Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 15 of 24)
Page / 24
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ChengSMGT:
Ok, here's the skinny on the LunarTech enhanced bolt release. Received it today in a small padded envelope. I did note a small hole in the envelope where the extension of the release poked through. This is what you get inside:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53336690463_2a79f4c965_c.jpg

I have a downloaded version of the factory manual so I looked at the parts diagram on page 37 to see what I needed to do. You are looking at parts 128 (pin), 168 (bolt release) and 169 (spring). Using a 3/32" pin punch I knocked out the pin with a brad hammer. By pushing it completely out I was able to use the punch to keep things in place and control it. Once at that point you push the release towards the rear (compressing the spring). I then removed the punch and pulled up on the front of the release to remove it from the lower. The spring isn't very strong so I don't think there's much chance of launching things across the room. Here is what the two pieces look like together:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53335583007_815d0a1011_c.jpg

The new part looks good. The factory release has striations for grip, the LunarTech has a pebbled finish for that. Swap the spring over to the new part and put things back together. I was able to push the pin back in place using the punch for most of its length, then tapped it in the rest of the way with the hammer. All told it took about five minutes to swap. Easy-peasy.
View Quote

My concern with 3D printed things is durability.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Scrapple:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ChengSMGT:
Ok, here's the skinny on the LunarTech enhanced bolt release. Received it today in a small padded envelope. I did note a small hole in the envelope where the extension of the release poked through. This is what you get inside:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53336690463_2a79f4c965_c.jpg

I have a downloaded version of the factory manual so I looked at the parts diagram on page 37 to see what I needed to do. You are looking at parts 128 (pin), 168 (bolt release) and 169 (spring). Using a 3/32" pin punch I knocked out the pin with a brad hammer. By pushing it completely out I was able to use the punch to keep things in place and control it. Once at that point you push the release towards the rear (compressing the spring). I then removed the punch and pulled up on the front of the release to remove it from the lower. The spring isn't very strong so I don't think there's much chance of launching things across the room. Here is what the two pieces look like together:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53335583007_815d0a1011_c.jpg

The new part looks good. The factory release has striations for grip, the LunarTech has a pebbled finish for that. Swap the spring over to the new part and put things back together. I was able to push the pin back in place using the punch for most of its length, then tapped it in the rest of the way with the hammer. All told it took about five minutes to swap. Easy-peasy.

Depends on what plastic it's made of, what settings were used when printed, the overall design...  If you printed it yourself, you just print a new one.  If someone else printed it, you measure it, model it, then print it yourself.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Grey looks spectacular:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/0Q8A2093-Edit.jpg
View Quote

Looks great for winter
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Watch_this71:

Would love to see the finished product
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/18/2023 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

It's not like you don't have another method to close the bolt should the release lever fail. Keep the factory one as a back-up, done.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone know the distance from the center of bore to the top of the picatinny rail? As in height over bore.

Googling is failing me.

I just picked one up used and don't have the manual.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RottenPumpkin:
Does anyone know the distance from the center of bore to the top of the picatinny rail? As in height over bore.

Googling is failing me.

View Quote

From an ACOG to barrel it’s 4.5”
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:25:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BSJ] [#8]

Googling is failing me.

View Quote

I get 2.866" (72.79mm).

The math:

Barrel diameter, under the handguard, just behind the SN flat, 0.747" x .5 = 0.374".

Distance from bottom of the barrel at the same location to the top of the Pic rail. 3.24".

3.24 - .374 = 2.866.

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Looks great.  I’m guessing that you can release the bolt easier now?
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Watch_this71:

Looks great.  I’m guessing that you can release the bolt easier now?
View Quote

I haven't run the gun with it yet, but yes it is easier to manipulate now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm considering getting one of these. I recently handled one for a few minutes and I don't think the LoP is going to be an issue for me. The only real issue I foresee is the awkwardness of the reload, specifically releasing the bolt via that pinch method.

For all of you that have one and use/train with it, is there a technique to drop the bolt (besides running the charging handle) that doesn't require the pinch? Like is there a way to do it with your thumb alone after you've inserted the mag?
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 8:07:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Karter14171] [#12]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:
I'm considering getting one of these. I recently handled one for a few minutes and I don't think the LoP is going to be an issue for me. The only real issue I foresee is the awkwardness of the reload, specifically releasing the bolt via that pinch method.

For all of you that have one and use/train with it, is there a technique to drop the bolt (besides running the charging handle) that doesn't require the pinch? Like is there a way to do it with your thumb alone after you've inserted the mag?
View Quote

Yes, I just spin my thumb (that was holding the magazine) around and back towards me and hit the bolt release that way. Easy as pie.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Karter14171:

Yes, I just spin my thumb (that was holding the magazine) around and back towards me and hit the bolt release that way. Easy as pie.
View All Quotes

Forgive me for not quite understanding what you mean by "spin my thumb...around." Can you not just use the straightened thumb or the second knuckle of your index finger on the support side hand to apply rearward pressure straight to the rear?
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 7:44:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Karter14171] [#14]

Forgive me for not quite understanding what you mean by "spin my thumb...around." Can you not just use the straightened thumb or the second knuckle of your index finger on the support side hand to apply rearward pressure straight to the rear?
View Quote

When I insert the mag the pad of my thumb is basically on the paddle release and my pinkly closest to the ground. I then invert my hand, with my pinky now closest to the sky, and hit the bolt release with the pad of my thumb in a rearward motion. I can try and take pictures if I'm still explaining this poorly. I've found this to be the fastest and most fluid way (for me) to do it.

I don't know that the straightened thumb would work, the release is fairly stiff. I tried it a few times and couldn't quite get it. The second knuckle of your index finger would work fine but was a little slower for me than the method I do.

You don't have to do the nipple squeeze or use 2 fingers to release the bolt, if that's part of your question. You just need some leverage which can be provided from the rifle being shouldered or braced on something.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#15]

When I insert the mag the pad of my thumb is basically on the paddle release and my pinkly closest to the ground. I then invert my hand, with my pinky now closest to the sky, and hit the bolt release with the pad of my thumb in a rearward motion. I can try and take pictures if I'm still explaining this poorly. I've found this to be the fastest and most fluid way (for me) to do it.

I don't know that the straightened thumb would work, the release is fairly stiff. I tried it a few times and couldn't quite get it. The second knuckle of your index finger would work fine but was a little slower for me than the method I do.

You don't have to do the nipple squeeze or use 2 fingers to release the bolt, if that's part of your question. You just need some leverage which can be provided from the rifle being shouldered or braced on something.
View Quote
This is a good explanation for how I do it as well but lately I've just been bumping the charging handle since I'm left handed and have the stock in my armpit
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Picked mine up Friday used from an individual.

The trigger will take some getting used to. Long take up, wall, heavy creep, surprise...BANG!

But I managed 2moa at 100 yards sighting it in and 2 of the 5 shots were a surprise.

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#17]

The trigger will take some getting used to. Long take up, wall, heavy creep, surprise...BANG!

But I managed 2moa at 100 yards sighting it in and 2 of the 5 shots were a surprise.

https://i.postimg.cc/7PBvp3k1/20231119-112039.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/v82jPGr3/Screenshot-20231119-122230-Range-Buddy.jpg
View Quote

Great group. Can't wait to see what groups people are able to put up after a trigger upgrade comes to market
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
If you don't mind that'd be great, but I think I'm following you. Will definitely play around with it if/when I get one. Thank you for your explanation!
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Good shooting. Especially if it’s with ball ammo.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#20]

If you don't mind that'd be great, but I think I'm following you. Will definitely play around with it if/when I get one. Thank you for your explanation!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Interesting.  Thanks for the pics!
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Interesting.  Thanks for the pics!
View Quote

Happy to help. It's a cool platform and I think you'll enjoy it!
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if the release extension enhances this process
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:43:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xdmikey] [#25]
Thanks for the pics Karter, very clarifying!

Good explanation Chris.

When I had one at the pawn shop all I ever did was dry fire it, lol.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:15:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Karter14171] [#26]
Originally Posted By xdmikey:
Thanks for the pics Karter, very clarifying!

Good explanation Chris.

When I had one at the pawn shop all I ever did was dry fire it, lol.
View Quote

Hope it helps! I've gotten pretty fast doing it this way with reps. Obviously it ain't an AR bolt release but I don't find it to be too bad now that I'm more familiar with it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

View All Quotes

PMC X-TAC 5.56 55gr FMJ-BT
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

Great result!
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#29]
What optic height works for these? I recall handling one in a store and the irons sit pretty low, but not too concerned with cowitness.  Was thinking about a lower 1/3 scalarworks compm5 s bundle
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JK-919:
What optic height works for these? I recall handling one in a store and the irons sit pretty low, but not too concerned with cowitness.  Was thinking about a lower 1/3 scalarworks compm5 s bundle
View Quote

1/3 works just fine ...
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Welp, just placed an order for an ODG VHS2 through Family Firearms for $1735 shipped. Can't wait to get it in.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Welp, just placed an order for an ODG VHS2 through Family Firearms for $1735 shipped. Can't wait to get it in.
View Quote

I've been holding off going in to my local gun store, because I don't have any self control.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 9:20:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#33]
Originally Posted By mnd:

I've been holding off going in to my local gun store, because I don't have any self control.
View Quote

I have a similar problem: I have lots of 'will power', what I lack is 'won't power'...
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By mnd:  I've been holding off going in to my local gun store, because I don't have any self control.
View Quote

Folks like you are why I bring a credit card machine to gun shows.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Chris_1522:
I just use one finger on the bolt release. After inserting the fresh mag with my support hand, I just bring it (support hand) rearward until the pointer finger can hook and yank the release rearward. The rifle is still shouldered. It is rotated somewhat, but still shouldered.
View Quote

Same.

Just treat it like a mini charging handle that you’re sling-shotting into battery. It’s essentially the same process as my Galil ACE. Action locks open, insert new mag, then the smallest bit of finger pressure on the charging handle (or the release button, for the VHS) is enough to send it home
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:44:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#36]
After practicing reloads ... I have no qualms about the mechanism ... its simple and it works ... with a mag inserted ... very snag free ... really much about this gun is snag free in use ... still my biggest issue is the magwell ... needs a funnel ...
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:

Same.

Just treat it like a mini charging handle that you’re sling-shotting into battery. It’s essentially the same process as my Galil ACE. Action locks open, insert new mag, then the smallest bit of finger pressure on the charging handle (or the release button, for the VHS) is enough to send it home
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:
Originally Posted By Chris_1522:
I just use one finger on the bolt release. After inserting the fresh mag with my support hand, I just bring it (support hand) rearward until the pointer finger can hook and yank the release rearward. The rifle is still shouldered. It is rotated somewhat, but still shouldered.

Same.

So in your opinion, if you reload using a beer can grip on the mag (thumb wrapped around and to the rear), once it is inserted can you just hit the bolt release with the last part of your thumb (not the tip, the part between the hand and tip)?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Don't know who this fella is but shows how capable the Hellion really is from 0-800...

Performance of the Springfield Hellion Quantified: Quantified Perfomance match at The Sawmill, SC
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#39]
LunarTech just released an extended mag release for the VHS2
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:46:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMA] [#40]
So I think my Hellion might be headed back to Springfield. I took it to the range yesterday and it started out fine. About the 3rd mag in I get a dead trigger. Ejected the round and noticed a very light primer strike. Ran a few more rounds and then got a dead trigger again - same thing. After that, it started getting down to every other shot being a dead trigger - eject the round and notice a light primer strike. I'd manually cycle the charging handle and get a good shot. But any recoil induced cycle would get me a light primer strike. This is only about my 3rd range trip with it - the other two being trouble free.

I took it home and disassembled it and when I popped the stock off the BCG came with it. I noticed it was pretty hard to separate the stock/recoil spring assemble from the BCG - it took significant force. I thoroughly cleaned everything and reassembled and noticed the same thing - stock/recoil spring assembly is hard to get inserted into the BCG. When manually cycling it, I notice there's a slight hang-up about halfway through the travel.

I think I might have a slightly bent guide rod or every-so-slightly out of spec guide rod hole in the BCG. My guess is that this small hang-up is enough to induce a short stroke causing it to not go 100% into battery and also inducing a light primer strike. I did some googling and haven't read of this happening to anyone else.

I don't think it's ammo related. I'm shooting PPU M193, so decent stuff. I've also not had one malfunction with this same lot of ammo shooting in my AR. Kinda sucks because I was just getting into a groove with the Hellion and I do think it's a great platform, I may have just gotten a lemon. Hopefully this isn't a headache dealing with Springfield. I've never had to send a gun in for warranty work.

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:12:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#41]
Originally Posted By BMA:
So I think my Hellion might be headed back to Springfield. I took it to the range yesterday and it started out fine. About the 3rd mag in I get a dead trigger. Ejected the round and noticed a very light primer strike. Ran a few more rounds and then got a dead trigger again - same thing. After that, it started getting down to every other shot being a dead trigger - eject the round and notice a light primer strike. I'd manually cycle the charging handle and get a good shot. But any recoil induced cycle would get me a light primer strike. This is only about my 3rd range trip with it - the other two being trouble free.

I took it home and disassembled it and when I popped the stock off the BCG came with it. I noticed it was pretty hard to separate the stock/recoil spring assemble from the BCG - it took significant force. I thoroughly cleaned everything and reassembled and noticed the same thing - stock/recoil spring assembly is hard to get inserted into the BCG. When manually cycling it, I notice there's a slight hang-up about halfway through the travel.

I think I might have a slightly bent guide rod or every-so-slightly out of spec guide rod hole in the BCG. My guess is that this small hang-up is enough to induce a short stroke causing it to not go 100% into battery and also inducing a light primer strike. I did some googling and haven't read of this happening to anyone else.

I don't think it's ammo related. I'm shooting PPU M193, so decent stuff. I've also not had one malfunction with this same lot of ammo shooting in my AR. Kinda sucks because I was just getting into a groove with the Hellion and I do think it's a great platform, I may have just gotten a lemon. Hopefully this isn't a headache dealing with Springfield. I've never had to send a gun in for warranty work.

https://i.imgur.com/FAl2UK2.jpg
View Quote

Prior to shooting … did you remove the factory preservative oil the gun shipped in? Particularly the BCG and firing pin? If you didn’t. It will and can cause things to “stick”.  Also the gas piston area.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:53:35 AM EDT
[#42]

Prior to shooting … did you remove the factory preservative oil the gun shipped in? Particularly the BCG and firing pin? If you didn’t. It will and can cause things to “stick”.  Also the gas piston area.
View Quote

I didn't. First range trip was right out of the box. But in between the first and second trip, I did strip it down just to get familiar with it. I added some cherry balmz grease to the carrier rails and guide rod and such, so it's been well lubricated and the sticking shouldn't be attributed to any lube or lack thereof.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 9:09:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#43]
Originally Posted By BMA:

I didn't. First range trip was right out of the box. But in between the first and second trip, I did strip it down just to get familiar with it. I added some cherry balmz grease to the carrier rails and guide rod and such, so it's been well lubricated and the sticking shouldn't be attributed to any lube or lack thereof.
View Quote

But did you clean the inside of the firing pin channel and firing pin to get the OEM preservative off? Just saying ... that stuff can cause these issues (some people had this issue with T7s ... while they did lube the gun ... they never broke down the BCG and firing pin ... afterward they did ... they issues went away) ... not saying that it is 100% absolute that is your issue here but they coat this stuff from across the pond with that stuff ... usually they come via sea in containers so the preservative oil has to be good ... once you apply some heat and friction from firing ... it starts to slightly gum up ... think of it like cosmoline from the soviet era but lighter weight ...
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Prior to shooting   did you remove the factory preservative oil the gun shipped in? Particularly the BCG and firing pin? If you didn't. It will and can cause things to "stick".  Also the gas piston area.
View Quote
Yeah my piston was gummy out of the box as well.. the BCG and op rod were fine but whatever preservative was used seemed like a mix of glue and vasoline
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
Yeah my piston was gummy out of the box as well.. the BCG and op rod were fine but whatever preservative was used seemed like a mix of glue and vasoline
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By right_rudder:

Prior to shooting   did you remove the factory preservative oil the gun shipped in? Particularly the BCG and firing pin? If you didn't. It will and can cause things to "stick".  Also the gas piston area.

Yup ... it is PARAMOUNT to clean and lube ALL aspects of a new gun, especially ones that have barreled actions made across the pond ... 100% they will use cosmoline light to keep things from rusting while they are in transit over the ocean .... Hoppes 9 does a great job taking out these preservatives but also ... if you need to ... kerosene and diesel will do the same ...
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 1:45:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMA] [#46]
So I stripped it back down and did a little more work. I didn't notice any gummed up lube points in the firing pin channel or piston, but I went ahead and cleaned them thoroughly anyway. I did notice a "groove" on the guide rod. That grooved spot is exactly where you can feel a hang-up during manual cycling. I hit it with a couple different scotch brite pads to try and smooth it out. Then I oiled everything up and hit the range. No malfunctions through about 50 rounds. We'll see how it goes long term. It does feel better manually cycling it now.

I'm not sure what could have caused this. I'm not even sure if it's normal. Does anyone else's guide rod have any sort of groove or flat spot on it?

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#47]
I’d contact Springfield, this is the first one I’ve seen with issues, happens in mass production but they should fix the issue
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By MAKAK47:
I’d contact Springfield, this is the first one I’ve seen with issues, happens in mass production but they should fix the issue
View Quote

+1

I have my 20" out... there's a faint faint little contact line on the guide rod but nothing like that.

Also found SOG's new BAR15T bayonet fits fine on my (perhaps oversized?) bayonet lug.  Ridiculous bayonet but that was the appeal.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 7:22:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CFII] [#49]
I drunkenly bought the Lunartech extended magazine release and magwell, and I installed them today.

IMG_6041 by MajorLeagueHooker, on Flickr
IMG_6043 by MajorLeagueHooker, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By CFII:
I drunkenly bought the Lunartech extended magazine release and magwell, and I installed them today.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53365017996_c64f32ba9e_b.jpgIMG_6041 by MajorLeagueHooker, on Flickr
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53365017976_05b47d2295_b.jpgIMG_6043 by MajorLeagueHooker, on Flickr
View Quote

what do you think?
Page / 24
Springfield Hellion VHS 2 (Page 15 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top