LIVE: Kilauea fissure eruption, massive lava geyser - Hawaii
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Fo Rooster heard on the live feed
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it me or does this eruption look like it is getting worse and not subsiding?
View Quote
Agreed! was bound to happen sooner or later.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's an Assassi Triggerfish from the Red Sea. The Hawaiian state fish is a Humu Humu Triggerfish (shockingly named.) Somewhere along the line every Rhinecanthus triggerfish got labeled as the Hawaiian state fish though. I use to kieep quite a few different triggerfish, the humu humu is one of my all time fav's.
http://www.ullasaquarium.com/images/Hires/Humu%20Picasso%20Triggerfish-H.JPG
View Quote
fish are not raciest here.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Same shot but wider angle..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAZKIDok3gg

Youtube live and FB live always have something streaming from chaser type people.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cool so they do have an idea of what is going on underground.
View Quote
Yeah, they have a pretty good 3d map of the magma chambers.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

fish are not raciest here.
*snip*
View Quote
Those guys look awesome. Only have had an Odonus Niger, they get big!
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
The live streams a few posts up are amazing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
HI Civil Defense update:

Hawaii Volcano Eruption Update - Friday Morning (May 18, 2018)
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New lava geyser from #20!!!

LIVE!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9PcgTQDJSc
Nice find!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9PcgTQDJSc
Been watching it for the last hour.

Mesmerising.

Rivers and fountains of lava, explosions.......the height of some of those fountains is quite deceptive.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Been watching it for the last hour.

Mesmerising.

Rivers and fountains of lava, explosions.......the height of some of those fountains is quite deceptive.
View Quote
yeah I have it up on one of my screens at work just playing in the background.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#14]
That live feed is insane. The lava is spewing what, 100' into the air? More? And so far the house hasn't burst into flame. Good thing they have a metal roof!
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That live feed is insane. The lava is spewing what, 100' into the air? More? And so far the house hasn't burst into flame. Good thing they have a metal roof!
View Quote
It is not as close as it looks... the telephoto zoom creates a compression of the image.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I've only got pics from the Eastern reaches of the fissures.  I'm most curious about what happened over night at fissure 21 on Hookupu st... and also precisely where fissure 22 is.  it's between 19 and 20... but there's a fair distance between those...

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Got an overflight vid.

https://vimeo.com/270773299

Unfortunately it only shows the area F21 is in from a wide view... screen shot:

More pictures here: Album

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#18]
earlier live stream went down.  Here's another one.

Kilauea Lava Flow Activity In Lower Puna May 19, 2018
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#19]
that lava geyser from fissure 17 is building hills around itself.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
that lava geyser from fissure 17 is building hills around itself.
View Quote
Yea, it was cool on the live stream.

You could rewind several hours, then skip every 20 min or so and watch them grow.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Seismic levels, which abruptly decreased after explosive eruptions on Wednesday night and early Thursday morning, are slowly increasing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Seismic levels, which abruptly decreased after explosive eruptions on Wednesday night and early Thursday morning, are slowly increasing.
View Quote
It seems to be truly happening, now.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hawaii? or the whole World?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, Hawaii. In this case.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Is that another fissure to the right of the fountain?  Something's putting out a lot of gas of some sort and bursting, throwing rocks and such and making corresponding explosive sounds.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it does seem to be happening
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is that another fissure to the right of the fountain?  Something's putting out a lot of gas of some sort and bursting, throwing rocks and such and making corresponding explosive sounds.
View Quote
Same fissure... 17 is a long fissure with lava and explosive events all along its length.

Also new map updated... and dang the flow from fissure 18 has gone a long way south east.

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Hidden below a massive sea of jagged lava rock near Shoshone Idaho is a 1,000 foot long lava tube with ice up to 30 feet thick. Even in the heat of summer, the ice remains permanently frozen, maintaining a temperature between 24 to 32 degrees year-round. Currently it is the largest volcanic cave in the world open to the public.

Link
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Any pictures showing the buildup of laba around 17 over time?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Watch this video @ around 45 seconds.

You can see the explosions from the chopper.

It's only a couple seconds, but I was wondering the same thing when I was watching the live stream.

Hawaii''s Kilauea volcano explodes, spewing ash in air
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hidden below a massive sea of jagged lava rock near Shoshone Idaho is a 1,000 foot long lava tube with ice up to 30 feet thick. Even in the heat of summer, the ice remains permanently frozen, maintaining a temperature between 24 to 32 degrees year-round. Currently it is the largest volcanic cave in the world open to the public.

Link
View Quote
That's awesome.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:25:01 AM EDT
[#32]
some new images from USGS.

Fissure 17

The flow from 18.

The flow from 15 across Pohoiki rd.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:48:25 AM EDT
[#33]
What is it that they are showing now on the live feed?  Some sort of river of faster moving lava, but I don't know what fissure this is from.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I watched the live feed all day. I have friends in Hilo and have been to this area. I am in awe of the whole thing. That geyser basically birthed a baby mountain today. Who knows how big it might get?

Aside from that, I can't stop singing Jimmy Buffett...
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:08:23 AM EDT
[#35]
The lava lake crater in the Kilauea crater in the Kilauea caldera has enlarged by 34 acres. Nearly doubled in area.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The lava lake crater in the Kilauea crater in the Kilauea caldera has enlarged by 34 acres. Nearly doubled in area.
View Quote
Are the crater walls eroding, or what?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:12:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Since this whole thing started I've been binging on volcanology and seismology. Anyone who has an interest and wants to get the skinny, should follow dutchsinse. Dude is all up in the shit, light years ahead of anyone else.

5/18/2018 -- Hawaii Volcanoes Update -- Earthquake strikes Dallas Texas as expected

He does these videos 2-3 times a day. 2200CT every day for sure.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:14:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Are the crater walls eroding, or what?
View Quote
Yep, that was what caused the bigabadaboom. 34 acres crumbled into the volcano. The link I posted has the 50 cent version of the story.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Some of you actually realize that Kure Atoll 1300+ Miles NW started where the hot spot is now..? Right.  400k+ years ago. The hot spot did not move. The Tectonic plate did !
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:32:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeppers. Yellowstone same same, except the hotspot is under a continent. The North American plate is moving about 3" WNW a year. Hotspots nutate, but they don't move.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:37:06 AM EDT
[#41]
I've learned more in two weeks on this topic from dutchsinse than all the classes I had to take and pay thousands in tuition for.

3/21/2017 -- "Bugout Bag" + Earthquake Preparation supplies -- What''s in my kit
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:39:31 AM EDT
[#42]
thermal map shows the changes around hookupu street.

Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:58:35 AM EDT
[#43]
There's a official report of lava crossing Pohoiki further South East near Malama Ki Pl.

The flow from fissure 18 is the only one I can think of that could do that.  That flow is booking it.

There might be people trapped between the 2 points where Pohoiki is crossed.  They're looking to get in there and check via helicopter.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:04:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There's a official report of lava crossing Pohoiki further South East near Malama Ki Pl.

The flow from fissure 18 is the only one I can think of that could do that.  That flow is booking it.

There might be people trapped between the 2 points where Pohoiki is crossed.  They're looking to get in there and check via helicopter.
View Quote
I've been wondering how well a track would get around some of that. An M113 or bradly could get closer and maybe cross in a few spots. I could be wrong since they aren't using anything like it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:08:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like it's raining over there now based on the feed.  The sounds made by the fissures is crazy.  Wish we could get some more views from time to time of the surrounding areas.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:10:38 AM EDT
[#46]
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38186017/new-fissure-opens-in-lower-puna-while-others-still-spewing-lava

4 people air lifted out of area threatened by fast-moving lava flow

At 7:30 p.m. Friday, Civil Defense officials said four people were safely evacuated by county and National Guard helicopters after Pohoiki Road was closed.

Those in the area are being asked to stay in the area and wait for further instructions.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:13:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've been wondering how well a track would get around some of that. An M113 or bradly could get closer and maybe cross in a few spots. I could be wrong since they aren't using anything like it.
View Quote
Does the army still have...damn alzheimers...Schofield barracks adjacent to Pearl? I mean to say, do they have any infantry mech there, anywhere on the islands?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:14:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Does the army still have...damn alzheimers...Schofield barracks adjacent to Pearl? I mean to say, do they have any infantry mech there, anywhere on the islands?
View Quote
Don't know but there should be some amtracks (AAV) around.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:14:52 AM EDT
[#49]
https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/status.html

Eruption of lava and ground cracking in the area of Leilani Estates subdivision continues. Late this afternoon, a fast-moving pahoehoe lava flow emerged from fissure 20 and traveled southeast where it crossed Pohoiki Road. Estimates from Hawaii County Fire Department aerial video at 6:30 pm indicate advance rate of 300-400 yards per hour; this rate may change with time and USGS crews are in the area to try and monitor flow advance. Other fissures remain weakly active and volcanic gas emissions remain elevated throughout the area downwind. Smoke from burning vegetation as lava flows advance is also contributing to poor air quality.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:16:20 AM EDT
[#50]
When the feed was focused on the flow it looked like it was moving a lot faster than 300-400 yards an hour.  Seemed more like a few miles per hour.
Page / 41
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top