Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 56
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Amazon Product
  • Check out my other listings for more great deals on flags and decals
  • United States Of America banner is professionally manufactured in the USA.
  • United States Of America pop vinylis easily removed and leaves no traces.

How about this?
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
www.amazon.com/dp/B07FDZZPN2How about this?
View Quote
I looked at that one.  It's perfect........if it had a reverse twin.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
The white makes a huge difference in the scope of the project

Great job kids..ugh..young people ...oh...hell...the "students", just sounds so elementary
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Of course.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course.  
Are they needed on both sides?
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course.  
Yup.

I think the photo paper will be the way we go.  The graphics class can print us out the flags and other graphics on whatever size paper we need.  It will be cost efficient and a quality we can control,  and repeat if need be.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The white makes a huge difference in the scope of the project

Great job kids..ugh..young people ...oh...hell...the "students", just sounds so elementary
View Quote

I was anxious to put the top back on there, but the paint was wet, and we still need to finish the gray on the other side.  We also need to retouch the black details on the rocket sled tomorrow.

The paint has also allowed us to pick out problem areas that hid in the white before.  Those we will continue to pick at, as we add more minor details.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Update 2/22

Some excitement this morning just seeing this start to come together with some color.

We also realized we've got a few corrections to make in the paint behind the exhausts.  They should be black on Marine One.

We are still considering how we want the fade to blackhawk will go.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2019 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Big shout out and THANK YOU to @AZNetEng !  

We got a nice surprise from AZ today in the form of glue guns and glue sticks.  We've had several of our glue guns die in the last few weeks.  They are several years old and are plugged in all day long.    Not surprising many have failed in the last month or so.

AZNetEng offered to help us out and get us some replacements.  These are awesome!  And glues sticks to go with them.  Not surprisingly, we go through a lot of these a year......like 25lbs.

Link Posted: 2/22/2019 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Update 2/22 continued

With the top on, students started figuring out what needs adjusted as far as paint lines.

We figured out where we need the white/green line, and also where black paint is being the exhaust.

We got our flags on photo paper today and we are working with a local print shop for the "United States of America" banner.

We replaced the one flag after we got a little carried away and trimmed part of the bottom red stripe.

We decided to rework the nose, as the gloss paint is really showing the flaws.  We will sand it down, skim more material on, then sand again before repaint.

Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Guns, y’all have an awesome project going and is looking good. BUT.......I still think y’all should have stayed with Marine One and not try to morph it into whatever else.
To portray other models of the aircraft, photos would have worked, but I seem to be in the minority. In no way am I dissing the students and their work!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Guns, y’all have an awesome project going and is looking good. BUT.......I still think y’all should have stayed with Marine One and not try to morph it into whatever else.
To portray other models of the aircraft, photos would have worked, but I seem to be in the minority. In no way am I dissing the students and their work!!!
View Quote
I appreciate the constructive criticism.  

There are definately some people who may not like the morph.  A couple teachers have also voiced concern.  Hopefully once it all comes together, it works out the way we want it to.  

Many of the kids just want it to be a Blackhawk, and hate the green.  

I'm actually excited for how well the morph is going and cant wait to see the fade to happen on the top after we get the flag in there.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But...  The backdrop!!!  The surfboard, the train, the ...  Maybe could be surveying the damage, I suppose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But...  The backdrop!!!  The surfboard, the train, the ...  Maybe could be surveying the damage, I suppose.
That's the goal.  It has to be viewed in context to the display.  

It may work perfectly, and it may be partially effective.  Time will tell.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Front half of the ball thingy looks to be satin black, like cloth, but a slightly reflective, non-matte/non-gloss finish there.  Could just put on whatever black you want, then adjust the sheen with various clear coats so there's not a blend edge where the green is as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update 2/22 continued

With the top on, students started figuring out what needs adjusted as far as paint lines.

https://i.imgur.com/w0ciuhN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hj9WaEr.jpg

We figured out where we need the white/green line, and also where black paint is being the exhaust.

https://i.imgur.com/xD4uQCF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OkW14gc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dZYkevm.jpg

We got our flags on photo paper today and we are working with a local print shop for the "United States of America" banner.

https://i.imgur.com/DnD1VK6.jpg

We replaced the one flag after we got a little carried away and trimmed part of the bottom red stripe.

https://i.imgur.com/FMYtgXU.jpg

We decided to rework the nose, as the gloss paint is really showing the flaws.  We will sand it down, skim more material on, then sand again before repaint.
https://i.imgur.com/ictBrIb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/h3Ofd9v.jpg
Front half of the ball thingy looks to be satin black, like cloth, but a slightly reflective, non-matte/non-gloss finish there.  Could just put on whatever black you want, then adjust the sheen with various clear coats so there's not a blend edge where the green is as well.
I hear you, but with several images of Marine One, we think it's gloss green.  We've had long discussions about the color.  We may be wrong.  President Trump and HMX-1 could bring a bird by for closer inspection to be sure.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Agreed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed

Have faith.

Once we start blending the paint, and viewed within the display, hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Have faith.

Once we start blending the paint, and viewed within the display, hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed

Have faith.

You and your kids haven't disappointed yet.  Just my crayon eating opinion of an artists unfinished art.  Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You and your kids haven't disappointed yet.  Just my crayon eating opinion of an artists unfinished art.  Keep up the good work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed

Have faith.

Constructive criticism is how we improve the display.  "The vision" can be very different to different people when explained in the theoretical sense.  Once it finally fills out, many may find it more appealing, and some may not, or even find it less appealing.

This is the "Art" component of the display, and not everyone will find the rendering as effective as others.

In reality, even I don't have the answer to what it will look like exactly, once we are done.  There will be many corrections and alterations before it's "just right"
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Weeding the vinyl and making an overlay is a PITA even once you do learn how to run the plotter without the (spendy) software that optimizes lines and knife turns for blade life without rips, while still maintaining pattern, otherwise you need to figure a lot of that out on your own, then there's the pulling off the parts that aren't what you want, thinking in mirror image, that's tedius and one mistake is a nightmare.  When you get to 3 colors (layers) getting all of them weeded with registration is a pain.  Vinyl is awesome, I've used it for Circuit boards, but it get's old quick.

Best shot is buying a US Flag printed on white vinyl sheet instead of 3 layers of vinyl for red/white/blue.   For decals, call your local vinyl shop and ask for a quote, if you offer to weed it yourself, you'll get it cheaper, also if you provide your own transfer masking to lay down once the weeding is done.

Cut vinyl negatives are exactly how I did many of the firearm designs, including the Milwaukee, "reverse" weeded it, put the sticker "negative" on, painted the white for 2 coats (pull off vinyl in between so it's not welded to finish).  Then clear coat the entirety and finish up with matte clear.

No vinyl on stock afterward, just used as "masking tape shaped exactly right" to lay down DuraCoat.

https://i.imgur.com/DYua9lUl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sZbSJcUl.jpg
View Quote
That's pretty cool-not something I'd do myself but I like the look!
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 5:58:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Big shout out and THANK YOU to @AZNetEng !  

We got a nice surprise from AZ today in the form of glue guns and glue sticks.  We've had several of our glue guns die in the last few weeks.  They are several years old and are plugged in all day long.    Not surprising many have failed in the last month or so.

AZNetEng offered to help us out and get us some replacements.  These are awesome!  And glues sticks to go with them.  Not surprisingly, we go through a lot of these a year......like 25lbs.

https://i.imgur.com/fjvFxiM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3qkMP4S.jpg
View Quote
Glad they got there in one piece!
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, you got the olive-drab color spot on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Update 2/25

This was a nice surprise today.  One of the team leaders from the Shuttle Crew stopped in today to say hello.  He started his own buisness two years ago after graduating, building spec houses.  You might also remember him from last year's build.    He stopped in on a similarly cold day and spent the day working on our locomotive.

It was a stupid cold day today and he took the day off to come visit and give out a couple hats with his buisness logo on them to a few favorite teachers.  I got one.  I'm very proud of him.

Link Posted: 2/25/2019 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#26]
It looks great
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Continued. ....

We worked today on more small details.

More nose work.  We think we may finally be getting close to making this look better.

This also needed a bit of touch up.

We are getting the top ready to spray blend the top, and needed some parts taped off.

We dropped the top back down to check for paint lines matching up right and looking for rivet line problems.

We ran into a few problems getting the flags on.  With the weird contours, they didn't want to go on there without wrinkling.  We ended up doing each twice.

The seal was much easier.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Looking great!
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I have flown very little as a passenger in 60s compared to others here, but that color and those rows of rivets take me back to Iraq and Kuwait.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:51:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have flown very little as a passenger in 60s compared to others here, but that color and those rows of rivets take me back to Iraq and Kuwait.
View Quote
Thaak you, that's a nice compliment, I mentioned to pass on to the students.  I've been using all of arfcoms comments as incentives when I get any push about fixing or adding more details.

Yesterday I used, "Do you want the guys who've ridden and flown on Blackhawks to see that and say 'that doesn't look good.'"

You can see the look in their eyes, and know, yup, they are going to fix it.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

/Waiting for the next 50lb bag of rivets?  Hope you pre-ordered an extra this time.

Is the shiny camera/radar hiding dome that's smooth as something really smooth declared completed?

Are you putting the teardrop red/green navigation light holders on the landing gear?  If you're in the craft, facing forward, left is Red/Port, right is Green/Starboard.   Helicopter pilot typicalyl sits on opposite side from fixed wing planes.

https://i.imgur.com/MvYEfXc.png
View Quote
We've worked out a new material for rivets......cheaper, and readily available.  They look slightly different, but with paint, it will be very difficult to tell the difference.  We've mixed many in already, and they seem acceptable.

We don't think we have too many left to do except around the windows, once they are installed.  We might be able to install some of those soon, but need to finish the interior gray paint first.

We still have the lines to do on the radar dome.  Maybe today so one will have time to mess with it.  We were waiting to get the nose fixed so debrie wouldn't fall onto it.

I talked to robotics again yesterday about progress and we discussed lights.  He says it's easy and not a problem.  We have a plan for lenses on the landing gear, but if we could find something  in that elongated tear shape that's not glass, I will order it.  They are pretty small, about 2" long by 1" wide.

Robotics had me order bearings yesterday for the door, so the plan is "on track".  He also told me he has the housing design ready for the White House electronics, and just needs to print it out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If you've got close-ups of either 101st Airborne Medevac
View Quote
101st?! They ain't shit.  Go with the real airborne, the 82nd!
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The students and I were discussing the interservice rivalries yesterday, and some of the comments on arfcom.  

The One Oh One was very generous to us with their flag presentation contribution to the display.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody likes you guys, and your hygiene is questionable.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#36]
ARFCOM,

We need close up photos of warning labels, or other stickers that are found on a blackhawk helicopter.   We can recreate them if necessary, but even using a picture may work like we did with the Space Shuttle.   There are very subtle labels I'm seeing on some photos, but they are black on grey, and hard to make out.

The more the better.

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#38]
If you are willing to change from the 101st to the 82nd Airborne, I could put you in contact with the commander of the 82nd Airborne Combat Aviation Brigade and or the BDE surgeon for your medevac bird.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Update 2/25

This was a nice surprise today.  One of the team leaders from the Shuttle Crew stopped in today to say hello.  He started his own buisness two years ago after graduating, building spec houses.  You might also remember him from last year's build.    He stopped in on a similarly cold day and spent the day working on our locomotive.

It was a stupid cold day today and he took the day off to come visit and give out a couple hats with his buisness logo on them to a few favorite teachers.  I got one.  I'm very proud of him.

https://i.imgur.com/8UHbBii.jpg
View Quote
Sounds like you had a very positive influence on that young man, well done!
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Udate 2/26

Our tinting process has hit a wall, so we are going to try a spray tint made for plexiglass.  Hopefully it will give us the results we want.  We have a b out half of the windows tinted, but may rework all of them.  Did I mention it says on line that the refular tint won't work on plexiglass.......

It actually looks pretty great on some of it.  The major curves and corners just won't work.

We had a major push to get the interior all painted today.

Plastic over the windows....

Dome students started picking put small details to work on tonight.

The nose got another coat of paint.

Students started feeling out the fade.

We are going to switch guns tomorrow for a finer mist.

More details on the landing gear.  They will be painted later.

Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:11:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
A straight edge, sharp blade and steady hand are all you need to reverse a flag
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true.  Didnt think of that.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey guns, maybe add the pope to the Marine One side?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
She is really looking incredible!
View Quote

I almost wish it were taking the trip down to Casper in the trailer so you could see it in person.  

You might have to fly up here just to see it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 12:37:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Couple of Blackhawk stories that those rivets and paint keep replaying in my mind:

Fall of 2011, so just before our official withdrawal of "combat" troops from Iraq.  My unit left Basra, and I volunteered to help 25th ID stand up an office in Tallil.  I am not a door kicker, and other than a brief trip to Baghdad and two weeks in Europe, had been in Basra my whole deployment.  All my flights to that point had been on Air Force fixed wing, out of Basra to Kuwait, and back on the rotator.

I'm tossed into a UH-60, my 1st flight ever on a Blackhawk, and go zooming up to Tallil, a few hundred feet up, the bird's M-240 pointing out the window.  I've got my full gear on, all 4 ceramic plates in the vest, all 7 mags on me.  Very exciting stuff for an office nerd.

Two years later, I'm on a destroyer in the Persian Gulf, different unit doing deck ops.  I walk out on one of the upper decks, and can hear the Blackhawk idling her engines.  All of the sudden there is a roar, and I am face to face w/ the Blackhawk pilots as they hover over the helipad on the back of the destroyer.  The Blackhawk may not look very big when you get into one, but looking at it face to face when it's airborne, it looks massive.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 2:01:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#49]
The refinished nose looks MUCH better now.  They did a good job improving that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

............snip.........

For safety, you're only looking for labels on the aircraft while in flight, correct?   Like dotted lines for rescue, "Hot" warnings, and "not a step" stuff?

Meaning, No "Remove before flight" tags and stuff like that.  I know it's flying away from the damage, toward the Wh (or the other way?) but I figured I'd ask.   Is there a specific year to target near for the correct insignia generation?

Lastly would this be on both M1 and BH sides?  Just the vertical middle section of the BH side, etc.

Finally, on this one:
https://i.imgur.com/FyMS1ez.jpg

The upper-left quadrant of the inlet looks too sharply curved in, a "too square" corner, by just a little bit, if using matte black as on the BH Camo side, it'd hide it, but the gloss high up like that may be giving a perception it's bent too hard and still sitting higher, or it's been to hard to make up for sitting a little higher.

May want to wait for somebody that's been around them a lot to say what'd look better, of they look that way.
View Quote
Yeah, what we need are the permanent labels that are on both aircraft.

We would like more info on a 101st  medevac bird(unit markings?  where are they?), but I'm guessing most versions are going to have similar warning labels.   The same with the HMX side, although it seems those are much more subtle, or not there at all on most pictures we are looking at.

As to the intake, I think its a mix of little imperfections in the surface + gloss paint + sanding down gloss paint to accept grey-green color.   It will probably correct itself when we get the rest of the grey on there, and faded out.
Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top