Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every last person here would do the same for their kid that this mother did. Fair or not, you would fucking do the same thing.

True.

False.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's two people killed for emotional bullshit.

pure class you are

He has a point.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:36:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Someone else loses their chance--actually TWO people lost their chances--because of the media-savvy mother.  There's always more to the story.

if that was your little girl, think of the lengths you would go to enable her to live.
if you don't have children, you have no idea what those lengths are.

It is true that some ,  maybe most, people are flawed like that.    

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  Someone else loses their chance--actually TWO people lost their chances--because of the media-savvy mother.  There's always more to the story.

if that was your little girl, think of the lengths you would go to enable her to live.

All transplant candidates are someone's child, regardless of their age.  The 26 year old young man or 42 year old mother have parents that want them to live just as badly as this 10 year old girl.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't we read stories about kids wanting adult organs every single day?
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every last person here would do the same for their kid that this mother did. Fair or not, you would fucking do the same thing.

True.

False.

How old is your daughter?  You mean you would let her die when the doctors told you she could receive a transplant but a rule by HHS wouldn't even allow her to have a shot?  

I would LOVE to be part of your family.  You really have their backs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We should just take the organs from hateful adults when a child needs a transplant
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I understand the parents fighting, and I don't blame them.

But the court made the wrong decision getting involved.

Prayer to the god that gave her cystic fibrosis..
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#9]
There is no winning with emotions on this one no matter how much logic is presented
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

pure class you are

I dont think you got it
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Is it established that the lungs that the child received would have been used by someone else?

Depending on tissue-typing, many times organs from donors who just died are not a match for anyone who needs one at that time.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:44:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

pure class you are

And the people who died when a former Governor jumped the line for his transplant?

Well those suckers just need a better PR departmentcable news show of their own
 sorry, could'nt help myself...

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it established that the lungs that the child received would have been used by someone else?

Depending on tissue-typing, many times organs from donors who just died are not a match for anyone who needs one at that time.

I think the fact that she was sent to "the top of the list" indicated that others were in line for them. I find it somewhat hard to believe that it would go unmentioned that the set she received couldn't be used by anyone so they were rolling the dice with a clear conscience.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, they would have
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We should just take the organs from hateful adults when a child needs a transplant
You have no clue of the facts of the case.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This girl would died without the lungs and you call it "emotional bullshit". Think about that!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This girl would died without the lungs and you call it "emotional bullshit". Think about that!!
The girl got adult lungs (never done before and was a 1 in 1,000,000 chance it would work), a ticket to the front of the line, and they have had to throw away a viable set of lungs already.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The girl got adult lungs (never done before and was a 1 in 1,000,000 chance it would work), a ticket to the front of the line, and they have had to throw away a viable set of lungs already.

Yes and that is a chance to save a child
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This too.  

Except the people on the list do not.

Picking is already hard enough without adding in 'save my baby' whining to the general public who have no good concept of the odds and costs (one of which is that by choosing one person you deny another).

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#20]
This is the part of this story that is troubling to me........It is also the part that isn't being talked about in the media......

"I think this very clearly illustrates that the decision needs to be scientific and medical, rather than judicial," said Lawrence O. Gostin, a health law professor at Georgetown University who questioned the legal basis of the rulings. "UNOS was under pressure from the publicity surrounding this case and the court's decision. It is highly unusual to get two transplants within days."
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

False.

How old is your daughter?  You mean you would let her die when the doctors told you she could receive a transplant but a rule by HHS wouldn't even allow her to have a shot?  

"My baby dint do nuffin!! My family is always right!!!!!"

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Prayers sent for a positive outcome and a long, healthy life for that little girl.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you never have to go thru what this family has to.

Deleted the rest, cause it's not worth it.

Actually,  most of us have or will.   Some of us handle it well and others do not.  

Many to most today are self centered and selfish.

Heck,  half the people don't pay federal income taxes.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you choose to save a child who would live at most 10 more years, or an adult who would live 4x times that?
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you choose to save a child who would live at most 10 more years, or an adult who would live 4x times that?

Sure and why not just exterminate all disabled people so they don't use up resources that productive people could use? Who else has used this logic???
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes, life should be fair.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sure and why not just exterminate all disabled people so they don't use up resources that productive people could use? Who else has used this logic???

You didnt answer my question.  This situation happens everyday.  These doctors have one set of viable lungs and multiple patients waiting for them.  Would you choose the child who may only live another 10 years at best, or the adult who would live a full life?
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

There is a difference between exterminating people and providing extremely expensive and scarce care to everyone. There isn't enough currency in the world to buy everyone the top level of care available today. We are all going to die, enjoy every sandwich.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Prayers sent for a positive outcome and a long, healthy life for that little girl.

Prayers sent for no more political theatre and line-jumping in medical matters.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#30]
She shouldn't have had the first transplant. The fact that she's getting a second one is a disgrace.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A child -- e.g. someone who is economically worth much less than a young adult and also has less of a survival chance per the medical professionals that made the transplant rules...

Only liberals are supposed to use 'calls to emotion' in their arguments.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I dont know about that....I think the lungs came from a dead person already unless you mean someone else not getting the second set of lungs..
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There isn't enough currency in the world to buy everyone the top level of care available today.

Only elected officials and other 'key resources'

The Bernank' printing presses are busy taking care of Wall Street, ain't got no time fo this medical care for other folk*

*unless politically expedient

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There isn't enough currency in the world to buy everyone the top level of care available today.

The Bernank' printing presses are busy taking care of Wall Street, ain't got no time fo this medical care for other folk*

<<<<<<<<<<<<  DU is that way
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
She shouldn't have had the first transplant. The fact that she's getting a second one is a disgrace.

Toomey et al should donate organs to the others who got passed over for their political grand-standing.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/302405-sen-toomey-asks-sebelius-to-approve-lung-transparent-for-pa-child

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know about that....I think the lungs came from a dead person already unless you mean someone else not getting the second set of lungs..

That's what he meant-and I misheard the first time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Re-read and try to comprehend before your start tossing brickbats, Francis.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you never have to go thru what this family has to.

Deleted the rest, cause it's not worth it.

He is talking about more viable candidates on the transplant list that lost out.  

I hope you deleted the rest because it made no fucking sense.

This.  The courts should never have been involved in this.  Just because someone donated their organs doesn't mean the organs should be used foolishly.  

I have kids and I pray for that little girl but this is a perfect example of why government should stay out of health care decisions.

I agree.

Let family sell the organs of their deceased loved ones to whomever they will.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
As a father I would have fought tooth and nail for my daughter.

Right or wrong, I would have done the same thing.

When my son was ten, I would have strangled that little girl with my bare hands to save his life.  So what?  All that means is that parents act emotionally and medical decisions should be made rationally.  That said, the real villains here are the media - in all likelihood they effectively killed two people for ratings.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I comprehend just fine.  Work harder and maybe you can afford some decent medical care too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I comprehend just fine.  Work harder and maybe you can afford some decent medical care too.

No, you completely missed the point...
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:19:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I design medical equipment for a living. Lovely medical plan. Also have real world honest to gosh medical experience. EE and medical certifications.

Mostly saves. One loss. Everyone from first on scene (me) to the tertiary care facility to the Medevac guys to the trauma team at Children's did everything humanly possible.

You?

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

False.

First, I raised ONE child, and only one.   Though I was an Army officer and set aside reasonable assets, that is all I thought I could reasonably handle.

I have walked my child through many challenges, from infant through young adulthood.    His mother was not so graceful in those same situations.    

People die.  (As a combat medic, I know this very well.)   Some are very unhealthy.   Postponing the inevitable does no on any good, accept to make some feel a little better for a little while.

Nevertheless, I do realize more people have issues being reasonable and responsible when raising female children.     Sometime,  Just read the stupid  comment s posted  regarding guys dating their daughters.   Craziness.    Reality is that all one has to do is raise a girl to respect and admire men, not boys.   Then, if a female  gives a creepy boy the time of day, disown her.   Seriously.   IF one decides to become trash and be with trash, parents do not have to endorse it.   Yet,  parents can't seem to do that, especially with female children.

I have lost plenty of people.   I my fathers in Jan 2000 and in May 2012.    I handled each extremely well.    

Yes, I have my family's back.    But, I am not a selfish and emotional idiot.

Unfortunately, I am of a dwindling number in what was once an exceptional society.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Kid threads always bring out the White-Knighting.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#45]
So now that the rules are changed. How many sets does she get? 2, 3?

This is what most DR's said would happen. We were lied too after and told how great she was doing. In reality EXACTLY what people said would happen did.

And as usual the media chose the story to tell, facts be dammed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define hateful.    I know hateful and reasonable are not necessarily related.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
There is no winning with emotions on this one no matter how much logic is presented

Most assuredly true.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I design medical equipment for a living. Lovely medical plan. Also have real world honest to gosh medical experience. EE and medical certifications.

Mostly saves. One loss. Everyone from first on scene (me) to the tertiary care facility to the Medevac guys to the trauma team at Children's did everything humanly possible.

You?

I could guess at what you're attempting to say through that horribly written paragraph but I won't...
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Kid threads always bring out the White-Knighting.

Kid anything always brings out political expediency.

Our representatives will do anything, and I mean anything to save their own skins and careers.

How many officials would pull a Johnny Iselin today? I'm guessin 98-99%

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#50]
i think the question should be asked, did it fail because they used adult organs in child? Would the lungs been better used on an adult??
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top