BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You do know the university pays you to get a PhD?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have heard only dumbasses get PhDs, and you have to be rich to afford one or else you go $200k in debt to pay for grad school.
Unpossible. I heard it here in GD
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
And the guy that pumps my septic tank makes 200k.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/273091/LeonIV_CollegeDegree2_jpg-816895.JPG
View Quote
I have a good friend who’s dad owns a septic pumping company. Dude is a multimillionaire.

My BIL just received a PhD in molecular Biology. He might be able to do something with it, but we highly doubt it for the simple fact that he has the personality of a fucking paper clip.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why do you plan on sending 3 kids to college?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, bigly.

I'm on my second career now. Plan on paying off my 3/4 million dollar house next year. I'm 48.

I have a HS diploma and a pension. Full medical for my wife and I for life, kids until they're 26. I plan on being completely done in another 3 or maybe 4 years, and will be able to pay for my 3 kids' college as well. No student loans.

I drive a new BMW and my wife drives a Range Rover. I also own a newish F150, just because.

Shove your PhD up your ass.
Why do you plan on sending 3 kids to college?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I have several guys with graduate degrees who work for me, and they are pretty dumb.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have heard only dumbasses get PhDs, and you have to be rich to afford one or else you go $200k in debt to pay for grad school.
Good point, GD does know all...
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And when you start working there, you'll quickly notice that a lot of your coworkers only have a BS.
View Quote
Except that a bunch of my friends work there, and no one there has less than a PhD.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like post doc pay.

Your pay can vary a lot post-PhD depending on what your career choice is.

Right out of PhD, I think as low as $40K, maybe as high as $400K, based on what I've seen.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I made substantially less than that, briefly, and I have a PhD in chemistry.  Of course, I took the job because it would lead to a career in something I live, which it has.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#10]
$56,000 salary with a PD.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had to look up what an "aquarist" is.  It is a person to tends to aquariums (professionally).
View Quote
Yes and you can make shitpiles of money doing it if you build up a good list of clients.

While doing electrical work at an office build out downtown I was bullshitting with one of the guys there that was installing an aquarium in the office waiting room.  He would make about 5-700 dollars a day but he'd only work 1-3 days a week on average, and not by choice.  Some weeks no work at all.

The big upside is the cost of running the business is very low, relatively speaking.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You need a PhD or experience to get a GS11 federal job.
GS11 starts at $53k.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202299/Screenshot_2019-01-21-17-52-12_png-816894.JPG
View Quote
Ways around that, there are 14's with no phd.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Learn a trade, work OT.
Retire very comfy...at 56.
View Quote
I agree with the first two. Dunno about the third though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I have several friends from my military service who left after 6 years and went into underwater welding.

Those dudes are already retired, and they were making north of $300k a year.

Not too shabby for a High School diploma.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I know that a lot of state wildlife management jobs required a masters and only paid in the mid $30’s a couple of years back.
View Quote
Tell me about it.

After high school, I was interested in becoming some type of state or fed biologist.  Thought it would be an amazing career path that would take me to a bunch of beautiful locations, with all the perks and bennies that a .gov career would offer.

Turns out the education level they demanded for the amount of pay offered is seriously out of wack.  Even as a dumb kid I knew that a bachelors degree should get me more than seasonal work that makes barely above minimum wage.  My Aunt's wife (yes, you read that right) has her masters in Forestry, and can only get work 8 months out of the year.  Works at home depot in the off season to make ends meet.

I respect the career path, if it's a calling.  If it's not, be prepared for a life of food service hair nets, aprons and name tags.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If we would allow student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy, we would see a lot less of these pointless degrees. No one would loan money for a woman's studies degree or a gender studies degree if there was a risk of losing your loaned money in bankruptcy.
View Quote
That's not the problem. The problem is that they are government backed. The bank is going to get its money one way or another.

Remove the government backing (and it's laws), the loans are bankruptible and the banks will greatly reduce the loans to real degree fields.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I really wanted to be a forest ranger (the tree/animal guy, not the 'cleaning up the trails' ranger) for quite a while until I learned how little they make and how few jobs there really were. Would have been great and kudos to those that are doing it, but at the time there'd no way I'd have been happy with the money.  The job would have been great though.

This chick in the OP?  She could have a Phd in chemistry - i know a few that started out with real shit salaries and for the most part, the pay scales don't skyrocket out of the park.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm a chemist (MS) and working in biotech so know a bunch of PhDs. Even in the sciences I know many that are struggling/have struggled particularly if they really want to stay in teaching/academic research. Tenure track faculty positions are rough to find and many languish in non-tract lecturer positions. The degree is certainly not a ticket to stardom, still need to put in the right kind of effort and have a decent personality to put the degree to work.
View Quote
This brings to mind the old saying, “ It isn’t who you know, it is who you blow.”
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This, bigly.

I'm on my second career now. Plan on paying off my 3/4 million dollar house next year. I'm 48.

I have a HS diploma and a pension. Full medical for my wife and I for life, kids until they're 26. I plan on being completely done in another 3 or maybe 4 years, and will be able to pay for my 3 kids' college as well. No student loans.

I drive a new BMW and my wife drives a Range Rover. I also own a newish F150, just because.

View Quote
I agree with the sentiment, dude.  The trades need to be respected as a viable career path again.  It's a shame they are disrespected in academia.

That being said, I'm going to have to take all of your grandiose claims with a huge fucking grain of salt.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I make that with a screwdriver in my hand.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

70-80 hours is common for grad students.
View Quote
No shit..and what do they produce and how well are they compensated

see DK's above statement about NPV deficit, investment to payout doesn't ultimately occur or begins too late in the time stream to be soundly  beneficial

I was just saying they, like many need to stop whining and apply themselves productively...status be damned
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I used it as an example because I actually knew someone who got a PhD in that.  We were in the same kendo club.

Now, IF someone can get a tenure-track job at a good university, and can perform well in Academia, then a PhD like that can still be a ticket to a sweet gravy train.  But if that plan doesn't work, people with PhDs like that are fucked.  They will never earn back the NPV of the lost income their time in grad school cost them.
View Quote
Dont lie. We know thats YOUR degree.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a masters degree, make 65k, and only work 187 days a year.
I enjoy what I do, but the salary is pretty fixed.
View Quote
Do you teach high school or middle school?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#25]
With a tech school diploma I worked a stint in a university research facility. Was interesting going from my normal private industry environment to a publicly funded one. Worked with and around a lot of PHd's.  Some were tenured, some not.  The highest paid tended to be lifeless, humorless and cutthroat types, even with the security of tenure. Not all. A few, I'd call 'good old boys with sheepskins". These were usually ones that were just naturally smarter than the common pool and did not have to fight for a place at the carcass. In what I called the "shark pool" were the cutthroat types, with the back stabbing and purse swinging drama all the time. I found one thing is this group to be humorous.  It was apparently and insult from the higher education circles. One of them  would throw the insult: "He was obviously educated beyond his intelligence."  The other hens in his cliche would haughtily chortle along. Funny thing  was that they all used the same insult behind each other's backs. Another tell for this group was how often they spurted the word "homogeneity" in normal conversation. A $10 word they all wore like badges.

I recall one guy that I actually liked. He was working his way up. Young family guy. Salt of the earth type. Found out the guy was doing party clown gigs in his spare time to make ends meet and my tech ass was making about the same money as he was.  Not knocking the good man for doing what he had to do to keep his family floating above his school debt, but I assumed that that level of education in the discipline of  chemistry would be more cushy.   He was hard working. I recall telling him that he would more than likely make a lot more money in the private sector with his work ethic and credentials, but "tenure" was his programmed holy word.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I will say this.. every PhD that I know personally is a freaking idiot

Their parents who have sacrificed their own financial well being/retirement to pay for the degree is the original idiot
View Quote
You need to know better Phd's.

Granted, all the ones I know are MD's AND Phd's.....
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Trade school for the win.

Most people I know with an MBA are trying to sell me something.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will say this.. every PhD that I know personally is a freaking idiot

Their parents who have sacrificed their own financial well being/retirement to pay for the degree is the original idiot

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File
View Quote
His degree in advanced Shit Pumping and Hauling was worth the expense & time! Good for him ...
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#30]
It's all field dependent, really. It's not exactly a secret that faculty in the humanities don't make much.

Get a PhD in a field with external opportunities, and the academics are actually sacrificing money to stay in academia. The benefits of academia, however, are huge in non-financial compensation.

Turns out, labor markets matter, no matter how long you went to school.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:35:47 PM EDT
[#31]
you: Hi. I'm very smart, but I don't know how to do anything.

me: Where did you get your PH.D.?

you: I didn't say I have a PH.D.

me: You kinda did.

Roy
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Most people ought to go to a community college.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Two famous PhD's

Isaac Asimov
It's safe to say that most here have at least heard of him if not had read one or more of his books.  He used his PhD successfully.
He was well known and respected.

And then there is that bigot who wrote The Turner Diaries.
I may be in error, but I believe it is safe to say that William Luther Pierce did not have a comfortable conversation with God when he died.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Piss poor prior planning on her part. Even some engineers with PhD's are complete fucking idiots unless it pertains to their minute specialty. A good friend got his in Astro Physics. How many jobs are there for people brilliant in calculating Red Shift? He works tech support. I've got piles of paper and only one of my degrees pertains to my current career. It wasn't even that important for my job.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:49:57 PM EDT
[#35]
You forgot Woodrow Wilson.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
WTF is "Cis Heteronormative"?
View Quote
If you borrow your way into poverty to get a BS degree and willingly cut your own dick off they give you the Rosetta Stone for words like that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
One of the trans people posts a lot on my towns facebook page. She wanted to let everyone know student loan debt is the reason many young people cannot afford mortgages. Her little friend chimed in with this comment. She has a PhD but it took her six years to find a salary job. She is just starting to save money for retirement at age 42. She's grossly underpaid at $56k a year in Massachusetts with a PhD. This other chick makes $80/hr as an aquarist?? These people are fucking bonkers.

https://i.ibb.co/g9jjCQC/20190121-192841.jpg
View Quote
"Aquarists earn an average of $19,970 per year, with the highest 10% earning around $32,500 and the lowest 10% earning around $16,490. Most aquarists employed at private aquariums, though others may work for non-profits or state facilities."
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This, bigly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learn a trade, work OT.
Retire very comfy...at 56.
This, bigly.

I don't know why you'd be so angry about the whole thing when it sounds like your choice has worked out quite well for you.

Retiring at ~52 with a pension and "full healthcare for life" puts you far out at the upper limit of the bell curve compared to where most skilled labor folks will be at 51.  Same as this dolt in the article with a PhD making $50k is at the bottom end of the bell curve.

The real problem here is people with worthless degrees or no motivation/work ethic.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
To me personally, the ONLY real "need" for a Ph.D. is if you intend to work in research academia - or in other advanced research fields, such as medicine, biology, pharmacy, etc.

Otherwise, I really do not see the point.  Quite frankly, there really is NO REASON that university teaching positions should require a Ph.D.  Teaching at the university level is not necessarily any more difficult or demanding that teaching in high school. I don't see what a PhD adds to that at all.
View Quote
I think a PHD can add something to teaching (if the one teaching is engaged in research). I can see the attraction that students are being taught by people who are doing high-impact research. writing proposals. I remember in a quantum class the professor had a section on 'how to create a bose-einstein condensate' - and his research was actually on bose-einstein condensates. I can also imagine that it is good to force a researcher who is somewhat in the weeds of the research to think more broadly and focus on the basics of the subject.

I very much agree that someone shouldn't get a PhD unless they really want to do research academia or be in a research environment where they want to be a PI ad get grants. I know lots of PhD's who were offered 50k or less for postdoc positions (in science). It looks like the modal salary for postdocs is in the lower 50s. It's basically a vow of poverty, chastity, and separation from the world.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/273091/LeonIV_CollegeDegree2_jpg-816895.JPG
View Quote
Pretty much. I have an AAS, cost me ~$16k, 2 years and 3 months of school. Started work a month ago for, with some OT, a bit over $100k (before taxes of course )

4 year + degrees aren't worth shit for the vast majority of people.....but I'm not gonna complain too much, too many people going to college is why the trades make so much now
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Any field that is worth a damn PAYS you to go to grad school.  Of course, the stipend is far less than you could earn starting out with the BS, and you generally won't come out ahead financially considering 5 to 6 years of raises.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#42]
misfire
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:27:17 AM EDT
[#43]
I came very close to hitting 90k
I have a good enough diploma but I always wanted a PhD so I can look down my nose at people for shit pay.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#44]
"...cis heteronormative" lol

oookkkkaayyyy. The shit these lunatics come up with.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:33:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember that thread.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#46]
I started out of college with a bachelors making more than that. Years later, I’m doing just fine.

Let me guess, Useless phd.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:36:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Getting PhD is a risky endeavor in most fields, and most people don't finish. In my field $50-$70 thousand seems to be the starting range depending on the institution. That means getting into massive debt is dumb, and is why most programs have funding options.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Her current job may not have anything to do with her PhD.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:14:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That's not the problem. The problem is that they are government backed. The bank is going to get its money one way or another.

Remove the government backing (and it's laws), the loans are bankruptible and the banks will greatly reduce the loans to real degree fields.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If we would allow student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy, we would see a lot less of these pointless degrees. No one would loan money for a woman's studies degree or a gender studies degree if there was a risk of losing your loaned money in bankruptcy.

I'm good with that.  The government doesn't allow them to be discharged in bankruptcy just like taxes can't be discharged via bankruptcy because the government wants their money.  Change the laws on funding of higher education and all these stupid, pointless degrees go away.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have a good friend who’s dad owns a septic pumping company. Dude is a multimillionaire.

My BIL just received a PhD in molecular Biology. He might be able to do something with it, but we highly doubt it for the simple fact that he has the personality of a fucking paper clip.
View Quote
I understand you find him boring, but what does his personality have to do with him being able to make money?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top