Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Does it do anything better than 9mm or is it still just a pistol round that does pistol round damage?
View Quote

Loaded w/ the 50 grn Liberty bullet, you might get into 5.7x28mm/.22 TCM/7.5 BRNO territory out of a sub-compact.  So, interesting - but not at 1400-1800 fps, unless you're throwing hard cast @ bears.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Wait, GD and the Internet at large has repeatedly assured me that BuLLeT aDvAnCeS  means 9mm is "just as good" as all other handgun cartridges often citing the FBI switch as proof in spite of the report actually citing it was good enough to get the logistical savings.

Also GD has informed me that having 15 instead of 17 or 13 instead of 15 rounds in my carry gun will be my funeral even though statistically the number of shots fired in a defensive encounter is three.

So I am confused, 9mm was supposed to have won the Caliber Wars, why develop or bring back any other cartridge as anything faster is worthless and anything with fewer rounds will mean you die in the multi-mag gunfights that occur all the time?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wait, GD and the Internet at large has repeatedly assured me that BuLLeT aDvAnCeS  means 9mm is "just as good" as all other handgun cartridges often citing the FBI switch as proof in spite of the report actually citing it was good enough to get the logistical savings.

Also GD has informed me that having 15 instead of 17 or 13 instead of 15 rounds in my carry gun will be my funeral even though statistically the number of shots fired in a defensive encounter is three.

So I am confused, 9mm was supposed to have won the Caliber Wars, why develop or bring back any other cartridge as anything faster is worthless and anything with fewer rounds will mean you die in the multi-mag gunfights that occur all the time?  
View Quote

Because you don't have to lure fish, you have to lure fishermen.

9x19 did win the caliber wars, but gun guys like to buy gun stuff.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Last I checked, .38 Super doesn't fit in a 9mm framed handgun like a G19 or M&P 2.0 Compact.
View Quote

I wouldn't know, i have only ever seen them in 1911's, CZ clones and Sig (Browning BDA) made one years ago.

In looking at the pictures of the round.  .38 super is about the same length as .45acp

Couldn't an M&P 2.0 in .45acp be a host gun?  Maybe mod the ejector?
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought 9mm was "just as good" now lol
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is.

Which is why this is retarded.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not, GD just likes pretending it is.  9mm is the new fad and speaking against it is heresy (see: piston ARs being untouchable back when they were the hawtness)

40 pushes a heavier pill faster with a slightly larger hole, 357 SIG pushes the same pill faster, both lose a bit on capacity to 9, 10mm trumps all but has a larger frame.

BuLLeT tEcHnOlOgY benefited every caliber, it's not like somehow 9mm "caught up", JHPs are just more reliable across the board now.

The "just as good" crowd think that because there isn't a massive difference in wounds from the varying calibers that all are the same, and that's a flawed conclusion.  Pistol calibers rely on CNS hit or blood loss, extra velocity and/or mass can make the difference in reaching something important or not with enough velocity to do the needed damage.  Yes, all the flavors do the same amount of "hydrostatic shock" (read: none) because their velocities are too low, but that doesn't mean they don't bring anything to the table.  

Whether someone believes the drawbacks (higher recoil, less capacity) are worth those benefits is subjective.  It should be noted that 40 served LE just fine for decades, it wasn't replaced because it was ineffective, but instead because 9mm is easier to qualify with, less expensive, and across the board is good enough.  

I say this as someone with 80-90% of my handgun collection being in 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
what's the negative with .357 sig?

seemed good enough at that texas church shooting.
View Quote

Its a retarded meme caliber, something that .356 TSW is even better at.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Winchester 127Gn +P+ 9mm is fast enough
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So it's 9mm major. I definitely didn't break an ejector on a Sig P226 shooting 9mm major in it.

I'll pass. If I want 40 recoil I want the bigger bullet that comes with it.
View Quote

I thought that too. Add the extra brass and it’s more like 960 Rowland.

My P226STE has seen a steady diet of 9Major and it shoots well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Against human threats?  Yep.

The hunting/backpacking "woods gun" angle is indeed a different story though.  But I just don't really need that sort of thing these days.
View Quote

Quoted:

Yes.

Because when it comes to what we are trying to do with defensive handguns, they don't reliably produce results that are vastly superior to 9mm.

All handgun bullets to...all of them...is punch holes in things. Bigger, heavier bullets can do a better job of breaking through bones. Lighter, faster bullets can do a better job of zipping through intermediate barriers.

In the end, though, all we get is a bullet that creates a permanent crush cavity that hopefully reliably penetrates deep enough to hit important vital structures in a human being. Bullets that over-expand cause shallow penetration. If you take an HST and you push it from the ~ 1,100-1,200 FPS it is currently running and stick the very same bullet over more powder pushing it to ~ 1,400-1,500 fps or more it's going to over-expand and penetrate shallow.

So you need, at a minimum, a new bullet that will expand more slowly to go along with the increased velocity. And that bullet will end up expanding about as much as the 9mm bullet. And it will end up with about the same penetration as the 9mm bullet. It may do a bit better through intermediate barriers, but by "a bit" I mean the performance difference will be extremely marginal.

Because physics is physics. Every cartridge is a compromise.

Now if you are looking for a caliber/cartridge you can push to the gills to hunt game with, the extra capacity can come in handy. I'd rather have a 10mm loaded well if I was hunting, say, hogs, than my 9mm. Some of the advantages the 10mm's larger bullet and larger powder capacity starts to come into play in those circumstances.

But against human threats, a .356 TSW or .357 Sig is still going to be pushing a .355 bullet into human flesh where, if the bullet is designed properly for the velocity it is going, will penetrate deeply enough to hit the vitals of a person and will expand reliably to the same general size as a 9mm projectile.

That's what a .357 magnum does, by the way. The .357 magnum loaded to its potential pushing a 158 grain bullet fast penetrates deep. So deep, in fact, that it tends to overpenetrate. And in flesh it doesn't do anything spectacular that sets it apart from what a 124 grain or 147 grain 9mm projectile does to tissue. But if you need that extra penetration for performance at distance against game, or to bust through the tougher bits on a hog, the extra blast, recoil, and slower followup shots aren't an issue anymore. In defensive use of a handgun that .357's extra penetration doesn't buy you any advantage unless you're shooting at a dude through a significant barrier...and even then, it does so at the cost of lower capacity and slower followup. With more capacity and more time you can shoot more rounds from a 9mm and negate the benefit of that barrier.

Handgun bullets just punch holes in things. To make them do more than that you have to make them move twice as fast or make them more than twice as heavy. Either of which means you can't fit the cartridge into a practical handgun anymore.
View Quote

I think the three of us are on the same sheet of music in terms of terminal ballistics against human threats.

Replacing a .357mag revolver as an outdoors gun is exactly where this thing makes the most sense. Remember, before the COVID-ocalypse hit, we were living in a world where Blackhawks were $600+ guns, GP-100s were $700+ guns, and 686s were $800+ guns, and all of those have all of the same drawbacks inherent to medium to full size revolvers. Getting .357mag-ish performance from a cartridge that fits in 9mm pistol form factors is a big upgrade, especially if those guns can be brought to market for the same price as typical 9mms. A $400 polymer striker thing that holds 10-20 rounds of .356TSW is far more appealing than a $800 revolver that weighs 40oz and only holds 6 rounds of .357mag.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think the three of us are on the same sheet of music in terms of terminal ballistics against human threats.

Replacing a .357mag revolver as an outdoors gun is exactly where this thing makes the most sense. Remember, before the COVID-ocalypse hit, we were living in a world where Blackhawks were $600+ guns, GP-100s were $700+ guns, and 686s were $800+ guns, and all of those have all of the same drawbacks inherent to medium to full size revolvers. Getting .357mag-ish performance from a cartridge that fits in 9mm pistol form factors is a big upgrade, especially if those guns can be brought to market for the same price as typical 9mms. A $400 polymer striker thing that holds 10-20 rounds of .356TSW is far more appealing than a $800 revolver that weighs 40oz and only holds 6 rounds of .357mag.
View Quote

Yes... and no.

The .356TSW, and indeed all of the other “9mm magnum” rounds can do some of the stuff that .357mag does, but not all.  They can duplicate the “antipersonnel” .357mag loads pretty close, but like I said before, in that role the .357Mag is just another pistol round.

The .357mag, IMHO, really gets its “woods gun”’ cred from heavier bullets still moving pretty damn fast (180gr hard cast does a number on deer, for example), and I don’t see anything fitting in the “9mm handgun” size envelope duplicating that performance.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I will just keep my 9x23mm, thank you.
View Quote

Yeah. This cartridge makes no sense unless you're married to a small frame handgun, but why would you want to shoot TSW out of a light gun anyway? I'd shoot a G20SF with 9x23 if I wanted this performance.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It was a failure then and it'll be a failure again.  

You have the following in terms of usage.

9mm
45acp
40s&w
357sig
10mm

In ten years the 10mm will pass the 357sig once any agency with them would have switched to 9mm leaving only individual Kool-Aid drinkers, which the 10mm clearly has more of.  

20 years from now, the 40s&w will be thought of as an old quaint memory, like 357sig & 45gap.
View Quote

Respectfully, NO   The sheer quantity of .40 S&W guns out there (Glocks, M&Ps & many others) just don't really wear out.

Plus I actually like the .40 S&W ballistics as a midpoint between .45 & 9mm.  

Recently trade into a pair of .40s (along with 9mm 'extra' barrels) so I can shoot either flavor of 9 or .40.  

But after fun at the range, when I put it all back cleaned & read to go on top of the night stand, the .40 S&W barrel with Fed HST 180's are in it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#15]
5.7 is the way to go
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's not, GD just likes pretending it is.  9mm is the new fad and speaking against it is heresy (see: piston ARs being untouchable back when they were the hawtness)

40 pushes a heavier pill faster with a slightly larger hole, 357 SIG pushes the same pill faster, both lose a bit on capacity to 9, 10mm trumps all but has a larger frame.

BuLLeT tEcHnOlOgY benefited every caliber, it's not like somehow 9mm "caught up", JHPs are just more reliable across the board now.

The "just as good" crowd think that because there isn't a massive difference in wounds from the varying calibers that all are the same, and that's a flawed conclusion.  Pistol calibers rely on CNS hit or blood loss, extra velocity and/or mass can make the difference in reaching something important or not with enough velocity to do the needed damage.  Yes, all the flavors do the same amount of "hydrostatic shock" (read: none) because their velocities are too low, but that doesn't mean they don't bring anything to the table.  

Whether someone believes the drawbacks (higher recoil, less capacity) are worth those benefits is subjective.  It should be noted that 40 served LE just fine for decades, it wasn't replaced because it was ineffective, but instead because 9mm is easier to qualify with, less expensive, and across the board is good enough.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said. I carry a variety of calibers (9mm,40,45,357 sig, 357 magnum) throughout the year. I have no issue with any of them if I need them in a self defense situation. Loss of a couple rounds in capacity means nothing to me either. I’m still alive so I will keep doing what I do.  As for this new round, I am all for new stuff. I don’t see it making it past boutique status though. We live in a good time for firearms and ammo. Way better than the 90’s to 2004
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#17]
When Underwood puts out a 125gr penetrator and I can get a barrel/spring kit for my G43 I might be interested. Until then PPU 357 Sig is king of the hill @ +1500fps.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cool.

They probably need more factory guns and a major manufacturer like Hornady to pick it up in order for it to stick.
View Quote

S&W introduced it and promoted it big time for quite a few years IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#19]
A bigger problem - and one that bedeviled .357 sig as well - is that a new projectile needs to be designed to take advantage of the extra velocity and energy the TSW provides.

Ideally, you'd want something that replicates the Remington 125gr SJHP .357 Mag projectile to go with the 1450fps velocity of the TSW.

That dual action projectile - combining explosive fragmentation with JHP expansion and penetration - was the secret sauce for .357's disproportionate effectiveness.

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I will just keep my 9x23mm, thank you.
View Quote

@grendelbane

What velocities are you seeing through your gun?  Do you use heavier (147+) bullets, or just the lighter bullets?
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What problem does it solve that existing 9mm doesn't already handle?
View Quote

It allows people to sit around and jack off each other who have bought into the magical hype.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So great that it never went anywhere.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It allows people to sit around and jack off each other who have bought into the magical hype.
View Quote

Didn’t realize increased performance and energy was only hype.

Strange world we live in. Do you live your life settling with “good enough” or do you look for more?
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Will it really do more that a hot .38 super comp or 9x21?

The .38 super comp in a ramped barrel solved most of the
problems without requiring painfully expensive commercial
ammunition like the 9x21.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I don’t want no stinking Glock!!!

I want my smith and Wesson 3rd gen back!!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#26]

What velocities are you seeing through your gun?  Do you use heavier (147+) bullets, or just the lighter bullets?    
View Quote

Factory 125 grain Silvertips will break 1500 fps on a warm day.

I have loaded 147 grain XTPs to 1340 fps.  Didn't go higher because it seemed fast enough, but more might be possible.  Not much more room for powder however.

The 147 XTPs hold together well on water and a couple of other test media.  Some expansion, not a lot, and lots of penetration.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Big Blue chambered it in two autos and one j-frame revolver. All were Performance Center guns and the cartridge was killed before it had a shot due to IPSC literally declaring it verboten for the matches before it hit the market.
View Quote

I forgot about the little J-frame in this round.  I’d actually dig one of those.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
5.7 is the way to go
View Quote

7.5 FK Brno.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I have been a big proponent of the 9MM since my first one in 1990. I have had to carry .40 due to work though.  I saw serious interest in this cartridge back in the day. .40 and .357 SiG had already been released.  I think it would be a very good viable woods gun with hard cast loads and in a self defense load.  A 124 grain JHP would be the cats ass.  Easier to control than a K or L frame revolver with more capacity.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Will it really do more that a hot .38 super comp or 9x21?

The .38 super comp in a ramped barrel solved most of the
problems without requiring painfully expensive commercial
ammunition like the 9x21.
View Quote

Problem with the .38 Super is the Semi-Rim
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

.38 Super Comp isn’t.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  Didn’t realize increased performance and energy was only hype.

Strange world we live in. Do you live your life settling with “good enough” or do you look for more?
View Quote

Increased performance & energy to do what?  Shoot bears?  Sure.  Shooting 2-legged miscreants?  What extra damage is your wonder round going to do?  Unless you push something over 2100 fps, it's still just a pistol bullet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#37]
The more I study ballistics, and like many of you I've been doing it for 25 years, the more convinced I am that pistol calibers don't make a whole lot of difference. It isn't until you get up into the 2200 fps range that you produce serious wounds, and there just aren't any normal handguns that can get there. Pistol hits are only DRT stops with a CNS hit. Everything else is more about bullet design, meaning that a 10mm pushing a 135gr JHP is a WORSE bear gun than a 9mm shooting 147gr ball.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Still doesn't fit in a gun like a G17.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.38 Super Comp isn't.
Still doesn't fit in a gun like a G17.

Why is that important? The SF Glocks aren't much bigger but handle the recoil better for these major pf cartridges.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  The more I study ballistics, and like many of you I've been doing it for 25 years, the more convinced I am that pistol calibers don't make a whole lot of difference. It isn't until you get up into the 2200 fps range that you produce serious wounds, and there just aren't any normal handguns that can get there. Pistol hits are only DRT stops with a CNS hit. Everything else is more about bullet design, meaning that a 10mm pushing a 135gr JHP is a WORSE bear gun than a 9mm shooting 147gr ball.
View Quote

Liberty loads a 50 grn 9x19mm @ 2000 fps, albeit I don't know what bbl length they're testing in.  That same bullet in .357 SIG or 9x25mm Dillon should clear 2200 fps.  That puts it in .22 TCM/5.7x28mm territory.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 2:10:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Took a marketing class a few years ago.

They talked about how some markets really drove to a two competitor system.  Coke vs Pepsi.  Colgate vs Crest. Other markets seem to drive to a 3 or 4 split, generally with 2 majors and 1 or 2 minors.  (Pizza hut vs Godfathers, with Dominoes being the 3rd, switched to Pizza Hut vs Dominoes, with Papa Johns being the third. Little Caesars as 4th, took a nosedive but recovered back to 4th)

I wonder if there's just something about ammo where we just need X amount of competitors, a perennial '3rd place'.  3rd place either because the old 1st or 2nd gets pushed down by a 3rd place surging forward ( this is the case with 38 special at one time it was #1, got pushed to 3rd,  in the 38 vs 9mm vs 45, the pushed off the map. )  40S&W held the third slot, but now that everyone agrees that it doesn't deserve a place in the top 3, we are going to have a fight for what cartridge emerges as the replacement '3rd placer'
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I just want a modern .32 calibre high-pressure round, something like a hot-rodded 7.65 Longue.

12-15" of penetration, and adequate expansion, in a modern high-cap pistol.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/G1220-Handguns-2.jpg

Corbon and Underwood are loading the cartridge and Briley is making GLOCK conversion kits!

THE .356 TSW - PROMISING CARTRIDGE BACK FROM THE DEAD. WRITTEN BY MASSAD AYOOB

TL;DR

It is a cartridge with the overall length of 9x19mm, but since it is a longer case. It can replicate the 124gr .357 Magnum from a 9mm framed Automatic. No difference in capacity. A G17 holds 17rd of .356 TSW. So all the benefit and none of the negative like the .357 Sig.
View Quote

Dreams do come true!
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
2020 has been retarded enough without this nonsense.
View Quote

Exactly. Just when I though 2020 couldn't get any weirder, .356 TSW. I say this as a guy who has shot thousands of rounds of 357 Sig and carried a Glock 32 or 33 for over 5 years. And reloaded many of those thousands of rounds...

I'd kinda like a .356 TSW chambered Glock 43X/48 though...
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Some may. I recall a Hertenberger 100 grain conical +P+ that was around 1400 FPS out of a G19. The company sold, the resulting product is hot garbage, and the load made a G19 run like a sewing machine. It was good stuff.
Sadly,,,,,,times change, and not always for the better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not just use +p+?

Doesn't that have around 1600fps?

Some may. I recall a Hertenberger 100 grain conical +P+ that was around 1400 FPS out of a G19. The company sold, the resulting product is hot garbage, and the load made a G19 run like a sewing machine. It was good stuff.
Sadly,,,,,,times change, and not always for the better.

Wait...is this mythical Hertenberger Tyconda mentioned in one of Paul Harrell's videos??
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Took a marketing class a few years ago.

They talked about how some markets really drove to a two competitor system.  Coke vs Pepsi.  Colgate vs Crest. Other markets seem to drive to a 3 or 4 split, generally with 2 majors and 1 or 2 minors.  (Pizza hut vs Godfathers, with Dominoes being the 3rd, switched to Pizza Hut vs Dominoes, with Papa Johns being the third. Little Caesars as 4th, took a nosedive but recovered back to 4th)

I wonder if there's just something about ammo where we just need X amount of competitors, a perennial '3rd place'.  3rd place either because the old 1st or 2nd gets pushed down by a 3rd place surging forward ( this is the case with 38 special at one time it was #1, got pushed to 3rd,  in the 38 vs 9mm vs 45, the pushed off the map. )  40S&W held the third slot, but now that everyone agrees that it doesn't deserve a place in the top 3, we are going to have a fight for what cartridge emerges as the replacement '3rd placer'
View Quote

Marketing is a factor, but not the driving force.

We're not discussing Hornady vs Speer vs Federal JHPs, those are brands and fit into your marketing example.  Different calibers, powders, projectiles, firearms, accessories etc. however are made with differing philosophies to meet different needs so there will always be innovation, reiteration, and revisiting.  

It's like cars, "car guys" go far beyond chevy vs ford or whatever, once you get into a hobby far enough you start looking for different options, try different stuff, find and change preferences.  To some degree fashion will drive what's popular, but there's a reason everyone isn't driving a 4 cylinder Civic or v8 Tacoma and there are endless discussions and disagreements surrounding it.  

That's a good thing, i'd be bored to fuck if everything was a 9mm Glock or 5.56 AR15.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

7.5 FK Brno.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5.7 is the way to go

7.5 FK Brno.
Also a cool round but 5.7 has it beat on bullet options, price, gun makes, and also P90
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Exactly. Just when I though 2020 couldn't get any weirder, .356 TSW. I say this as a guy who has shot thousands of rounds of 357 Sig and carried a Glock 32 or 33 for over 5 years. And reloaded many of those thousands of rounds...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2020 has been retarded enough without this nonsense.

Would the Glock 43/43x frame and slide take 50k psi?!?, 9 para is 30 to 35k.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have been a big proponent of the 9MM since my first one in 1990. I have had to carry .40 due to work though.  I saw serious interest in this cartridge back in the day. .40 and .357 SiG had already been released.  I think it would be a very good viable woods gun with hard cast loads and in a self defense load.  A 124 grain JHP would be the cats ass.  Easier to control than a K or L frame revolver with more capacity.
View Quote
It almost sounds like you're talking about 10mm lol
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
.357 Sig's case is the same diameter as .40 S&W. So less capacity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That article is meh. Just what are all these issues with the 357sig cartridge he mentions?

Good luck finding ammo for that, and didn't they say the federal load was basically 9mm velocity? So just like 10mm, true potential was never realized.
.357 Sig's case is the same diameter as .40 S&W. So less capacity.

On the other hand it's not a boutique cartridge, and is fairly available. Especially during panics when everything else is sold out.

I'd rather own a 357 sig. Also 357 sig comes in a wider variety of loadings.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top