Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drugged out of his mind or what?
View Quote

Who knows.  Just because they have a long tab doesn't mean they can't have a problem mental or substance wise.  The mental part is more of a stretch due to their selection process.  But they are not perfect as individuals.

It's just weird that anyone let alone a SF guy going nuts and shooting up a random place.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Was his ex wife there?
View Quote

Honestly that could be it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was his ex wife there?

Cops said there was no relation to any of the people he shot. The only girl he shot was 16, and if that was an ex... he's got a whole new bunch of problems.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I dont think I'm trying to get into a gunfight with a Green Beret
View Quote

You just shoot them while they're busy executing boomers and high school juniors. Happens all the time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A total WTF situation but I have to wonder, who the victims were and what did they know? The injured victims were a collateral necessity.
These days, those questions are valid.
View Quote

dafuq.gif
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:12:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Only the police and the military should have guns! Oh wait..., nevermind
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've told friends of mine a hundred times.  Things like this can happen anywhere you go.   Always carry.
View Quote

That was my thought, nobody there was a concealed carrier? I carry every place I go unless they're going to x-ray me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Assuming all this is true, based on the evidence the police collected and viewed, I have to say he (Webb) gets my standard response:

Trial
Appeal
Bullet to the head
Incinerator

View Quote

Yeah. There's no coming back from that. As I understand it, the man earned 2 Bronze Stars. A man like that doing a thing like this is such a horrible waste of human potential in every way.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ones I'm still in touch with? Dozen or more,  including extended family sending me stuff earlier today about Wikileaks supposedly releasing a bunch of information,  but he's a retired SF officer.  Others I've just met at events such as the Best Ranger Competition when my brother and his former Regiment partner completed it. Plus a few dozen several decades ago,  but those will get dismissed because they were Guard, or the TAC NCO when I was in ROTC (of course,  he never told ME he was Delta, one of the officers did).  But you'll note I very carefully limited my statement to those I've seen/met.  It's not like I try to go hang around military bases fanboying, I only go to one when invited by friends or family.
View Quote

Pease Read
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've been here two decades, I've been open that entire time about my background.  Just in the last year someone actually noticed and got their pussy in a wringer about it.  I identify when I'm referring to what I've been told by friends because otherwise people claim I'm trying to steal valor by not making it clear it's not MY experiences.  In this case, many years ago I was around a Guard SF unit for long enough that some members of the unit didn't realize I wasn't actually in the unit (such as walking down the hall to visit a friend and getting pulled in by the medic for a flu shot), between them sponsoring our Explorer Post and friends I made through that, over six years of association with them.  Back in those days, I knew all of the full-time AGR members of that battalion headquarters company by name and they knew me, even though there was primarily one I was hanging out with at the time, but I'd been on a rifle team with another one (who was support staff, he failed the Q Course, I've got a picture of the unit CWO and myself at his funeral a few years ago).  So, at that time, I knew lots of SF guys.  Since then, I know mostly retired SF guys because there are no SF units in my area, and, as noted, I'm not a veteran and especially not tabbed myself.  But I hang out with a former 82nd military science fiction writer, to the point that before my wife was in the picture, his children and his publisher would ask me to go to his house to check on him, now my wife is his personal assistant and does so, and some of his fans I meet are SF, Rangers, SEALs, etc...  

So, from that experience, I gave my views and how they differed from those of the person I responded to, who seemed to generalize them all as one body type.  So I gave examples of individuals I know who deviated from that body type.  Of the three individuals I generally described in my original post, I could pick up the phone and reach two of them tonight, the third one I can never remember his real name and only knew him casually, but I've been there when he was scrounging for food at 10am on an FTX.  As for one of the people who responded about "Hey, I'll admit it, we have our fatbodies too", well, I only gave examples of two body types I observed, which certainly wasn't all-inclusive :-)  Especially since being Guard, they tended to be a little older than a lot of the active duty types, so some were a little stockier, but still met standards (the main friend in the unit I was hanging out with was older but slim, he'd been Navy in Vietnam, but deployed to northern Iraq to aid the Kurds in GW1).  

Heck, some of the same people who bitch about me referring to friends for military stuff also bitch when I refer to friends in computer stuff, even though with them I've talked shop with those friends because their stuff was extremely similar to the stuff I was working on, and in IT you never know when you'll switch specialties to something similar, and that in the same post I was referring to how the stuff *I'VE* worked with was relevant.
View Quote

You don’t have to explain yourself, Go Dawgs!
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:59:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Cops said there was no relation to any of the people he shot. The only girl he shot was 16, and if that was an ex... he's got a whole new bunch of problems.
View Quote

True but maybe he missed or something else.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:02:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

dafuq.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A total WTF situation but I have to wonder, who the victims were and what did they know? The injured victims were a collateral necessity.
These days, those questions are valid.

dafuq.gif

S
“Shoot the hostage”.  It’s in all the movies
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:20:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah. There's no coming back from that. As I understand it, the man earned 2 Bronze Stars. A man like that doing a thing like this is such a horrible waste of human potential in every way.
View Quote

maybe his ability to be a uncaring sociopath is what allowed him to excel in war?
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

maybe his ability to be a uncaring sociopath is what allowed him to excel in war?
View Quote

or maybe he snapped?  

This nation has been at war for 2 decades. SOF has been in the thick of it since Sep 12th 2001. By the thick of it I mean that there are men with 8-10 years in sustained combat operations....or more and they are still at war in places that most US citizens can't find on a globe.

The operations that they are involved with have a way of insidiously wearing a man down. No front lines. No "safe areas"......just perpetually living and working in Indian country.  The psychological damage down to some men can remain hidden until something like this happens.  

Not making excuses for this guy.  Apparently he lost his shit and the real question that needs to be asked is why?  How did a guy lose his shit to the point that he killed 3 older American men and wounded a bunch more people?  

How do we fix this so the guy doesn't snap?

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You mean we shouldn't be sensationalist, emotion driven drones like the media wants us to be ?
View Quote
DING DING DING!
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've known some who were bulky muscular and others who were scrawny.   One instructor in my area went on to a career as an accountant/auditor after his time in the Army, and looks it; you'd never think he was one of the original members of the reformed 1st Ranger Battalion or that he then got commissioned and was a Special Forces officer.  Bigger guys may be able to haul more, but they pay for it in increased caloric requirements.  One SF officer was nicknamed "Orca" in the early '90's, very built guy, but by 10am he was scrounging for any MRE's guys had stashed away because he'd burned off breakfast and was starving, when you have very low body fat, you have no reserves.  Another guy (SPC at the time, later commissioned, another one you wouldn't know was SF unless he told you) commented that bumping into him in the halls was like walking into a brick wall, but after he went to scuba school, it was like walking into a steel girder.  MOST of the SF/Ranger/CAG guys I've seen were fit and clearly had muscles, but were not bulky.
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Imaginary-friends-harmful-or-beneficial-/5-2407114/

"You've got a Friend" By: James Taylor

Attachment Attached File

you are the one with issues.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Which, as someone who has tried and won a first degree murder trial, makes no sense to me.
View Quote

As the prosecutor or the defense attorney?
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bull. They all do lots of direct action shit, even if it's not what SF is "primarily" supposed to do. ALL Rangers do is DA, and a lot of them are beasts of men. Idk where you got any of that.
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nope.
View Quote

Must never have heard of RRD, or whatever they changed the name to.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

I was responding to someone who said that the only thing Rangers did was DA. This isn’t true. Yes, ONE of RRD’s missions is DA.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nope.

I don't think you understand the Ranger mission.  It's either DA or METL iso of DA tasks. From USASOC's web page....

The 75th Ranger Regiment is a lethal, agile and flexible force, capable of executing a myriad of complex, joint special operations missions in support of U.S. policy and objectives. Today’s Ranger Regiment is the Army’s premier raid force. Each of the four geographically dispersed Ranger battalions are always combat ready, mentally and physically tough and prepared to fight the War on Terrorism. Their capabilities include air assault and direct action raids seizing key terrain such as airfields, destroying strategic facilities, and capturing or killing enemies of the Nation. Rangers are capable of conducting squad through regimental size operations using a variety of infiltration techniques including airborne, air assault and ground platforms. The Regiment remains an all-volunteer force with an intensive screening and selection process followed by combat-focused training. Rangers are resourced to maintain exceptional proficiency, experience and readiness. The 75th Ranger Regiment is a proud unit and a team of teams serving the Nation - Rangers Lead The Way!

Recon, Regimental or otherwise, is a supporting task to their core METL which is Combat Patrol, Raid and Ambush. You can split hairs if you'd like but you're either ignorant of the facts or disingenuous. The fact that they have a role in the Tier structure doesn't change their core METL.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Ahhhh yes..

The classic basement based virtual purse swinging is at full RPM.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't think you understand the Ranger mission.  It's either DA or METL iso of DA tasks. From USASOC's web page....

Recon, Regimental or otherwise, is a supporting task to their core METL which is Combat Patrol, Raid and Ambush. You can split hairs if you'd like but you're either ignorant of the facts or disingenuous. The fact that they have a role in the Tier structure doesn't change their core METL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

The 75th Ranger Regiment is a lethal, agile and flexible force, capable of executing a myriad of complex, joint special operations missions in support of U.S. policy and objectives. Today’s Ranger Regiment is the Army’s premier raid force. Each of the four geographically dispersed Ranger battalions are always combat ready, mentally and physically tough and prepared to fight the War on Terrorism. Their capabilities include air assault and direct action raids seizing key terrain such as airfields, destroying strategic facilities, and capturing or killing enemies of the Nation. Rangers are capable of conducting squad through regimental size operations using a variety of infiltration techniques including airborne, air assault and ground platforms. The Regiment remains an all-volunteer force with an intensive screening and selection process followed by combat-focused training. Rangers are resourced to maintain exceptional proficiency, experience and readiness. The 75th Ranger Regiment is a proud unit and a team of teams serving the Nation - Rangers Lead The Way!

I was replying to someone who said the ONLY thing Rangers did was DA. This is incorrect and your response doesn’t change that. Note what you posted; ‘and direct action’.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've been here two decades, I've been open that entire time about my background.  Just in the last year someone actually noticed and got their pussy in a wringer about it.  I identify when I'm referring to what I've been told by friends because otherwise people claim I'm trying to steal valor by not making it clear it's not MY experiences.  In this case, many years ago I was around a Guard SF unit for long enough that some members of the unit didn't realize I wasn't actually in the unit (such as walking down the hall to visit a friend and getting pulled in by the medic for a flu shot), between them sponsoring our Explorer Post and friends I made through that, over six years of association with them.  Back in those days, I knew all of the full-time AGR members of that battalion headquarters company by name and they knew me, even though there was primarily one I was hanging out with at the time, but I'd been on a rifle team with another one (who was support staff, he failed the Q Course, I've got a picture of the unit CWO and myself at his funeral a few years ago).  So, at that time, I knew lots of SF guys.  Since then, I know mostly retired SF guys because there are no SF units in my area, and, as noted, I'm not a veteran and especially not tabbed myself.  But I hang out with a former 82nd military science fiction writer, to the point that before my wife was in the picture, his children and his publisher would ask me to go to his house to check on him, now my wife is his personal assistant and does so, and some of his fans I meet are SF, Rangers, SEALs, etc...  

So, from that experience, I gave my views and how they differed from those of the person I responded to, who seemed to generalize them all as one body type.  So I gave examples of individuals I know who deviated from that body type.  Of the three individuals I generally described in my original post, I could pick up the phone and reach two of them tonight, the third one I can never remember his real name and only knew him casually, but I've been there when he was scrounging for food at 10am on an FTX.  As for one of the people who responded about "Hey, I'll admit it, we have our fatbodies too", well, I only gave examples of two body types I observed, which certainly wasn't all-inclusive :-)  Especially since being Guard, they tended to be a little older than a lot of the active duty types, so some were a little stockier, but still met standards (the main friend in the unit I was hanging out with was older but slim, he'd been Navy in Vietnam, but deployed to northern Iraq to aid the Kurds in GW1).  

Heck, some of the same people who bitch about me referring to friends for military stuff also bitch when I refer to friends in computer stuff, even though with them I've talked shop with those friends because their stuff was extremely similar to the stuff I was working on, and in IT you never know when you'll switch specialties to something similar, and that in the same post I was referring to how the stuff *I'VE* worked with was relevant.
View Quote

I agreed, you don't have to explain yourself. I REALLY wish you'd get that "former 82nd military science fiction writer" back to writing!
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Navy SEAL - Big dudes. Monsters made for extreme violence of action.

Green Berets/Rangers - Scrawny sneaky dudes made to live off bird feathers and leaf dew for months with no support.
View Quote

Not even close
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was replying to someone who said the ONLY thing Rangers did was DA. This is incorrect and your response doesn’t change that. Note what you posted; ‘and direct action’.
View Quote

Ok. Fair enough. Now please give an example of a core METL that is assigned to the Regiment that isn't DA or in direct support of DA.  Here's a pro tip.....a blocking position is DA.  Again though you're being purposefully disingenuous and cherry picking verbiage to "chastise" a member here that wrote something that is essentially accurate.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ahhhh yes..

The classic basement based virtual purse swinging is at full RPM.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ok. Fair enough. Now please give an example of a core METL that is assigned to the Regiment that isn't DA or in direct support of DA.  Here's a pro tip.....a blocking position is DA.  Again though you're being purposefully disingenuous and cherry picking verbiage to "chastise" a member here that wrote something that is essentially accurate.  
View Quote

75th has invested itself into a range of additional skills outside of traditional DA/raid, but that's not a discussion for this thread.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which, as someone who has tried and won a first degree murder trial, makes no sense to me.

Defense of course.

Maybe the guy was just walking through town, trying to mind his own business.

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is this the shooting? Its in Rockford.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=CpqPC_1609050258

Sorry if posted already.

I would think that must be it. Thanks!

It seems like the cops were already on the way there when the shooting started.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Posted yet?
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

or maybe he snapped?  

This nation has been at war for 2 decades. SOF has been in the thick of it since Sep 12th 2001. By the thick of it I mean that there are men with 8-10 years in sustained combat operations....or more and they are still at war in places that most US citizens can't find on a globe.

The operations that they are involved with have a way of insidiously wearing a man down. No front lines. No "safe areas"......just perpetually living and working in Indian country.  The psychological damage down to some men can remain hidden until something like this happens.  

Not making excuses for this guy.  Apparently he lost his shit and the real question that needs to be asked is why?  How did a guy lose his shit to the point that he killed 3 older American men and wounded a bunch more people?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or maybe he snapped?  

This.  In addition to this there have been several local news stories in the Fayetteville area involving someone who snapped, just in the last 60 days 2 major incidents.

There are systems in place  to “help” but at the end of the day these incidents are run rate “cost” of a 20 year war .  Humans aren’t wired for it and some break.

Not an excuse, but spotting this is hard.  It’s a safe bet more intelligent people are better at masking tells.  There may have been run up to this but we will see if anyone noticed.  

This is exceedingly rare so guaranteed the news will make it into something more than it really is.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sometimes I feel like I’m the only person in the US that remembers anything prior to 2016, especially anything from the 90s.

Xiden’s handlers and Kamel Hairass need some ‘tragedies’ to help usher in MOAR gun laws, MOAR power for .gov, MOAR restrictions on the citizenry.

We’ve seen it how many times in the past 26 years or so? Slick Willy and the Commiefucks want a bill passed, but it’s going nowhere. Ooohhhhh noooo, look what totally happened unexpectedly! Some guy shot some people. Well, here’s the bill we’ve been trying to pass, now we’ll just quietly make the shooter disappear and a complicit media will kill the story.

Want more .mil presence somewhere? Ooohhhhh noooo, look what totally happened unexpectedly! Someone bombed one of our ships/embassies.

Want to advance a bullshit narrative, look like an actual leader (to the people that are stupid enough to pay attention to infotainment “news”), get attention off your own crimes and misdeeds? Ooohhhhh noooo, look what totally happened unexpectedly!

This shooter will quietly disappear. This event will be used as an excuse for another power grab by .gov.

I’d love to be wrong.
View Quote

Remember the Maine!!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I was responding to someone who said that the only thing Rangers did was DA. This isn’t true. Yes, ONE of RRD’s missions is DA.
View Quote

Should have hit the 'quote all' button

Sua Sponte

Edited to remove the smiley, doesn't belong in a thread like this.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

PTSD doesn't cause people to do this.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Kinda seemed like the responses here were the opposite.

Lots of mental gymnastics were on display for the first handful of pages.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#40]
That's really bad.   What went wrong with this guy?
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Has it ever dawned on you all.

That some people just are evil and like to kill.??

Screw him he is a disgrace to the uniform. 100%
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Has it ever dawned on you all.

That some people just are evil and like to kill.??

Screw him he is a disgrace to the uniform. 100%
View Quote

He’s a disgrace to humans.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Weird flex, but ok.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Three strikes and they were out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#45]
If that probable cause report is legit he is a 1st class asshole and needs to locked up and never see the light of day.  Full blown Pvt Pyle shit right there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

or maybe he snapped?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or maybe he snapped?  

This. I don't know the exact figures but I remember a spitball that the average soldier (in his enlisted career) experienced 40 days of combat in WW2, 240 days during Vietnam, and close to 1200 days in OEF/OIF. I'm sure there are a ton of variances and factors, but I'm sure the distinction is still the same regardless.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I always enjoy threads where so many posts include statements like "I never served, but .......... " or "I'm not a veteran, but ......... " and then go on with some total bullshit.

Too many people think hollywood movies show reality.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I always enjoy threads where so many posts include statements like "I never served, but .......... " or "I'm not a veteran, but ......... " and then go on with some total bullshit.

Too many people think hollywood movies show reality.
View Quote

You left out "I have a friend"....
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You left out "I have a friend"....
View Quote
Yeah, that too.

"I have a friend who was a  ........... "
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:14:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Jeeze... now there's a story out of JBLM of an SF colonel beating his beating his wife and holding his kids at gunpoint during a stand-off with cops.

WTF

19 years of constant deployments with the potential PTSD, TBI, and substance abuse aren't doing our SOF guys any favors. It seems we've got another career and more importantly another family ruined. :(
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top