BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My lawyer could tell them over the phone.

Whats wrong with that?

ETA: see how I actually gave your very unlikely circumstance its due credit.
View Quote

I'd rather LEO know about evidence on the scene that would exonerate me and secure it before my lawyer got around to calling them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's not about you personally.

It's a question that all of us who use self defense legal programs should ask.

"Do they specifically tell you there are no circumstances exist where giving any information to the responding officer might protect your legal rights?

Personally, I'd get that from them in writing, but that's just me."

I can venture a guess that you will never get that from them in writing.

The two examples already cited a great illustrations of how saying nothing to the responding officers could hurt your legal and civil defense.
View Quote
OK well its a non issue.  Because they have a plan.  That plan is predicated on them controlling the information you put out to remain consistent.  

You putting out information without telling them first only puts their plan behind the 8 ball.  So your question is a moot point.  That is not their legal plan. I pay them for their legal plan and advice.  Why would I choose to screw that up bases on a 3rd parties book?  

If ayoob or branca were my legal counsel I would certainly follow their plan.  

Your question doesn't matter in the least.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sharing knowledge is a service, not a personal insult.

Just a few years ago (even though I've carried concealed for 50 years) I had very little information about my state's use of force laws.

That wasn't smart.
View Quote
I am sorry you were negligent.

I try to stay up on that.  I am not ayoob or branca.  But I have prepared accordingly.  Thanks for the heads up.  Already on it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'd rather LEO know about evidence on the scene that would exonerate me and secure it before my lawyer got around to calling them.
View Quote
I support you doing that for you.  That is not the plan laid out by my legal counsel who I pay.  

You should definitely follow branca's advice if you are paying him.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am sorry you were negligent.

I try to stay up on that.  I am not ayoob or branca.  But I have prepared accordingly.  Thanks for the heads up.  Already on it.
View Quote

If you get Branca's book make sure it his latest, updated edition.

He includes the use of force laws for all 50 states, and they change periodically.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't believe this shit show is still going.  Op is something for sure.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"Do they specifically tell you there are no circumstances that exist where giving any information to the responding officer might protect your legal rights?

The two examples hypothetical scenarios already cited a great illustrations of how saying nothing to the responding officers could hurt your legal and civil defense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please sound out your question again so I will understand it better.

Disregard my statement that I am fairly smart.  Please treat me like a 3rd grader for this question.  

There are sender receiver issues going on here.  So lets try again.

"Do they specifically tell you there are no circumstances that exist where giving any information to the responding officer might protect your legal rights?

The two examples hypothetical scenarios already cited a great illustrations of how saying nothing to the responding officers could hurt your legal and civil defense.

Again, you have not cited any examples of this actually happening. You have only offered hypothetical scenarios, all of which seem to involve the attacker throwing away their weapon and fleeing. Additionally, every scenario seems to presume that the police are too incompetent to find the weapon without you specifically pointing it out for them.

Why are you so terrified of this specific scenario?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cops are NOT your friend. Get a lawyer and speak thru them
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Actually, Branca is an in-demand, expert criminal defense attorney and his book, "The Law of Self Defense" is recognized as one of the best in the business.

I could type as if I was an attorney too, but I'm not.

View Quote

So he gets you coming, and he gets you going.

Shrewd.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Again, you have not cited any examples of this actually happening. You have only offered hypothetical scenarios, all of which seem to involve the attacker throwing away their weapon and fleeing. Additionally, every scenario seems to presume that the police are too incompetent to find the weapon without you specifically pointing it out for them.

View Quote

I guess you missed Ayoob's example.

Here ya go:

"Massad Ayoob offers a five-point checklist of things to cover with the police instead of just clamming up:

Establish the active dynamic. This means letting the investigators know what the bad guy did to force you to use your firearm against him. This establishes you as the victim.
Reinforce that by stating you will testify against the bad guy
— and Ayoob says the wording of that may be “a little bit tricky.” Don’t say “I’ll press charges,” because in some areas only prosecuting attorneys can press charges. Instead, say “I will testify against him/them.” This strengthens your position as victim.
Point out the evidence. Preserve it if possible; which can be difficult when medical and other personnel are running around disturbing the scene.
Point out the witnesses. I know from experience that witnesses don’t always get interviewed or even have a statement taken at the scene; do your best to make it easy for officers, so the witnesses can back up your story.
Shut up. Tell the officer he or she can expect your full cooperation after you’ve spoken with an attorney."

And this second example
Also, "if you were attacked by multiple bad guys and one or more of them get away — and you say nothing to the police so they don’t know that 1) you were facing multiple threats when you used your firearm for self defense and 2) there are some bad guys at large — that doesn’t help your case in the least."

All that makes perfect sense to me, and I practice it.

Me?  Terrified?  
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Here ya go:

"Massad Ayoob offers a five-point checklist of things to cover with the police instead of just clamming up:

Establish the active dynamic. This means letting the investigators know what the bad guy did to force you to use your firearm against him. This establishes you as the victim.
— and Ayoob says the wording of that may be “a little bit tricky.” Don’t say “I’ll press charges,” because in some areas only prosecuting attorneys can press charges. Instead, say “I will testify against him/them.” This strengthens your position as victim.
Point out the evidence. Preserve it if possible; which can be difficult when medical and other personnel are running around disturbing the scene.
Point out the witnesses. I know from experience that witnesses don’t always get interviewed or even have a statement taken at the scene; do your best to make it easy for officers, so the witnesses can back up your story.
Shut up. Tell the officer he or she can expect your full cooperation after you’ve spoken with an attorney."

And this second example
Also, "if you were attacked by multiple bad guys and one or more of them get away — and you say nothing to the police so they don’t know that 1) you were facing multiple threats when you used your firearm for self defense and 2) there are some bad guys at large — that doesn’t help your case in the least."

Me?  Terrified?  
View Quote

Again, I don't see any real world examples, only hypothetical scenarios.

Does he cite any case where remaining silent until speaking with their lawyer has actually harmed the victim's legal defense?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Here ya go:

And this second example

Me?  Terrified?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here ya go:

And this second example

Me?  Terrified?  

That's not an answer to the question.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Does he cite any case where remaining silent actually harmed the victim's legal defense?
View Quote

So, how many examples of actual case law are you requiring?

And I totally understand that a book of them would have no effect on your opinion.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And I totally understand that a book of them would have no effect on your opinion.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does he cite any case where remaining silent actually harmed the victim's legal defense?

Let's start with just one, shall we?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Let's start with just one, shall we?
View Quote

Ok, I'll reach out to them and put these uppity experts on the spot!  

Will let you know how they respond.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's my job to gather the facts and present them to the prosecutor.  If those facts prove guilt or innocence is not really relevant to me.  If the guy's buddies tell me that dude shot Pootie for no reason and you know Pootie's knife rolled under the car when he fell, don't you think that's the sort of thing you should make known??? I promise you with 33 shooting investigations behind me, that the knife will be gone by the time your lawyer mentions it to the detectives, therefore there never was a knife.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That guy is a cop. It's his job to extract information from you. Information that cannot be used to help you.

It's my job to gather the facts and present them to the prosecutor.  If those facts prove guilt or innocence is not really relevant to me.  If the guy's buddies tell me that dude shot Pootie for no reason and you know Pootie's knife rolled under the car when he fell, don't you think that's the sort of thing you should make known??? I promise you with 33 shooting investigations behind me, that the knife will be gone by the time your lawyer mentions it to the detectives, therefore there never was a knife.

Police “are in the often competitive enterprise of ferreting out crime”
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#17]
@doc450

so when you have some experts who say one thing, and some experts say another how do you go about determining which experts to believe?

The natural inclination for human beings is to lean towards opinions that confirm our own, so how do you go about making sure you aren't doing just that?

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I don't know. One?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Do they ask about medical attention before or after attemting to elicit details?

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

He doesnt answer questions.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I found one locally that is a huge 2A proponent.  I keep his card in my wallet and number in my phone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not everyone “has a lawyer”. If you’re on a scene and need one better call Saul?  Seriously most people wouldn’t know where to start finding a good lawyer quickly

I found one locally that is a huge 2A proponent.  I keep his card in my wallet and number in my phone.

We need a database here for attorneys who would be useful in a situation like this. I'd bet that many of us don't know where we would turn if we were involved in a use of force situation. I have a lawyer I've used a time or two but he absolutely is not a criminal defense attorney.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quiet, or he'll copy/paste his wall of text again!

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

whad'i miss?  
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quiet, or he'll copy/paste his wall of text again!

View Quote

Here ya go:

And this second example
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Here ya go:

And this second example
View Quote

Damnit! It's become sentient!
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Here ya go:

And this second example
View Quote

That Ayoob, I swear.  He didn't cite a single example of where his advice helped a self defense shooter's case.

Who IS this hooplehead anyway?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We need a database here for attorneys who would be useful in a situation like this. I'd bet that many of us don't know where we would turn if we were involved in a use of force situation. I have a lawyer I've used a time or two but he absolutely is not a criminal defense attorney.
View Quote

The USCCA has such a database.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Interesting how this topic continues to come up one way or another.

Interesting that a number of posters here would portray every self defense shooting where the victim spoke to the police as the victim being set up and charged with whatever the crime would be (agg. assault attempted murder, murder) by the police when it appears most self defense shootings don't go that way.  But hey a poster here even pointed out that LE are trained to get confessions, even if they are false.  

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/GZHd6Sp-56.gif
View Quote

Not that most self-defense shootings would go that way. But it is best to plan for the worst. If you prepare for one that will go that way and it doesn't, the consequence might be a few days in jail while your lawyer fixes it. If you plan for one that doesn't go that way and it does, you may very well have set yourself up for a conviction.

Like carrying every time you leave the house. 99.87% of the time it won't matter. But you are planning for the fraction of a time when it does matter.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm a strong supporter of the police. I respect them, and very thankful I can call them in an emergency.

I lived in Mexico for 10 years. Mexican police are the enemy in most places. That said, I've had cops

lie to me more times than I can count. I appreciate them, but never trust them.

A little story: Years ago my friend was arrested for a DUI (DWI). He was arrested and refused everything (under my advice).

I was the main witness at his 3 day trial. All the police had to do was tell the truth, and my buddy was screwed. Their word against his = cops win.

Every police officer (there were 3 or 4) lied through their teeth at the trial. I'm not talking about little fibs. These guys were straight up psychotic liars.

It got to a laughable point the jury could trust nothing they said. My buddy walked...not guilty. I asked his attorney why on earth they lied. This was a done deal.

His response that I'll never forget was, "cops always lie".

This is why I wouldn't talk to the police.
View Quote

So you as a witness got to watch testimony given by other witnesses during a three day trial for a DUI?

Uh huh

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Andrew Branca, "The Law of Self Defense"

Chapter 9

"Tell the responding officers exactly what you told 911:
1. Your name
2. Your location
3. Three specific sentences about what happened and why:
a. I was attacked
b. I was in fear for my life (my family, etc).
c. I had to defend myself.

4. Identify exculpatory evidence and witnesses.

Remember, the jury is only going to arrive at their verdict based on the evidence.  If a piece of evidence goes missing, it does not exist for legal purposes. It becomes speculation.

Good cases of self defense do not suffer from too much evidence.  The suffer from too little evidence.  More evidence is good for the good guys.

So what kind of evidence should you make when you interact with responding officers?

Evidence that will help your narrative.  What the law refers to as exculpatory evidence.  And for the most part exculpatory evidence comes on the form of objects and witnesses.  And you need exculpatory evidence secured.  If it isn't, part of your story becomes speculation, which doesn't exist for legal purposes.

If a thug attacks you with a knife, and as you shoot him that knife goes flying into a bush, tell the responding officers to go look in that bush.  If you don't and the knife isn't recovered, it doesn't exist for legal purposes.  Given the knife justifies your actions, failing to recover it would be devastating to your legal defense.

If all you say is "I want my lawyer" you let that exculpatory evidence disappear. I can assure you that your lawyer is not going to think you are a legal genius for following the advice of a Youtube video to "never talk to the police".

Massad Ayoob
"Conventional wisdom — and many a concealed-carry instructor — says that you should clam up when police arrive at the scene and refuse to say anything without your attorney present, because “police are not your friends” in that situation.

Defensive shooting expert Massad Ayoob disagrees.

Massad Ayoob offers a five-point checklist of things to cover with the police instead of just clamming up:

Reinforce that by stating you will testify against the bad guy — and Ayoob says the wording of that may be “a little bit tricky.” Don’t say “I’ll press charges,” because in some areas only prosecuting attorneys can press charges. Instead, say “I will testify against him/them.” This strengthens your position as victim.

View Quote

I don’t think this has been posted here yet, I just found it on the internet.  It should answer everyone’s questions about specific examples/cases, etc.

I hope this clears up all confusion and brings clarity to this thread…Just trying to help.

/s
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So you as a witness got to watch testimony given by other witnesses during a three day trial for a DUI?

Uh huh

View Quote
He didn't say he  witnessed them lying.   He said they lied.

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If under the circumstances recommended by Branca and Ayoob, hopefully I'll be mentally capable of helping my legal defense, not putting it in greater jeopardy.

Do I need to post those again for you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm.....sounds amazingly like what most people in this thread have said.  Contact your legal advisor first.

If under the circumstances recommended by Branca and Ayoob, hopefully I'll be mentally capable of helping my legal defense, not putting it in greater jeopardy.

Do I need to post those again for you?

You think these guys are more credible than the , “don’t talk to the cops” guys?

Ayoob is a buffoon and the other guy does not have the credibility of this guy.

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It all sounds good and reasonable and until a guy like John-in-Austin is the responding officer and you are fucked for life.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I’ve seen too many instances of cops acting evil. There’s no way I would trust a cop in a critical situation. Sucks, but it’s the truth.
Cops are hung up on drugs, time to let that go and prosecute the crimes, not the suspicion of crimes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lawyers that make their living from lying, are to be trusted more than cops?

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not everyone “has a lawyer”. If you’re on a scene and need one better call Saul?  Seriously most people wouldn’t know where to start finding a good lawyer quickly

He/she doesn’t have to be. His/her job is to advise them that you are represented by counsel and you will not answer any questions without him/her present and to remind you to say nothing. He/she will know which defense attorneys in the area to call on your behalf.

My wife is not a criminal defense attorney but she knows the drill and I imagine any attorney you’d want representing you on any matter knows enough to tell the police to back off and you are asserting your rights.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It all sounds good and reasonable and until a guy like John-in-Austin is the responding officer and you are fucked for life. ???????
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL You're late, we've had much better discussion over the past 12 pages
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The lawyer is paid to keep your ass out of jail. The cop is paid to put your ass in jail.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The lawyer is paid to keep your ass out of jail. The cop is paid to put your ass in jail.
View Quote

And it's up to me to navigate between the two.

Andrew Branca knows use of force law as well as anyone in the U.S.

His coverage and commentary during Kyle's trial was the absolute best.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Does he cite any case where remaining silent until speaking with their lawyer has actually harmed the victim's legal defense?
View Quote
I cited a real world example back on page 3: https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Absurd-Advice-NEVER-Talk-To-The-Police/5-2543287/?page=3#i98094391

The shooter didn't remain silent.
The shooter didn't need a legal defense (because he wasn't arrested or charged, as a direct result of providing information about the intruder's weapon and its possible location).

I found a couple of articles. They specifically state the shooter/neighbor wasn't charged. (They do not mention the search for the second handgun.)
https://www.wbrz.com/news/man-dead-after-domestic-disturbance-ends-in-shooting
https://louisiana.concealedcarry.com/2016/08/30/ascension-stalker-shot-and-killed-by-victims-concealed-carrying-neighbor/

I agree this is a rare scenario.
I agree that, as a general rule, it's always better (for you) to say less rather than more if you are being investigated by LE.

Please be aware of states which have Stop & Identify statutes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes
Four states' laws (Arizona, Indiana, Louisiana, and Nevada) explicitly impose an obligation to provide identifying information.
Fifteen states grant police authority to ask questions, with varying wording, but do not explicitly impose an obligation to respond...
Failing/refusing to provide identifying information to LE is a crime in my state, and you can be arrested just for that.

Always keep in mind that justifiable homicide is still a homicide, which is why you (potentially) end up in the precarious position of having to justify your actions in the first place.
Be careful. Be smart. Do not make statements harmful to your own legal position.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:08:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I’ve seen too many instances of cops acting evil. There’s no way I would trust a cop in a critical situation. Sucks, but it’s the truth.
Cops are hung up on drugs, time to let that go and prosecute the crimes, not the suspicion of crimes.
View Quote

Police have so often brazenly lied to me about such trivialities that, unless I know the officer personally, I will assume every officer is lying all the time. If I was on a jury, I would throw out every word of police testimony and every piece of police collected evidence. They are thoroughly untrustworthy at every level of the organization and concerning every piece of evidence.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I cited a real world example back on page 3: https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Absurd-Advice-NEVER-Talk-To-The-Police/5-2543287/?page=3#i98094391

The shooter didn't need a legal defense (because he wasn't arrested or charged, as a direct result of providing information about the intruder's weapon and its possible location).

I found a couple of articles. They specifically state the shooter/neighbor wasn't charged. (They do not mention the search for the second handgun.)
https://louisiana.concealedcarry.com/2016/08/30/ascension-stalker-shot-and-killed-by-victims-concealed-carrying-neighbor/

I agree that, as a general rule, it's always better (for you) to say less rather than more if you are being investigated by LE.

Please be aware of states which have Stop & Identify statutes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes
Four states' laws (Arizona, Indiana, Louisiana, and Nevada) explicitly impose an obligation to provide identifying information.
Fifteen states grant police authority to ask questions, with varying wording, but do not explicitly impose an obligation to respond...
Failing/refusing to provide identifying information to LE is a crime in my state, and you can be arrested just for that.

Always keep in mind that justifiable homicide is still a homicide, which is why you (potentially) end up in the precarious position of having to justify your actions in the first place.
Be careful. Be smart. Do not make statements harmful to your own legal position.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regarding the example you provided, do you think the outcome would have been any different if the victim had informed the police of the weapon through his lawyer, rather than informing them directly? The firearm still would have been found, albeit at a slightly later time, would it not?

Would waiting to speak to his lawyer first really have put his legal defense in jeopardy? That is the question.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I believe he's looking for an example where staying silent led to a conviction.    
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct, though it's not even a matter of staying silent, really. It's a question of the risk involved in waiting until your lawyer is present, and then cooperating fully, compared to the risk of volunteering information before speaking with your lawyer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Regarding the example you provided, do you think the outcome would have been any different if the victim had informed the police of the weapon through his lawyer, rather than informing them directly? The firearm still would have been found, albeit at a slightly later time, would it not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Probably so, but he likely would've been arrested that night.

Would waiting to speak to his lawyer first really have put his legal defense in jeopardy? That is the question.
It seems to me that never being considered for prosecution is the best-case defensive scenario, but I'm certain he'd have received a favorable outcome had he lawyered up immediately.

What he accomplished for himself was saving a bunch of money (no lawyer/defense needed) and the effort of expunging the initial arrest (since it didn't happen). Pure winning.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#47]
If the Cops ask you a question they already know the answer.
Don't talk to the Cops.

Retired Law Enforcement 21 YRS
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:14:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It seems to me that never being considered for prosecution is the best-case defensive scenario, but I'm certain he'd have received a favorable outcome had he lawyered up immediately.

What he accomplished for himself was saving a bunch of money (no lawyer/defense needed) and the effort of expunging the initial arrest (since it didn't happen). Pure winning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He definitely had the best possible outcome, not having to deal with an arrest or lawyer's fees at all.

I think the concern that many in this thread have is regarding the risk of volunteering information and having it be misunderstood, misrepresented, or twisted around to be used against you.

There is almost no additional risk in waiting to speak to a lawyer before answering questions, but there is a significant risk involved in answering questions before speaking to a lawyer, no matter how well-meaning your intentions are.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#49]
?? Do Cops even talk right after they are involved in a shooting?

And given the way "January 6th" people's rights have been respected.  

Kyle Rittenhouse...

I'm not taking without a lawyer, that's why I have carry insurance right?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:11:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
He definitely had the best possible outcome, not having to deal with an arrest or lawyer's fees at all.
I think the concern that many in this thread have is regarding the risk of volunteering information and having it be misunderstood, misrepresented, or twisted around to be used against you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's absolutely a valid and important concern.

Clear and concise communication is always the best form of communication in such scenarios.
Consistency is important too.

If you're not capable of accomplishing all of the above, you're better off not attempting much communication.

If you're about to communicate that you've committed a crime, obviously you should stop.
(This requires knowing what the potential crimes would be, relative to your scenario, of course).

There is almost no additional risk in waiting to speak to a lawyer before answering questions, but there is a significant risk involved in answering questions before speaking to a lawyer, no matter how well-meaning your intentions are.
Yes, depending on what the questions are...

There are a few most people would be unlikely to screw up:
Are you injured?
Did you call us?
Who are you?
Why are you here?

The more guilty and less intelligent someone is, the more they require a healthy dose of STFU and a good attorney.

Most people end up talking too much because they believe they're smarter than the LEOs asking the questions, or they're just well-intentioned and like to talk.
If they didn't commit the crime, I haven't personally observed that to end badly for them, but I understand experiences vary.

Like I said earlier, justifiable homicide (or self-defense not resulting in death) is a tricky situation to begin with, because you're already having to justify an action which would otherwise have been illegal.

YMMV, and all that. Better to play it safe.
I agree with those saying to point out your exculpatory evidence. That's definitely a safe bet for you.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top