Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 3:46:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So besides there being characters that aren’t white, what’s the problem?
View Quote

I don't really care about that. I do care that I'm seeing a female dwarf that looks like a female human. They clearly have access to the appendices, so what the hell? Female dwarves look exactly like male dwarves. Only dwarves can tell them apart.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 5:26:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Gonna fail and they will question why.
View Quote

WHITE MALE RASSISSES!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The worst of these efforts are run by people who have absorbed this way of destroying things yet who truly believe they aren't. Self-deceived deceivers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The worst of these efforts are run by people who have absorbed this way of destroying things yet who truly believe they aren't. Self-deceived deceivers.

That's Wheel of Time in a nutshell. The showrunner is a self proclaimed super fan who grew up loving WoT. So what does he do when he gets his chance to put it on screen? He changes everything.

Quoted:
TBH, I barely remember anything about it other than…

Click To View Spoiler

It's not good. I will say that the girl from Pan's Labyrinth turned out to be really good looking.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

TBH, I barely remember anything about it other than

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
2nd season was basically an entirely separate story.  Not as good, but watchable.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's Wheel of Time in a nutshell. The showrunner is a self proclaimed super fan who grew up loving WoT. So what does he do when he gets his chance to put it on screen? He changes everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess rafe could describe himself as a superfan, but he's not. In order to even be a fan, you have to like the thing, as it is.

These people doing these things are "fans" in the same way some girls "love" a dude but want to change virtually everything about him.

They're fans of the ideas they have, not of what was made.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't get why anyone cares. They're actors... my guess is they aren't really elves or dwarves either.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't get why anyone cares. They're actors... my guess is they aren't really elves or dwarves either.
View Quote

It's okay. The culture war isn't for everybody.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://archive.org/details/the-hobbit-bluefax

https://archive.org/details/3-bd-5705-ec-76666122-e-5-bcbc-89-f-591-b-2-c-620-aaefe

They really are quite good, not remotely like the weird nerd/geek culture that's grown up around them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll give it a fair opportunity to impress me.

If it's woke garbage I'm not going to watch it. With inflation, the economy in the shitter, and the elites seemingly Hell bent to take us into the next global conflict the last thing I need is for some television series that is trying to make me feel bad because of the color of my skin and preaching to me.  Propaganda is not entertaining and it's especially not entertaining when it's purpose is to degrade or belittle me.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If it's woke garbage I'm not going to watch it. With inflation, the economy in the shitter, and the elites seemingly Hell bent to take us into the next global conflict the last thing I need is for some television series that is trying to make me feel bad because of the color of my skin and preaching to me.  Propaganda is not entertaining and it's especially not entertaining when it's purpose is to degrade or belittle me.  

View Quote

I could care less of the color of the actors playing the characters as they are all fictional. It's not like having a black guy play Ronald Regan or a white guy playing Thurgood Marshall during a documentary.

Anyway, as stated above, it all depends on the writing. If it is woke then I will not watch. If entertaining and somewhat along the original story line, I will follow as time allows.

Your points on propaganda are spot on.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyway, as stated above, it all depends on the writing. If it is woke then I will not watch. If entertaining and somewhat along the original story line, I will follow as time allows.
View Quote

It's all the same wallet.  The woke stuff is the mission, the legit stuff keeps the lights on.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I will pass on a diverse cast.  No rewarding the Hollywood jerkoffs for trying to brainwash America coc 1 -justsayin

Reminds me of a few years ago when I think it was HBO that put out a series about Troy and half the cast were  coc 1 -justsayin
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I could care less of the color of the actors playing the characters as they are all fictional. It's not like having a black guy play Ronald Regan or a white guy playing Thurgood Marshall during a documentary.

I don't care about diverse casts when it makes sense. Tolkien's world is well established and his description of his Middle Earth is detailed. I don't have issues with a black elf since it would make sense for a surface elf to be darker, even if it's not in Tolkien's world. What doesn't make sense is for a Dwarf to be dark skinned. Not to mention that they didn't even give her a beard, which goes to show how much effort they are putting into being faithful to the written word.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't care about diverse casts when it makes sense. Tolkien's world is well established and his description of his Middle Earth is detailed. I don't have issues with a black elf since it would make sense for a surface elf to be darker, even if it's not in Tolkien's world. What doesn't make sense is for a Dwarf to be dark skinned. Not to mention that they didn't even give her a beard, which goes to show how much effort they are putting into being faithful to the written word.
View Quote

I certainly understand your point, but do not agree. I am not a huge fan of fiction, so I would not view the series through the same prism as yourself.

Today's politics would have made a remake in the style of the original LOR trilogy near impossible.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's pretty much where I fall.  I'll give it a chance, and if it's entertaining I'll watch it.  I'm not emotionally invested in the world it's set in.  The Tom Cruise Jack Reacher movies were entertaining, but he's not Reacher from the books.  The Wheel of Time series is entertaining enough to watch, but it's a pale shadow of the books.  You can go back and find outraged fans when Peter Dinklage was cast as Tyrion (he's way too good looking to play the actual book character), but he was phenomenal.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 4:20:25 AM EDT
[#17]
You can’t make this shit up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 4:32:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not to mention that they didn't even give her a beard, which goes to show how much effort they are putting into being faithful to the written word.
View Quote

For the Naugrim have beards from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 4:33:16 AM EDT
[#19]
How to destroy a popular IP (intellectual property);  (stolen from the Critical Drinker)

1.  Choose a popular IP with a loyal fan base (LOTR, He Man/Masters of the Universe, Cowboy BeBop, etc.)
2.  Totally fuck it up and re-write it for "modern audiences" and "modern sensibilities/values"
3.  Antagonize, mock, and ignore the fan-base's rightful criticism of #2 prior to release
4.  Series/show gets canceled due to awful ratings because nobody wants to now watch the shit it has been transformed into...
5.  Unironically blame the fans for #1-#4

It's kind of sad to see the same shit repeated over and over again.

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#20]

That's because Reddit is full of ironic leftist idiots that often run the show, and in this case they probably got paid.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 5:21:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's because Reddit is full of ironic leftist idiots that often run the show, and in this case they probably got paid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Without a doubt.

The idea that a Reddit for just LOTR memes would ban ALL memes that so much as vaguely reference the only LOTR tv series ever made is beyond obvious and hilariously absurd.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 6:26:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lawd of da Rangz !!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If we go by what the guy who actually created that world wrote then something like this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/CED7DF16-207A-4A79-ACDC-C74736034DA4_jpe-2278347.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#24]

"Fun vill kommence ven ve ausorize eet!"
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gonna fail and they will question why.
View Quote

Wrong.  They are already prepared for 'why'.  Because you're a racist is 'why'.  The show is just another opportunity to tell you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Tolkien himself and ‘Lord of the Rings’ fans SMEARED using ‘Star Wars’ and ‘Ghostbusters’ tactics!

Video discusses how amazon and fellow thinkers are using the old tried and (false) tactic of saying "no, you're bad for not liking what we do."
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Amazon put out several “super fans” videos. All the vids are basically the same just the “fans” are from different countries. In the UK video, as the fans walk onto one of the sets, a guy is seen taking leak against a wall.

Amazon PANIC! LOTR: The Rings of Power BACKLASH has Been a DISASTER and a Victory for Fandom
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

Just bumping this to highlight that dislike ratio. Still holding strong even when most people can't see others' votes.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 4:53:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Can someone show me exactly what a middle Earth elf looks like?
View Quote

In hollywood, anything that's right, productive, just, and moral is black.

It's like taking reality and doing the opposite.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don't really care about that. I do care that I'm seeing a female dwarf that looks like a female human. They clearly have access to the appendices, so what the hell? Female dwarves look exactly like male dwarves. Only dwarves can tell them apart.
View Quote
Same with the elves.  Set skin color aside.  Elves have fair faces with delicate features.  They are not overly masculine which is why Orlando Bloom was perfect.  The guy they cast has the opposite face.  Prominent brow, wide chin, very masculine.  

Attachment Attached File

Now, if they had cast Hanna John-Kamen, I would have no complaints.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Middle Earth 90210
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Ratio update!

Attachment Attached File

(They're also still deleting comments.)
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ratio update!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/2022-04-05_16-57-11_jpg-2338840.JPG

(They're also still deleting comments.)
View Quote

22 thousand known of as of ... I think a couple of weeks ago.

The unlisted UK superfans one is still getting ratioed badly too.

The Lord Of The Rings Superfans Review The Rings Of Power Official Teaser Trailer
Unlisted
Feb 16, 2022

192 (upvotes)

18K (downvotes)
Save
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APQuy_mB1dw

... and the last comment is from 17 hours ago. People are still finding it and pummeling it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow, amazon and YT must think we are idiots.

The dislike counter on the trailer went from 1.8 mill negative to 1.1 mill negatives.

The flailing is epic to watch.

ETA: and removed another ~ 8000 comments.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Do they not see how shitty the Wheel of Time abomination turned out?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They should make a WWII TV series and make Hitler black.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#39]
When does the new series premiere?

I eagerly anticipate not watching it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What did you think of the last terminator movie?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New trailer just came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCLoZI-FOYA

Terminator 2?  Loved it.  Robert Patrick was awesome.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Here's my theory on how this shit happens.

Executive: I like money.  LOTR made money.  Give me that.

Writers: But what about my show?  

Marketing: There is no market for Gay Cowboy Pudding Fiesta Time.  

Writers: Fine.  But now Legolas is gay, likes pudding, and hangs out with the two guys from Brokeback Mountain.  

Executives: Brilliant!  We'll get the LOTR fans, the gay cowboy pudding fans, and Twatter will love us!

Fans: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#42]
I think we need to remake Zulu and Zulu Dawn with a bunch of hillbilly rednecks as the Zulus!
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Lawd of da Rangz !!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Middle Earth 90210
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I have zero interest in this woke garbage.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Ironically, this would be the one place where Hollywood could have cast a hairy bearded transgender dude as a "female", and totally get away with it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Black folks - "yeah, you can leave us out of this one. Go ahead and make them all white."
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
New trailer just came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCLoZI-FOYA

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Amazon PANICS! Deletes LOTR Fans | Rings of Power RATIOED with 1.8 Million DISLIKES?

Nearly 1,000,000 DISLIKES VANISH from The Rings of Power: Lord of the Rings Trailer!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top