Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
DISRUPTING TOLKIEN: Creatives from fan-rejected STAR TREK DISCOVERY, DOCTOR WHO, & WHEEL OF TIME

So ... imdb page for the rings of power

Tolkein not even credited in multiple episodes (translation, wholly made up)

-----

New writers brought in.

One who wrote on toy story 4.

One from star wars resistance.

One who wrote on the new hawaii five 0.

One who wrote for star trek discovery. A story editor, meaning not just one story but a bunch. For multiple STD seasons.

One who wrote for doctor who and amazon's "wheel of time."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7631058/
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-I10wn8oh8

-----

New writers brought in.

One who wrote for star trek discovery. A story editor, meaning not just one story but a bunch. For multiple STD seasons.

View Quote

This right there should be all anyone needs to know.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No beard, no want.

Witcher did it better
View Quote

You mean "Woker". Same shit, only the writer contradicted himself and got bought off by the crazies.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]

He was actually playing a Caucasian character.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-I10wn8oh8

-----

New writers brought in.

I'm not even remotely upset.

I am in full on pocorn watch the train wreck and try to guess how bad the wreck is going to be.

I wouldn't even watch the show if they paid me to.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Hollywood is dead.

Woke is all you get.

Conservatives and normal folk will still pay money for it.

There needs to be another town, another distribution network, and great talent that haven’t sold their bodies/souls to make good stories. Until then, the staleness and rot will continue in our culture, politics, society.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't get Hollywood "writing rooms."  All the great fantasy novels are created by one, maybe two authors.  You have lots of great authors still living like Feist, Sanderson, etc.  Why not hire one of them to do scripts?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:27:35 AM EDT
[#8]
This show is going to be flaming garbage. I hope it fails miserably and I hope it costs them piles of money.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#9]
By all reports, this show would suck ass even if they had real  Eldar playing elves and Naugrim playing dwarves.  

Aulë and Illúvatar couldn’t save this mess.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Lord Of The Rings Trailer Hits 3 MILLION Dislikes! | DISASTER For Amazon's Rings Of Power Series
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Lord of the Rings.... Detroit Edition
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Amazon and all of hollyweird has one goal, and it is not entertainment.

Their goal is to indoctrinate the public, normalize degenerate and immoral behavior, and destroy the family unit, to replace the positive and educational functions of both family and religion with government.

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Their goal is to indoctrinate the public, normalize degenerate and immoral behavior, and destroy the family unit, to replace the positive and educational functions of both family and religion with government.

View Quote

Exactly. And they can't do it with franchises/ideas they create from scratch because no one will watch/read it (e.g. The New New Warriors comic) so they resort to taking over and bastardizing ones that are known or, they play a switcheroo on a known property that hasn't been exploited before to initially draw in people with good content before they start pushing THE MESSAGE.

The bastardization of Star Trek, Star Wars, and LOTR are good examples of that first tactic while shows like The Boys and Westworld are good examples of the latter.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I remember being baffled by the black vulcans in Star Trek 3

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#16]

WOW.

So now they've removed around 9 thousand MORE comments.

It has 110,903 likes

... and 3,100,178 dislikes.

For 29,250,220 views.

ETA: tack in the 700,000 or so dislikes they took out and its at 3.8 mill dislikes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That was a dumpster fire just like this will surely be.  Watched one episode and turned it off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same shit with Wheel of Diversity. Take something cool and flat out ruin it.

That was a dumpster fire just like this will surely be.  Watched one episode and turned it off.

I loved WoT so much, I actually stuck with it for the whole season.  It did not get better.  It was awful.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I loved WoT so much, I actually stuck with it for the whole season.  It did not get better.  It was awful.
View Quote

I hated WoT, so it was worth it for the smallest of “I told you so”, moments.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The poor Duerger population has always been plagued by crime and degeneracy.  
View Quote

Duergar.

But you still get a smile from me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dark elves are a thing in fictional lore. After all it's a fucking fantasy so let's not get carried away with the dramatics.

People get a boner (including me) over the 3 titty woman in total recal. No one really goes all die hard SHOW ME A 3 TITTY WOMAN!

Interestingly enough if the woke side looks up the lore of dark elves they might rewrite that as well.

"Dark elves are known for their aggression, deceit, and stealth. They are very brutal and cruel by nature, having little mercy when it comes to cheating, battling, or anything dealing with the life of another being. They have little respect for even their own kind, at times waging war against each other."

View Quote

I'd like to see a Drizzt film or series.
The books are so campy that I could probably play along with just about any SJW changes and not care that much.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. They are entrenched so they don’t have to chase the money as much. It is propaganda
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's not Tolkien.  It looks like a bad AD&D campaign put on screen.

Edited: And your question is entirely wrong.  The question should be "what's good about it?"  We read Tolkien because he is a good writer.  He wrote a good story.  Hollywood tries this strange thing where they tell us "Hey, this is going to be good because it is Tolkien."  But then they make not-Tolkien.  So that takes them down to square one.  Now they must persuade me that this is worth my time.  They haven't done that.
View Quote

This nails it.

"You have to buy it!"

No, you have to sell it to me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#24]
“Black all teh things!”
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Tolkien's legacy being shit on.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Tolkien's legacy being shit on.
View Quote

Well, at least his talentless grandkids made some money off of it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Amazon drops a new advert for ROP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4DkFSo48WI
O Senhor dos Anéis: Os Anéis de Poder | Prime Video | A Grande Descoberta

Stats on the video atm (4-30-22. 5:50 usa est)
135,633 views    Apr 26, 2022     3.4K (thumbs up)    15K(thumbs down)   2,310 Comments

Apparently not actors in the show, they spent big money and put ... I think brazilian soap stars saying generic stuff.

Google translation of the text in spoiler fold (Some of it is ... the translation is ... unintentionally funny)

Click To View Spoiler

Shill article from the disaster site:

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2022/04/27/113016-watch-the-high-concept-ad-for-the-rings-of-power-that-amazon-debuted-during-one-of-brazils-largest-annual-tv-events/

Commentary:

The Expensive New AMAZON RINGS OF POWER Marketing Plan THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO SEE

So. They aren't giving anyone any more footage.

I guess they didn't want to get their butts kicked again. But they are.  If you add up all the dislikes on the ROP video it should be above 4 million dislikes, and they have deleted more than half the comments on the video, and it's still massively ratioed at negative 1.5m (that they will admit and AFTER they have deleted millions of dislikes) with far less than even a million likes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Lol,

I hope it burns so hard, and is such a failure, that finally the producers in Hollywood finally realize that go woke go broke sends ripples to all investors for years.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:53:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ironically, this would be the one place where Hollywood could have cast a hairy bearded transgender dude as a "female", and totally get away with it.
View Quote

Yeah, that would actually be hilarious.  They are not that creative or inspired though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Amazon's Epic FAILURE! Enraging LOTR Fans is NOT A Good Thing for The Rings of Power
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah, that would actually be hilarious.  They are not that creative or inspired though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ironically, this would be the one place where Hollywood could have cast a hairy bearded transgender dude as a "female", and totally get away with it.

They won't do that though, because they are racist and bigoted against tolkien and anyone like him.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:24:19 PM EDT
[#32]
... And now amazon is buying off fan groups with ... what. Access? Who knows.

Everyone seems to have utterly forgotten what it is to "sell out" and why that sucks.

It's like clockwork and as predictable as the sun coming up in the east and setting in the west:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220430191025/https://fellowshipoffans.com/2022/04/30/why-the-second-age-aesthetically-tonally-will-feel-different-from-the-third-francesco-lionetti/

Why The Second- Age Aesthetically & Tonally Will Feel Different From the Third: Francesco Lionetti
April 30, 2022
TV Series

One of the biggest problems related to the acceptance of the Amazon project by the world fandom lies in the appearance that Middle-earth will have in the show. The teaser trailer of “The Rings of Power” and the photos by Vanity Fair have left many in a sense of bewilderment, due to some aesthetic elements that have deviated from the Peter Jackson Film trilogies, such as the presence of short-haired elves and primitive styled hobbits. Obviously you can’t judge a product based on a few photos and a one-minute teaser trailer, but the question arises: how will Middle-earth be presented in the series? Patrick McKay and J.D Payne have already amply answered this question in the interview with VF, declaring their intention to get very close to Jackson’s works, but at the same time to deviate from them. The presence of WETA within the project clearly indicates the desire to give visual continuity to the Jackson’s Arda, and we found this element in some scenes of the teaser, including the Lindon ceremony and the view of one of the ports of Numenor…

As anticipated by the showrunners there will also be a “new” feeling compared to what we saw in Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, and the reason for that is quite simple: the Second Age is a far cry from the Third, not only from a historical point of view, but also an aesthetic and cultural one. During the exploits of the Fellowship of the Ring we were projected into an era of great decadence, in which Middle-earth is consumed by the evil of Sauron and the weakness of free peoples, increasingly alone in the face of the Dark Lord’s reprisals. The Second Age, on the other hand, is a much more flourishing period, rich in grandiose realms, including Lindon, Eregion and, above all, Numenor. The mighty kingdom of blessed men has greatly shaped the political geography and history of Middle-earth, through wars, alliances and various trade routes, bringing its immense civilization to the whole world. In Jackson’s films we have not had the opportunity to admire, obviously for temporal reasons, this magnificent side of history, which we will instead be able to touch on the show.

The wonder of the elven realms will be a decidedly more impactful aspect than the cinematic trilogies, given the presence of places and characters that we could never have admired in the Third Age. Lindon and Ost- in- Edhil are only very distant memories during the reign of Elessar, while in the Second Age they represented an essence of great beauty, power and magic. It is also not entirely true that elves all had long hair. This stylistic choice was brought exclusively by Peter Jackson in his films, but several images by the greatest Tolkienian illustrators show many elves with short hair. Furthermore, the “professor” never says that the Eldar all had long hair, so it is time to dispel this annoying myth.The controversial theme of hobbits will be debated for a long time, but we are focusing on the aesthetic sector, and that the Harfoots were decidedly more primitive in appearance and in customs is absolutely consistent. The halflings appeared in the films represent the “final phase” of the evolution of their species, and everything coincides perfectly with the descriptions given in the writings.

Another very important factor lies in the exploration of places and lands never seen in Jackson’s films, an element that could stun general fans who don’t know the writings. In fact, in the show we will have stories from Harad and Rhun, lands inspired by the Middle East and North Africa, and which obviously feature characters with a darker complexion than other races of Middle-earth. The Lossoths shown in the teaser trailer are the Eskimos of Arda, and represent another people never shown in the films of the past. Tolkien’s world is not only made up of Elves, men of the west and Rohirrim, and it is necessary to understand that there are other peoples that the transpositions have never explored, and the hope is that they can be admired in their full coherence.
View Quote

No, you dingbats. People aren't accepting it because bezos said he wanted a GOT for amazon, because amazon utterly ruined the wheel of time, and because the few bits of content we've seen don't show the slightest of meaningful adaptation of even the appendix notes they are "based on" ... the behavior of amazon and YT and the hollywood mouthpieces are just amplifying that amazon is going to completely and hatefully deconstruct what few tiny shreds of tolkien's works they use.

Again. Everyone has forgotten what being a sellout is, and why it's bad, and people nowadays in general WANT to sell out and seek that. Been watching people sellout for decades. It virtually always looks the same at the start. Theoretically "tiny" compromises at the start, and somewhere down the road, you fall off a cliff.  I hope if they travel the road they ask for full retirement and a corner office. FOF, you do realize you just shilled excuses for writers who are going to write their own fiction and attempt to insert that into the "tolkien space" as if it were worthy of being there with the literature written by tolkien, and they will be doing so in a non-timeless way (meaning it's going to be anachronistic and PAINFUL to watch just a few years after it's released). Also, from what I've seen of the people who would be writing, they are utterly incompetent to what the project baseline requires.

You have just gotten your first level in "sell your soul to the suits." The first few levels are fun. The more you get, the more they suck and the more you have to crush your own souls. Because you don't understand what it is to sell out, I'd suggest you go ask the people who watched this stuff happen the last time around in society. People born from about '68 to '75. Or don't, take the greedy coward's way out and just toss an insult at us and run after the access and cash.

Tolkien Fans Concerns Amplified: Amazon Partners with Fellowship of the Fans, Dismisses Reactions
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Everyone seems to have utterly forgotten what it is to "sell out" and why that sucks.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102941/selling_out_new_keeping_it_real_jpg-2369272.JPG

Hand driving railroad spikes
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 12:50:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Former network executive gives educated speculation on the mindset and happenings at amazon:

Amazon's Rings of Panic. LOTR in panic mode.

Again: speculation.

If he's right (and I can see him being right) ... they're going double down on stupid, because reality has to be the way they think it is.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 1:20:36 AM EDT
[#37]
one thing that would never happen, but would be an interesting exercise - if they would make 2 versions, one woke and one true to the source material and see which one is more popular.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
one thing that would never happen, but would be an interesting exercise - if they would make 2 versions, one woke and one true to the source material and see which one is more popular.
View Quote

It would be interesting if we could have polling in place for booksales on the books that asked if people were buying the books because they didn't like the shows.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Somewhat breaking:

Corrupted? The Rings of Power and The Control of LOTR Fan Site Narratives

Amazon is hardcore trying to get fans to utterly sell out their souls. Throwing what looks like k-street level lobbying at them.

It's sickening.

Event last week in london thrown for "fans" where they got to pre-screen the show.

https://www.teawithtolkien.com/blog/lotrrop-sneak-peek
The Journey Begins

Last week, I was invited to London by Prime Studios to join a handful of other Tolkien scholars and creatives for a sneak peek of their forthcoming series, “The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power”.

For full disclosure, the costs of this trip were paid by Prime Studios and I was under the very clear impression that their top priority was to impress us at all costs. However, I’ve tried to keep a level head throughout the whole thing and my thoughts and opinions of this experience are all my own.

"... Sauron desired to be a god-king, and was held to be this by his servants."
-J.R.R Tolkien Letters 184

Go on than. Serve sauron because he looks pretty to you and gives you your hearts desire. Be his saurman puppets, because you think him inevitable. Use the power of your voice to pull others in with you under the growing clouds and darkness.

You say you're tolkien fans and you say you like the books. Yet you are falling for things the books warn against. Suckers much?

He gives you your hearts greatest desire after his hatred of you was exposed. That's a clue. It's emotional manipulation.

Would you be grima?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

They already know which version we want.  They put out good stuff when they need some extra money to keep the lights on, and they put out woke stuff because it's their mission.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Thought this would be a good time to add the dislike update. Presented without comment:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#42]
You cannot watch a tv show or movie without them trying to indoctrinate you and normalize degeneracy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thought this would be a good time to add the dislike update. Presented without comment:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457118/Screenshot_2022-05-10_193610_png-2379374.JPG
View Quote

My mental tally of the dislikes counting that plus all the ones they have removed: Just about 5 million dislikes. The highest number the orcs let get put up was 3 million dislikes, which they cut to 1.2 million dislikes, and that was shortly after they had deleted 700kish dislikes off it.

And we know they've deleted over half the comments.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:35:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Somewhat breaking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mkBWYuXUEk

Amazon is hardcore trying to get fans to utterly sell out their souls. Throwing what looks like k-street level lobbying at them.

It's sickening.

Event last week in london thrown for "fans" where they got to pre-screen the show.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FSUzCOxWQAInkUK.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FSU2u3zXMAM0o-J.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FSU3j6DWQAATklM.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FSU39RNXwAMXrIt.jpg

The Journey Begins

Last week, I was invited to London by Prime Studios to join a handful of other Tolkien scholars and creatives for a sneak peek of their forthcoming series, “The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power”.

For full disclosure, the costs of this trip were paid by Prime Studios and I was under the very clear impression that their top priority was to impress us at all costs. However, I’ve tried to keep a level head throughout the whole thing and my thoughts and opinions of this experience are all my own.

Go on than. Serve sauron because he looks pretty to you and gives you your hearts desire. Be his saurman puppets, because you think him inevitable. Use the power of your voice to pull others in with you under the growing clouds and darkness.

You say you're tolkien fans and you say you like the books. Yet you are falling for things the books warn against. Suckers much?

He gives you your hearts greatest desire after his hatred of you was exposed. That's a clue. It's emotional manipulation.

Would you be grima?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:29:28 AM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somewhat breaking:

It's sickening.

The Journey Begins

Would you be grima?

https://c.tenor.com/qRXLEt2PRDYAAAAC/gandalf-keep.gif

But they get paid so much cool swag to flap their tongues!
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:34:58 AM EDT
[#46]
I mean it's all fantasy right? No doubt that the writers and producers responsible are talentless nonetheless.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:40:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somewhat breaking:

It's sickening.

The Journey Begins

Would you be grima?

Reminds me of ozzieman and his Game of Thrones videos.  After each new episode he’d put out a hilarious recap of it often making fun of how bad the show had gotten compared to what it use to be.  And then suddenly his videos stopped being funny, he never made fun of the show anymore, and instead he basically became a GoT hypeman.  People were confused and didn’t know what happened.

And then it came out he had been bought off by HBO and suddenly it all made sense.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Reminds me of ozzieman and his Game of Thrones videos.  After each new episode he’d put out a hilarious recap of it often making fun of how bad the show had gotten compared to what it use to be.  And then suddenly his videos stopped being funny, he never made fun of the show anymore, and instead he basically became a GoT hypeman.  People were confused and didn’t know what happened.

And then it came out he had been bought off by HBO and suddenly it all made sense.

https://i.gifer.com/QOlv.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Somewhat breaking:

It's sickening.

The Journey Begins

Would you be grima?

https://i.gifer.com/QOlv.gif

The ironic part is, IIRC, the onering.net, which is a disaster now ... went after jackson for his failings re: the LOTR movies.

Looks like these institutions are doing what institutions do: get old and decide they are about protecting their existence instead of doing what they were founded to do.

... something about lost your first love ...

ETA: wild how fans now don't seem to understand how you lose your credibility when you get onto the dole.  You're going from doing it because you like it, to doing it because you get paid to, either in currency or favors.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

He was actually playing a Caucasian character.
View Quote

He also wasn't the Last Samurai, Ken Watanabe's character was.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top