You don't get out or read much do you?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if i can only carry 10rds
Why, what's wrong? Are your muscles not strong enough to carry more than that?
At least his sarcasm meter isn't broken.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Meh.. most of us.
I just do not spend that much time in, around or near locations where a significant threat is much of a concern.
Single stack fits my desired comfort level.
Not worrying about events I have no control over. If my work placed me in the hood or some other more likely locations for problems then I would double stack.
View Quote
Why carry at all then??
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They use man purses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How in the world do you guys put a 43 in your pocket? How big are your pockets?? 43 wouldn't even fit in my back pocket let alone my front jeans pocket! I am 6'3" 200lbs and don't wear skinny boy clothing either. How do you do it?
They use man purses.
Carhartt carpenter jeans work fine for me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you feel undergunned you need to practice more. I'm pretty confident with my LCP and G43 for most conceivable defensive scenarios. I've never found a way of concealing a bigger gun IWB that is comfortable and hides well with the clothes I wear. I'm simply not going to walk around every day with a uncomfortable pistol stuck on my hip when something smaller fits in my pocket much, much easier. But it's my funeral.
View Quote
The problem especially in some inner city areas is being confronted by not a few not a handful but a mob of attackers.
Remember Reginald Denny, hauled out of his truck & beaten into a coma by multiple attackers.
6 or 7 or 10 rounds won't get you far there, you're looking at a near urban combat scenario.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not a big fan of pocket carry but that's just me. I'm more a fan of the IWB carry with stretchy waist jeans.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not a big fan of pocket carry but that's just me. I'm more a fan of the IWB carry with stretchy waist jeans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm always concerned a ND will blow one of my testaculars clean off. 4 o'clock carry for me. Asscheeks heal easily enough. Testaculars don't grow back.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm always concerned a ND will blow one of my testaculars clean off. 4 o'clock carry for me. Asscheeks heal easily enough. Testaculars don't grow back.
View Quote
Yeah I carry mine as an ass cheek ventilator. Not about to sacrifice one of the twins for appendix carry.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree with you 95% of the time.

My single stack 9 is good for those times when I can't dress around my double stack, etc.

Having options is good, but getting complacent is also bad.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#9]
good luck with that I disagree  for honest security in a urban  area you need a 357mag to penetrate car  glass not capacity.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In the United States there are some states where it is illegal to own magazines that hold more than 10rds. When you visit you will learn this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand. Does he have a medical condition that prevents him from carrying more ammunition?
In the United States there are some states where it is illegal to own magazines that hold more than 10rds. When you visit you will learn this.
Is there a law against carrying more than 1 magazine or 10 rounds total?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand. Does he have a medical condition that prevents him from carrying more ammunition?
10 rounds in each magazine. You can have a ton of them along your belt wrapped behind your back like a USPSA Limited-10 shooter.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why carry at all then??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh.. most of us.
I just do not spend that much time in, around or near locations where a significant threat is much of a concern.
Single stack fits my desired comfort level.
Not worrying about events I have no control over. If my work placed me in the hood or some other more likely locations for problems then I would double stack.
Why carry at all then??
ITT carrying a single stack 9mm = not carrying at all. LOL.

Ok seriously though, it's simple risk assessment. The chances of needing a gun at all are extremely slim- but most of us carry anyway, just in case. The chances of needing a ton of ammo is even slimmer. A lot of people choose whether or not to carry based on comfort, so for many the choice is between being comfortable or not carrying at all.
In this case, a single stack 9mm is a good choice.

It's all about what level of risk you're willing to accept. For me, I'm willing to accept the risk of carrying a single stack 9mm most of the time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Pic thread.

Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I prefer a 9mm 1911 and don't feel under gunned.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#15]
you fail by 1mm OP

so sad
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#16]
15 rds lol.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Funny, that's exactly what I thought about your retarded post 2004. LOL

Practice more so you won't need 3 clips of ammo...still can't think of any AK scenario where pretty much any pistol wins.
View Quote
Maybe my post wasnt for you, so move on with your LCP. Now, go get your fucking shine box.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Maybe my post wasnt for you, so move on with your LCP. Now, go get your fucking shine box.
View Quote
You seem like one MSOB.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My grandpa was a cop in NYC in the old days and had a 6 shot 38. turned out alright for him.
View Quote
What ammo was he issued during his career? LRN? LSWC? LSWCHP? I ask because while NYPD held onto their LRN for years because of a single one stop shot of a bear in the zoo, there was a litany of documented failures of that round. Yet, plenty of "experts" claimed "well it worked for me" and pointed to a single instance as evidence. We have to look at hard, repeatable data, not personal anecdotes colored by the unreliability of memory & bias. How many shootings was he involved in, i.e. does "worked alright" = gunned down a half dozen armed suspects or does it mean he was never in a shooting, in which case a rubber gun would have "worked alright".
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you hit what you are aiming at you don't need that many. Shoot better or stay home.
View Quote
How many shootings have you been in and what were your hit percentages? How often do you attend formal marksmanship training? Force on force training? Finally, in regards to your "shoot better" statement, are you familiar with the 1986 Miami Shootout?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have been carrying my Beretta M9A3 with 2 extra 17rd mags.  But that is a lot of extra weight that I'd rather not deal with all day everyday.

I have been wanting a S&W 327 2" 8shot though.  Its expensive as hell but 8rds of 357 Mag in a 23oz gun is pretty nice.
Or the discontinued 327 Night Guard which is a touch heavier as it has a stainless rather than titanium cylinder.

https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/styles/product_main/public/firearms/images/170245_01_lg_1.jpg?itok=9ztejj0D
https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/styles/product_main/public/firearms/images/163422_01_lg_0.jpg?itok=SZATue81
View Quote
.357 magnum in a 2" barrel is a .38 special with excess muzzle blast & recoil.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How many shootings have you been in and what were your hit percentages? How often do you attend formal marksmanship training? Force on force training? Finally, in regards to your "shoot better" statement, are you familiar with the 1986 Miami Shootout?
View Quote
Whooooooah the fuck down bucko. I'm not in law enforcement. I thought we're talking average civilian carry here not LEO, higher threat circumstances or neighborhoods.

I carry a single stack pistol w/spare mag, which is better than 99% of the average civilian. If you don't think that's good enough I don't care.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been carrying my Beretta M9A3 with 2 extra 17rd mags.  But that is a lot of extra weight that I'd rather not deal with all day everyday.

I have been wanting a S&W 327 2" 8shot though.  Its expensive as hell but 8rds of 357 Mag in a 23oz gun is pretty nice.
Or the discontinued 327 Night Guard which is a touch heavier as it has a stainless rather than titanium cylinder.

https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/styles/product_main/public/firearms/images/170245_01_lg_1.jpg?itok=9ztejj0D
https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/styles/product_main/public/firearms/images/163422_01_lg_0.jpg?itok=SZATue81
No, it's really not.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Whooooooah the fuck down bucko. I'm not in law enforcement. I thought we're talking average civilian carry here not LEO, higher threat circumstances or neighborhoods.

i carry a single stack pistol w/spare mag, which is better than 99% of the average civilian. If you don't think that's good enough I don't care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i carry a single stack pistol w/spare mag, which is better than 99% of the average civilian. If you don't think that's good enough I don't care.
I'm not at all disparaging the choice to carry a single stack, especially with a spare mag. More the mentality of "shoot better". I do agree with that...but to further your stated goal are you seeking out professional instruction in both marksmanship and force on force? And yes, I understand we are discussing armed citizens, but there are many dynamics which are universal such as how people respond when shot (physiological vs psychological) which is why I brought up the Miami shoot out.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm not at all disparaging the choice to carry a single stack, especially with a spare mag. More the mentality of "shoot better". I do agree with that...but to further your stated goal are you seeking out professional instruction in both marksmanship and force on force? And yes, I understand we are discussing armed citizens, but there are many dynamics which are universal such as how people respond when shot (physiological vs psychological) which is why I brought up the Miami shoot out.
View Quote
Sounds good... you sound more "experty" than me so I will bow to your knowledge!
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Bullshit

If I need more than 7 rounds I shouldn't have got involved anyways
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No, it's really not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's really not.
That's what I get for doing a bumper sticker length post. If we're comparing equal barrel lengths, you are of course correct. My point was that you aren't getting magnum ballistics. I'm going off of memory but I'm not familiar with any common defense loading providing over 1k FPS from a magnum load in a 2" barrel. .38 special performance out of a 2" barrel is even less impressive. My overall point was that you are accepting a lot of muzzle blast and recoil, when you might be better off with a .38 special with a loading tailored to short barrels.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I carry a Glock 17 cut down to take Glock 19 magazines, with a spare 17 rd magazine. In a decent AIWB holster, it disappears under a tshirt.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The problem especially in some inner city areas is being confronted by not a few not a handful but a mob of attackers.
Remember Reginald Denny, hauled out of his truck & beaten into a coma by multiple attackers.
6 or 7 or 10 rounds won't get you far there, you're looking at a near urban combat scenario.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you feel undergunned you need to practice more. I'm pretty confident with my LCP and G43 for most conceivable defensive scenarios. I've never found a way of concealing a bigger gun IWB that is comfortable and hides well with the clothes I wear. I'm simply not going to walk around every day with a uncomfortable pistol stuck on my hip when something smaller fits in my pocket much, much easier. But it's my funeral.
For that specific scenario I have a Glock 19 in my driver side door pocket. But otherwise, I'm willing to sacrifice the ammo capacity for multiple attackers to not have to strap on a larger gun everywhere I go.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.range365.com/magazine-capacity-restrictions-by-state#page-3
Oooooohhhh..... So he chooses to live as a slave in a slave state instead of behaving as a responsible adult and moving his tax money elsewhere. I get it now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quit acting stupid. 10 round mag limits in certain states.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quit acting stupid. 10 round mag limits in certain states.
Sorry! I didn't realize he was a slave! Now I know.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Don't be an ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give me one example in the U.S. of a private defensive use of a firearm away from a home or workplace where somebody wisely fired more than six rounds.

You be you OP, but if you're going to say "should," we'll need something more than your own speculation.
I'm Dianne Feinstein and I approve this message.
Don't be an ass.
Don't parrot Dianne Feinstein.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I’m limited to 10 round mags.

S&W Shield 9. Mag-Guts +2 kits.

The 7 and 8 round mags that came with the gun are now 9 and 10.

9+1 + 10 = 20 rounds on tap
View Quote
Why? Are your muscles too weak to carry normal sized magazines?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whaaaaaaat? And people choose to live and pay taxes there??? Why???????
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#36]

52rds on me right now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fuck yeah double stack 9mm with a reload.  That's my edc. IN CT WITH 10 FUCKING ROUNDS IN EACH MAG. The reload mag can't even BE a standard capacity.  It MUST only hold 10 rounds. The one in the gun can be a hi-cap (if you "declared" it when registering), but can only be loaded with 10 rounds.  Yet you can carry as many spare mags as you want.

"Common sense" gun control FTMFW.  
View Quote
Why on God's Earth do you choose to live in a slave state???
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Excluding psychological stops and events where only one party fires, the most influential single factor in personal defense shootings is mag capacity.

That's why I carry a 2 shot derringer. The internet says one shot is all it takes to scatter a half-dozen hoodlums, but 2 is 1 and 1 is none.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, I had a S&W Model 38 with a spare speed strip when I ran down to the grocery store today and I didn't feel undergunned. I've been carrying all sorts of handguns since the 70's and have not had call to use one yet.

Maybe my funeral, but I just don't always feel the need to carry 30-50 rounds every time I walk out the door.

You carry whatever makes you happy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm covered
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Last year I made the decision to trust
my life on the street to Second Chance body
armor. I got the level IIa because it stops
the most rounds. plus I got the Trauma Plate
for the front.

What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.

Here is the questions. The ducttape "solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go
to the single-plate solution in back. What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition. I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target for repeated long-distance shots to my back.

Are any of you aware of a thicker plate that could stop, say, .338 Lapua or something like that? Is there a better way to do the second plate?

BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and "catch the rounds" while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.
View Quote
That was one of the best threads ever.

FWIW... I usually carry a G19 and a spare G17 mag.
Occasionally... I pocket carry a 640 or 642.

I still look longingly at my 1911's and Milt Sparks leather, but the cheap plastic in a plastic holster gets 98% of my carry time these days.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#42]
That grip sleeve is a tactilicious.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
How does he get it to stay there ?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Here's Three, From Tom Givens

Tom has had 65 of his students involved in shootings, he notes in his article about those shootings at the link that three of those required more than 6 rounds, 8, 11 and 12 I believe.....

I can personally think of several others, but you only asked for one.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give me one example in the U.S. of a private defensive use of a firearm away from a home or workplace where somebody wisely fired more than six rounds.

You be you OP, but if you're going to say "should," we'll need something more than your own speculation.
Here's Three, From Tom Givens

Tom has had 65 of his students involved in shootings, he notes in his article about those shootings at the link that three of those required more than 6 rounds, 8, 11 and 12 I believe.....

I can personally think of several others, but you only asked for one.....
Here's what Givens actually said in the publication you linked to: "Right off I can recall student's shootings involving eight, eleven, and twelve rounds. None of our students have had to reload during a fight, although I can think of three who went to slide lock."

That's not an example of such a shooting. Givens doesn't even say where they took place. It's an example of a teacher saying three of his students told him something. It's second-hand information about unidentified people in unidentified places at unidentified times. I don't doubt that somebody somewhere has needed to fire more than six rounds outside the home, but it's so rare that nobody can even come up with one documented example of it happening.

I'm not the one throwing out "shoulds" here. You all do whatever you want, but stop saying people "should" do something when there's little if any reason for it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

ITT carrying a single stack 9mm = not carrying at all. LOL.

Ok seriously though, it's simple risk assessment. The chances of needing a gun at all are extremely slim- but most of us carry anyway, just in case. The chances of needing a ton of ammo is even slimmer. A lot of people choose whether or not to carry based on comfort, so for many the choice is between being comfortable or not carrying at all.
In this case, a single stack 9mm is a good choice.

It's all about what level of risk you're willing to accept. For me, I'm willing to accept the risk of carrying a single stack 9mm most of the time.
View Quote
Like you said, if you're choosing based on Risk assessment and the "extremely slim" chance, then why carry at all... You say you also choose for comfort, which is a different criteria then risk.

Carrying a gun is like insurance, no one carries a cheap home owners or vehicle policy, even thought the chances are slim you will need it...but for that once in a lifetime event, you're sure glad you did not cheap out on your policy.

That's my thought on it, I will most likely never need to draw and fire to defend myself or my family, but in the event I do, I want something that I can not only fight with, but win... and a tiny little single stack that I can barely get my hands around, that I can barely hit a target with past 10 yds, that has 6-8 rds of something less then a 147 gr 9mm is a poor choice., just so that you can say you carry.

If your being intellectually honest, don't bother to carry, the odds are still way in your favor... and you don't need to have any discomfort.

And the fact that I can carry a G19 in shorts and a T-short, why would I want to carry less, oh yeah, I forgot, comfort....not Risk.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#46]
What are reloads?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What are reloads?
View Quote
Ahhh, you must carry one of those .45s I've been reading about.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Carrying something is better than carrying nothing. If I want to carry, I must be able to absolutely conceal it. I cannot conceal a double stack anything any more than I could conceal an AR pistol.

I carry a p938.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
For that specific scenario I have a Glock 19 in my driver side door pocket. But otherwise, I'm willing to sacrifice the ammo capacity for multiple attackers to not have to strap on a larger gun everywhere I go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smart man!
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top