Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Sig MCX Virtus (Page 64 of 69)
Page / 69
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I also had a screw snap in half with very little torque applied. Damn thing is still stuck in the receiver, haven’t drilled it out yet.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
If it's like mine is, the screw broke in half.

Fingers crossed for you.
View Quote

Luckily the screw didn't break in half. I apparently over-torqued "finger tight" considering how small the screws are. So I would assume that the threading on the receiver is stripped.

I'm trying to research the best ways to either repair the threads or "cement" the screw in if troubleshooting is necessary.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By doolz:

Luckily the screw didn't break in half. I apparently over-torqued "finger tight" considering how small the screws are. So I would assume that the threading on the receiver is stripped.

I'm trying to research the best ways to either repair the threads or "cement" the screw in if troubleshooting is necessary.
View Quote
Probably a helicoil.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Probably a helicoil.
View Quote

Any idea what size?
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SMFdarkangel] [#5]

Any idea what size?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Any idea what size?

Originally Posted By SpyHawk:
2400438-R..........Screw, FH, 6-Lobe plus, 4-40 x 1/4

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Sig-LVAW-MCX-Virtus-Rattler-and-Spear-LT-series-FAQ/45-524755/
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 5:54:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doolz] [#6]

ETA:

Purchased this today. Should be here before the New Year and I'll give it a whirl when I get back from Europe.

PowerCoil UNC 4-40 Thread Repair Kit
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Does ANYONE know of a MI 10.5'' handguard in stock? Or have one they want to offload?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AKoch31:
Does ANYONE know of a MI 10.5'' handguard in stock? Or have one they want to offload?
View Quote

Suppressor capable or the regular one?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 60-Driver:

Suppressor capable or the regular one?
View Quote

Standard.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#10]
How can I tell if my MCX is a Virtus or Legacy model? Given it's relatively new, I am 99% sure it's a Virtus, but it does not officially have the "Virtus" stamp on the cam path insert. Instead, it's blank, as I think this was a LEO model (it's black vs. FDE/Gray).
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mdavis:
How can I tell if my MCX is a Virtus or Legacy model? Given it's relatively new, I am 99% sure it's a Virtus, but it does not officially have the "Virtus" stamp on the cam path insert. Instead, it's blank, as I think this was a LEO model (it's black vs. FDE/Gray).
View Quote

Legacy upper has an extended top rail with multiple "vents" before it would meet the HG. Legacy barrel extension has square lugs (like an AR extension), while a Virtus barrel extension has rounded lugs.

Not my pics

Link Posted: 12/30/2022 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#12]
MCX by Will5B, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Regarding the G latch on these - is it correct that with the latch I can run a standard trigger group? I really want to use my SD3G on my 11.5
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Regarding the G latch on these - is it correct that with the latch I can run a standard trigger group? I really want to use my SD3G on my 11.5
View Quote

You are correct.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Yes. The “G” latch was designed for non-MCX Geissele triggers.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SMFdarkangel:

Yes. The “G” latch was designed for non-MCX Geissele triggers.
View Quote

Cool. That being said, are we still concerned about breaking triggers due to the more violent action?
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#17]
So, the [A*F] disapproved my Form 1 for the following reason:

DISAPPROVED - OTHER

"MA LTC REQUIRED, REFUND IN PROGRESS"

WTF is this? I've done two other Form 1's for other lowers and never sent in anything related to my LTC credentials...... it's not even asked on the application....

Has anyone seen this before?

- Cross posting this reply in the FORM 1 thread/forum.

Link Posted: 1/3/2023 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#18]

DISAPPROVED - OTHER

WTF is this? I've done two other Form 1's for other lowers and never sent in anything related to my LTC credentials...... it's not even asked on the application....

View Quote

Yeah. It’s a thing. Since gun ownership in MA requires a license, they make you prove it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By goloud:

Yeah. It’s a thing. Since gun ownership in MA requires a license, they make you prove it.
View Quote

I'll reach out to them during normal business hours about where in the application to upload the LTC.

This wasn't an issue on the other F1s I did in 2022... odd that its a "thing" now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 11:32:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 60-Driver] [#20]
Ok so technically not Virtus specific but I have a question...

I have three legacy upper receivers and was prepping one for Cerakote when I noticed the feed ramp insert screws appear to be drilled out/tamper resistant thereby rendering it a permanently installed piece.  At first I thought the screws were just stripped but a second receiver also has similar screws whereas the third receiver has normal torx-screws.  Did I just get unlucky with two of these receivers?  Are they supposed to be like this?
Attachment Attached File

Now I get that 99% of users will never need to replace the ramp and normally this wouldn't bother me but my OCD demons are desiring a completely stripped receiver prior to coating.  What's also interesting is why Sig would use tamper screws here (if intentional) when every other "detachable" part is removable?  

Also, does anyone happen to know what size screws are used for the feed ramp insert?  They look to be the same as the deflector housing so I'm guessing 4-40x1/4?

@coregon
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:39:13 AM EDT
[#21]

I'll reach out to them during normal business hours about where in the application to upload the LTC.

This wasn't an issue on the other F1s I did in 2022... odd that its a "thing" now.
View Quote

Wasn’t trying to sound flippant. Sorry if it came off that way.

It’s been a requirement for as long as I can remember. 15-20 years at least. It depends on your examiner remembering that you need it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 9:31:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigchillin83] [#22]

DISAPPROVED - OTHER

View Quote

i feel your pain bro!!! i just had a disapproval/rejection of form 1 because in "OAL section" i mistakenly put "31" extended".... they rejected it and said they only wanted to know the measurements not any other info  i mean looking at it now i know i shouldnt have put it but come on......
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#23]

I have three legacy upper receivers and was prepping one for Cerakote when I noticed the feed ramp insert screws appear to be drilled out/tamper resistant thereby rendering it a permanently installed piece.  At first I thought the screws were just stripped but a second receiver also has similar screws whereas the third receiver has normal torx-screws.  Did I just get unlucky with two of these receivers?  Are they supposed to be like this?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/444683/IMG_3084_JPG-2659753.JPG

Now I get that 99% of users will never need to replace the ramp and normally this wouldn't bother me but my OCD demons are desiring a completely stripped receiver prior to coating.  What's also interesting is why Sig would use tamper screws here (if intentional) when every other "detachable" part is removable?  

Also, does anyone happen to know what size screws are used for the feed ramp insert?  They look to be the same as the deflector housing so I'm guessing 4-40x1/4?

@coregon
View Quote

Feed ramps are a serviceable part, but they are considered an armorer-level replacement.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By coregon:

Feed ramps are a serviceable part, but they are considered an armorer-level replacement.
View Quote

@coregon

Can you work some magic towards the development of an MCX specific reaction rod?
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#25]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/444683/IMG_3084_JPG-2659753.JPG

@coregon
View Quote

Per the Armorer Maintenance Manual the screws are 1/4" length 4-40 thread pitch.  They are torqued to 10 in/lbs.  As @Coregon stated above, the manual indicates that this item is "not serviceable at this level of maintenance."  They recommend return to Sig Sauer for service.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By goloud:

Wasn’t trying to sound flippant. Sorry if it came off that way.

It’s been a requirement for as long as I can remember. 15-20 years at least. It depends on your examiner remembering that you need it.
View Quote

All good. Didn’t come off that way at all. It’s a simple fix. Just takes some more time and prints getting re-done.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Any here know if there is a weight difference between commercial 6.75in and Mil/Leo (W prefixed) 6.75in 300blk exchange kits?
I know internal barrel coatings are different, just curious if barrel profiles are different.  (If at all)
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:
Any here know if there is a weight difference between commercial 6.75in and Mil/Leo (W prefixed) 6.75in 300blk exchange kits?
I know internal barrel coatings are different, just curious if barrel profiles are different.  (If at all)
https://i.imgur.com/J8nHGPp.jpg
View Quote

To my knowledge, there isn’t.  The profile on my W prefix looks identical to the pics of other 6.75 barrels.  

The 4 W prefix barrels I’ve had all appeared chrome lined.

Legacy barrels had a lighter profile when compared to Virtus barrels.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Subpar:
To my knowledge, there isn’t.  The profile on my W prefix looks identical to the pics of other 6.75 barrels.  
View Quote

I appreciate that.
I'm just now getting confirmation from other buddies as well. Everything is the same with the exception of coatings.

Some other sites and posts reference a "larger" profile, which prompted my question.  
Going to barrel swap the 5.5 300blk to a 6.75 blk. All that work for an inch and a quarter lol.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#30]
So, I've found a solution to my "low-profile/LVAW forward assist stripped thread fiasco..."

After reading the FAQ Thread and confirming specs, screw and thread sizes with SIG CS, I began my endeavor.

I purchased the PowerCoil UNC4-40 Thread Repair Kit [pictured below]. This kit has everything you need to repair any 4-40 stripped thread. Good buy.

Several members had recommended after the fact (and I wish I had listened and not impulse purchased) checking MGW for the screws to avoid purchasing a complete forward assist from SIG.

After receiving the new forward assist to have some spare and backup parts if there was something more going on behind the scenes, I took a look at the low-profile/LVAW forward assist I had installed and immediately realized that both the threads and screws were fine...

The actual plastic on the LVAW forward assist had split from obvious over-torquing...

So, I removed the LVAW forward assist, replaced it with the new standard forward assist, torqued to 10-inch lbs. and we were back in action...

Really goes to show you how little you need to work on these small screws. I fault myself for not looking in the FAQ thread before tackling this project to get the torque specs but in the end, lesson learned.

I'll hopefully get to order another LVAW forward assist soon as I really enjoyed getting the bulky stock one off.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#31]

I appreciate that.
I'm just now getting confirmation from other buddies as well. Everything is the same with the exception of coatings.

Some other sites and posts reference a "larger" profile, which prompted my question.  
Going to barrel swap the 5.5 300blk to a 6.75 blk. All that work for an inch and a quarter lol.
View All Quotes

I appreciate that.

Remember to swap the recoil spring assembly rod to a Virtus spec one to work with the 6.75" barrel in your Rattler.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:
Remember to swap the recoil spring assembly rod to a Virtus spec one to work with the 6.75" barrel in your Rattler.
View Quote
Yuup. I have the entire virtus recoil assembly on order to avoid having to remove the roll pin everytime *If* I want to swap back.
556 rattler handguard to flush out the end.

I wish archived threads kept the usernames intact. There's a lot of good information lost in the void.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#33]
So, I've found a solution to my "low-profile/LVAW forward assist stripped thread fiasco..."

After reading the FAQ Thread and confirming specs, screw and thread sizes with SIG CS, I began my endeavor.

I purchased the PowerCoil UNC4-40 Thread Repair Kit [pictured below]. This kit has everything you need to repair any 4-40 stripped thread. Good buy.

Several members had recommended after the fact (and I wish I had listened and not impulse purchased) checking MGW for the screws to avoid purchasing a complete forward assist from SIG.

After receiving the new forward assist to have some spare and backup parts if there was something more going on behind the scenes, I took a look at the low-profile/LVAW forward assist I had installed and immediately realized that both the threads and screws were fine...

The actual plastic on the LVAW forward assist had split from obvious over-torquing...

So, I removed the LVAW forward assist, replaced it with the new standard forward assist, torqued to 10-inch lbs. and we were back in action...

Really goes to show you how little you need to work on these small screws. I fault myself for not looking in the FAQ thread before tackling this project to get the torque specs but in the end, lesson learned.

I'll hopefully get to order another LVAW forward assist soon as I really enjoyed getting the bulky stock one off.

Thanks everyone for the help.
View Quote

I love success stories! Glad it all worked out in the end. I've been down that road before and made some dumb mistakes working on rifles. All you can do is laugh at yourself and try to learn from them. Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By six3seven:
Per the Armorer Maintenance Manual the screws are 1/4" length 4-40 thread pitch.  They are torqued to 10 in/lbs.  As @Coregon stated above, the manual indicates that this item is "not serviceable at this level of maintenance."  They recommend return to Sig Sauer for service.

Ah ok that all makes sense.  Thanks much!
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#35]
A few months ago I had a black 11.5 Virtus LE that I stupidly traded for another rifle as I was afraid of the whole "SHTF" and parts availability for the MCX series. I have since sold said rifle, while it was a SOLGW, it was a 16" and overall for my needs it's not what I want. So, I'm back in the market for a 11.5 Virtus in black.

That said, I had a couple questions before buying one that you folks could probably help out with.

-Since the MCX has been out, has the 6061 vs 7075 aluminum thing been an issue given the upper is reinforced on the inside? I'm mostly speaking on terms of durability of being used and abused for training and so forth. I assume the lower is also 6061 and obviously trigger pin wear is also on the mind.

-Has anyone used the Arisaka ZRC? I noticed with my last MCX that rail shift is a real thing, just pushing on one side would shift it quite a bit. I thought about getting the ZRC but didn't know if that would be enough. I'd like to put something on the top picatinny rail that clamps the handguard to the upper to also prevent shifting.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By bravozero:
A few months ago I had a black 11.5 Virtus LE that I stupidly traded for another rifle as I was afraid of the whole "SHTF" and parts availability for the MCX series. I have since sold said rifle, while it was a SOLGW, it was a 16" and overall for my needs it's not what I want. So, I'm back in the market for a 11.5 Virtus in black.

That said, I had a couple questions before buying one that you folks could probably help out with.

-Since the MCX has been out, has the 6061 vs 7075 aluminum thing been an issue given the upper is reinforced on the inside? I'm mostly speaking on terms of durability of being used and abused for training and so forth. I assume the lower is also 6061 and obviously trigger pin wear is also on the mind.

-Has anyone used the Arisaka ZRC? I noticed with my last MCX that rail shift is a real thing, just pushing on one side would shift it quite a bit. I thought about getting the ZRC but didn't know if that would be enough. I'd like to put something on the top picatinny rail that clamps the handguard to the upper to also prevent shifting.

Thanks!
View Quote

lowers are 7071, uppers are 6061. I've never heard of anyone having an issue with wear on an MCX upper, feed ramps, cam path, and charging handle lugs are all steel reinforced. I dont think you'll ever have an issue.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Thanks!
View Quote

Can confirm that the Arisaka ZRC will hold zero. It’ll get the job done just as you wish.

I have three of them (two for my 16” barrel handguards and one for my 11.5”).
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By GraniteStateMike:

lowers are 7071, uppers are 6061. I've never heard of anyone having an issue with wear on an MCX upper, feed ramps, cam path, and charging handle lugs are all steel reinforced. I dont think you'll ever have an issue.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GraniteStateMike:

Really? I could have sworn that I read the entire gun was 6061. Source of the lower being 7075? Not doubting you, just want to see for myself and be reassured. Too bad the 7075 Rattler uppers won't directly work with the Virtus parts.

Can confirm that the Arisaka ZRC will hold zero. It’ll get the job done just as you wish.

I have three of them (two for my 16” barrel handguards and one for my 11.5”).

Cool, thanks. That's probably my biggest complaint besides the handguard size itself is the zero shift due to how it's designed. I still run backup sights on my fighting guns so obviously this is important to fix.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Really? I could have sworn that I read the entire gun was 6061. Source of the lower being 7075? Not doubting you, just want to see for myself and be reassured. Too bad the 7075 Rattler uppers won't directly work with the Virtus parts.

Cool, thanks. That's probably my biggest complaint besides the handguard size itself is the zero shift due to how it's designed. I still run backup sights on my fighting guns so obviously this is important to fix.
View Quote

my best friend works at SIG in machining.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I still run backup sights on my fighting guns so obviously this is important to fix.
View Quote

I just mount my front iron sight on the last upper receiver rail slot to avoid any issue with the handguard.  That also allows the light to be mounted on the handguard without any issue with the front sight blocking the light.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#41]
So how realistically is it that I can find a SRD-762TI-10? And how much do they go for? I don’t see many in private hands. Was it not sold long?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Omega9000:
So how realistically is it that I can find a SRD-762TI-10? And how much do they go for? I don’t see many in private hands. Was it not sold long?
View Quote

There’s one on GB right now.  I’d expect it to go for a few thousand at least.  I’d love to have one, but I can’t justify it at the prices it’ll fetch.

They were sold for a number of years.  I think the SRD series was released around ‘15-‘16.  I bet they sold a bunch, but the popularity ramped up after they were discontinued with LVAW clone bros.

It would be sweet if they re-released the Ti cans, but I don’t see that happening.  SIG is always moving forward as a company.

As far as finding one, you’ll have to get bent over on price or get lucky at a flyover country gun shop that had one sitting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#43]

There’s one on GB right now.  I’d expect it to go for a few thousand at least.  I’d love to have one, but I can’t justify it at the prices it’ll fetch.

They were sold for a number of years.  I think the SRD series was released around ‘15-‘16.  I bet they sold a bunch, but the popularity ramped up after they were discontinued with LVAW clone bros.

It would be sweet if they re-released the Ti cans, but I don’t see that happening.  SIG is always moving forward as a company.

As far as finding one, you’ll have to get bent over on price or get lucky at a flyover country gun shop that had one sitting.
View Quote

That’s funny, I literally looked yesterday and had almost lost hope. I was actually gonna take a road trip and stop at a few gun shops along the way to search around.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#44]
The last SRD762TI-10 I saw was sold on Gunbroker by Railscales (same people who have the current one listed). It sold for $2,650 if I remember correctly, and that was back in March of 2022. I also know of someone who has one that was considering selling it. He said he has been offered $4k for it... People are crazy lol.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By sbye:
The last SRD762TI-10 I saw was sold on Gunbroker by Railscales (same people who have the current one listed). It sold for $2,650 if I remember correctly, and that was back in March of 2022. I also know of someone who has one that was considering selling it. He said he has been offered $4k for it... People are crazy lol.
View Quote

Wow. I don’t even have anything cool enough to trade to make 4K. 2k for 1 can is tough. I’m moving a bunch of noveske stuff right now so I could probably do it but… the Q trash panda is looking way more enticing since I probably won’t win the bid LOL.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Omega9000:

Wow. I don’t even have anything cool enough to trade to make 4K. 2k for 1 can is tough. I’m moving a bunch of noveske stuff right now so I could probably do it but… the Q trash panda is looking way more enticing since I probably won’t win the bid LOL.
View Quote

Actually, I just found some old screen shots from the old Gunbroker listings. The guy who bought the SRD762TI-10 from Railscales for $2,650 tried to flip it for more on Gunbroker with a buy now price of $3,875. It only ended up selling for $1,950... (May of 2022). So he got taken to the cleaners. Maybe this one won't be too bad, but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ThatGuyTheCooler:

Legacy upper has an extended top rail with multiple "vents" before it would meet the HG. Legacy barrel extension has square lugs (like an AR extension), while a Virtus barrel extension has rounded lugs.

Not my pics

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/640x753/q7ei4o.jpg
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/640x753/spq14m.png
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ThatGuyTheCooler:
Originally Posted By mdavis:

Not my pics

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/640x753/q7ei4o.jpg
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/640x753/spq14m.png

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#48]
I picked up a virtus with the intent to SBR it, but with the spear being released I don’t see the benefit of doing that now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Zed's dead.......

Hopefully not like this thread....
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 1:34:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Just sparking some curiosity...

Been heavily debating selling my Virtus Patrol [Noctis model]... Just because I never shoot her anymore and she's turned into a safe queen/relic. Had her factory cleaned and just got her back from SIG fresh as new...

Hold it or not and why?
Page / 69
Sig MCX Virtus (Page 64 of 69)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top