Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#1]
At 50kpsi and ~350ftlb, I don't think this is going to work for LCP sized guns, so it really isn't a .380 competitor.  Notice that S&W is showing it in the shield/shield-ez, not the bodyguard.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:07:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The whole benefit of 380 over 9mm is that it’s a shorter OAL and will fit in a smaller gun. This thing looks like it’s even a bit longer than 9mm, so it won’t fit in any of the 380 pocket pistols. A couple more rounds is nice and all but at this point there’s so much momentum behind 9mm it’s not like they’re going to supplant it as the go-to defensive cartridge.

I’ll also point out it’s not large enough to use for USPSA, so it won’t even be adopted as a gaming cartridge to try to get a few more rounds in your paper punching gun
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#3]
From Primerpeak.com

30 Super Carry Specs
New material from Federal has given us more insight into the performance of 30 Super Carry. Currently Federal lists their 100gr HST loading as providing 1250FPS, along with 347FT-LBS of energy, falling just 17FT-LBS short of their 124gr 9mm loading. The same 100gr load is claimed to gain roughly 15.5 inches of penetration with .530 inches of expansion in ballistics gel with a heavy clothing barrier. This exceeds Federal's quoted number of 14.5 inches of penetration for the previously mentioned 9mm HST.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At 50kpsi and ~350ftlb, I don't think this is going to work for LCP sized guns, so it really isn't a .380 competitor.  Notice that S&W is showing it in the shield/shield-ez, not the bodyguard.
View Quote

It isn’t a 380 competitor because it’s at least as long as 9mm
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:19:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm and .380 are so close in length that the size of the cartridge makes no real difference.  The problem is building such a small and light gun that can handle the pressure and recoil of 9mm.  If that wasn't the problem, .380 +p+ that matches/beats 9x19mm standard pressure would be a thing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:33:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has my interest.... but a 1911 and a shitbox S&E EZ are not the guns I want it in.
View Quote

The Shield Plus would be the most compelling option so far. We know that holds 10+1 and 13+1 in 9mm, so this could hold 15+ rounds in a gun the size of an original Shield.

I'd expect Sig, Ruger, and maybe Springfield to get involved fairly early. Glock and HK are going to resist joining the fun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm interested and might try it someday when it comes out.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Would someone mind posting where we got this 50k PSI number from?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm very curious about the potential in this thing but I'm not about to run out and ditch my existing stable of 9x19s for these. Not just yet anyway.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The whole benefit of 380 over 9mm is that it’s a shorter OAL and will fit in a smaller gun. This thing looks like it’s even a bit longer than 9mm, so it won’t fit in any of the 380 pocket pistols. A couple more rounds is nice and all but at this point there’s so much momentum behind 9mm it’s not like they’re going to supplant it as the go-to defensive cartridge.

I’ll also point out it’s not large enough to use for USPSA, so it won’t even be adopted as a gaming cartridge to try to get a few more rounds in your paper punching gun
View Quote

The OAL in the specs on the previous page show this round is 1.169". That's exactly the same as 9mm.

The .380 is only .185" shorter than these two. That's not really the advantage of the round. It has ~40% less pressure/energy than 9mm making it easier to put in the sort of tiny blowback guns it's traditionally been found in. It's also easier to shoot.

Now that we've seen a big proliferation in little pistols using the Browning system, it might be interesting to see where they draw the line with this cartridge.

Quoted:

9mm and .380 are so close in length that the size of the cartridge makes no real difference.  The problem is building such a small and light gun that can handle the pressure and recoil of 9mm.  If that wasn't the problem, .380 +p+ that matches/beats 9x19mm standard pressure would be a thing.
View Quote

Read what you just wrote and think about it. lol

Generally speaking, the industry is never going to make a super hot version of a common old cartridge without changing the dimensions of that cartridge because they don't want to blow guns up. This is the reason why .357mag exists. The original .357mag loads were just really hot .38spls loaded up for N-frames. They extended the case 1/8" and changed the name for factory loads so it couldn't be fed to .38spl firearms.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:57:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Published here first.
https://eb-misfit.blogspot.com/2022/01/8mm-or-30-super-carry.html

I guess the chart is leaked from Hornady?

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:58:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Glockenspiel announce the G87 for this caliber yet?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 1:18:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Since the capacity is 10 instead of 8, I am going with this is a new fad caliber that's basically a .32ACP but rimless and loaded to higher pressure.

I will laugh my ass off it it turns out to be 7.6520mm Longue.

View Quote

That's exactly what I'm suspecting it is.  I had this idea myself a year ago as a one-off glock or something I could cobble up just to see how many more rounds I could get in a standard magazine.  The math led me to believe not as many as I was hoping.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 2:31:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Right to left: .30 Pedersen, .30-18 Browning, 7.65x20mm French Longue, .32 ACP, 9x19mm Parabellum.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 2:36:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
IF  (and this is a massive if):

...a major manufacturer has developed a round that reliably meets the FBI protocol AND has a smaller case diameter than 9X19, it's a very, very big deal.
View Quote

I totally agree. Along with less recoil and more rounds on board.... this could be huge...
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:00:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I want the conversion kit (barrel and mags) for my P365
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:05:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Eta Gonna be a handful if it's in a tiny little gun
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:24:17 AM EDT
[#18]

So it’s 7.65 Para but without the bottleneck?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:58:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Federal's site for it:  https://www.federalpremium.com/30supercarry.html

Quoted:

That would be a BIG deal.  Actually, that 9mm can now reliably pass the FBI protocol is a BIG deal.  That is a recent (less than 5 years ago) development.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...a major manufacturer has developed a round that reliably meets the FBI protocol AND has a smaller case diameter than 9X19, it's a very, very big deal.

That would be a BIG deal.  Actually, that 9mm can now reliably pass the FBI protocol is a BIG deal.  That is a recent (less than 5 years ago) development.

5 years?  Rounds such as the 124gr+P Gold Dots have been around for about 20 years now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:07:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I totally agree. Along with less recoil and more rounds on board.... this could be huge...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh…Still not seeing it yet. Not saying you’re wrong but I don’t buy this as the 9mm killer y’all seem to be seeing
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 5:52:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Yawn..... why don't the gunmakers just fill the Hellcat and Sig365 with 21 rounds of 22mag already. No recoil, fast sight recovery, and the woman's hands will stay looking prettier.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#23]
If the boxes are marked 8mm, gun shops will finally have ammo to sell to the gang bangers who show up with blank-firing guns. 8mm is traditionally a blank cartridge.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I could see gun gamers adopting this. +2 Capacity with a cartridge they can load down for 2 Gun or 3 Gun or up to make major for USPSA with less worry about blowing your gun up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#25]
This will be even more popular than 45GAP!
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

All of this.

The capacity gains we could see in handguns could be pretty crazy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this.

The capacity gains we could see in handguns could be pretty crazy.

This has to be the idea. This was developed after seeing the popularity of all the new high-cap micro carry guns. Now they can try to sell them to you all over again with even higher capacity. If the round performs alright (and seeing an HST loading gives me hope) and they can produce it at a reasonable price they’ll have a huge hit with booms in both ammo and gun sales.

I doubt it goes anywhere though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The Shield Plus would be the most compelling option so far. We know that holds 10+1 and 13+1 in 9mm, so this could hold 15+ rounds in a gun the size of an original Shield.

I'd expect Sig, Ruger, and maybe Springfield to get involved fairly early. Glock and HK are going to resist joining the fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has my interest.... but a 1911 and a shitbox S&E EZ are not the guns I want it in.

Glock will release theirs a decade late and somehow it’ll be slightly bigger than competition yet hold one less round.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've always wondered about a modernized 7.62x20 Longue, running modern powder at what would be considered +P+ pressures from compressed loads.

Of course, the ammo would have to be labeled "Ruger only."

Kharn
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This could actually be a pretty cool development. With the smaller case diameter, gaining a few rounds capacity over 380 and possibly beating it ballistically could be a nice improvement.

I've always thought 380 was a stupid round, being the same diameter as 9mm and just a tad shorter, but a much weaker cartridge. It just never made much sense to me.  This round could make up the difference.
View Quote

.380 made sense in that it was the higher levels of power that could be loaded into a direct blowback pistol.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#30]
If it's real it's kind of cool.  It seems like a LOT people gravitate towards 9mm because of capacity and lower recoil so this should be even better on both accounts.  Sure the bullet is smaller but that shouldn't matter what with all the popular coping tropes like "all handguns suck"  or "there's no difference between 9/40/45", right?  If a person chooses to carry what they shoot best, that's always going to favor the lowest recoiling setup that still performs "acceptably" so maybe this could work.  Perhaps not the best timing for it but then again, with the endless introduction of small micro 9mm's it's kind of fresh to see something that isn't,well, a 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Dang. What a waste.  .30 at 1200 is better than .35 at 1250?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if this is some new wonder round being introduced at SHOT show and a few retailers jumped the gun.

Found something saying the 100 grain ammo runs around 1200fps... so basically it's a smaller diameter 9mm... and for what?

Person hit won't know the difference.

That's the point. We've accepted the fact that there is no practical difference between 9mm and .45acp.

Round count tends to win gunfights.

So, if you can have a round that is "good enough" and jam more of them in the same size pistol....that is a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a thread about a year ago about my idea of a .30 carbine kurz and getting more rounds in a pistol.

A member had a program that predicts potential ballistics given parameters, input. It said I couldn't get what I was looking for, so I kind of dropped the idea.

Was looking for a .311 100gr XTP @1300fps. I would be comfortable carrying such a round
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Doesn't need to be a solid copper HP, and is probably more legal if its not to stay under the 25% jacket weight catch all.  I had no problem going through every soft panel I tested with nickel rod in drilled out 90 grain XTPs in .380, and could shoot through two IIIa panels, 4" of clay, and multiple water jugs in 9mm. There's an old thread lost in the archives somewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, might be able to squeeze 90 grains at 1400 out of that, maybe.

The right bullet (monolithic HP maybe?) could make that a very big deal.

You can take a copper solid hp  then drill it out and and put a nickel core (from welding rods) and it's not technically illegal, but it makes a darn fine ap round

Doesn't need to be a solid copper HP, and is probably more legal if its not to stay under the 25% jacket weight catch all.  I had no problem going through every soft panel I tested with nickel rod in drilled out 90 grain XTPs in .380, and could shoot through two IIIa panels, 4" of clay, and multiple water jugs in 9mm. There's an old thread lost in the archives somewhere.

I believe all AP laws are BS.

But, iirc, anything harder than copper in a pistol round is verboten.

The finagled their way around ss109/m855 in AR pistols because of some wording minutiae in the law.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Hard no thank you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I had a thread about a year ago about my idea of a .30 carbine kurz and getting more rounds in a pistol.

A member had a program that predicts potential ballistics given parameters, input. It said I couldn't get what I was looking for, so I kind of dropped the idea.

Was looking for a .311 100gr XTP @1300fps. I would be comfortable carrying such a round
View Quote

Lots of us have been saying basically the same thing for a long time.

Now that I have seen the 50k psi, I agree that it won’t likely won’t work in an lcp max type gun, which sucks. But for the 365 sized guns, I think this has utility still.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Capacity increase would be my guess.  Imagine a full size gun with a 22-24rd flush mag, or a PCC with 46-50.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if this is some new wonder round being introduced at SHOT show and a few retailers jumped the gun.

Found something saying the 100 grain ammo runs around 1200fps... so basically it's a smaller diameter 9mm... and for what?

Capacity increase would be my guess.  Imagine a full size gun with a 22-24rd flush mag, or a PCC with 46-50.

Now that could be interesting. The single stack seems utterly pointless to me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#37]
If I just keep my Kahr with 8 rounds of 9mm can I still hang out with the cool kids?

Social status is important if you want to talk tough at the gunshop counter.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And 50-70 rounds in a pdw-type weapon....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Base diameters:
9x19 - .391"
.380acp - .374"
7.65x20 - .336"

Basically, we're looking at a cartridge that's ~15% smaller in diameter than 9mm. Given that the standard Shield EZ 380 holds 8 rounds and this one apparently holds 10, that tracks.

Now imagine roughly...

18 rounds in a G19
13 rounds in a P365
21 rounds in a G17 or Beretta 92
8 rounds in a G42
12 rounds in a LCP Max

All with flush fit mags.

This could get fun.

And 50-70 rounds in a pdw-type weapon....

And it would work with your standard 30 caliber can.

Yep, I'm warming up to this a little. I won't buy one right away, but it's definitely interesting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's the point. We've accepted the fact that there is no practical difference between 9mm and .45acp.

So, if you can have a round that is "good enough" and jam more of them in the same size pistol....that is a good thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hits win gun fights, round count increases the chance of a hit.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Does not really do all that much better than 9mm. Wonder what the street price of the ammunition will be?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#41]
HATERS GONNA HATE.

It'll be the perfect BUG to my .356 TSW.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I'm suspecting it is.  I had this idea myself a year ago as a one-off glock or something I could cobble up just to see how many more rounds I could get in a standard magazine.  The math led me to believe not as many as I was hoping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since the capacity is 10 instead of 8, I am going with this is a new fad caliber that's basically a .32ACP but rimless and loaded to higher pressure.

I will laugh my ass off it it turns out to be 7.6520mm Longue.

Yep. That was another thing that I figured out thanks to another poster using simple math to show my thinking was wrong.

I had area in my head and how small the area of .30 compared to .355 is.

But that isn't reality. Reality is column stack of .30 vs .35 (actually case diameter, but you get the idea). You just don't get that many more.

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Now that I have seen the 50k psi, I agree that it won’t likely won’t work in an lcp max type gun, which sucks. But for the 365 sized guns, I think this has utility still.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Glock 43X with 18-20 8mm with the same momentum as 115grn 9mm?
Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Now that could be interesting. The single stack seems utterly pointless to me.
View Quote
Which is why releasing it in a 1911 and a shitbox S&W EZ doesn't interest me. They're both single stacks. At least if it was going to be a single stack gun. Do it in something classy like a Beretta 86.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
HATERS GONNA HATE.

It'll be the perfect BUG to my .356 TSW.
View Quote
I <3 .356 TSW.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#46]

Oh ok, so let's compare our new cartridge to the underdog 380 to show its superiority, while 9MM still makes bigger holes at similar velocity.

Meanwhile, in the rush to buy the new 30 Super Carry, the sheeple leave more of my favorite calibers on the shelf. Winning.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#47]
I like it.

Will buy. I hope they do a full size M&P with a thinner than 9mm frame and slide but a capacity around 24 or so rounds.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#48]
And yet capitalist fools 7.62 Tokarev too long ignoring.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
And yet capitalist fools 7.62 Tokarev too long ignoring.
View Quote
.30 Super Carry is something you won't have to worry about. It appears to be marketed in carry guns, guns that are too short to legally sell in Canada.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So it’s 7.65 Para but without the bottleneck?
View Quote

In a totally backwards way from what we usually mean by without a bottleneck, yes.

Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top