference between the stock's color and the cerakote color.  Matching different shades between different manufacturers and materials is a game you'll never win.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CleverNickname:

Matching different shades between different manufacturers and materials is a game you'll never win.
View Quote

This is why rattlecan is the way.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:56:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#38]
To preface, I’m going to assume what I was wanting already existed and someone will be along shortly to provide a web link and make me look stupid.  

Anyways, I love the concept of the LVAW so I built a sorta/kinda clone’ish gun.  6.75” barrel w/a 10” MI SD handguard.  Anyways, it kind of annoyed me that no one seemed to make a handguard short enough to use with a blast deflector (wanted that capability so the rifle could be shot unsuppressed if I needed something with a shorter OAL).  I was either stuck with something 10” or longer or something short enough to position the muzzle device outside of the handguard.

Anyways, got bored and decided to chop the 10” MI SD rail.  

I wanted to get the handguard length to around 8” as a good compromise between the two.  My cuts ended up putting the handguard around 8.25”.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Unsuppressed and suppressed.  11.5” SR15 CQB upper/SBR for reference/comparison.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#39]
YAY, our gracious overlords just approved my eForm 1 for my Rattler after 35 days! Hopefully they get to my damn eForm 4 by christmas. will update with pics as soon as I get home from work....
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#40]
YAY, our gracious overlords just approved my eForm 1 for my Rattler after 35 days! Hopefully they get to my damn eForm 4 by christmas. will update with pics as soon as I get home from work....
View Quote

On your Form 1, under Line Item for engravings...

Do you need to submit a picture of the SIG logo with "SIG MCX MULTI-CALIBER" and the "SIG SAUER INC NEWINGTON NH USA [SERIAL NUMBER]"

or only the engraving with the serial number?

My previous lower had all the information on one engraving under the logo.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#41]

On your Form 1, under Line Item for engravings...

Do you need to submit a picture of the SIG logo with "SIG MCX MULTI-CALIBER" and the "SIG SAUER INC NEWINGTON NH USA [SERIAL NUMBER]"

or only the engraving with the serial number?

My previous lower had all the information on one engraving under the logo.
View Quote

@doolz

I put "MCX" as the Model and "SIG ARMS (SIG SAUER)" from the drop down for the Business Name, and "300" as caliber. I did not submit any photos besides the one of my ugly mug. If you tell me where to check on the page I can be more specific.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#42]

@doolz

I put "MCX" as the Model and "SIG ARMS (SIG SAUER)" from the drop down for the Business Name, and "300" as caliber. I did not submit any photos besides the one of my ugly mug. If you tell me where to check on the page I can be more specific.
View Quote

Steve I'll message you privately.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Already debating replacing the stock :-/
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Already debating replacing the stock :-/
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/CB2EE85F-040B-4BD9-9690-E12A546AAD66_jpe-2627372.JPG
View Quote

For anything under 10.5 I prefer something like the collapsible stocks.

I'm picking up my new MPX K tomorrow and have the SB brace ready for her.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:06:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SMFdarkangel] [#45]

@doolz

View Quote

@doolz

This is correct. Use what they have in the dropdowns and don't put what the engraving says. ATF corrected one of my F1's earlier this year. It will just delay your approval.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Yet another "mailing issue" with my prints and cover sheet...

Last time I submitted the above for my previous lower, it took 14 business days to arrive via priority mail. The envelope kept bouncing around between the Harrisburg, PA regional distribution center and Jamaica, NY regional distribution center. This was in April.

Now, mailed out my prints and cover sheet on Thursday (Priority Mail Overnight) and, once again, it's bouncing around the USPS system. Originally expected to be delivered Friday, 12/09/2022....

Someone please tell me this is because they will only accept the package on a business day, Mon-Fri...
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Yet another "mailing issue" with my prints and cover sheet...

Last time I submitted the above for my previous lower, it took 14 business days to arrive via priority mail. The envelope kept bouncing around between the Harrisburg, PA regional distribution center and Jamaica, NY regional distribution center. This was in April.

Now, mailed out my prints and cover sheet on Thursday (Priority Mail Overnight) and, once again, it's bouncing around the USPS system. Originally expected to be delivered Friday, 12/09/2022....

https://i.imgur.com/4wuOL2t.png

Someone please tell me this is because they will only accept the package on a business day, Mon-Fri...
View Quote

The USPS absolutely sucks lately, well in general, but extra lately.

They "should" deliver next business day, but you never know...

Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
To preface, I’m going to assume what I was wanting already existed and someone will be along shortly to provide a web link and make me look stupid.  

Anyways, I love the concept of the LVAW so I built a sorta/kinda clone’ish gun.  6.75” barrel w/a 10” MI SD handguard.  Anyways, it kind of annoyed me that no one seemed to make a handguard short enough to use with a blast deflector (wanted that capability so the rifle could be shot unsuppressed if I needed something with a shorter OAL).  I was either stuck with something 10” or longer or something short enough to position the muzzle device outside of the handguard.

Anyways, got bored and decided to chop the 10” MI SD rail.  

I wanted to get the handguard length to around 8” as a good compromise between the two.  My cuts ended up putting the handguard around 8.25”.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/3E115785-55A5-409F-9502-8B8E594748C0_jpe-2626837.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/501EDF43-8FD9-4D26-8CED-3BB6CCF9B5D7_jpe-2626838.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/305CEF80-5C8A-4E61-9B7D-8467FDACEFBA_jpe-2626839.JPG

Unsuppressed and suppressed.  11.5” SR15 CQB upper/SBR for reference/comparison.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/027FF0BE-D71E-4E06-A42C-65E693A04492_jpe-2626840.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/6E3F7B1B-0728-4986-83B0-EDD0DA9616AE_jpe-2626841.JPG
View Quote

Bro, that actually looks really good. Nice job!

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 6:12:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Has anyone, or is it even possible, to use the 8" PDW HG on a 16" 556 virtus?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 7:15:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#50]
Has anyone, or is it even possible, to use the 8" PDW HG on a 16" 556 virtus?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I've never tried what you seek, but from a design perspective, the handguard looks to have both gas adjustment ports (windows). So it should function fine with the shorter 5.56/.300BO offerings while also accommodating the longer barrel/gas piston offerings. Your barrel will just protrude quite a bit I would imagine.

ETA...
I never looked but it appears the 1st gas adjustment port (window) closest to the receiver is dedicated .300BO. Whereas the 2nd gas adjustment port in the handguard is dedicated 5.56. I may be wrong, I am new to the MCX platform. I have a Rattler Canebrake and I am picking up a 16" MCX W-TAP Patrol today.
Page / 69
Sig MCX Virtus (Page 62 of 69)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top