Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 56
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I was looking for something else in our curio cabinet and found some souvenirs that had been gifted to my father when he worked for the State Republican Party.

The box in between the cufflinks is M&Ms candy (well, they were, they sound kind of disintegrated now) with a facsimile of George Bush's (41) signature, and the match book is from the same time. @guns762, PM me your mailing address and I'll send them to you for the display. (I'm keeping the cuff links. Sorry.)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I may order some, but I don't think we will be doing any vacuum forming.
We will probably play with the plexiglass first and see how much of a disister it is, and go from thrre.
View Quote
How important is it to be transparent?  Could you cover with poster board and paint on the window details?  Granted you lose the 3d effect from different angles but might be an overall higher quality option.  I'm thinking along the lines of what you did on the shuttle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was looking for something else in our curio cabinet and found some souvenirs that had been gifted to my father when he worked for the State Republican Party.

The box in between the cufflinks is M&Ms candy (well, they were, they sound kind of disintegrated now) with a facsimile of George Bush's (41) signature, and the match book is from the same time. @guns762, PM me your mailing address and I'll send them to you for the display. (I'm keeping the cuff links. Sorry.)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74363/IMG_20190110_074655120_jpg-802800.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74363/IMG_20190110_074606076_jpg-802801.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74363/IMG_20190110_074612218_jpg-802803.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74363/IMG_20190110_074627093_jpg-802804.JPG
View Quote
That would be awesome! Thank you.  IM inbound.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How important is it to be transparent?  Could you cover with poster board and paint on the window details?  Granted you lose the 3d effect from different angles but might be an overall higher quality option.  I'm thinking along the lines of what you did on the shuttle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may order some, but I don't think we will be doing any vacuum forming.
We will probably play with the plexiglass first and see how much of a disister it is, and go from thrre.
Probably could be done, but I think we can succeed with the windows and some form of plexiglass .
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, what do you do when your cockpit is 2.5" too long????
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey, what do you do when your cockpit is 2.5" too long????
View Quote
I would.....Uh, erm…..
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#8]
And then there was a sudden shudder through out the galaxy as PHS students cried out in fear..........

The rivets have arrived!!
This is 1000heads, and 1000 tails, so we should have around 5000 individual rivets on the blackhawk when we get these all on.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Update 1/10

So back to the regularly scheduled "oh, how the heck did we get an extra 2.5"

Here you can see the gap between where the main fuselage and the cockpit cabin portion mate.   When getting info from CAD, these two frames were supposed to touch, but once we discussed where they felt this was ending, it didn't match up with our windows and doors on the rear fuselage.

To get the right placement of the first forward cabin frame, we had to move it 4" forward.......at least we thought that was correct.  Today we discussed and came to a consensus that when the pilots side windows were mapped in, there was too much space away from the cargobay doors and windows.

Once we did more measuring we needed to lose 2.5" and leave 1.5 inches between the frames from the two sections.

This is what we ended up with.  We had to cut a few ribs, and removed all the screws from the main beam.  We then just slid it back into place, reset the scews, and we were good to go.  Whole thing to about an hour.

The main beam is the 2x4.  The lower 2x2 slid back into the fuselage along with the rest of the frames.

Some people thought this was funny.  Future rivetor here.

We also added more frames for the engine cowlings on top of the helicopter.  

We went to add a couple other details to the lower side of the rear fuselage, and realized this part is just too small.  This is the beginning of the rebuild.

This is getting closer to finished.

This portion of the mural is also very close to finiahed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Lookin' good Guns!
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 1:02:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Huh, missed this thread from the get go, should pay more attention I guess.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Two thoughts:

1. Start calling rivet girl Rosie.  See if she can figure out why.

2. Have a periscope sticking out of the water in the mural.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Suggestion on the rivet lines.   Spacing is good.  Line, well.   I suggest one of these, then pre-drill easily since the center won't walk when putting rivet in.

If you already have one, I'mnot sure what is going wrong.  

Glad you corrected the length issue with your cock pit.

--ETA:

I love how you've worked the other works into this one, train is very subtle and nice, Shuttle as well.  I don't know where sub could hide, but you've got it covered otherwise.
View Quote

"Freshman."......that's who we will blame it on.

We end up having people go back and fix some rivets that get out of line.  We haven't had many people available to do that lately.  Before we paint, some sections will get corrected a bit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Two thoughts:

1. Start calling rivet girl Rosie.  See if she can figure out why.

2. Have a periscope sticking out of the water in the mural.
View Quote
My muralist is pushing back on the periscope idea.  I'll keep nagging her.

There may be another way to work the sub in.  I'm going to inspect the piece I was thinking about today.  I saw it in my supply closet the otherday, collecting dust in the corner.  It might be perfect if we can show the right angle.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#16]
My chief electrical engineer told me he's about ready to install the motion activated controller for the White House and grounds.  He said the new modulators I ordered over Christmas break make the LEDs much brighter than before.  I'm excited to see if it makes a difference.

He will then start working on the mechanics of the sliding door on the blackhawk side of our helo.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, this is in much worse condition than I remember.

Not sure we can salvage enough to hide in the 3D clouds/mist .....maybe as a wreck?  
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#20]
"We still need tabs for the football to help secure it and allow us to take it off and one when needed."

How often will the football need to be removed?

Maybe as simple as a couple of magnets epoxied inside and on the frame to hold in place?
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
"We still need tabs for the football to help secure it and allow us to take it off and one when needed."

How often will the football need to be removed?

Maybe as simple as a couple of magnets epoxied inside and on the frame to hold in place?
View Quote
I like your idea, but we went a little less sophisticated.
Solution is coming your way soon.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I like your idea, but we went a little less sophisticated.
Solution is coming your way soon.  
View Quote
Less sophisticated is my middle name, I like your style
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#24]

This is going to work.    Dremel off what we need , and how we want it displayed.

This was decided to be the best spot, although I didnt like them all being right together.   It did fit well, and I relented, as she was a good sport about doing this after she initially told me no way.

Pretty much I let her have it her way.  

Shes got some painting to do on it to make it rusted.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Continued......

Last details to the main rotor hub are done and ready for paint.

We also added the front portion of our rocket sled unit.  This also needed a recess cut out for the hub to sit down in.  

The tabs for the football going on. Pretty basic, but they allow us to bend to the right place.

Hanging in place. We need to skin behind this and on the edges before we get serious about attaching this in place.

More body blending.

Finally, rivets!
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You may have hurt the feelings of the student who so meticulously assembled that model a couple years ago.   However, it's proceeding to infamy instead of storage, so I think this is AWESOME!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is going to work.    Dremel off what we need , and how we want it displayed.

https://i.imgur.com/mj3Mh8Y.jpg

This was decided to be the best spot, although I didnt like them all being right together.   It did fit well, and I relented, as she was a good sport about doing this after she initially told me no way.

Pretty much I let her have it her way.  

Shes got some painting to do on it to make it rusted.
https://i.imgur.com/gcey3qn.jpg

You may have hurt the feelings of the student who so meticulously assembled that model a couple years ago.   However, it's proceeding to infamy instead of storage, so I think this is AWESOME!
Well, it got broken up pretty good over the time of the build as we used it extensively for modeling the display.

It was pretty trashed when we finished.

And........the kid who put it together is currently reworking the space shuttle.....and I'll kick his ass if he doesn't like it.

He might also be my youngest son.

Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm trying to upload pictures, but imgur is being weird.

Hes adding a IR remote to open the doors on demand.

He says he also rewrote the code to be less cumbersome.  It's about 100 lines shorter, and hardware interrupts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Every time I see the engine hoist I laugh.

I wonder how many art classes in the world have one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Our principal was making the rounds yesterday and commented to me that we'd gotten pretty darn good investment out of our two.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Next comes the 2 post lift for next years projects
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#33]
We managed to get the hardware installed last night, but there was a flaw in the code.

We quit for the night and went to dinner.  

My son fixed the code after dinner and it's ready to install sometime today.
This whole assembly had to come off to access the arduino.

I'm pretty amazed at how much his level of  knowledge has improved since he last worked on this.  After almost 3 years of electrical engineering,  in suppose it should .

Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm sorry to say, that submarine looks like you are just shoehorning it in for the sake of adding it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Very impressed with the build, and past builds

I do have a question

Why do you allow them to shotgun the rivets on there?
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm sorry to say, that submarine looks like you are just shoehorning it in for the sake of adding it.
View Quote

It might, but it fits the hurricane disaster composition on that wall pretty well.

Most people will just see a ship wreck.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Very impressed with the build, and past builds

I do have a question

Why do you allow them to shotgun the rivets on there?
View Quote
It's harder than you think to keep them perfectly lined up.  The drill bit wants to wander on the paper, even when they are trying to be careful.

Good news is, at least on some of our references on the real thing, they aren't much better at lines.

Once the paint goes on, they won't stick out so bad.  The white really accentuates the lines.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

An auto punch takes 1 second per rivet hole and stops the drill wander.

Draw lines, use a compass to step out spacing, punch each crossing, not at the same time, but when one panel is ready:  Draw rivet line with a chalk line or whichever method desired.  Mark out spacing with compass set to spacing, arc over centerline and touch pencil down to make next X, move fixed leg of compass to that X, Repeat.

If the user pushes hard on the compass leg to X each time, the spiky leg will leave a center for drill to hang out it, no need to re-punch except for last mark on line, which could be stabbed with compass without making a mark.   If compass point isn't dep enough to catch drilll, run down it with an auto center punch, with somebody spinning a drill bit into punched centers behind them, or as a second operation.

I'm sure you probably know layout methods, but didn't know if this method crossed your mind or not.  There are other ways to do it, I'm not sure how you currently draw the lines and mark out spacing, though.   After the first few crossings, the compass distance thing is easy and fast, just make sureit's a real compass set via thumb-wheel, so it doesn't get bumped and change spacing as they're marked out.

Geometric constructions can be handy, so I hope you have a compass in that room somewhere.
View Quote

They do pretty well marking the 1/2" spots for the rivets.  They use a ruler after the line is snapped.

This picture is probably one that most of you are seeing the rivets out of alignment.  This area is not acceptable, and will eventually be corrected.  

Students have also pointed out this area and a couple others out that need correction, we just haven't had time yet to do it.

Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That's pretty focused and close..    The compass method is faster than a ruler in addition to more accurate, since there's not two things that need to be held, just the compass and previous hole, pencil is already held away from hole the right distance, just need to squiggle it at the crossing, repeat, no moving ruler, ruler parallax error, line not quite where ruler showed it should have been, etc.

I thought you were a detail guy?   Though I suppose this is why you actually get things finished before the year is over (mostly).  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An auto punch takes 1 second per rivet hole and stops the drill wander.

Draw lines, use a compass to step out spacing, punch each crossing, not at the same time, but when one panel is ready:  Draw rivet line with a chalk line or whichever method desired.  Mark out spacing with compass set to spacing, arc over centerline and touch pencil down to make next X, move fixed leg of compass to that X, Repeat.

If the user pushes hard on the compass leg to X each time, the spiky leg will leave a center for drill to hang out it, no need to re-punch except for last mark on line, which could be stabbed with compass without making a mark.   If compass point isn't dep enough to catch drilll, run down it with an auto center punch, with somebody spinning a drill bit into punched centers behind them, or as a second operation.

I'm sure you probably know layout methods, but didn't know if this method crossed your mind or not.  There are other ways to do it, I'm not sure how you currently draw the lines and mark out spacing, though.   After the first few crossings, the compass distance thing is easy and fast, just make sureit's a real compass set via thumb-wheel, so it doesn't get bumped and change spacing as they're marked out.

Geometric constructions can be handy, so I hope you have a compass in that room somewhere.

They do pretty well marking the 1/2" spots for the rivets.  They use a ruler after the line is snapped.

This picture is probably one that most of you are seeing the rivets out of alignment.  This area is not acceptable, and will eventually be corrected.  

Students have also pointed out this area and a couple others out that need correction, we just haven't had time yet to do it.

https://i.imgur.com/CKqaMBC.jpg
That's pretty focused and close..    The compass method is faster than a ruler in addition to more accurate, since there's not two things that need to be held, just the compass and previous hole, pencil is already held away from hole the right distance, just need to squiggle it at the crossing, repeat, no moving ruler, ruler parallax error, line not quite where ruler showed it should have been, etc.

I thought you were a detail guy?   Though I suppose this is why you actually get things finished before the year is over (mostly).  
I'm a detail guy, and push the students to be that way too, but I'm also a realist, even when that drives some kids nuts too.

To get this done, we have to live with some flaws.  You should hear the kids when they come in at different times during the day and see something that they dont like.  The rivets definatley get that response, and I remind them we will fix the bad ones....we just have to wait a bit.

As to using a compass, we just have cheap ones that dont stay set.  I've had good ones, but they get broken too quickly......kind of like double action airbrushes.

Rulers for this work pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm currently sitting under the space shuttle again, as Top_Men works to figure out what's wrong with the new code.

It wasnt quite fixed....  
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I didn't know it was broken?    I thought he was adding "enhancements" to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm currently sitting under the space shuttle again, as Top_Men works to figure out what's wrong with the new code.

It wasnt quite fixed....  
I didn't know it was broken?    I thought he was adding "enhancements" to it.
It wasnt broken.....till we enhanced it.....

He thinks he knows what's wrong now.  Little problem with pins2&3 on the motor shield.  He says we have to do a little surgery.

The hardware interrupts are being triggered and not allowing the door motors to keep moving.

That's the new theory.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It wasnt broken.....till we enhanced it.....

He thinks he knows what's wrong now.  Little problem with pins2&3 on the motor shield.  He says we have to do a little surgery.

The hardware interrupts are being triggered and not allowing the door motors to keep moving.

That's the new theory.
View Quote
One of the first rules of engineering is that if it isn't broke, keep fixing it till it is!  
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Is he combining direct register access in C with "DigtalWrite" commands in the Arduino library?

If you pick hardware for anything other than initial setup, need to do all commands direct.  Arduino will do really odd stuff since it (correctly) assumes the rest of the code "isn't touching/using that" so blindly writes without a check read first.   If they did that, it'd e 30x slower than native 9instead of 10x).  Not as many people would get interested, etc.

What are pins 2/3 on what he thinks the problem is with  Is it communictions, such as I²C to board or direct write?  Been so long I forgot.
View Quote
This is my know nothing explanation....He ran into a problem with what he thinks is the motor shield.  He isolated pins 2 and 3 on the arduino for the hardware interrupts,  but they are still drawing down causing the interrupts to trigger, shutting off the doors.

We had to give up last night.  He thinks maybe there may be a slight change the pins are still touching the shield, as the error doesn't happen when the sheild is not on.  Hes tried it on two different arduinos thinking one might be broken, but as soon as the sheild is added, the error occurs on those pins.

Hes going to try to cover the ends of the pins and see if it keeps the pins from shutting off the doors.

After that...  we dont know what to do.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This is my know nothing explanation....He ran into a problem with what he thinks is the motor shield.  He isolated pins 2 and 3 on the arduino for the hardware interrupts,  but they are still drawing down causing the interrupts to trigger, shutting off the doors.

We had to give up last night.  He thinks maybe there may be a slight change the pins are still touching the shield, as the error doesn't happen when the sheild is not on.  Hes tried it on two different arduinos thinking one might be broken, but as soon as the sheild is added, the error occurs on those pins.

Hes going to try to cover the ends of the pins and see if it keeps the pins from shutting off the doors.

View Quote
Don't let the pins float unconnected. Put a pull-up resistor on them to hold them steady high.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Don't let the pins float unconnected. Put a pull-up resistor on them to hold them steady high.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He says arduino does have an internal pullup resistor.

The shield was using pins 2 and 3 for chip select, and 2 and 3 are the only pins on an arduino uno that can be used as hardware interrupts.

He soldered to wires from 2 to 10 and 3 to 11, then cut the pins 2 and 3 from the shield to the arduino.  The weird thing is they are still pulling low, triggering the interrupts.

No where in the program are the pins 2 and 3 being used, but they are still pulling low.  The guess is the shield is pulling them.

We are about to head over for another session of fix it.
Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top