Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it depends on state.
That is a failure to disclose.
However, that particular system [exterior water pipes] may not specifically be mentioned or not enough mention to jog the seller’s memory.

You may have recourse for failure to disclose.
You may be better trying to negotiate some sort of split payment with the seller.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
But I want to sue somebody now!!

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Buddy if you wanted house with warranty, you should have bought new home.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL... I've got 1200 feet of PVC between the road and my house.  I'm pretty sure its coming up on about 25 years old now.  I did have to fix one leak a couple years ago where it ran down the back side of a terrace and developed a pinhole at a joint. Finding a leak on a 1200 foot line that has not come to the surface is no fun... but I'll spend a little time with a shovel before I'll spend $1400 to have someone else do it.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Contact a real estate lawyer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's going to be a whole lot of "it depends".  Starting with, what are the Oklahoma specific real estate disclosure laws?  Is the house in a municipality that has local jurisdiction on disclosures?  Last, off the top of my head, did you buy it from the guy or the estate?  Because the road is much harder if it's from a now closed estate.

the estate is still open
Contact a real estate lawyer.

The lawyer would cost him more than replacing the water line himself.  Rent a ditch witch for 1/2 A day and buy the pipe, fittings and glue at HD or Lowes.
My 125 feet water line is PVC.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes. The new owners want to know how you lay pipe. Disclose everything
View Quote

I would be careful with requests, he might be one of those that likes to show you personally.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 2:00:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The parts in bold are why the title company got involved because all that affects the title.  A crappily repaired buried water line in the utility easement that is 100% on the OP's property is not a title problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm quite certain it was the title insurance company since the problem began when I had a survey done and figured out my neighbors septic drain field and well were actually on my land, but behind his fence. He fenced in .65 acres of property that didn't belong to him and then sold the property without disclosing it  20 years ago. There was an undisclosed buried power line with no paperwork and the illegally modified septic system also

He also was able to get a loan from a bank  using the property as collateral ,12 years after he sold it.

The parts in bold are why the title company got involved because all that affects the title.  A crappily repaired buried water line in the utility easement that is 100% on the OP's property is not a title problem.

@Bubbles
They got involved because it was covered by my policy. The septic was entirely unrelated to the title issues, they paid out $25k for that because it was covered by the policy.

His "title insurance" policy may cover more than title issues. Every time this comes up , GD says the same thing without knowing what the insurance actually covers or excludes.. Ask your title insurance , it may be covered. If its not, then go with Plan B.

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#8]
OP is there any chance we can see what all was done? As a plumber I’m always curious what others charge. On paper, $1400 just to dig up and fix 1 bad section seems grossly absurd. But, there is always variables. Like water service is deep,had to bring in equipment, bad sticky clay and having to trace down leak because water doesn't always boil straight up above the leak, it sometimes travels before surfacing.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#9]
1 1/2 is way overkill for a residence.
I would slide a 3/4 black cold water pipe inside the previous too large PVC to avoid having to dig it all up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#10]
75 yards is a looong way to snake pex through without a pull string. I’ve never snaked that far but I’m thinking it wont do it by just pushing.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Guns aren't the only thing that get Bubba'd.  Welcome to home ownership, pal.  

"Pop installed it", isn't an admission of anything.  Pop probably fixed and installed many things.  Unless the seller had knowledge that something was wrong and failed to disclose it, I don't see any liability on them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Does the state/municipality require the work to done by a drainlayer or plumber?
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Who in their right mind would use PVC for anything other than drain waste or vent pipe?
View Quote

Water companies.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh noez! A homeowner did work on his own house!

Oh, the huge manatees!
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
75 yards is a looong way to snake pex through without a pull string. I’ve never snaked that far but I’m thinking it wont do it by just pushing.
View Quote

I ran a 110' of 1 1/2" PVC conduit to a RV pedestal. No fish tape that long so I used a rope, a carefully sized wad of blue shop towel and a shop vac to get the rope through the conduit.

Rather odd that OP's water line was run in 1 1/2" which leads me to believe a previous posted was correct in saying that it is probably DWV grade pipe and fittings.

As to those questioning the use of PVC for water service, it works fine, especially after one prices out 1" copper pipe and fittings. I just piped a water softener and an iron filter with all PVC.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes you have recourse, the seller is required to disclose.
They admitted they knew and failed to disclose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes you have recourse, the seller is required to disclose.
They admitted they knew and failed to disclose.

Can you post up a property disclosure from OP’s state so we can see where it says un-permitted /diy repairs need to be disclosed?

Quoted:
I think it depends on state.
That is a failure to disclose.
However, that particular system [exterior water pipes] may not specifically be mentioned or not enough mention to jog the seller’s memory.

You may have recourse for failure to disclose.
You may be better trying to negotiate some sort of split payment with the seller.

Typically you only have to disclose known defects, so if it was working at the time of sale…they were under no obligation to disclose. Now each state is different so OP’s may require diy repairs/work to be disclosed. But it’s highly unlikely, as I’ve never heard of any state’s property disclosure laws get that vague/broad.

Now here in VA, if seller advertised the fact the water lines were replaced that opens up a possible avenue. Here if you’re advertising something as new, the assumption is that it was professionally repaired or replaced.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Is it illegal to replace your water line or merely unadvisable?

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Can you post up a property disclosure from OP’s state so we can see where it says un-permitted /diy repairs need to be disclosed?
View Quote

My wife is getting out the paperwork

Doing repairs is not a big deal

But the breathless mouthbreathers posting on here dont seem to understand the previous owner had not fucking clue how to even chemically weld pipe together

The joints didn't stick, idiots
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Just repair it or get someone to do it, people do this kind of repair or replacement all the time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Rent a ditch witch and have the pipe replaced in 1 day.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#21]
As someone who "found' $40k worth of problems in a house that I'd owned for 8 months (that passed inspection with flying colors)...you're fucked.  Just have it replaced and move on with your life.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It breaks, all the time.  I hate it.  Gasketed mainline waterline pipe is fine since it can compensate for deflection and movement and the pipe is thicker.  I've replaced thousands of feet of glued PVC on places I've lived all with PEX, copper or Poly pipe.  You have a joint every 10 to 20 feet that can break if the ground moves, a excavator walks nearby or it's near a rock since pipe itself is brittle.  The only place I'd ever put glued PVC pipe is a utility type building that can handle some water damage.
View Quote

PVC pipe is supposed to be bedded...
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Only all water municipalities.
Yea, if your on city water it travels through pvc.
View Quote

...ductile iron, or steel, or fiberglass, or asbestos cement, or even wood (sad but true).
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quite a few don't use PVC and have never. .... actually it's poorly run idiots that don't know better still using PVC....this isn't 1985 anymore.
View Quote

Nothing wrong with PVC... better than HDPE. I'd still install ductile though.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There are disclosure laws depending on your state.

Who the fuck uses pvc for a main?

When I built my house I installed an 1 1/4" copper main.
View Quote

Direct burial copper? The fuck?
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OP - if you do hire a lawyer to pursue this, please come back when its all over and honestly tell us how it comes out, particularly in terms of how much you had to pay the lawyer to pursue a $1400 claim
View Quote

This is what I’m wondering, how much more is going to be spent on the legal aspect verse just rolling up your sleeves and getting dirty.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sch 40 pvc is standard for water line here. What's wrong with it?
View Quote

What state is GEO?
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Your nuts. I watch 8” installed all the time. Your water goes thriough pvc at some point. And water municipalities dont put in their water mains, the lowest bidder does.
View Quote

Like many things... depends on the municipality/utility.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

But the breathless mouthbreathers posting on here dont seem to understand the previous owner had not fucking clue how to even chemically weld pipe together

View Quote

Honestly, just reach out here: https://oklahoma.gov/orec.html

They are the “sanctioning body” for all real estate agents in your state. While they won’t have any “jurisdiction” over your situation (unless a realtor did something wrong), they’ll know the disclosure laws inside and out and can tell you any potential options.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Some cities specked out DIP,  most were gasket joint C 900 PVC .
View Quote

Recent super high oil prices had many contractors ordering ductile rather than pvc. Generally municipalities have a range of pipe options available.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It’s pvc pipe, rent a trencher and fix it. Big deal.
View Quote

That’s what the dead old man did
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Hire a lawyer.  Spend $5-10,000 for him to ultimately tell you it’s on you to fix it. Then call someone and pay them $2,000 to fix it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Did not expect this from an 02er.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Lawyer here- just fix it yourself.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It’s probably like replacing garage door torsion springs.
View Quote

Thanks for reminding me I need to replace a garage door spring...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Do a line locate before you dig any dirt.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I ALWAYS dig up everything utilities related before I buy a home.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’s pvc pipe, rent a trencher and fix it. Big deal.

It actually worked out pretty well for the dead guy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#39]
If the line had come loose for the previous owner, guess what he would have done? He would have fixed it again. Now, its your turn. I know its crazy, but the shortage of tradesman has just as much to do with homeowners being too lazy and too dependent to fix shit on their own. Yeah, it sucks that the old man mess ed up, but it happens. Spend a day and a few hundred bucks and fix it.

The shit people whine about.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Did not expect this from an 02er.
View Quote

Or a fellow Okie, just fix it OP and move on.  It will not be worth your time or money.  

I paid a guy $275 to just do some trenching for me this summer, about 350 feet.  I did my own water lines and electrical and called it good.

Home Depot rents a trencher for about $300 for the day.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The joints DID stick. Until they didn't. You don't know how many years ago the repairs were performed. Sucks but it's like buying "used" anything.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#42]
$300 for a day or so rental of a trencher and a $250 roll of hdpe and a couple fittings to attach each side and you're done.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Or a fellow Okie, just fix it OP and move on.  It will not be worth your time or money.  

I paid a guy $275 to just do some trenching for me this summer, about 350 feet.  I did my own water lines and electrical and called it good.

View Quote

Chain type trencher that will dig 18" is only $164/day at HD here. Deeper burial will require a contractor-grade trencher or a mini-excavator which might run $300/day. A bargain either way for the amount of work that can be done. Not to mention saving a lot of sweat.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Chain type trencher that will dig 18" is only $164/day at HD here. Deeper burial will require a contractor-grade trencher or a mini-excavator which might run $300/day. A bargain either way for the amount of work that can be done. Not to mention saving a lot of sweat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From a fellow Okie...that supply line will be less than a foot, probably considerably less.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Is it an item listed on the Disclosure?   (Y) (N)?

Is it specifically listed along with the other boilerplate?    Asbestos?     Flood?    Lead Paint?   Ghosts?    

Shit like that happens when you own a house.  It sucks, but you can’t just sue everybody.  Not worth the legal fees.  

Jerky Boys - Punitive Damages

Actually, file a do it yourself suit!    The irony alone makes it worth while!    

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

the joints that leak all look like the pipe pulled free of the pvc weld/glue.

the connections are purple, but not good and water is spewing out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you expand on this..... I'm curious how you fuck up pvc?

the joints that leak all look like the pipe pulled free of the pvc weld/glue.

the connections are purple, but not good and water is spewing out

lol He probably only used the primer and no cement.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It breaks, all the time.  I hate it.  Gasketed mainline waterline pipe is fine since it can compensate for deflection and movement and the pipe is thicker.  I've replaced thousands of feet of glued PVC on places I've lived all with PEX, copper or Poly pipe.  You have a joint every 10 to 20 feet that can break if the ground moves, an excavator walks nearby or it's near a rock since pipe itself is brittle.  The only place I'd ever put glued PVC pipe is a utility type building that can handle some water damage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sch 40 pvc is standard for water line here. What's wrong with it?

It breaks, all the time.  I hate it.  Gasketed mainline waterline pipe is fine since it can compensate for deflection and movement and the pipe is thicker.  I've replaced thousands of feet of glued PVC on places I've lived all with PEX, copper or Poly pipe.  You have a joint every 10 to 20 feet that can break if the ground moves, an excavator walks nearby or it's near a rock since pipe itself is brittle.  The only place I'd ever put glued PVC pipe is a utility type building that can handle some water damage.

What are you only burying PVC a couple inches under the ground? You do know farms all over the world have been using PVC since the 70’s? We have buried PVC from 24” to 1/2”, sure there is an occasional failure often due to improper winterization. On 500 acres I can count the failures we’ve had on one hand.

I can also say that most facilities were done by someone digging through the pipe. I have yet to have a failure from equipment and we have ran D-8’s as well as large excavators over the pipes. I’m not sure why you have issues but it’s leading me to think improper knowledge on proper installation.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

You've actually been given fairly decent advice, especially those saying fix it yourself.

Look who you're calling idiots, you prissy little bitch.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

From a fellow Okie...that supply line will be less than a foot, probably considerably less.
View Quote

No, everything we've dug up so far was at least 36" deep

36"-48" deep trencher runs about $350/day advertised at UnitedRentals.com

The dirt is Stillwater red dirt clay, although there haven't been a lot of rocks and what few have been mostly soft sandstone shale

Straight shot from meter to house about 75-yards, no trees or roots to go through. Only one utility crossing it and obvious where the intersection is

75-85 yards total dig, mostly straight shot with one possible turn at 30*-45* angle or slow arc, medium-soft dirt with no obstructions
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
People are really ignorant on pvc, huh.

Pvc has almost 3x the pressure rating over pex.

And yes pex does crack.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/445788/15D3512A-C22E-4031-B9B1-A95ACC9B34DC-2651179.jpg
View Quote

There is allot of it here that’s been posted. There is even a post of direct buried copper, if read the post correctly?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top