Quoted:

Not .30 Federal Automatic Gun?

View Quote
I'm kind of interested, but thats funny
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is one of my favorite pistols. It’s slim,soft shooting and accurate.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/kerpow/.highres/ED70BF67-B482-4864-A91D-949294E7909C.jpg

An improved version of the round certainly has me interested.
View Quote

Okay, but what is it
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]

So there selling point is it’s the first caliber designed for the CC market! What a crock
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So there selling point is it’s the first caliber designed for the CC market! What a crock
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Buy it! A fat man in flannel said so.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Okay, but what is it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/kerpow/.highres/ED70BF67-B482-4864-A91D-949294E7909C.jpg

Okay, but what is it

MAC 1935S.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a fat man in flannel well not right now but most of the time hahaha and I don’t think so. I’m not saying they won’t sell I’m sure they will to the target audience in droves especially if they ran the line and got pallets of ammo ready to ship with guns. I just can’t fathom why when they can’t meet current ammo demands of the most popular calibers why they’d add new ones.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am a fat man in flannel well not right now but most of the time hahaha and I don’t think so. I’m not saying they won’t sell I’m sure they will to the target audience in droves especially if they ran the line and got pallets of ammo ready to ship with guns. I just can’t fathom why when they can’t meet current ammo demands of the most popular calibers why they’d add new ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because 9mm is $17/50 and this new stuff will be $25/20?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Student: "What's it for?"
Jeff Cooper: "It's for sale, of course!"
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arf used to talk and talk and talk about Jim Gillian’s and loved him when he wore green.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#10]
.32 Federal Action Pistol

For when you’re alone at the range.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Arf used to talk and talk and talk about Jim Gillian’s and loved him when he wore green.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who?

Is the guy in the video someone important?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Who?

Is the guy in the video someone important?
View Quote

No, but he killed someone from fair distance and the nuthuggers came out.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

That works

What lube for .32FAP?
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Vista would rather waste primers on this than let them hit the reloader market at any price.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Ghey
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://youtu.be/fGHxrE9HXBs
View Quote

Overpriced 1911 and a flannel-adorned beer gut in the first ten seconds…Pass
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is so dumb. I just drove from Missouri to New Mexico and back this week stopping at gun shops, bass pro, cabelas, and so on. Aside from some 9mm and .40 the pistol ammo shelf's were empty. I can not recall the last time I walked in somewhere and saw a 50 round box of .357 magnum. But now all of the sudden federal wants to come out with this new cartridge? Jesus.
View Quote
The idea of the cartridge is good. The timing and name is horrible.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
That commercial had me go:

Again, using a 1911 as a launch platform this cartridge is a BAD IDEA.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bring back the .356 TSW
View Quote
YES!
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Okay, but what is it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is one of my favorite pistols. It's slim,soft shooting and accurate.

Okay, but what is it
7.6520mm Longue
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Actually, I am looking at a Cartridges Of the World book right now and it states the factory load of the 7.65 French longue has an 85 Grain bullet that has a muzzle velocity of 1150 FPS. So if S&W decided to develop this round as a close relative to 30 Peterson (AKA 7.65 French Longue), then ballistics would be the same, if not enhanced due to powder developments over the past century...
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The guns they are introducing it in suck. They should be selling a Glock 48 in this caliber.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah that video was a bit cringey for sure but I'm certain many will be entertained by exploded cabbages and milk jugs.   Overall I think it's a solid idea, I see no issue with the name, it certainly could have been worse.  If they can keep practice ammo somewhere between 9mm and 380 price wise it may do okay, which would be about $20/50rds, it needs to be affordable to some degree or nobody will buy it, that and Glock, Springfield, SIG and Ruger need to adopt it.  

I do find it odd they're showcasing a Nighthawk 1911 chambered in it though,  who the hell is going to buy a pricey ass Nighthawk 1911 in a 30 SC, that's a stretch for a cartridge designed for people who largely aren't about to buy such a gun.  Whether it does well or not is yet to be seen and honestly the odds are stacked against it,  but performance wise it should be adequate.  I'd buy one if the right gun comes along.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/0c96c781a5e6260d0827848aec47d205-381.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1500 pistol in a $15 holster
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Actually, I am looking at a Cartridges Of the World book right now and it states the factory load of the 7.65 French longue has an 85 Grain bullet that has a muzzle velocity of 1150 FPS. So if S&W decided to develop this round as a close relative to 30 Peterson (AKA 7.65 French Longue), then ballistics would be the same, if not enhanced due to powder developments over the past century...
View Quote

If you take a cartridge and run ammunition at double the pressure you'll either destroy the gun, or end up wearing it on your face.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wonder if this is some new wonder round being introduced at SHOT show and a few retailers jumped the gun.

Found something saying the 100 grain ammo runs around 1200fps... so basically it's a smaller diameter 9mm... and for what?
View Quote

The answer to a question that nobody was asking.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

100g @ 1129fps per flannel video = not enhanced
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

100g @ 1129fps per flannel video = not enhanced
View Quote
@ 50 yards, which isn't bad and suggests north of 1200 fps muzzle.  Not bad for a relatively long bullet in a case notably smaller than 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#30]
If they are going to introduce a new cartridge, it should be really new.  Like polymer cases so they can sell ball ammo for 15 cents a round.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right!  I’d be interested in compact or subcompact gun maybe
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@ 50 yards, which isn't bad and suggests north of 1200 fps muzzle.  Not bad for a relatively long bullet in a case notably smaller than 9mm.
View Quote

Kick it up to 1,650 and it will be major power factor [do not attempt ]

1250 would just make minor.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’ll do neither, because it doesn’t meet minimum case dimensions or bullet diameter for any division including Open
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It’ll do neither, because it doesn’t meet minimum case dimensions or bullet diameter for any division including Open
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and so with no plausible use in competition, no proven history in defensive use, no inventory of guns or ammo on any shelf anywhere, sales will languish.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is so dumb. I just drove from Missouri to New Mexico and back this week stopping at gun shops, bass pro, cabelas, and so on. Aside from some 9mm and .40 the pistol ammo shelf's were empty. I can not recall the last time I walked in somewhere and saw a 50 round box of .357 magnum. But now all of the sudden federal wants to come out with this new cartridge? Jesus.

I thought the ammo panic was over?  It’s been normal stock around here for months.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If they are going to introduce a new cartridge, it should be really new.  Like polymer cases so they can sell ball ammo for 15 cents a round.
View Quote

Or caseless.  Materials science has advanced a whole lot since HK tried it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I love the idea of this cartridge. I already like the .30 Luger, this is basically that with a form factor allowing for higher capacity. Win/win.

From a marketing standpoint, I don't know that this will pan out.

The launch platform should've been a full size double stack they could cram at least 20 rounds into. Maybe even use a double-stack double-feed mag like the old Steyr GB.
Getting into numbers starting with "2" would cross a mental barrier where it sounds like a huge capacity. Yes, even though going from 17 to 20rds is less of a % increase than from 10 to 12 and less likely to matter in a fight. You just want to make people think "Say that again, it holds how many rounds in a pistol?".

Also, DON'T say "it's not designed for police or military". That's literally the opposite of effective marketing in this industry.
Instead say it's a project designed for the most elite special forces and fighter pilots to give them a handgun with firepower approximating a PDW. It doesn't matter if any .mil has expressed interest, just say you're shopping it around and can't talk about the details.

If your flagship product is a Shield EZ you are going to get mentally filed away as "that weak caliber for grandmas", which is a decent niche, but maybe not a big enough one to sustain a whole caliber. If your flagship product is something Billy Badass can call a "weapons system" or a "platform", you can still easily expand into the Shield EZ space without being boxed in there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:The answer to a question that nobody was asking.
View Quote

Yeah…I think that was brought up on the first page or two…
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Tinfoil hat time:

Vista Outdoors (parent company of Federal) is a left leaning company. Wanna know why Savage dropped the Indian head logo?

So get this...Vista owns a good chunk of ammuniton manufacturing in the US. Vista may also have an inkling that some sort of ammo restriction is likely during this administration. Similar to what is seen in Europe and South America in regards to civilians owning weapons chambered in 'military and police' cartridges.

The promo video placed a lot of emphasis on this cartridge not being a military or police developed cartridge.

Vista is putting themselves in a position to profit in the face of gun control.

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I love the idea of this cartridge. I already like the .30 Luger, this is basically that with a form factor allowing for higher capacity. Win/win.

From a marketing standpoint, I don't know that this will pan out.

The launch platform should've been a full size double stack they could cram at least 20 rounds into. Maybe even use a double-stack double-feed mag like the old Steyr GB.
Getting into numbers starting with "2" would cross a mental barrier where it sounds like a huge capacity. Yes, even though going from 17 to 20rds is less of a % increase than from 10 to 12 and less likely to matter in a fight. You just want to make people think "Say that again, it holds how many rounds in a pistol?".

Also, DON'T say "it's not designed for police or military". That's literally the opposite of effective marketing in this industry.
Instead say it's a project designed for the most elite special forces and fighter pilots to give them a handgun with firepower approximating a PDW. It doesn't matter if any .mil has expressed interest, just say you're shopping it around and can't talk about the details.

If your flagship product is a Shield EZ you are going to get mentally filed away as "that weak caliber for grandmas", which is a decent niche, but maybe not a big enough one to sustain a whole caliber. If your flagship product is something Billy Badass can call a "weapons system" or a "platform", you can still easily expand into the Shield EZ space without being boxed in there.
View Quote
Good points, I agree.  I like the idea of it but not sure the marketing (at least as of yet) is helping it.  Maybe they'll step up their game as most people still know nothing about it.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tinfoil hat time:

Vista Outdoors (parent company of Federal) is a left leaning company. Wanna know why Savage dropped the Indian head logo?

So get this...Vista owns a good chunk of ammuniton manufacturing in the US. Vista may also have an inkling that some sort of ammo restriction is likely during this administration. Similar to what is seen in Europe and South America in regards to civilians owning weapons chambered in 'military and police' cartridges.

The promo video placed a lot of emphasis on this cartridge not being a military or police developed cartridge.

As
View Quote
As one who frequently dons a tinfoil hat, that's pretty interesting.  I clearly hope we don't see any kind of ammo restrictions but I wouldn't put it past our benevolent govt. to try something.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Tinfoil hat time:

View Quote
That was my first feeling
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Tinfoil hat time:

View Quote

I would maybe take a deep breath on that one.  

1: there are already so many rounds of 9mm and 5.56 in circulation, plus dies and brass, that any ban would be meaningless and harder to enforce than “it’s only an SBR if you put the brace against your shoulder.”
2: even lots of the countries that had prohibited “military” cartridges for the civilian market have done away with those restrictions by this point.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tinfoil hat time:

Its the next lowest hanging fruit for gun control.

Nobody needs military calibers, keep your guns but keep dangerous baby killing rounds out of civilian hands.

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

USPSA power factor is dumb and is only still a thing because it’s become entrenched in the culture of the game.

It should have been ditched the second that Jeff Cooper had the dirt poured over him.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Ya know, If the French had decided to magnumize this round, which this pistol's quality is certainly capable of taking, they would have had the same round back in the early 30's....The same with the old Spanish Super "b" series....

They had what was essentially the 9x23 Winchester magnum (38 super comp) and detuned it... But even today, those Star Super B's are easily capable of taking the hot 9x23 round and handling it with a spring upgrade.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The guns they are introducing it in suck. They should be selling a Glock 48 in this caliber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guns are absolutely horrible. At least a S&W Shield Plus would have been a much better option. But a 1911 of all things is the worst. And I actually do like and own 1911s, even 9mm ones.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The guns are absolutely horrible. At least a S&W Shield Plus would have been a much better option. But a 1911 of all things is the worst. And I actually do like and own 1911s, even 9mm ones.
View Quote

If they had an MP7 in this caliber I suspect ARF would have had a simultaneous orgasm.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#49]
The gun control that's written and waiting for a winnable vote includes mag cap limits.

Yet they're pushing this based first on mag cap advantage.

Seems like a good sign, if anything.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

USPSA power factor is dumb and is only still a thing because it’s become entrenched in the culture of the game.

It should have been ditched the second that Jeff Cooper had the dirt poured over him.
View Quote

Sir, we are in agreement.

Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top