Site Notices
Page / 56
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not quite, but close.   We are cleaning up clouds,  and making them look more like each other.
View Quote
ETA:    Was told today, 42 more days of school.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Update 3/12

We are working on getting our light fixtures set up today.

We stepped back into making lenses again today......with many trials and failures.

We tried many shapes, oval, round, and even this....

Finally, we switched up the bulb for a ball, and a round piece......

With some grinding on the edges, it should work for our lenses.

We think these are going to work great for LED bulbs.

We decided to get that window reworked.   It took two more iterations to get one that was as good as the starboard side.

Students heated the plexiglass on a flat metal stool, then placed it over the old glass, and pressed the edges.

Detail painting on the window edges continues.

Making the cuts for the door mechanism.    We had to move one interior support, and that took a little extra.   We also had to reinforce the top outer edge.    We then went back and added support behind the edges of the track.

Cutting the interior support bulkheads.

Link Posted: 3/12/2019 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
More video......   little better light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJrcO_BDdYU
View Quote
You could replace the mini rescue bird with a Hind (Mi-24), or something, then an SS team on the White House roof firing a Stinger.  Using the cloud material and some lighting effect, you could have a pretty cool missile trail.

Link Posted: 3/12/2019 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I know that cut was measured right, and you double checked what you were told by the guy designing the door mechanics, who verified.

Readbacks and red tape is useful at some points, just not every step, especially not in an Art class.  
View Quote
Yup, had him show us exactly what he wanted.    Luckily, most of the framework for the track is going to be built to suit the slot we cut.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Regarding the budget, I suspect ARFCOM would be good for a spring T-shirt sale.  Perhaps similar on the front, but on the back showing the wooden framework of the helicopter growing out of a finished front half?

I forget what is financials?  G-8?
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Update 3/13

More work on the marker light housings.....

We are trying to limit any exposure to paper product, by encasing the lights in plastic fixtures.

Making sure we can access these if bulbs ever burn out.

The lens cover on this was ok, but today we decided to do something different.

Carriage prototype.    I think he's going to turn the wheels on a lathe at home, as these just won't last long.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Been a while since I've updated the cost.  
We added about $50 for electrical plumbing.

+50
----------------------------------------
$2653.00 total as of 3/11  I'm hoping we are close the end of our costs.
View Quote
+30 for more Marine One paint, green glitter paint, and night lights

$2683.00 total as of 3/13
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#14]
3/13 update continued.....

Little LED tail light bulb.  We are adding the housing today.  All the bulbs are now installed and ready for power.

Taught two students to solder today.  

New light covers.....AKA night light shades cut down and painted.

Nose repaint about finished.....

Cleaning up the paint on the starboard landing gear.....

Purple armed pilot about ready for skin tones, and clothing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Have you looked at the brightness of those behind the lens yet? Green may need more tint to color the blinding white,  is the port side a red bulb?  
White LED behind "normal" tint lenses is pretty washed out color, but that'd fit in on BH side.
View Quote
We haven't had any power to them, so no idea yet.  Hopefully we will find out soon.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Continued update......

Not sure if we will leave this housing.  It's close, but it probably needs to be angled back a bit, and maybe a bit shorter.

These are door bumpers......   we painted them blackish with the tint paint, and will add holographic paint over top, before adding a final clear coat.  These will be the camera lenses on the bottom pods.

Link Posted: 3/13/2019 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Update 3/14

We are getting the small details close to finished, with the exception of a few.

We started cleaning up the blades and installing the eyelets.  It's funny watching the kids go back and look at work from the beginning and want to rework it.  Their acceptance of quality has risen considersbly.

More clothing for our pilot.

We started and decided to rework the top trim line.

This might have been the most frustrating......

We felt really good about the white stripe.

We even perfected getting the stripe to detail over the rivets.    It looked great.

It's too bad the stripe is about 3 inches too high and needs to come off tomorrow.  

We decided we need to move those two protrusions down.  They are too high and causing the line to be too high.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok, now before anyone gets too excited, this is just playing around.  I mentioned to students that it was suggested we should do a Presidential letter edition shirt.  They liked the idea and so we messed around a bit.

If we do this, it won't be a fundraiser.    I'll try to set it up where students and you can order through a link.  I think I can do that.  I think it will work better for the smaller type of order thst this might end up.

I'm open to suggestions on design changes.  We should be able to get the entire text of the letter readable on the shirt.

I'll try to see of there is much interest from students to purchase these.  This might be a cool way to get a copy of the letter.......or it could be a dumb idea.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2019 7:13:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Oooh.  I like the white lettering.

But it absolutely should be your spring fundraiser.  I'd like your new principal to see how your budget runneth over and you still spend it all...
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Oooh.  I like the white lettering.

But it absolutely should be your spring fundraiser.  I'd like your new principal to see how your budget runneth over and you still spend it all...
View Quote
New Principal is our old VP, so he knows how we run.  

With a non fundraiser ordering set up......... if we can get at least 25 ordered, the price would only be about $16 +  $5 shipping.    More, and the price goes down.   I'm getting together a list of kids that will commit to purchasing.   I'll know next week where we are sitting.

There seems to be good interest by the kids and I think we can get close to 25.   The orange/gray/black is the favorite so far.    Orange and black are our school colors.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Update 3/15

Morning update.    Ultra short schedule today as we are having an assembly.

The unicorns keep showing up here.   This one was given to me by a student who carries a small tape measure around in her pocket.    I tend to razz her a bit about using it over a ruler occasionally, and this was her response.

Anyway, this was presented to me today, and it's awesome.  

We played with this, but students shot it down.   No unicorn on this T.

Some more blending of our colors along the starboard side.

New trim line along the bottom.  This one is where we feel it it is most correct.   We had to move a couple protrusions, but that didn't take long.

Using the heat gun to get the tape to fit over and around each rivet it crossed.

Small trim line going on.

We are on track to hang the fuselage early next week; probably Tuesday or Wed.

Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Update 3/15

Morning update.    Ultra short schedule today as we are having an assembly.

The unicorns keep showing up here.   This one was given to me by a student who carries a small tape measure around in her pocket.    I tend to razz her a bit about using it over a ruler occasionally, and this was her response.

https://i.imgur.com/t1gjKMq.jpg

Anyway, this was presented to me today, and it's awesome.  
https://i.imgur.com/h1ei9Gv.jpg

We played with this, but students shot it down.   No unicorn on this T.
https://i.imgur.com/BtCGYUf.jpg

Some more blending of our colors along the starboard side.
https://i.imgur.com/cXXMxRJ.jpg

New trim line along the bottom.  This one is where we feel it it is most correct.   We had to move a couple protrusions, but that didn't take long.
https://i.imgur.com/GgyV1lX.jpg

Using the heat gun to get the tape to fit over and around each rivet it crossed.
https://i.imgur.com/Q9buR5I.jpg

Small trim line going on.
https://i.imgur.com/G1grreK.jpg

We are on track to hang the fuselage early next week; probably Tuesday or Wed.
https://i.imgur.com/enUPECF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PbupHzZ.jpg
View Quote
Looks amazing!

When will they have to expand the school building to give you more room to display your projects?
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looks good!  What happened to the front windows?  I guess they weren't installed, still waiting on doing interior stuff?

I can use a T-shirt of whichever design you come up with, this is a good project.
View Quote
We are still waiting on the holographic paint to come in this afternoon.   Once we have it, we can do the side window and install it.  The two front windows we are going to hold off until we have the pilots seated.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#27]
looking great Guns!

I am down for more shirts!
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Evening update before the weekend-

Paint on the rear tire.  We need to also paint the wheel.

We saw we missed a little texture detail on the large protrusion on the Marine One side.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Does that stripe line up when viewed from about below?  (top pic)
View Quote
As far as we can tell, yes.  

There will probably be many things we go back and tweak once it's up in the air, and viewed from below.  We caught one of the fins not line up the other day.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#32]
What if it turns out they move the stripes periodically to prevent a pattern recognition homing missile?  
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 3:57:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I love seeing your projects come together!
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Got a call from a local flower shop today.  My student teacher works there on Saturdays, and got our UNITED STATES OF AMERICA decal printed off.

Holographic paint is delayed due to the storm last week.  Won't be here till Monday.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Awesome updates,  i am in for more shirts and got some change laying around that could use a 1/2 country journey...post it up

By the way, the picture with the bandit on the train was epic...I was like...do it...do it....jump on the chopper!...then I was like, that would make a mess if rotor was turning

Let us know! The white letters on dark shirt is pimp simply glorious
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Hanging planned for Wednesday at 10:00am MDT.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Update 3/18

We are still cleaning up in the Mural area.  Cords got painted today.   They plan on painting to match the tile on the way down the wall.

Wings Of Destiny 101st Airborne logo going up.

Oh, look!, more parts in the wrong place.    Slight movement needed in these.....again.

Of course, the other side needed moved too, to match.

USofA decal going on today.  What a pain.     Much harder than decals I've done on vehicles.   It just didn't want to stick.  Each letter and each rivet that was covered had to have heat applied to it, then wrapped around the rivet to get it to stick down and look good.   It's been a long day of heating for a second of two, then carefully applying pressure.

Students wanted to go back and clean up some areas that aren't looking quite as good as we thought before.  

Movement complete, and new paint being applied.

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hanging is commencing!

Where's the link for the youtube livestream
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Vinyl:  What brand vinyl was used?  If Important, get the 3M for a bit more.  There's also a spray to clean any binders/wax from surface (even in fresh paint) which can make it stick better, though it leaves it sort of hazy.  Depends on the type of paint used, if latex, that would also explain it, as sticking stuff to rubber is difficult.  A plastic adhesion promoter spray may help.
View Quote
Not sure what brand, as there was nothing identifying it, like your see on 3M.

It's on there, and hopefully stays put.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hanging is commencing!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hanging is commencing!

Probably not a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Update 3/19

We are on hold for the hanging.  Just got a text that the district handyman that was going to help us is sick.  Looks like it will be Friday.

That's not really that big of deal, and after today's work, we could probably use a few more days on the ground.

Holographic paint looks good.

Window and trim going on.

Little caulking around the windows.

The framework for the door track getting tacked togethet.

All welded up.

Installed.....

We found this nice photo today......and all the details we've been missing.

New hole in the fuselage.  We added some foam behind it, and some paint.

More screen, and trim.....

Looks pretty close.

Another vent under the tail fuselage.  We still have a ways to go on this.  

Getting some numbers on the tail. We will have to pull a few rivets to get these to lay the way we want.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#44]
That thing under the nose looks a little big compared to that 3/4 view you have.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That thing under the nose looks a little big compared to that 3/4 view you have.
View Quote
Very well could be.

Different angles can do that.    We did a lot of comparing and think it's pretty close.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#46]
What tail number did you guys chose?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What tail number did you guys chose?
View Quote
Well, we can see one in the picture, but students want to use our zip code.

Dont have one up there yet, so there is time to lobby.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Any 101st guys have a tail number of your favorite medivac helicopter you want to share?  
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Any 101st guys have a tail number of your favorite medivac helicopter you want to share?  
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like it.
Page / 56
Top Top