Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
PhD in what? Gender studies? History? Math, hard science? Likely something a lot of Indians (dot) or Chinese are competing in. The biggest BS we’re allowing is the mass corruption of H1B visas.

Go to college for 6-8 years, go into debt six figures and have to compete with low-cost diploma-mill foreigners for Starbucks wages. Yeah.....
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The research PhD's in the government aren't on GS scales.  They on paybanded scales which typically see performance based pay increases every year instead of fixed increases every GS step.  They can start in that range, but typically move up rapidly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GS-11's neither possess nor require PhD's regardless of what OPM thinks.
The research PhD's in the government aren't on GS scales.  They on paybanded scales which typically see performance based pay increases every year instead of fixed increases every GS step.  They can start in that range, but typically move up rapidly.
I have known a couple GS employees with PhD's but they were in the 13-15 range. None were required for the positions and were obtained as personal goals or as resume enhancers to compete for future positions.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
lol

It depends entirely on the field and the quality of the university the PhD is from.  A PhD by itself doesn't mean much at all.

If you have a PhD in medieval Spanish poetry from a shitty university, then a $56K job would be an impressive accomplishment.

If you have a PhD in finance from a well-ranked R1 university, then a $56K job would to a pathetic failure.
View Quote
All of this.

I have a masters and make more than $56K, but it's a narrow field and difficult to get into.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It means she's either a lesbian or a womans studies major.

The latter would explain why she isn't making very much with a Ph.D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF is "Cis Heteronormative"?
It means she's either a lesbian or a womans studies major.

The latter would explain why she isn't making very much with a Ph.D.
So in other words, its an excuse. That explains things. People who make excuses don't make themselves successful.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Some people make bad decisions.  A shitty degree is one of them.

I was History/Poli Sci/Anthropology with a Masters in Ed.   So, on paper, I can't do shit.

I finally started to hustle and went corporate at age 27 or so.  Money is out there if you are willing to work it.

One thing I learned a long time ago is that the majority of PhDs are impressive only to the earner.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I know a married couple, the man has a Ph.D in music, French Horn performance to be exact, and his wife has a master's degree in some biology/behavioral sciences branch,  which has had her spending summers camped out in the desert observing the behavior of wild horses for the BLM.    "Of the 17 observed horses in this group,  they average taking 12 shits per hour, group wide, from sunrise to sundown.  Other significant behaviors include....(insert list of actions and counts)..."

Needless to say, they're poor as church mice.

His day job is as the music director for a very small elementary school way out in the Nevada boonies.

At least it's something.   But he'd probably make more money managing the local McD's.

Why people pursue degrees that don't likely lead to gainful employment utterly mystifies me.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Several year ago Mad magazine did a if you can A you’re a genius, but if you expect B you’re an idiot

THE classic example I believe is:
If you can earn a PhD in Pythagorean Astronomy in 3 years you’re a genius.
IF you think you can earn a living other than flipping burgers with it you’re an idiot.

I once saw a book on Satanism written by someone with a PhD in witchcraft.  How well it sold I don’t know.
If you can earn a living with an esoteric PhD more power to you.

In the Real World, don’t bet on it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why do you plan on sending 3 kids to college?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, bigly.

I'm on my second career now. Plan on paying off my 3/4 million dollar house next year. I'm 48.

I have a HS diploma and a pension. Full medical for my wife and I for life, kids until they're 26. I plan on being completely done in another 3 or maybe 4 years, and will be able to pay for my 3 kids' college as well. No student loans.

I drive a new BMW and my wife drives a Range Rover. I also own a newish F150, just because.

Shove your PhD up your ass.
Why do you plan on sending 3 kids to college?
If they want to go, they can go. If not, that's ok too.

Good try.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#9]
If we would allow student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy, we would see a lot less of these pointless degrees. No one would loan money for a woman's studies degree or a gender studies degree if there was a risk of losing your loaned money in bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Shiiiiiit......I clear over $60K with a high school diploma
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I could see myself enjoying medieval Spanish poetry.
View Quote
“Love opened a mortal wound.
In agony, I worked the blade
to make it deeper. Please,
I begged, let death come quick.
Wild, distracted, sick,
I counted, counted
all the ways love hurt me.
One life, I thought— a thousand deaths.
Blow after blow, my heart
couldn't survive this beating.
Then—how can I explain it?—
I came to my senses. I said,
Why do I suffer? What lover
ever had so much pleasure”

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You need a PhD or experience to get a GS11 federal job.
GS11 starts at $53k.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202299/Screenshot_2019-01-21-17-52-12_png-816894.JPG
View Quote
Or someone straight out of college with a BS starts at a GS7. The next year that person is a GS9, and the following year a GS11.

BS plus 3 years of work or BS plus PhD. Your choice.

The harsh truth is that in the federal government a PhD doesn't mean anything.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have known a couple GS employees with PhD's but they were in the 13-15 range. None were required for the positions and were obtained as personal goals or as resume enhancers to compete for future positions.
View Quote
The positions for which my interviews were cancelled due to the shutdown start at GS12 and require a PhD.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This. Obviously not an MD. Or a Dentist, engineer, economist, etc.

Pointless Ph.D = pointless job
View Quote
My wife works in Aerospace with a PhD in Physics and wasn't making much more than this post referenced after she gained it. Engineers with bachelor's and a few years experience were doing better. She regrets it but is finally making decent coin as a manager of other extremely difficult and self-entitled scientists.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I will say this.. every PhD that I know personally is a freaking idiot

Their parents who have sacrificed their own financial well being/retirement to pay for the degree is the original idiot
View Quote
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that more people you know might have a PhD than you may realize: not everyone wears their degrees on their sleeve.

I don't have a degree of any kind but I know a few people who don't broadcast the little letters after their name and nobody would know.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Learn a trade, work OT.
Retire very comfy...at 56.
View Quote
Skilled trades and OT can be a early retirement
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The positions for which my interviews were cancelled due to the shutdown start at GS12 and require a PhD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So did mine back when I interviewed. I have no such degree.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
And when you start working there, you'll quickly notice that a lot of your coworkers only have a BS.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You need a PhD or experience to get a GS11 federal job.
GS11 starts at $53k.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202299/Screenshot_2019-01-21-17-52-12_png-816894.JPG
View Quote
Quoted:

GS-11's neither possess nor require PhD's regardless of what OPM thinks.
View Quote
True and funny story
A buddy of mine is an attorney with SSA in DC. He was tired of his job and wanted to cross he street to a different federal agency. So he goes to a hire a thon. The ladies asked him what level of education he had. He said, "I'm an attorney. I have a JD." The said, "Oh honey we can't hire you. We need more than a GED."

May the shut down continue forever.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Lol

I made 45k in 1985 as a full time carpenter and part time air freight ops dock monkey with 128 credits and no degree. I had paid off my 7k in student loan debt
one year prior at the age of 24.

Phd.  schlubb sounds like a case of working too 'smart' and not harder.

They could probably get out of the financial ditch they have dug in several years if they
picked up a hammer, then found a second night job and started putting in 70 to 80
honest hours of productive work each week, instead of assuaging their ego by
just working jobs they feel are equal to their station in life as an 'educated' person.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Were they doing research (getting published)?

Just curious if the agencies were DoD?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

True and funny story
A buddy of mine is an attorney with SSA in DC. He was tired of his job and wanted to cross he street to a different federal agency. So he goes to a a hire a thon. The ladies asked him what level of education he had. He said, "I'm an attorney I have a JD." The said, "Oh honey we can't hire you. We need more than a GED."

May the shut down continue forever.
View Quote
That is what happens when you hire HR flunkies without master's degrees.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I retired from the Army as an E-7 (11B40) with 24 years.  I had used my GI Bill to get my M S and then was a teacher (U S Constitution) and wrestling coach for 21 years.  Arizona allows state retirees to take military time ti teaching time so I retired with 32 years teaching.  Add to Social Security I have a monthly income in excess of $60K. Plus Tri-Care for 000 cost.  My wife has the same so our income retired is is slightly above our income working.  To get it I just had to live through some pretty rough deployments. (Most of which I volunteered for).
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
lol

It depends entirely on the field and the quality of the university the PhD is from.  A PhD by itself doesn't mean much at all.

If you have a PhD in medieval Spanish poetry from a shitty university, then a $56K job would be an impressive accomplishment.

If you have a PhD in finance from a well-ranked R1 university, then a $56K job would to a pathetic failure.
View Quote
The anecdotal idiot savant aside, you'd think this would be obvious, particularly to someone spending a good portion of their time learning.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Double tap browser burp
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If the first words out of your mouth are "cis hereronormative"........
View Quote
Bingo. Here resides the problem.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were not in research fields but a few wrote articles and such in their respective areas.

The point is that every hiring announcement out there is published with completely unrealistic education requirements relative to the position. Public sector jobs are not filled with advanced degree holders, period.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#30]
It never ceases to amaze me how many people drown in bewildered amazement when they enter the professional world after graduation.

I've seen countless young lawyers who learned the hard way that just because you have a bachelors degree and a law degree - you still have to work for a living.

I guess they expected people to starting throwing money at them once they graduated and started wearing a suit.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Skilled trades and OT can be a early retirement
View Quote
Achievement unlocked.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#33]
My experience is that most of my friends who have PHD's already have made many friends in the field who have guided them and/or are driven by a love for the subject.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Getting rejected by top PhD programs in my field (philosophy) was probably the best thing that ever happened to me both personally and professionally.  I applied 3 separate times to about 20 schools. The acceptance rates were between 1-3%, and then years of toil in low-paying jobs which may or may not get you tenure.  I was devastated at the time because I really wanted to teach philosophy--I truly loved it.  Now, I am doing better than I could have ever dreamed of doing, and my job is still somewhat philosophically interesting. I might still teach philosophy at a community college to give me something to do when I retire.  There are plenty of PhD programs which are way less rigorous, and have way higher acceptance rates.  Hell, if you have the money, just about anyone can get a PhD in something at an accredited college.

If you earn a PhD and you're "underpaid", it's because your job isn't worth more than what you're getting paid.  PhDs don't automatically qualify you for a certain salary, just as BA degrees don't.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I used it as an example because I actually knew someone who got a PhD in that.  We were in the same kendo club.

Now, IF someone can get a tenure-track job at a good university, and can perform well in Academia, then a PhD like that can still be a ticket to a sweet gravy train.  But if that plan doesn't work, people with PhDs like that are fucked.  They will never earn back the NPV of the lost income their time in grad school cost them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

I could see myself enjoying medieval Spanish poetry.
I used it as an example because I actually knew someone who got a PhD in that.  We were in the same kendo club.

Now, IF someone can get a tenure-track job at a good university, and can perform well in Academia, then a PhD like that can still be a ticket to a sweet gravy train.  But if that plan doesn't work, people with PhDs like that are fucked.  They will never earn back the NPV of the lost income their time in grad school cost them.
That's why the first PhD in my family was my daughter.  I had to end my plans for grad school and enter the workforce when we got pregnant with her.  Later, when things were stable financially and I did some quick calculating, I realized there was no way that I was going to make up for all the lost income and tuition costs if I went back to school.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Two of the PhD's I went to school with lament on Facebook about being over educated and under employed. The next ten posts are them hawking some stay at home Mom skin cream and weight loss crap (their husbands make good money in trades and they never talk about who's bringing home the money).

Small sample size, but the post in the OP reminded me of them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a masters degree, make 65k, and only work 187 days a year.
I enjoy what I do, but the salary is pretty fixed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#38]
aquarist/kwerst/
noun
a person who keeps an aquarium

Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Not uncommon. Back when I was in higher Ed we hired a recent Harvard PhD at 55k. I even asked her how she intended to pay what I had to imagine were some very significant student loans. She just smiled and told me her wealthy parents covered everything lol.

A few months later she enters my office and proclaims she's  never dating another Jewish man, herself being Jewish of course and proceeds to invite me to an all expense paid trip the Dominican Republic. She had just broke off her engagement and the trip was nonrefundable. And yes she was very cute.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#40]
I decoded the OP post.

She gets $40/week (== once a week)  to feed and care for the fish at houses with fancy aquariums.  This takes half an hour/house.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#41]
In some fields, having a PhD can actually be a hinderance to gainful employment.  Some employers have the idea that people with a PhD just want to do research and not actually produce, so they're less likely to get hired than someone with a 'lesser' degree.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not uncommon. Back when I was in higher Ed we hired a recent Harvard PhD at 55k. I even asked her how she intended to pay what I had to imagine were some very significant student loans. She just smiled and told me her wealthy parents covered everything lol.

A few months later she enters my office and proclaims she's  never dating another Jewish man, herself being Jewish of course and proceeds to invite me to an all expense paid trip the Dominican Republic. She had just broke off her engagement and the trip was nonrefundable. And yes she was very cute.
View Quote
Have you ever read a book that just suddenly ends without clearing things up?

You just cliff-hangared GD.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Several year ago Mad magazine did a if you can A you’re a genius, but if you expect B you’re an idiot

THE classic example I believe is:
If you can earn a PhD in Pythagorean Astronomy in 3 years you’re a genius.
IF you think you can earn a living other than flipping burgers with it you’re an idiot.

I once saw a book on Satanism written by someone with a PhD in witchcraft.  How well it sold I don’t know.
If you can earn a living with an esoteric PhD more power to you.

In the Real World, don’t bet on it.
View Quote
Honestly, you could pimp the shit out of the second degree.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They could probably get out of the financial ditch they have dug in several years if they
picked up a hammer, then found a second night job and started putting in 70 to 80
honest hours of productive work each week, instead of assuaging their ego by
just working jobs they feel are equal to their station in life as an 'educated' person.
View Quote
70-80 hours is common for grad students.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I will say this.. every PhD that I know personally is a freaking idiot

Their parents who have sacrificed their own financial well being/retirement to pay for the degree is the original idiot
View Quote
You don't pay for a PhD. You get paid to get one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#46]
I have heard only dumbasses get PhDs, and you have to be rich to afford one or else you go $200k in debt to pay for grad school.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#47]
PhD is not a ticket to being rich by any means. PhD in physics, chemistry, biochem, or bio will land you a job starting at $70-90k. Unless it's engineering. I've heard of people with engineering PhDs getting offered $170k starting.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have heard only dumbasses get PhDs, and you have to be rich to afford one or else you go $200k in debt to pay for grad school.
View Quote
You do know the university pays you to get a PhD?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to disappoint, but I had to decline. I had met my wife about 3 or 4 months prior. Had I been single the response would have been different. I know, totally lame ending.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
To me personally, the ONLY real "need" for a Ph.D. is if you intend to work in research academia - or in other advanced research fields, such as medicine, biology, pharmacy, etc.

Otherwise, I really do not see the point.  Quite frankly, there really is NO REASON that university teaching positions should require a Ph.D.  Teaching at the university level is not necessarily any more difficult or demanding that teaching in high school. I don't see what a PhD adds to that at all.
View Quote
Jesus man! Don't say that at work or they'll burn you on the cross.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top